Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 28, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #1,036 of 2,191
I'm also of opinion that with active headphones, the built in DAC/amplifier is perfectly matched for the drivers, no need to use in in passive mode.

Not sure if I fully agree here.... Internal DACs may be optimized for the drivers, but even then their performance will ultimately be determined by the quality and specs of the components.... In my experience with a Dragonfly Red, Carbon and iFi iDSD Micro, I clearly hear big improvements over the internal DACs in both the PX7 and the DALI IO-6 .

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #1,038 of 2,191
I just want to say I hate all of you :). I have been trying to decide between the Dali IO-6s and the PX7s for a couple of weeks now. Every time I think I have decided, I come hear and read someone's opinion of one or the other and then I have to go back and test them again.

go with what your ears feel like they enjoy the most... I went with Dali, it was fairly easy decision for me, as soon as I put them on, I didn't want to take them off.

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #1,039 of 2,191
Nov 28, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #1,040 of 2,191
Not sure if I fully agree here.... Internal DACs may be optimized for the drivers, but even then their performance will ultimately be determined by the quality and specs of the components.... In my experience with a Dragonfly Red, Carbon and iFi iDSD Micro, I clearly hear big improvements over the internal DACs in both the PX7 and the DALI IO-6 .

I've had a few answers from B&W the first via Amazon and then twice directly - all three have been very subtly different responses which is frustrating. The first basically said there is 'no need' as the internal DAC will offer Hi-Res via the wired connection which didn't quite answer my question. The second was that while the difference may not be significant the Dragonfly would be sending a better signal to the internal DAC which made sense to me but then further reading made me doubt this. So i asked again and the final response (as posted here) was that while you can use it there would be basically no difference.

So having tested the DF Red & Carbon with the PX7 you have found they offer improvements on top of the internal DAC?

Nov 28, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #1,041 of 2,191
So having tested the DF Red & Carbon with the PX7 you have found they offer improvements on top of the internal DAC?

Not a shred of doubt ... They do ..

Nov 28, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #1,042 of 2,191
Not a shred of doubt ... They do ..

I sometimes plug into my DX220 and find it’s a bit better, but perhaps it’s better to say just different. I have the NuTube amp for the DX220 and I think it retains some of the character from that as it passes through the PX7 DAC. It sounds different than AptxHD, and I get the sense there’s a little more there, but nothing I’d pick up while out and about. So it’s really only something I’d do at home. But at that point, I’d just be listening to my P9s.

Nov 28, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,043 of 2,191
So it’s really only something I’d do at home. But at that point, I’d just be listening to my P9s.

True .. but since I have no DX220 and spend a lot of time traveling, the Dragonfly Carbon is a nice addition to improve musical entertainment while stuck in a hotelroom :)

Nov 28, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #1,044 of 2,191

The PX7s internal DAC can’t be removed from the signal chain even with the analog input. So, at the very best you like the coloration added using those external DACs and the analog input.

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,046 of 2,191
Wondering how an analogue signal can enter a DAC, but maybe I'm just dumb
Quite. That said if the PX7's are designed in the same way as the PX part of their fundamental design is that they upscale everything to 768kHz, which means that presumably an analogue signal is first digitised before passing through their upscaling DAC.

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #1,050 of 2,191
The analog input is ran through an A/D converter and then back through the DAC even if ANC is turned off. This is the reason power is required even with analog.

Having ANC for analog on flights is the reasoning I do believe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back