Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
May 23, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #1,441 of 2,191
BASIC THOUGHTS BETWEEN PX7 AND H9i

Up front, PX7 wins. And it’s not really close.

My use-case is primarily using headphones at home, playing games on the computer or listening to movies/tv shows on my tv. If I’m out and about, I tend to use airpods, and I don’t listen to a ton of music. More of a podcast/audiobook guy. I also don’t travel much, so the noise canceling feature is more for me to drown out when my fridge or A/C kicks on, or neighbors in my apartment complex. I don’t use multi-pairing much, if at all. I tend to hardwire into a computer if I want to listen or pay attention to games, and connect ONLY to a device when I’m using it. I don’t care about using them on the phone based on my use-case.

SOUND QUALITY

I’m not an audiophile, but if I listen to music, it tends to be classical, jazz, that sort of thing. Mostly instrumental. And I prefer a nice wide soundstage for positional cues while gaming, and I find a wider soundstage more immersive in movies.

I almost always test my headphones with the same few things.

• Chamber Music test ->
    • I use this test because it carries a spread of range, and the musicians are all amazing enough to ensure that they are blending well when performing. So does that blend come across? Any ranges of instruments that really stick out badly, or overall seem to be louder and not properly blended?
  • Large Big Band test ->
    • Great tune. A LOT going on. Can I hear it or focus in on individual moments? When the timbales come in, do they sound like they’re far away from the rest of the band to the left? Do the keys sound natural and does the sax come in clear, but not piercing? Great tune.
  • Spacial soundstage tests 1 and 2 -> and
    • Basically to see how immersive they are. Like I said, to ME, immersive means I want to hear distance. It’s a good indication of how well space engineered in a movie will sound. Does the rain sound like it’s right on my head, or actually around me? Is the door that opens and closes far away or really close?

When it comes to sound quality without ANC on, they’re both very good, just different.

• H9i, yes can be sibilant when listening to screeching trumpets in my big band music, or when a soprano sax or clarinet go high, but I can lower the volume a bit and enjoy it.
  • PX7, has this sort of “veil” over it. It seems to blend the sounds better and nothing is really punctuated or sharp. I can see what people mean when they say that these are not fatiguing. You can listen to them for hours and be fine cause there’s no sibilance or anything.
Then you turn the ANC on….

• H9i, horrible. Well, maybe HORRIBLE is a little strong, but there’s a such a difference and it’s so much worse it’s really noticeable. And not enjoyable. That was an immediate disqualification for me.
  • PX7, so little of a difference, I’m not even sure I hear one. Sounds pretty much the same. Still really good.
Features-wise, the PX7 beats the snot out of the H9i. The app is awesome, with its ability to choose which devices you want to pair, easily set differences in ANC, the buttons are very easy and intuitive. The H9i connects to whatever the hell it wants to when you turn it on. So maybe I have to go into my other room that has my ipad and open it, and disable bluetooth so it can forget that pairing and MAYBE connect to what I actually WANTED it to connect to. And the touch pad wasn’t as bad as everyone says. It worked about 90% of the time for me. But compared to buttons that worked 100% of the time, well, buttons won the round. I love the idea of the replaceable battery. But the sound with ANC and the very VERY sparse app, well, it’s not worth it.

The only thing that REALLY makes me mad with PX7, is the latency. It’s very musical. It’s got good soundstage. The app and buttons/features on the headphones are really good. Comfort is really good. It’s not super “exciting” but it’s very pleasing to listen to…. And then I connect it to my Bluetooth transmitters to watch movies, and there’s 150ish milliseconds of latency between sounds and visuals. And it breaks it.

BTW, I was super excited to read about this aptx adaptive, and it’s 50-80ms of latency, only to have a rude awakening that NOTHING has it!!! So it’s a useless codec to have in my headphones. No transmitters have it. And some phones of brand names you didn't even know made phones. So what the hell is the point? ESPECIALLY for my particular use case. So as great as the features and everything are, I’m still looking for a headphone. Cause I can’t sit here and watch my movies and TV and see that god-awful out of sync audio/video. Congrats B&W. Your advertising suckered me into a purchase that I literally can't use, and there are no companies that make transmitters that allow me to use your WONDERFULLY advertised aptx adaptive. Thanks a-hole marketing department for making me blow $400 on something that on paper fits my needs, and in reality fits NO ONES NEEDS CAUSE IT REALLY DOESN'T EXIST ANYWHERE!

Alexi

Have you consider some APT-X Low Latency models?
Maybe the Sennheiser Momentum 3 or the Shure AONIC 50 could fit to you.

May 23, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,442 of 2,191
BASIC THOUGHTS BETWEEN PX7 AND H9i

Up front, PX7 wins. And it’s not really close.

My use-case is primarily using headphones at home, playing games on the computer or listening to movies/tv shows on my tv. If I’m out and about, I tend to use airpods, and I don’t listen to a ton of music. More of a podcast/audiobook guy. I also don’t travel much, so the noise canceling feature is more for me to drown out when my fridge or A/C kicks on, or neighbors in my apartment complex. I don’t use multi-pairing much, if at all. I tend to hardwire into a computer if I want to listen or pay attention to games, and connect ONLY to a device when I’m using it. I don’t care about using them on the phone based on my use-case.

SOUND QUALITY

I’m not an audiophile, but if I listen to music, it tends to be classical, jazz, that sort of thing. Mostly instrumental. And I prefer a nice wide soundstage for positional cues while gaming, and I find a wider soundstage more immersive in movies.

I almost always test my headphones with the same few things.

• Chamber Music test ->
    • I use this test because it carries a spread of range, and the musicians are all amazing enough to ensure that they are blending well when performing. So does that blend come across? Any ranges of instruments that really stick out badly, or overall seem to be louder and not properly blended?
  • Large Big Band test ->
    • Great tune. A LOT going on. Can I hear it or focus in on individual moments? When the timbales come in, do they sound like they’re far away from the rest of the band to the left? Do the keys sound natural and does the sax come in clear, but not piercing? Great tune.
  • Spacial soundstage tests 1 and 2 -> and
    • Basically to see how immersive they are. Like I said, to ME, immersive means I want to hear distance. It’s a good indication of how well space engineered in a movie will sound. Does the rain sound like it’s right on my head, or actually around me? Is the door that opens and closes far away or really close?

When it comes to sound quality without ANC on, they’re both very good, just different.

• H9i, yes can be sibilant when listening to screeching trumpets in my big band music, or when a soprano sax or clarinet go high, but I can lower the volume a bit and enjoy it.
  • PX7, has this sort of “veil” over it. It seems to blend the sounds better and nothing is really punctuated or sharp. I can see what people mean when they say that these are not fatiguing. You can listen to them for hours and be fine cause there’s no sibilance or anything.
Then you turn the ANC on….

• H9i, horrible. Well, maybe HORRIBLE is a little strong, but there’s a such a difference and it’s so much worse it’s really noticeable. And not enjoyable. That was an immediate disqualification for me.
  • PX7, so little of a difference, I’m not even sure I hear one. Sounds pretty much the same. Still really good.
Features-wise, the PX7 beats the snot out of the H9i. The app is awesome, with its ability to choose which devices you want to pair, easily set differences in ANC, the buttons are very easy and intuitive. The H9i connects to whatever the hell it wants to when you turn it on. So maybe I have to go into my other room that has my ipad and open it, and disable bluetooth so it can forget that pairing and MAYBE connect to what I actually WANTED it to connect to. And the touch pad wasn’t as bad as everyone says. It worked about 90% of the time for me. But compared to buttons that worked 100% of the time, well, buttons won the round. I love the idea of the replaceable battery. But the sound with ANC and the very VERY sparse app, well, it’s not worth it.

The only thing that REALLY makes me mad with PX7, is the latency. It’s very musical. It’s got good soundstage. The app and buttons/features on the headphones are really good. Comfort is really good. It’s not super “exciting” but it’s very pleasing to listen to…. And then I connect it to my Bluetooth transmitters to watch movies, and there’s 150ish milliseconds of latency between sounds and visuals. And it breaks it.

BTW, I was super excited to read about this aptx adaptive, and it’s 50-80ms of latency, only to have a rude awakening that NOTHING has it!!! So it’s a useless codec to have in my headphones. No transmitters have it. And some phones of brand names you didn't even know made phones. So what the hell is the point? ESPECIALLY for my particular use case. So as great as the features and everything are, I’m still looking for a headphone. Cause I can’t sit here and watch my movies and TV and see that god-awful out of sync audio/video. Congrats B&W. Your advertising suckered me into a purchase that I literally can't use, and there are no companies that make transmitters that allow me to use your WONDERFULLY advertised aptx adaptive. Thanks a-hole marketing department for making me blow $400 on something that on paper fits my needs, and in reality fits NO ONES NEEDS CAUSE IT REALLY DOESN'T EXIST ANYWHERE!

Alexi

My understanding

I have PX7 and the Aptx Hd codec only work if connect to an APTX HD source/device

I have a DAP with Aptx Hd so when paired with PX7 u get the same codec
My iPhone has AAC so when connected to PX7 u get AAC not APTXHD

May 23, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #1,443 of 2,191

Alexi

I don’t see how it is B&W’s fault that your sources don’t support a certain codec. If it’s a deal breaker for you, had you checked if your equipment supported it? If yes, you knew they didn’t. If no, how’s that B&W’s fault? They do support it, now it’s up to the source manufacturers to support as well.

May 23, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #1,444 of 2,191
Have you consider some APT-X Low Latency models?
Maybe the Sennheiser Momentum 3 or the Shure AONIC 50 could fit to you.
I'm messing with the Momentum 3 right now too (have one in my possession). It has the opposite problem than the PX7 for some reason. Great a/v sync while watching TV with an aptx-ll transmitter, but horrible lag when using it with my ipad. The PX7 is horrible lag when watching TV (it defaults to apt-x or aptx-hd), and good a/v sync with my ipad. But I've got some work-arounds in mind.
I don’t see how it is B&W’s fault that your sources don’t support a certain codec. If it’s a deal breaker for you, had you checked if your equipment supported it? If yes, you knew they didn’t. If no, how’s that B&W’s fault? They do support it, now it’s up to the source manufacturers to support as well.
Not B&Ws fault. I'm just mad and need to point the finger somewhere. lol. But realistically, I saw that the apt-x adaptive had been introduced over a year ago, bought the PX7 based on sound reviews and just ASSUMED that aptx-adaptive was officially a thing based on what I read about it and based on the articles outlining that qualcomm discontinued aptx-low latency in favor of this adaptive. They DO sound great, but I didn't realize just how sparse this adaptive codec was until after they arrived and I started looking for bluetooth transmitters for my TV and just couldn't find one that supported adaptive. I just really hope it catches on, and doesn't end up going the HD-DVD route.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,445 of 2,191
Yesterday I receiving the shure aonic 50 (sa50) but only today I having the time for trying one hour. I didn't wanting waiting for later because I want today speaking only about the sound.

I trying in the past many (anc) wireless headphones, for example sennheiser momentum 1 and 3, dali io6, sony 1000xm1 and 3, b&o h8, h9, h9i, h9 3rd gen, master & dynamic mw65, b&w px, px7 and p7 wireless,

Only for the sound the shure aonic 50 is the best of everything in my opinion. In the past my favourite with or without anc is always (for 3,5 years) the p7 wireless (no anc) and the second is momentum 3 (with anc). This is first time in 3,5 years I hearing better sound in wireless headphone and this is in the sa50. This is in my opinion the real most close to a correct flat/neutral sound, is the most close with the good sound produced in real life.

I will commenting in next days other aspects like anc, ambient sound, eq in the shure app, the design and buttons, the construction and comfort.

I'm really very happy surprised for the sound.

One comment is that right now I have only b&w p7 wirelsss and sony xm3. I selling momentum 3 before because the sony is having much best anc than sennheiser.

Edit: I forgetting I also having in the past bose qc30, qc35, qc35II and nc700

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #1,446 of 2,191
Yesterday I receiving the shure aonic 50 (sa50) but only today I having the time for trying one hour. I didn't wanting waiting for later because I want today speaking only about the sound.

One comment is that right now I have only b&w p7 wirelsss and sony xm3. I selling momentum 3 before because the sony is having much best anc than sennheiser.
My Shure Aonic 50 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I'm currently wearing Momentum 3's as I type this. I've also owned Sony WH1000Xm3 and Bose QC35ii in the past, as well has currently have in my possession a PX7 and H9i, both of which I'll DEFINITELY be returning.

MY intended purposes are likely different than many on this forum. I want good ANC headphones mostly for video media consumption as opposed to music... watching TV/movies and, and playing video games. So I want accuracy, I don't mind a little bit of "exciting" to make movies and gaming fun, but I prioritize clarity and soundstage over accuracy/perfectly flat response.

I like separation and clarity of details; footsteps in games, background sounds in movies, that sorta thing. For example, I was listening to an episode of Sopranos a week or two ago, and it was in a restaurant, and the sound was AMAZING as I heard clinking of glasses and silverware from the other customers and it made it much more immersive cause it sounded like there customers at tables far away from me, not right next to my ear. The sound engineers for that show were pretty freakin' good!

And very low latency - which is why I got rid of the WH1000xm3 and QC35... watching my TV was basically a ticking time bomb till I went crazy from audio/video sync if I wasn't using Aptx Low Latency. Once I figured out how to get the aptx-ll codec to be selected by my transmitter with the Momentum 3, I felt SO much better. I really do like these headphones, despite a few features that I wish the app had.

I also don't need a LOT of ANC. I use them only at home, and the ANC is used just to keep my AC, or refridgerator, or my neighbor who goes outside to talk on his phone and smoke a few times a day from distracting me while watching TV.

I'll post my thoughts as well maybe a day or two.

Alexi

May 24, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #1,447 of 2,191
I currently own all of the top ANC headphones and the Shure A50 and the PX7’s are my favorites. I think I would give the slightest of edge to the PX7. I love the darker, warmer sound signature of the B&W a bit more than the analytical sound of the Shures. It really depends on what I am listening to tbh.

May 27, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #1,448 of 2,191
Signed up to leave a review for the PX7, but I've been lurking for a long time and read through the entire thread!

Some background:

Along with many people here, I own the B&W P7W and they are my favorite BT headphones. Simply fantastic, with a great sound signature. Since I first bought those, I've been looking for headphones that produced a similar lively sound, while offering solid noise cancellation. I’ve tried many of the top ANC headphones over the last few years, including the Sony XM3, Sennheiser M3, B&O H8i and H9i (I currently own the H9i), B&W PX, Bose QC35 & 700 and a number of others. For one reason or another, I didn’t like most of them and ended up with the H9i.

In this review, I will be providing a direct comparison between the H9i and PX7, as well as referring to the P7W at times. I’m an amateur audiophile at best, so I’ll be keeping it simple for the most part.

My PX7’s have 19.11 in their barcode (so made in November, last year, which means not the very first batch) and are running on the latest firmware.

Design and Comfort

Design
– without a doubt, the H9i wins here. Made with lambskin earpads, a cowhide headband and aluminum body, it’s gorgeous. The only other ANC headphones that can compete in terms of sheer luxury are from Master & Dynamic or the older B&W PX and P7W.

That being said, the PX7s are no slouch and are still a very premium set of cans. The ballistic nylon feels nice and the carbon fiber is cool as hell. I just wish they were somehow a little more creative in terms of looks, like the PX. Compared to the H9i, the PX7 also just looks much bigger on your head, while the H9i’s are much sleeker.

H9i – 9/10

PX7 – 8/10

P7W – 9/10

Comfort – once again, this goes to the H9i’s, but only just. They are lighter (285g) compared to the PX7 (310g). It’s not a big difference, but it is certainly noticeable. The clamping force on the H9i’s is also far less than PX7, so you don’t feel them as much. I do believe that the PX7s will get a bit looser as I wear them more, so this too isn’t a big issue. Still, overall, the H9is are a bit more comfortable. I have to mention that the PX7s do a much better job providing that circumaural experience, as my ears fully fit in the earcups, without teaching the earpads. Which can’t be said for the H9i’s, due to their round earpad shape, it’s almost semi on-ear.

Also, worth mentioning, the PX7’s are so far ahead of the PX and P7W in terms of comfort, they are not even in the same league. With the P7W I would get a hotspot on the top of my head within 30 min and would constantly be adjusting the band, while the PX had FAR too much clamping force. B&W has taken some great strides forward in the comfort department, no doubt. Do they beat Bose or Sony? No. Are they comfortable? Yes.

H9i – 8.5/10

PX7 – 8/10

P7W – 6/10

Noise Cancellation

The PX7’s win here, easy. They offer very good noise cancelling, plain and simple. In fact, they compete with both Sony and Bose. Yes, those two brands still edge out the PX7’s, but only slightly – it’s not going to make a real difference to the vast majority of people. The H9i’s can’t compete. They do a solid job blocking out noise, but the PX7s are much more similar to what the Sony XM3 does in terms of just drowning out everything around you. I have also not been able to tell any discernible difference in terms of sound quality between Low and High mode on the PX7’s, so I just leave them on High.

PX7 – 9/10

H9i – 7.5/10

For reference sake, XM3 – 9.5/10

Connectivity

Win for the PX7 here. Rock solid Bluetooth connection with Bluetooth 5.0, multipoint connection for connecting to two devices simultaneously, the latest BT codecs including AAC, Aptx, Aptx HD and Aptx Adaptive. The H9i in comparison, has BT 4.2 and only AAC. It’s one of the best things about the PX7, they are certainly very future-proof.

In terms of buttons, H9i only has the on and off button, which... is flimsy and kind of broken on my pair. It often doesn’t register me turning it on or off and I have to flip it a few times. Touch controls work very well though and I have never had issues using them. PX7’s buttons are nice, have a good clicky, tactile feeling. The placement on the right earcup is a little awkward though, as you’re likely to accidentally press them when putting or taking off your headphones till you get used to them.

Both headphones have a transparency mode and both work well. I would give the H9i’s the edge here, as it’s much quicker to turn it on (simply swipe up on your right earcup), whereas the PX7’s need a two sec press. It’s a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, it still works very well. Wear sensor on the PX7 works well (like pulling up one earcup will pause the music), no issues there.

PX7 – 9/10

H9i – 7.5/10

Battery Life

Once again, PX7 wins here, although it is not as clear cut. The PX7’s come with 30 hours of battery life with ANC on, which is very good, as well as quick charge (15 min will give you 5 hours of playback). On the other hand, the H9i do around 18 hours, which isn’t great. The big difference however, is that the H9i’s batteries are easily replaceable. In fact, you could just buy multiple batteries, keep ‘em in your backpack and then could realistically have as much playback time as you would want. I know most people won’t do this (I didn’t and never had any issues with battery life), but it’s certainly something to consider.

Sound Quality

Now, finally, the big one. For me, the PX7 wins here. To my ears, they are much closer to the P7W’s in terms of sound signature, compared to the PX or any other ANC headphones I’ve listened to… other than the Sennheiser M3. They were never an option for me though, as I dislike their design and the battery life without replaceable batteries is just appalling.

The PX7’s offer an incredible soundstage, very clear instrument separation and just a very rich and full sound. Coming from the H9i, I did think they sounded slightly muffled/veiled at first, but that’s mainly due to the H9i’s sound signature, which is very bright and puts a strong emphasis on clarity. The H9i deliver great sound, but for me, the bass was lacking both in quantity and quality. It lacked that oomph and wow-factor I want out of my headphones, which the P7W delivered in spades and now the PX7’s too. It’s also worth mentioning that the PX7’s in general sound a bit darker than the brighter H9i’s. One issue I did have with the H9i’s that they sounded a bit shrill at times, depending on what music you listened to, slightly unpleasant.

I know some people liked the sound of the PX7’s and some didn’t in the thread. That makes sense, everyone has their own taste. I very much enjoy the PX7’s, they sound great to me. If you want a very full sound with great soundstage and rich bass, I think the PX7’s are a great option. They particularly suit pop, hip-hop, electronic, jazz etc. The H9i’s are great too, with a brighter sound. The are particularly well tuned for acoustic, country, classical music (although I thought full orchestra sounded better on the PX7) etc. It just really depends on your preferences.

No score for this, as it’s just so subjective.

Conclusion / TL;DR

You can’t really go wrong with the PX7’s or H9i’s. They are both premium headphones and they both deliver great sound. The PX7’s are more future-proof, with the latest connectivity features, superior ANC and a rich and full sound signature. The H9i’s are gorgeous with a precise and clear sound signature, as well as being very comfortable. Not to mention, great value at $260 on Amazon.com. Having tried the H9 3rd Gen, which have a marginal improvement in bass, I would say get the H9i's over those. Just a better value proposition.

For me, the PX7’s are the clear winner, the sound signature very much appeals to me, they are comfortable, have strong ANC capabilities and are future proof. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one of these cans, but I definitely encourage you to check out the PX7’s. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

May 27, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,449 of 2,191
- I've had the PX7s a few months now and the headband has broken in nicely. No fit issues for me.
- I think my biggest nitpick with the PX7s is the ANC button. I really wish you could swap functions so that transparency mode becomes the primary button press. I'm just gonna leave ANC on max all the time anyway so I don't see any urgent need to toggle ANC modes on the fly, while that 2-second delay in triggering transparency means you're always going to miss the beginning of whatever outside audio you were trying to catch.
- PX7 owners have been asking asking for EQ in the (largely useless) app, but I'm like...whatever. I've grown accustomed to the sound. The bass is still a bit thick so it's not the best can for audiophile listening at home, but the sheer convenience of wireless+multipoint connectivity means the PX7s are still my go-to in the house. My HD650s are miles ahead of the PX7 (or any other ANC can for that matter lol) but with those, I'm tethered to my desk. With the PX7 I can still catch up on my tunes slouched on the sofa with a Xbox gamepad in hand.

I own the QC35 and Sony XM3, and those are always going to be the popular mainstream choices, but the PX7 is definitely right up there if you're looking for all-rounder ANC can that's a little more premium.

May 28, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,450 of 2,191
I currently own all of the top ANC headphones and the Shure A50 and the PX7’s are my favorites. I think I would give the slightest of edge to the PX7. I love the darker, warmer sound signature of the B&W a bit more than the analytical sound of the Shures. It really depends on what I am listening to tbh.

Hi,
Would you please compare and describe those two, A50 and PX7, just in terms of sound, in more detail.
Thanks!

May 29, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #1,454 of 2,191
Hi,
Would you please compare and describe those two, A50 and PX7, just in terms of sound, in more detail.
Thanks!
I am so bad at comparing in detail. I can find good in each of the headphones I own. But I will try. The Shure A50 are very neutral and clear. Lotsa detail. Perfect for slower music. The PX7 are much bass-ier and just seem to be a bit more fun on quicker, heavier songs.
Hope this helps. I stink at describing what I hear.....

May 30, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #1,455 of 2,191
DSD64/128 files cannot be played over BT (at least I haven’t found a way yet) so that is a drawback and/or a reason to use wired.

Even the best Bluetooth audio (aptX HD) is less than 50% of lossless CD quality.
See the list below --
1590822756372.png

For critical audiophile listening, I use my hi-res wired desktop setup.
For listening and falling asleep in bed, I use my AKG N5005 buds (pillow friendly).
For casual listening while reading or working on the computer, I use the PX7 for its excellent sound.
For noisy neighbors or walking/exercising, I wear the Sony 1000XM3 for the Best ANC -- it magically shuts off the outside world completely.
If you can afford, get both! Even the old PX sounds excellent (I miss it sometimes because it looked premium and special).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back