Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Feb 23, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,321 of 2,199
Hi all, Just register in this great forum to give my two cents about the B&W PX7 that I bought last week.
I had some concerns because I read a lot before I buy a product, and not all people liked the PX7. I know it's impossible to please all, so I went and bought it anyway. It ticked the most boxes in paper I was after.
Now the results:
1. Sound quality
Bluetooth: 4.5/5.
It will depend really the source of your files. If you have a free Spotify account or listen any other "low" quality tracks, you will notice the bad encode. That's not PX7 problem, its the opposite, it is good enough to detect low quality encoded tracks. Still they sound amazing from my pixel 4 in Aptx Hd connection with FLAC tracks using Foobar.
Cable connection:
- 3.5": I will give 2/5, because it gives me a "hooooo" sound if the volume is more than 40% with no sound playing. I've not that problem when connected to Usb-c cable or Bluetooth (Thanks god for that or I had to return them, the sound is really annoying ).
- USB-C: 5/5. It's really great the sound that comes from the cans using the Usb-c connection. the sound is more precise and more spacial. You only notice if you are looking for it. The difference is not that large, but it's there.

2. Comfort: 5/5.
I use them 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon. They are very comfortable. This was a worry of mine, they passed with flying colors for my ears. I've small ears, BTW. You will not forget that you have the headphones, but you will notice that you have a super smooth leather in touch of your skin.

3. ANC: 5/5.
Right now I've ANC off, just because the passive noise isolation is fantastic. In my office I don't need more than that. Tried the ANC in AUTO and asked my coworker to talk and scream to me. I didn't listen to a word. That's good enough for me. In a next plane trip I will update my score if needed. Till now it's more than enough.

4. Connectivity: 5/5.
My Pixel 4 didn't recognized the PX7 at first, I was worried, restarted the Pixel, after that it paired in a couple of seconds. I blame Pixel for that.
It pauses the music when you remove them from your head to listen to someone, that's a great feature and for now it works great.
Never lost a connection moving around with them also.

My other cans are:
AKG K550 used at home in my computer connected to a ES9023P DAC.
On the move I use my B&O Beoplay E8 also wireless.
I used Sennheiser IE6 before and NuForce Primo 8 after them.
They all give worst sound than PX7 (AKG k550 I need to test it more vs px7. they are really god cans for the price.)
Connected to my TV I've B&W 600s series 5.1 set connected to my Denon AV.

I studied on an professional music school from the age of 6 till 14. Never left the music passion, and always tried to have a good dac/sound as far as my money let me to have.

Hope this helps someone as other reviews helped me.

Regards,

Joao.

same here I am using PX7 with pixel 4xl. I used to have Pixel 2xl, noticeable difference is the bluetooth 5.0 support, I can get slightly more range without losing bluetooth connection

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #1,322 of 2,199
Do any of the forum members have data on the Thailand and/or Malaysia pricing? I'm heading there shortly and would like to know if it's worth picking a pair up over there and which might be cheaper place to do that?

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #1,323 of 2,199
I'm new here and a bit new to getting a BT set, but of all the threads on this forum, I've spent about 2 weeks reading through this whole thread; although, at nearly 90 pages, I've certainly missed some things.

I've probably learned more from this thread than anything I've been reading elsewhere. I'm going to start my own adventure with BT headphones, and I suspect the PX7 will be part of that adventure. For background, my priority is actually comfort with sound secondary and battery, portability, and ANC after that. My plan is to use this for longer flights and work, and the best sound quality may not mean much if I can't keep them on my head (because of discomfort)

The question I have that I haven't seen directly discussed is how big the openings on the ear cups are relative to other models discussed and compared? I have big ears (75 mm high) that stick out a bit (not horribly) and a bit of a larger head. Where I am at, I don't have easy access to all the different models, so I'll have to use Amazon for trying. But, I'd rather not buy any of these if I would immediately find them too small. I also wear glasses, which would also complicate things. Right now I have an old set of Sennheiser RF type headphones at home that fit my ears pretty well (that I'll replace soon with a fully wired pair), although it gets a bit rough to wear them for much more than an hour or two because of my glasses. I would probably live with that level of comfort as I can always take my glasses off if I'm just listening on an airplane.

The PX7's seem to be relatively comfortable by a lot of posts here, and they seem to work ok with glasses. People seem to consider them comparable to the M3's and perhaps a little less comfortable to the Bose or XM3 options. I recognize some of that comfort goes with clamping force, which I'm a little less concerned about as it might be necessary with glasses

Does anyone with bigger ears have anything to speak to regarding the size of the PX7 for big ears and comfort?

My current plan is to try the PX7's, Bose (QC35 or 700), XM3, and M3 given an understanding they all might work with my ears, but if anyone knows any of the above flat out wouldn't work, I'm all ears (literally and figuratively).

And thanks to the discussion here, I am aware of most the sound quality issues among all in the group above. I am hoping that a couple of the above will work with my ears and for comfort and that I can then use sound quality to choose.

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,325 of 2,199
I'm new here and a bit new to getting a BT set, but of all the threads on this forum, I've spent about 2 weeks reading through this whole thread; although, at nearly 90 pages, I've certainly missed some things.

I've probably learned more from this thread than anything I've been reading elsewhere. I'm going to start my own adventure with BT headphones, and I suspect the PX7 will be part of that adventure. For background, my priority is actually comfort with sound secondary and battery, portability, and ANC after that. My plan is to use this for longer flights and work, and the best sound quality may not mean much if I can't keep them on my head (because of discomfort)

The question I have that I haven't seen directly discussed is how big the openings on the ear cups are relative to other models discussed and compared? I have big ears (75 mm high) that stick out a bit (not horribly) and a bit of a larger head. Where I am at, I don't have easy access to all the different models, so I'll have to use Amazon for trying. But, I'd rather not buy any of these if I would immediately find them too small. I also wear glasses, which would also complicate things. Right now I have an old set of Sennheiser RF type headphones at home that fit my ears pretty well (that I'll replace soon with a fully wired pair), although it gets a bit rough to wear them for much more than an hour or two because of my glasses. I would probably live with that level of comfort as I can always take my glasses off if I'm just listening on an airplane.

The PX7's seem to be relatively comfortable by a lot of posts here, and they seem to work ok with glasses. People seem to consider them comparable to the M3's and perhaps a little less comfortable to the Bose or XM3 options. I recognize some of that comfort goes with clamping force, which I'm a little less concerned about as it might be necessary with glasses

Does anyone with bigger ears have anything to speak to regarding the size of the PX7 for big ears and comfort?

My current plan is to try the PX7's, Bose (QC35 or 700), XM3, and M3 given an understanding they all might work with my ears, but if anyone knows any of the above flat out wouldn't work, I'm all ears (literally and figuratively).

And thanks to the discussion here, I am aware of most the sound quality issues among all in the group above. I am hoping that a couple of the above will work with my ears and for comfort and that I can then use sound quality to choose.
PX7 - Large, deep openings. Good for larger ears.
Bose (either) - Similar to the PX7.
XM3 - Better than the XM2, but still a little smallish and shallow. Works fine for me, but my ears are not large and do not stick out. They are "just right" for me, but sound like they may be small for you.
M3 - Large, deep openings.

I think in terms of roominess, the XM3 is not in the running.

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #1,326 of 2,199
PX7 - Large, deep openings. Good for larger ears.
Bose (either) - Similar to the PX7.
XM3 - Better than the XM2, but still a little smallish and shallow. Works fine for me, but my ears are not large and do not stick out. They are "just right" for me, but sound like they may be small for you.
M3 - Large, deep openings.

I think in terms of roominess, the XM3 is not in the running.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I'll be curious if anyone with big ears can comment, but I know I can at least try on the Bose around me, so having a reference to those will help for online ordering the remaining. I am actually hoping the XM3 might be around me to try anyway; although, I suspected what you noted. I should probably bring myself to IEM type devices, but I can't.

Am I missing any other options? The io6 sound like they might not be very comfortable; although the driver size suggests they might fit my ears and be worth a try.

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,327 of 2,199
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I'll be curious if anyone with big ears can comment, but I know I can at least try on the Bose around me, so having a reference to those will help for online ordering the remaining. I am actually hoping the XM3 might be around me to try anyway; although, I suspected what you noted. I should probably bring myself to IEM type devices, but I can't.

Am I missing any other options? The io6 sound like they might not be very comfortable; although the driver size suggests they might fit my ears and be worth a try.
You could try the Dali or the B&O H9, but the round earcup design may be an issue. However, the H9 is generally comfortable for most people, due to the low clamping force and pillow-like earpads.

If comfort is #1, Bose will probably be near the top, as the PX7 has a little higher clamping force than the rest. It does work itself out, however, generally speaking, the consensus is Bose is king of comfort. That being said, for me, I can wear the PX7 3-4 hours straight and don't really like the Bose sound.

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #1,328 of 2,199
Do any of the forum members have data on the Thailand and/or Malaysia pricing? I'm heading there shortly and would like to know if it's worth picking a pair up over there and which might be cheaper place to do that?

Malaysia Bowers & Wilkins at Mid Valley mall is selling for RM2000, very good service. they gave me 1 to 1 exchange when my first unit have some issue with clicking noise

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #1,330 of 2,199

The inside size of PX7 cups and are about 60mm, with your ears being 75mm there are going to be a pressure on them. I don't know if you feel uncomfortable when pads are pressing your ears. I do, because of an operation I had in 1 ear. Any pressure on it I will notice. All 40mm drives you mention will do some pressure on your ears. Only you can tell if they are going to be comfortable for you. What I can tell is that the materials used in PX7 are premium and very soft to the skin. The clamp force that some mention here I don't have it and I use glasses and my head is medium large. I found a normal pressure so a seal can be made. They are closed cans not open. I really have sensitive ears, I can't even sleep on 1 side because of my sensitive ear, and I sleep with a Tempur pillow. I can only have in ears or overhead headphones. PX7 passed in my comfort test. That I can tell you, but again, each person have their problems, only you can decide on comfort.

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #1,332 of 2,199
Amazon UK has the silvers for £275...too good to be true? I'd like to pick up a pair and I think the silvers are terribly drab, compared to the space greys, but that price...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back