Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Jan 6, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #1,231 of 2,191
The PX7 has approximately the same amount of Bass as the XM3. But it's very fast and well textured. No comparison the the XM3's rather sloppy bass reproduction.

The P9 and PX7 are quite equal to each other when it comes to detail reproduction and sound stage. The P9's stage is a little deeper, the PX7's is a bit wider. The main difference is the tuning: The P9 have a dip in the lower midrange, which messes with midrange tonality. The PX7 doesn't have that, so I'd say it's better than the P9 when it comes to timbre and tonality. The P9 has superior, rather flat treble and better dynamics, though. The PX7 follows a different approach with a dip in the lower treble, which makes it sound rather dark (and muffled for some), but a slight emphasis around 10khz to retain detail and texture. As a result, Cymbals sound rather artificial on the PX7, but still not as bad as, for example, with the XM3. Overall, I like the PX7 more than the P9 because of better midrange tonality.
Totally agree. Bass quantity is about the same as the XM3, but the quality is far superior on the PX7.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,232 of 2,191
The P9 and PX7 are quite equal to each other when it comes to detail reproduction and sound stage. The P9's stage is a little deeper, the PX7's is a bit wider. The main difference is the tuning: The P9 have a dip in the lower midrange, which messes with midrange tonality. The PX7 doesn't have that, so I'd say it's better than the P9 when it comes to timbre and tonality. The P9 has superior, rather flat treble and better dynamics, though. The PX7 follows a different approach with a dip in the lower treble, which makes it sound rather dark (and muffled for some), but a slight emphasis around 10khz to retain detail and texture. As a result, Cymbals sound rather artificial on the PX7, but still not as bad as, for example, with the XM3. Overall, I like the PX7 more than the P9 because of better midrange tonality.

Thanks for the feedback. I came across something that may help you get more enjoyment out of the P9. I had mixed feelings about them for months after buying, until I replaced the stock cable. I bought a fairly inexpensive “silver plated copper audio cable” compatible with the P9 and P7 off of Amazon, and it is a perfect match for the P9. It tames the excessive mid bass, gives a small boost to the lower midrange, and adds a bit more sparkle to the highs. I do listen to them driven off of a Chord Mojo, which also helps to counterbalance the P9’s shortcomings, so your mileage may vary.

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,233 of 2,191
My replacement PX7 came today. Quite possibly psychological, but I think this pair is a tad less muffled sounding. No problems with them so far. The only unique identifier I found on the on the package was on the barcode the first pair had “19.10” and the replacement has “19.11”. Who knows if that is a hardware revision, shift, line, “batch”? Need a lot more time with this new pair, but so far much better impression. I’ll try them next to the P7W later tonight after the kids are in their rooms. The PX7 is really nice with the noise cancelling at swim practice right now. :)

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,234 of 2,191
My replacement PX7 came today. Quite possibly psychological, but I think this pair is a tad less muffled sounding. No problems with them so far. The only unique identifier I found on the on the package was on the barcode the first pair had “19.10” and the replacement has “19.11”. Who knows if that is a hardware revision, shift, line, “batch”? Need a lot more time with this new pair, but so far much better impression. I’ll try them next to the P7W later tonight after the kids are in their rooms. The PX7 is really nice with the noise cancelling at swim practice right now. :)
Obviously, you have measurements for both and are planning on posting those tonight. :p

The PX7 are still on sale for $346 (Amazon), so thinking about picking them up again after returning my Momentum 3. The build on the M3 just wasn't up to what I expect for $400. The sliders progressively become looser and looser over time.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #1,236 of 2,191
Hi guys, little question here.

As i saw px7 has not prev/next button. So is there a way some how skip or rewind the song, without touch the phone?

Thanks
Yes. Double click the center button is track forward and triple press is previous.

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #1,238 of 2,191
One more thing i read from five or six different person on youtube, amazon reviews etc, they complain about a sound degradation/fluctuation on high volumes (when anc max).

What do you think about that, is it correct? Because if it is so, it is a deal breaker imo.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,239 of 2,191
One more thing i read from five or six different person on youtube, amazon reviews etc, they complain about a sound degradation/fluctuation on high volumes (when anc max).

What do you think about that, is it correct? Because if it is so, it is a deal breaker imo.

1. They fixed this with the last Firmware Update

2. Listening to the PX7 at these volume levels is physically unbearable when you have a halfway decent hearing. The sound degradation people were speaking of was probably related to their eardrums being liquefied and bleeding into the earcups.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #1,240 of 2,191
1. They fixed this with the last Firmware Update

2. Listening to the PX7 at these volume levels is physically unbearable when you half a halfway decent hearing. The sound degradation people were speaking of was probably related to their eardrums being liquefied and bleeding into the earcups.

:) Thanks for info. It is valuable for me.

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #1,241 of 2,191
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,242 of 2,191
Hi! I bought PX7 a week ago and just registered here for a question. Why is it written on back side of the box: "Immersive over-ear headphone featuring a custom 40mm driver..."
Why not 43mm?
Or it's on my box only?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,243 of 2,191
Hi! I bought PX7 a week ago and just registered here for a question. Why is it written on back side of the box: "Immersive over-ear headphone featuring a custom 40mm driver..."
Why not 43mm?
Or it's on my box only?

I think they all say 40mm driver on box my replacement also has 40mm on the box direct from bowers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back