Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #946 of 2,191
No kidding, I'm a drummer as well, been playing off and on since the 1980s. No formal training, some natural ability and a great appetite for humble pie. I eat quite a bit of that. Cheers. Well, some formal training if you count grade nine music class (which you shouldn't). I only stayed because I was crushing huge on Christina Belanger, damn was that girl attractive. The music teacher, Mr. St Louis was pretty cool though. He let me bring in my live Rush vinyl of All the Worlds a Stage and play Working Man which had the pretty fantastic drum solo by Neil Peart in it. Still have that record. Never got the girl though :frowning2:
Haha. I’m familiar. I always welcome the brotherhood of a fellow musician.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #947 of 2,191
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #948 of 2,191
Why should one think of buying the PX Headphones ((PX/PX5/PX7) when owning the P7W? For me the P7W is perfect, just bought another special edition of it. I can remember very good the times where headphones lasted at least 10 years or even longer...
disposable society..
I have all three, I can tell you each has its own character that I enjoy for certain music/occasion. P7W is a keeper because of its direct input and sound signature that's great for classical, but I enjoy the sound image from PX7 which feels more like listening to a pair of nice loudspeakers. PX is more vocal centric.

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #949 of 2,191
Tempted to compare these with the M3's after reading so many mentions of them on here - enjoy my P7W that are bit worn down now and PX7 would be my go to but concerned about the lack of passive. I love bluetooth but it's good to be able to switch to a DAC and cable at times? Are there any experience of what the onboard DAC and wired is like on the PX7's?

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #950 of 2,191
Since the people who own and have been loving the PX7’s are more silent, let’s hear it, what do you love about them?
I love how easily they let me get lost in whatever I'm listening to. B&W headphones have always been special in that regard and for me, the PX7 is the best of the bunch.

I love how massive the soundstage is, and how that helps layer instruments and vocals together. I also really like how B&W handled the low end on these; it extends deep and hits hard without sounding congested most of the time, and is balanced pretty nicely by some extra energy in the upper range. The midrange isn't the star like it was on the PX but it's still present in the mix. Someone mentioned before that poorly mastered tracks suffer the most on these headphones and I agree—stuff with loose bass or grainy treble will sound harsh on these. As an aside, I often feel like I've been listening to different headphones than others on here; these don't sound dark to me at all, the bass isn't loose like it (comically) is on the XM3, vocals don't sound hollow and recessed, and the sound signature does improve by becoming more relaxed and even when plugged into a good source (aux, but also USB C). I don't know... I pretty much feel the same way as others did about the P7W, PX, and XM3, but I don't quite follow some of the criticisms I've seen here. Maybe my vocabulary isn't quite there.

The ANC is also plenty effective at knocking out background noise, and doesn't exhibit any of the sound-compromising qualities that Mid and High did on the PX. I've found the Auto ANC mode to work really well. Combined with how spot-on the wearing sensors have been for me, I literally just put these on often don't need to press any buttons on them (aside from adjusting volume). These are small things but they add up to an extremely convenient wearing experience. The lighter weight materials also do feel much more comfortable compared to both the PX and the P7W, but I miss the magnetic ear cups from those models. Despite being lighter the PX7 still look smart and feel sturdy (I also haven't experienced any of the build issues that others have mentioned).

I really like the app, too. Being able to pair, unpair, and remove devices from my phone is extremely convenient. I can switch between my iPhone and iPad just by pausing on one and playing on the other. Coming from the XM3 (which doesn't support multipoint), it's a very welcome change. And finally, the battery life is really, really good. I can get a week of daily listening in, then just continue listening via USB C for a little while and they're ready to unplug again.

So yeah, I think these are pretty special and I've been enjoying the hell out of them.

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #951 of 2,191
As an aside, I often feel like I've been listening to different headphones than others on here; these don't sound dark to me at all, the bass isn't loose like it (comically) is on the XM3, vocals don't sound hollow and recessed, and the sound signature does improve by becoming more relaxed and even when plugged into a good source (aux, but also USB C).

Spot on post. Especially this.

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #952 of 2,191
OK, so noticed a few things.

There is a small "clicking" sound in each ear when I move my head left or right. It doesn't sound quite like driver flex, rather, a soft clicking sound.

Also, callers report I sound a bit muffled. This is disappointing. :\

I actually picked up the M3 again to direct compare, and it looks like this time the leather on the top side of the headband is much better. Still not a fan of the sliders compared to the M2 and the ear cups do feel a little lesser than the M2 ear cups. I am starting to appreciate the rubber buttons, however.

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #953 of 2,191
I love how easily they let me get lost in whatever I'm listening to. B&W headphones have always been special in that regard and for me, the PX7 is the best of the bunch.

I love how massive the soundstage is, and how that helps layer instruments and vocals together. I also really like how B&W handled the low end on these; it extends deep and hits hard without sounding congested most of the time, and is balanced pretty nicely by some extra energy in the upper range. The midrange isn't the star like it was on the PX but it's still present in the mix. Someone mentioned before that poorly mastered tracks suffer the most on these headphones and I agree—stuff with loose bass or grainy treble will sound harsh on these. As an aside, I often feel like I've been listening to different headphones than others on here; these don't sound dark to me at all, the bass isn't loose like it (comically) is on the XM3, vocals don't sound hollow and recessed, and the sound signature does improve by becoming more relaxed and even when plugged into a good source (aux, but also USB C). I don't know... I pretty much feel the same way as others did about the P7W, PX, and XM3, but I don't quite follow some of the criticisms I've seen here. Maybe my vocabulary isn't quite there.

The ANC is also plenty effective at knocking out background noise, and doesn't exhibit any of the sound-compromising qualities that Mid and High did on the PX. I've found the Auto ANC mode to work really well. Combined with how spot-on the wearing sensors have been for me, I literally just put these on often don't need to press any buttons on them (aside from adjusting volume). These are small things but they add up to an extremely convenient wearing experience. The lighter weight materials also do feel much more comfortable compared to both the PX and the P7W, but I miss the magnetic ear cups from those models. Despite being lighter the PX7 still look smart and feel sturdy (I also haven't experienced any of the build issues that others have mentioned).

I really like the app, too. Being able to pair, unpair, and remove devices from my phone is extremely convenient. I can switch between my iPhone and iPad just by pausing on one and playing on the other. Coming from the XM3 (which doesn't support multipoint), it's a very welcome change. And finally, the battery life is really, really good. I can get a week of daily listening in, then just continue listening via USB C for a little while and they're ready to unplug again.

So yeah, I think these are pretty special and I've been enjoying the hell out of them.

That’s music to my ears. Thank you Ryan. And Jester agrees. I was hoping to read these kind of remarks about the PX7’s as these were my expectations.

Let’s see what the other folks have to say. The more input, the better. Let’s go guys, what makes these great? And their flaws, if you must.

I’m just waiting for my dealer to call me saying he has received them in stock!

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #954 of 2,191
Glad I could help :thumbsup:

These sound like over-ear Beyer Xelentos, which (in my book) is high praise but I totally get how some folks prefer a mid-centric or flatter/bass-lite sound. And I do think these improve after burn-in, though who knows what combination of driver change, cognitive habituation, and ear cup fitment could be responsible for that. All B&W headphones have felt that way to me. Additionally the PX and PX7 sound seems to be hugely dependent on proper fit, even when ANC is off.

There is a small "clicking" sound in each ear when I move my head left or right. It doesn't sound quite like driver flex, rather, a soft clicking sound.
I think someone mentioned that being caused by the earpads, and that removing them and re-attaching them could fix it. Probably worth a try.

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #955 of 2,191
Glad I could help :thumbsup:

These sound like over-ear Beyer Xelentos, which (in my book) is high praise but I totally get how some folks prefer a mid-centric or flatter/bass-lite sound. And I do think these improve after burn-in, though who knows what combination of driver change, cognitive habituation, and ear cup fitment could be responsible for that. All B&W headphones have felt that way to me. Additionally the PX and PX7 sound seems to be hugely dependent on proper fit, even when ANC is off.

I think someone mentioned that being caused by the earpads, and that removing them and re-attaching them could fix it. Probably worth a try.
Still there. :\ The noise sounds like it's coming from the center/driver area. ANC is off as well. Anyone try moving their head left to right (no music playing) and see if they can hear some soft clicking sounds? Obviously, with music playing is far less noticeable, but it's apparent when I use ambient mode, listen to tracks with silent spots, and when watch shows/movies.

Anyone else having issues with call quality and people reporting your voice as muffled?

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #956 of 2,191
Since we're all in the sharing mood here are my thoughts. Like many others who love P7W I was hoping that the PX7 (had it for a month) was all that plus more comfortable and with ANC (notice how I put ANC after comfort because it's not a primary feature for me). Coming from both P7W and XM3 I must say that I am somewhat disappointed. I was hoping PX7 would be a big improvement in SQ over XM3 but I didn't find that to be the case. Yes, it IS better than XM3 in SQ and has decent ANC and comfort but I think it still lacks character like XM3. They sound good, but not great. There are no sparkles that make it interesting and joyful to listen to (both figuratively and physically). Perhaps it's the mediocre mid or "pretty good" bass. I am not a bass head but enjoy quality bass so on paper PX7 should be a dream come true but unfortunately no. Feature wise, multiple connection, auto stop-start, battery life, case, comfort are all great. Jack of all trades and master of none comes to my mind.

I will be getting a M3 and see if that can check more top boxes. If not, Dali could be another contender although the bass (or lack there of) could be a deal breaker.

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #957 of 2,191
Since we're all in the sharing mood here are my thoughts. Like many others who love P7W I was hoping that the PX7 (had it for a month) was all that plus more comfortable and with ANC (notice how I put ANC after comfort because it's not a primary feature for me). Coming from both P7W and XM3 I must say that I am somewhat disappointed. I was hoping PX7 would be a big improvement in SQ over XM3 but I didn't find that to be the case. Yes, it IS better than XM3 in SQ and has decent ANC and comfort but I think it still lacks character like XM3. They sound good, but not great. There are no sparkles that make it interesting and joyful to listen to (both figuratively and physically). Perhaps it's the mediocre mid or "pretty good" bass. I am not a bass head but enjoy quality bass so on paper PX7 should be a dream come true but unfortunately no. Feature wise, multiple connection, auto stop-start, battery life, case, comfort are all great. Jack of all trades and master of none comes to my mind.

I will be getting a M3 and see if that can check more top boxes. If not, Dali could be another contender although the bass (or lack there of) could be a deal breaker.

This post I may have written :)
I agree with what you've written. I was looking to Px7 with anxiety, having owned the excellent SQ P7w, and Px I didn't like (especially since I have glasses and they lost the seal... In addition to the problem glasses lost the seal even just by moving the jaw!). Unfortunately the Px7 did not satisfy me on the most important thing for me: the sound quality. Otherwise it was more than fine (except for the microphone). I took the M3 and was blown away! Wow!!! Compared to the Px7 you will lose in battery life and a little in ANC. But the spectacular sound and wide soundstage of these headphones will make you bear it. Then they are more comfortable, they have a better microphone and the ambient sound activation is done in a moment, not 2" as on B&W

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #958 of 2,191
Well...I think I'm going to have to return the PX7. Call quality is just not cutting it for business use. For travel, I use the XM3, but for the office ANC doesn't have to be the best, so I thought I was set on the PX7, but doesn't look like that's going to be the case. The soft clicking sounds in each ear cup just got annoying, especially when I was thinking to myself "$400" every time I heard the click.

I think now I've settled on the M3. I feel the low end of the PX7 are better, but treble on the M3 is superior. Call quality on the M3 is simply better and it's a more comfortable for longer stretches.

Nov 20, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #959 of 2,191
Just had a chance to compare my PX7 to Sennheiser M3's. M3 has nice boost in the lower frequencies. Its brings you smile when you listening EDM or high quality bass heavy music. It will make your ear lobes to vibrate compare to PX7, even though PX7 bass bit more clean and punchier. The negative side the M3's low end feels loose on some songs where PX7 really shine with more controlled bass. The M3 has bit more forwarded mid than PX7. Vocals sound very good and sound bit better than PX7. Highs are detailed in both but in a different way. PX7 is more snappier and sound better than M3 in some songs but some songs feels bit harsher.M3 feels overall bit smoother on high frequencies. PX7 has better imaging, separation and soundstage that make the PX7 better for classical, jazz, pop etc. I felt the M3's bass bit over powering and not as tight or defined for those generes. If you are a person who love to have a 12 inch sub on your car's boot, you more likely to love M3 than the PX7. There's no better headphone here. But the type of music I listen, I think the PX7 is better suited for me. Battery life, better ANC is a bonus. Either headphones has no problems with wear comfort.I'm no mean an audiophile or an expert and your preference may be different and nothing wrong with that. My colleague who has the M3 still prefer M3 over my PX7 after nearly an hour of listening. My advice is try both and choose the one that better suits for your taste.

Note: PX7 is not a dark sounding headphone in my opinion. My other headphone is a Sennheiser HD58X.

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #960 of 2,191
Sounds like the combo of P7W (best BT SQ) and XM3 (best ANC) is the real winner here if you don't want to make any sacrifices / can afford it. P7W for home and office listening and XM3 for commuting and travel. Looks like we will still have to wait a few more years for a manufacture to combine the P7W sq with the XM3 anc. Sadly, this was not accomplished with the X3 (2nd best SQ and very poor ANC) or PX7 (above average SQ and average ANC).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back