Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
May 30, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,456 of 2,191
Even the best Bluetooth audio (aptX HD) is less than 50% of lossless CD quality.
See the list below --

For critical audiophile listening, I use my hi-res wired desktop setup.
For listening and falling asleep in bed, I use my AKG N5005 buds (pillow friendly).
For casual listening while reading or working on the computer, I use the PX7 for its excellent sound.
For noisy neighbors or walking/exercising, I wear the Sony 1000XM3 for the Best ANC -- it magically shuts off the outside world completely.
If you can afford, get both! Even the old PX sounds excellent (I miss it sometimes because it looked premium and special).
To be clear, higher bitrates aren’t equivalent to better audio quality. AAC at 320kbs has been objectively shown to be audibly transparent. Anything else is purely subjective (which is a valid view, but it does remain subjective all the same).

May 31, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #1,457 of 2,191
To be clear, higher bitrates aren’t equivalent to better audio quality. AAC at 320kbs has been objectively shown to be audibly transparent. Anything else is purely subjective (which is a valid view, but it does remain subjective all the same).

Yes, this is true. And even 256kbps (and 192kbps!) is sufficient good for human ear and is proving this in blind testing. Is many more important the quality of the mastering than the (very high) bit rate.

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,458 of 2,191
The PX7 sounds more like the P9 than the PX, IMHO. Bass slams harder on the PX7 than the P9, but the soundstage is much wider so this doesn’t get in the way of the mids the way it sometimes does on the P9. That said, the P9 is more detailed, for obvious reasons.

Like the P9, the PX7’s performance can be rather dependent on quality of the source (especially the track itself).

In general, if you like the P9, you’ll like the PX7. Probably the best metric I can think of.
That sounds very interesting.
I enjoyed the P9 very much, but finally gave it up because of the very small soundstage.
How are the Mids compared to the P9?

Tomorrow the px7 arrives, I am already very excited...

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #1,459 of 2,191
That sounds very interesting.
I enjoyed the P9 very much, but finally gave it up because of the very small soundstage.
How are the Mids compared to the P9?

Tomorrow the px7 arrives, I am already very excited...
Mids are much better. The P9 had that weird dip in the lower midrange, which was detrimental to the overall tonality. The PX7 is more balanced and refined. The only thing P9 has over the PX7 is treble quality.

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #1,460 of 2,191
I am very sensitive around 1khz, so I hope that the px7 is not too present in this area.
The Flute in this Track is a good test for me

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #1,461 of 2,191
My Px7 is here.
After a few hours of listening, I am very enthusiastic!
The xm3 have to go....

Has anyone noticed a difference in sound quality between Aux and USB?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #1,462 of 2,191
I love the PX7 :L3000:

My Preset
Screenshot_20200605-161248_Neutron.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #1,463 of 2,191
Has anyone noticed a difference in sound quality between Aux and USB?
Glad you’re enjoying your PX7s! And yeah, USB should get the best possible sound out of them (especially with ANC turned off). Depending on the source aux may not sound better (or may even sound slightly worse) than wireless because of the additional digital-to-analog conversion.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,464 of 2,191
I listen 90% with anc.
My aux source is the Note9.
That's from the measurements, first class.

The questions I ask myself are:
do I have an additional a/d conversion via aux, or via usb, an additional d/a conversion?

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #1,465 of 2,191
I listen 90% with anc.
My aux source is the Note9.
That's from the measurements, first class.

The questions I ask myself are:
do I have an additional a/d conversion via aux, or via usb, an additional d/a conversion?

PX7 is always doing a D/A. If you use analog in you also get a A/D before the D/A. Thus USB in would be a better choice to avoid the A/D.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #1,466 of 2,191
does anyone have an idea why the px7 via USB is so quiet compared to Bluetooth or aux?

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #1,467 of 2,191
Huh... I’ve noticed the opposite when plugged into my iPad via USB. The volume level is notably louder compared to wireless (AAC).

If you’re plugged into a computer, might be worth checking that the output level for the PX7 isn’t super low for some reason (this volume level is separate than the overall computer volume). On a Mac, the PX7 shows up as if it were an external sound card.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #1,468 of 2,191
I forgot to mention that it is about the Note9 with current Android. With Windows the Px7 is much louder.

Gain is on 0db with Android.

The volume is identical with Neutron and USB Audio Player Pro

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #1,469 of 2,191
It seems to be a issue with the usb speed,

because the music stutters when I place the USB access to direct.
And thats the reason why the px7 is so quiet:
the Hardware volume is disabled, only software volume is active.

The issue is existing with Neutron, also with usb audio player pro.

Maybe the developer's can help...

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #1,470 of 2,191
When you set output frequency to 96khz, everything works perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back