Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Feb 29, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #1,351 of 2,199
My local audio store run a leap year promo, 20% off, ie 319€ delivered. I took the plunge, my first ever B&W product.

my wife took a shine to my Sony 1000m2, so it’s a good reason to get something for myself :D

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #1,352 of 2,199
I can only speak for myself, but most cans have the buttons along the bottom of the earcup and I've never had an issue with that. \shrugs

Not any kind of dealbreaker or anything like that, more of a nitpick really.

ah ok these are my first wireless cans so I didn’t know other cans hard controls on the bottom, I do tend to press the volume buttons when putting on my head

Mar 2, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,353 of 2,199
ah ok these are my first wireless cans so I didn’t know other cans hard controls on the bottom, I do tend to press the volume buttons when putting on my head
You'll get used to it. Once you've done it over and over, it'll become almost involuntary.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #1,354 of 2,199
I used my credit cards points to buy the PX's a couple of years back. Used them mowing the lawn if it wasn't too hot outside. Used them at the gym or whenever doing household chores where wireless is more convenient. They sounded good. My wired buds from Periodic Audio much, much better. I have a Chinese IEM from Linsoul that sounded better. Sold them. Used more points to the PX7. Not nearly enough volume for my norm but sound decent on some tracks and like mud on others. My source is Tidal HiFi. They feel lighter and not quite as substantial. Sound hopefully matures into something really nice. I will keep them for awhile and probably sell them off.

Mar 15, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #1,357 of 2,199
Hi guys, can anyone help me to test this track "The Wind of Life" by Joe Hisaishi ? I wanted to know if my PX7's issue or the recording quality, I listen to this using bluetooth APTX HD, set the highest spotify quality. At volume 100% there is a very noticeable distortion especially when the piano is played in the high note. Volume 80% there is some slight distortion. I also test using wired 3.5mm cable the sound is generally louder and distortion is even more noticeable. I am wondering if in general PX7 cant handle such high note then this is a design flaw

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #1,358 of 2,199
Many systems sound distorted at 100% volume.- why run so loud?

Also why don’t you use a streaming service that has HD quality like Amazon Music HD or Qobuz or Tidal?

Spotify is famous for being inferior to HD quality.

It’s best to move away from Spotify for this hobby. I advise Amazon Music HD.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #1,359 of 2,199
Hi guys, can anyone help me to test this track "The Wind of Life" by Joe Hisaishi ? I wanted to know if my PX7's issue or the recording quality, I listen to this using bluetooth APTX HD, set the highest spotify quality. At volume 100% there is a very noticeable distortion especially when the piano is played in the high note. Volume 80% there is some slight distortion. I also test using wired 3.5mm cable the sound is generally louder and distortion is even more noticeable. I am wondering if in general PX7 cant handle such high note then this is a design flaw

The PX7 doesn't audibly distort. It's most likely a recording/mastering artefact. Have you set the volume to 100 on your source AND your headphone?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #1,360 of 2,199
Thanks for your reply Asspirin & Pro-Jules, usually I listen at 80% even at 80% there are some noticeable distortion so I put at 100% is more noticeable. As some pointed out that PX7 at 100% isnt loud enough for some, for me 80% is just nice. I hope its just an artifact issue.

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,362 of 2,199
I have a try with Tidal, found the same song but with different album , mastered copy , no distortion. Found the same album in Spotify as well no distortion, I'm glad the earlier problem was due to poor quality record

https://tidal.com/track/131721170
I was about to ask you what album you listen the distortion. The track found in "this is...Joe Hisaishi" is pretty bad encoded. PX7 is not forgiven to bad encoded tracks, that's for sure.
And you should not listen through 3.5", PX7 have it's own DAC, you are double losing quality. your sound card is converting to analog..then px7 converting again to digital.
you should stay digital-digital, bluetooth or usb-c. if you want the most quality from PX7, usb-c is the way to go. if you want comfort, bluetooth aptx hd, ofc.

Mar 16, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #1,364 of 2,199
I was about to ask you what album you listen the distortion. The track found in "this is...Joe Hisaishi" is pretty bad encoded. PX7 is not forgiven to bad encoded tracks, that's for sure.
And you should not listen through 3.5", PX7 have it's own DAC, you are double losing quality. your sound card is converting to analog..then px7 converting again to digital.
you should stay digital-digital, bluetooth or usb-c. if you want the most quality from PX7, usb-c is the way to go. if you want comfort, bluetooth aptx hd, ofc.

thanks for the tips, very much appreciated. I thought 3.5mm would retain the better quality than bluetooth

btw Joe Hisaishi has a whole mastered quality album on Tidal https://tidal.com/browse/album/131721144

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #1,365 of 2,199
Well it's been some months with my second pair purchased through another seller (first kept giving me defective headsets and just gave up). I'm super happy with them other than the occasional weird bluetooth connection problems and dropouts, but no worse than any headset I've owned.

I'm still wondering though... any updates on APTX adaptive? For instance a PC usb dongle or something that would allow me to make use of adaptive it's various profiles?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back