Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Mar 19, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,366 of 2,199
Well it's been some months with my second pair purchased through another seller (first kept giving me defective headsets and just gave up). I'm super happy with them other than the occasional weird bluetooth connection problems and dropouts, but no worse than any headset I've owned.

I'm still wondering though... any updates on APTX adaptive? For instance a PC usb dongle or something that would allow me to make use of adaptive it's various profiles?
I don't think there are any dongles that specifically uses aptX Adaptive, however, in terms of SQ, aptX HD seems to spec out a little better. Honestly, if you're using it at your PC at home, I think you're covered with any of the existing aptX HD (music) or aptX LL (movies) dongles.

Adaptive
1584639607696.png

HD
1584639646606.png

Mar 20, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #1,368 of 2,199
Can anyone who has heard both the Sony WH1000xM3 and the B&W PX7 (and, preferably someone who has done a direct A/B comparison between them) please comment on which of them has deeper, stronger, more punchy bass and just more bass quantity in general? Because literally half the internet and YouTube reviews I read/watch say that the B&W has more bass, and the other half say the Sony has more bass and I can't get a clear picture with that dissent...?

Thanks!!

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,369 of 2,199
Can anyone who has heard both the Sony WH1000xM3 and the B&W PX7 (and, preferably someone who has done a direct A/B comparison between them) please comment on which of them has deeper, stronger, more punchy bass and just more bass quantity in general? Because literally half the internet and YouTube reviews I read/watch say that the B&W has more bass, and the other half say the Sony has more bass and I can't get a clear picture with that dissent...?

Thanks!!

I own only the B&W PX7, but I don't know anyone wanting more base than B&W PX7 provides in the box. Its really a strong bass present. If you need more you can use any app with equalizer. Also PX7 have a win feature for me that I can't go back after using it for the past weeks. you can pair and connect it two devices same time, that means if you use a smartphone and a PC/TV to listen music/videos, you don't need to disconnect none, it's seamless passing 1 device to another without the intervening of anyone. This is a thing that only after use it for some time, you realize how important it is. Also you can still listen to music while charging, Sony as far I know it can't. Sony is not a contest for B&W in any new feature. The only thing Sony does better is ANC, and not for a long margin. PX7 are saving my life here at home with the family, because of COV-19. I put it ANC in High mode, I stop listen to every one :). Just me and my computer so i can work in peace :)

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #1,371 of 2,199
Right guys
After after wearing PX7s for 4 hrs outside walking around (part of my job) I found the following
Using iPhone X and Apple Music

1 - Volume levels are fine, most tracks go very loud but some tracks and some sound levels are lower obviously depending on quality of recording

2 - Able to connect to 2 x Bluetooth devices at the same time, works excellent for me as I have a work phone and need to take calls while walking the streets, so I can listen to my music on my iPhone and when my work phone rings I can take calls while wearing headphones so won’t miss any calls.

3 - Receiving calls while wearing, very good and people can hear me loud and clear

4 - I can control my music via Apple Watch or using buttons on headphones

5 - Sound quality is superb

6 - ANC didn’t really work to great out on the streets , but when on the bus I couldn’t hear fellow passengers

So very happy with PX7 commuting to work and using while at work ( no more annoying wires) but at home listening I tend to use wired P7 with a DAC (Cyrus Soundkey) for the ultimate sound quality

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,372 of 2,199
As an owner of the Sony 1000xM2 and the PX7 my advice would be to take whichever happens to be on special offer :) The 1000XM2 is now about half the price of either current models.

The ANC on the Sony is superb, I think better than anything else on the market. Sonically the PX7 is better. Otherwise it’s feature nitpicking, like “I can use the Sony in passive mode” vs “I can connect two devices to the PX7” (passive mode means also ability to play DSD and not using the DAC of the HP), etc

Given that both are meant to be a mobil/travel/etc headphones, don’t set your expectations too high - both are good sounding, but if SQ and critical listening is your main target, forget ANC and BT and get something superior for the same price.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,373 of 2,199

Thanks!!
I have both. Both of them out of the box, the PX7 has more & deeper bass. Because the XM3's bass can be adjusted via Sony Headphones App, you can get to ridiculous levels of bass, but to me, it still does not reach as deep or as a textured as the PX7. Bass on the XM3 is fairly monotone, so I don't typically reach for it unless I'm traveling or going to the gym. The PX7 is simply sonically superior. If you just want "more bass" and that's your endgame, then go for the XM3.

Mar 24, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #1,374 of 2,199
Today I listened to some Al Jarreau albums from the 80‘s („Jarreau“ and „L is for Lover“) sitting in a crowded bus with lots of children and much noise. If I listened to these albums with my wifes QC35II one must push the volume nesrly to max. With the PX7 I was completely isolated from any noise (ANC Mode AUTO) with 50 to 55% volume and they sounded fantastic. I am very pleased with this high value product.
After a few days/weeks with quite intense use my perception changed. The more I listen to the P7W the less I like the PX7 - strange.. Its much clearer although the bass is quite punchy on the P7W and somehow pretty much often dominates the sound signature. As I always wanted to use an On Ear with ANC I now wait for the DALI IO-6, which will be delivered tomorrow. Hope the DALI fit my needs :wink:

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #1,375 of 2,199
After a few days/weeks with quite intense use my perception changed. The more I listen to the P7W the less I like the PX7 - strange.. Its much clearer although the bass is quite punchy on the P7W and somehow pretty much often dominates the sound signature. As I always wanted to use an On Ear with ANC I now wait for the DALI IO-6, which will be delivered tomorrow. Hope the DALI fit my needs :wink:
They're just different animals. I have both and enjoy both, which flip-flops depending on my mood/use. I know it becomes a challenging decision when you have to choose. I say, why choose? :p

Mar 24, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,376 of 2,199
I have both. Both of them out of the box, the PX7 has more & deeper bass. Because the XM3's bass can be adjusted via Sony Headphones App, you can get to ridiculous levels of bass, but to me, it still does not reach as deep or as a textured as the PX7. Bass on the XM3 is fairly monotone, so I don't typically reach for it unless I'm traveling or going to the gym. The PX7 is simply sonically superior. If you just want "more bass" and that's your endgame, then go for the XM3.

So basically the WH100xM3 is only the bass endgame because it can have its bass elevated with the EQ? If both headphones are not EQ'd, the PX7 actually has more bass?

Mar 24, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,377 of 2,199
So basically the WH100xM3 is only the bass endgame because it can have its bass elevated with the EQ? If both headphones are not EQ'd, the PX7 actually has more bass?

Please note that @hifi80sman post doesn't say the all story. WH100xM3 have an app with EQ and PX7 doesn't, that's true. But that doesn't means that you can't use an EQ with PX7. Any music player with an EQ you can use it. The only difference is that Sony provides an app for that, and with PX7 you need to find one (if you need it). I used one, not for bass, because it gives me already plenty of bass, but for treble. I had to tame it because it's to harsh in some musics.

Mar 24, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #1,378 of 2,199
Out of the box, the PX7 has more/better quality bass. The XM3 has an App which interfaces with the on-board DSP that can increase bass to insane levels and remember the setting.

While you could use a 3rd party App to EQ the PX7, it's an additional signal processing variable outside of the PX7's own DSP, which I'm not a fan of in terms of impact to overall SQ.

Mar 31, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #1,379 of 2,199
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I'll be curious if anyone with big ears can comment, but I know I can at least try on the Bose around me, so having a reference to those will help for online ordering the remaining. I am actually hoping the XM3 might be around me to try anyway; although, I suspected what you noted. I should probably bring myself to IEM type devices, but I can't.

Am I missing any other options? The io6 sound like they might not be very comfortable; although the driver size suggests they might fit my ears and be worth a try.
It was a treat to read your posts and relive my experience, although I started at around page 36. I also have learned A LOT reading the informed opinions of some people here.
My first foray into bluetooth headphones was in 2015 with the Jaybird Bluebuds X which I still own and use daily. I know, not the best around but still good enough.
I’m now (finally) in the market for a serious pair of around ears.
I still haven’t bought the PX7, but I will, as soon as these present times calm down. My first absolute priority is sound. But all the rest must also make good sense.
I tried most of the cans in a similar price point and here’s my (very short, as there’s a lot of info elsewhere) take:
(in no relevant order)
B&O H9 - great sound, great features... but round earcups. Who has round ears? Come on.
Dali I-O6 - amazing sound, although a bit tame on bass. Round earcups... again.
Sennheiser M3W - Great sound, not so great features, not a fan of the aesthetics.
Sony XM3 - all is good but too much bass, so... out.
Bose QC35II or NC700 - linear trademark sound, awesome features, great comfort. 2nd version better than the 1st in some features. Maybe my second choice but just maybe not exciting enough soundwise.
B&W PX - Awesome sound, awful comfort.
Did not try the Lagoons or the AT’s or any other but read much about most.

PX7’s - haven’t tried, haven’t held, nothing. But from what I’ve heard/seen/read these must be the ones. And they will be, soon.

Cheers all!

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,380 of 2,199
First of all decide of you need ANC - most/all on your list are ANC cans. If you don’t need it, don’t pay for it - like the IO4 is some 100$/£/€ cheaper than the IO6.

The PX7 is a great pair of cans, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back