Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 28, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,051 of 2,191
That would mean you can't run the headphones wired when the battery is empty. Doesn't make much sense to me. That seems to be the most used case for the average customer. Using a cable when the battery is empty.

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,052 of 2,191
The analog input is ran through an A/D converter and then back through the DAC even if ANC is turned off. This is the reason power is required even with analog.
If that's the case then I really don't see a point of using it wired any other way than through USB. You might get a different sound signature going passive, but if anything it can only be worst through extra AD and DA conversion.

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,053 of 2,191
That would mean you can't run the headphones wired when the battery is empty. Doesn't make much sense to me. That seems to be the most used case for the average customer. Using a cable when the battery is empty.
I'd say other than these forums, its a pretty unlikely scenario for the average consumer who has after all bought wireless for a reason!

If that's the case then I really don't see a point of using it wired any other way than through USB. You might get a different sound signature going passive, but if anything it can only be worst through extra AD and DA conversion.
Completely. I suspect they only even include the analogue input for legacy/flight adapter purposes.

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #1,054 of 2,191
Do these are better with glasses then the PX. I have the PX for sometime now but now i'm forced to use glasses (age is a pain) and to use the PX i have to put the glasses in the upperside of the cup wich is annoying. Do these allow glasses? I read somewhere the cups are no longer leather but s-leather?

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,055 of 2,191
Do these are better with glasses then the PX. I have the PX for sometime now but now i'm forced to use glasses (age is a pain) and to use the PX i have to put the glasses in the upperside of the cup wich is annoying. Do these allow glasses? I read somewhere the cups are no longer leather but s-leather?

In my opinion yes they are better with glasses.

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,056 of 2,191

Much better with glasses, not a problem at all. Even bulkier sunglasses.

Nov 28, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,057 of 2,191
Unfortunately, at least for me, I don't really have glasses that would work hooked over the ear cups. Not an idea solution anyway. I think any over-ear headphones designed for mobile use should factor in glasses, so I again question whether or not ANC was a primary design feature of the IO-6. I can't shake the feeling the Dali headphone project started with the IO-4 and the IO-6 is the IO-4 with outsourced ANC tech tacked on. That said, I hear absolutely no difference glasses on/off. ANC on/off, sure. And I agree they are the most neutral and detailed, but I am not sure about natural. I reject the idea that neutral categorically equals good. But this is very much a preference question. I also wouldn't say the PX7 isn't detailed, I think they are.

Yesterday's IO-6 city test was disheartening in a way I didn't anticipate: It is parka season already where I'm currently based, and I like to wear my hood up. The IO-6 profile is much wider than the PX7, and the plastic ear cups rub against the hood making all kinds of scratching noises. The form of the PX7 prevents this, but so does mesh. Can't say thats a reason they put a soft fabric on the headband and cups, but it is a nice unforeseen benefit of this design decision. I think I'm taking the IO-6s back to the store today. I just don't have any real use case for them. The ear pad design is not great, lacks convenience features that I need while mobile, the ANC isn't anywhere near the PX7, and I do believe they sound anemic. A matter of taste, however.

IMHO, the PX7s are just so much better at what a wireless ANC headphone should do. And to me it sounds closer to what live rock and metal sounds like (the main things I listen to when I'm not listening to Kanye). These headphones are distinguished mostly by two very different approaches to headphone tuning. Neither objectively better or worse. I vastly prefer the B&W approach. If I keep the IO-6s, they'll suffer the same fate as my neutral IEMs that only get used at the gym. Actually, they'd suffer a worse fate, I'd probably never reach for them ever with the P9 and PX7 also within reach.

For those trying to decide between the IO-6 and PX7, there's no easy answer other than what your preferences and priorities are in this investment. I'm all but settled on the PX7, and all the IO-6 trials have done for me is reassure me that I've chosen correctly (for my ears and my needs from my mobile cans).
I understand. My situation is different from yours in that I already have the Bose N700 and Airpods Pro for my mobile and business use. I work from home and take a lot of calls, as well as travel for business where mic quality is very important. The PX7 for me kind of sat in a no mans land. It is loaded with features, but so is my Bose N700. When it comes to sound quality, I prefer the Momentum 3 and Dali io-6 to the PX7. And I actually find the Bose N700 more consistent. For me, the PX7 either sounded great or harsh depending on what I was listening to. And the PX7 fell below all of the others when it came to mic quality. Without complete silence, the PX7 were all but useless for calls. But in saying all that, I actually still recommend the PX7 for those looking for a jack of all trades wireless ANC headphone where mic quality is not important. It still sounds good, and it's loaded with all the modern features of today. The Bose N700 is my other recommendation for when excellent mic quality is a necessity.

go with what your ears feel like they enjoy the most... I went with Dali, it was fairly easy decision for me, as soon as I put them on, I didn't want to take them off.
Agreed. I wanted a wireless ANC headphone for home use. I desired neutrality, detail, and musicality. The Dali's fit perfect for that. Actually sounds really good with music, movies, and games.

The PX7 definitely are an improvement over the PX when it comes to bass response consistency with glasses. I do agree with Rtings and their opinion on Treble consistency though, and I don't agree with them on much. I'll just quote what they said:

"The Bowers & Wilkins PX7's frequency response consistency is sub-par. On the upside, the ANC system of the headphones seems to check for consistent bass, but they don’t seem to perform as consistently in the treble range. This means that most people won’t hear voices, lead instruments, and sibilants the same way as someone else. You might even experience differences in sound just by placing the headphones in a different position on your head."

This to me explains why we are seeing so many different opinions when it comes to the PX7's SQ. We all have different head sizes, shapes, and ear size. The PX7s are headphones you really need to try for yourself, although you can say that about all headphones. You may find the SQ Excellent with your glasses.

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #1,059 of 2,191
Bought these the other day, liking the sound quality. Have the XM3 as well and if your primary objective buying a noise cancelling pair of headphones is for noice cancelling - get the Sony lol.

Will look to try the PI4 for a more portable noice cancelling option I think.

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #1,060 of 2,191
Bought these the other day, liking the sound quality. Have the XM3 as well and if your primary objective buying a noise cancelling pair of headphones is for noice cancelling - get the Sony lol.

Will look to try the PI4 for a more portable noice cancelling option I think.
I want Wirelesses Bluetooth soundquality but that i can use with glasses. I love the px except for treble rolloff but we cant have it all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back