Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #931 of 2,191
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #932 of 2,191
I still have my P7W and can say the PX7 definitely share some of the same DNA. Big, rich, warm sound, except with the PX7, the soundstage is much better. In a nutshell, to me, the PX7 sound like the offspring of the P7W and PX. The PX7 is more comfortable than the PX for sure, but the clamp force is a bit on the firm side and there is more pressure along my jaw than I would like. That being said, they are not uncomfortable, but you do know you're wearing them. If you can test them out first, I'd definitely recommend doing that if you don't have the option to return (I know returns can be different in Canada).

I also recently purchased and returned the M3. I though the bass on the M3 was a little sloppy, and although there is an app with EQ options, it's the cheesy dot EQ, so when pushing frequency A, you cut frequency B. Me no like. As far as build quality, I found the M3 just fell short of what the M2 was. Cheaper plastic earcups, cheaper leather (thinner and damages easily), and the sliding mechanism was just scratchy loud and not smooth like the M2. The M3 is by no means a bad headphone, but I think coming from the M2 and seeing he cut in build quality, I just couldn't do it for $400, even if they do sound better than the M2. I would certainly recommend the PX7 over the M3, which I think sounds more refined in the lower registers than the M3.
I may try it. Amazon has the same no hassle return policy here so super easy to try. There is actually a pretty significant Amazon fulfilment warehouse facility just on the outskirts of Ottawa so in general this region of the country has pretty stellar services. New York state is only a few hours away with Toronto and Montreal, both fairly large cities just a drive away as well so we are pretty spoiled here in many respects. I may just try the PX7 although the clamping you describe is somewhat worrisome as I do tend to be pretty sensitive. Thanks for the input.

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #933 of 2,191
I may try it. Amazon has the same no hassle return policy here so super easy to try. There is actually a pretty significant Amazon fulfilment warehouse facility just on the outskirts of Ottawa so in general this region of the country has pretty stellar services. New York state is only a few hours away with Toronto and Montreal, both fairly large cities just a drive away as well so we are pretty spoiled here in many respects. I may just try the PX7 although the clamping you describe is somewhat worrisome as I do tend to be pretty sensitive. Thanks for the input.
You may not feel any discomfort (as happened to me) certainly they are a bit stiff in general. I didn't like the emphasis on high extremes, very annoying for me, and some "holes" on the rest of the range of highs (low and medium ok)

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #934 of 2,191
Is there not a separate thread for the Sennheiser M3 or Dali IO-6? Seems there’s more discussion about those than the PX7 here :)

This is my first post in this thread, having read close to everything in the last 62 pages. I’ve also participated in the Dali thread as I already have tried the iO-6.

But I agree with you that there is too much info off topic. Comparisons are still very important so we may interpret what others feel and take our conclusions.

But enough rant, let’s get to the topic.

I’ve tried the market leaders everyone talks about (and the some). And I will only compare apples with apples. So if this is a ANC/BT category...
For me XM3 and M3 don’t work because they’re both fake in their own way (mostly bass wise or the package is not right). iO-6’s are simply amazing but my ears do not fit the round cups (as someone said “I don’t know where designers get their ideas, because there’s no one with round ears...”), they don’t play very loud and the bass is there but just a little tame. NC700 are better in almost every way but the sound signature is not quite exciting or as good although I cherish linearity. I’ve heard the original PX so was hoping the new iteration would be IT. The sound signature was amazing, a little flaw here and there, but basically unwearable.

So this brings us to the PX7. Many people are stuck to their flaws and these will definitely be taken into consideration when I test them. “Recessed mids” and so on. But I like the traits that have been mentioned, like a good soundstage, good separation and the engaging sound signature.

SQ is the most important thing for me but the whole package has its influence.
I’ll be using them mostly for commuting (on the bus) and during most of the 8 hours at work in an open space office. So 8 to 10 hours a day.
I currently own a pair of Jaybird Bluebuds X and a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro.
I know, it’ll be a big jump and any of the options out there is better than what I have.
I don’t have the funds to be owning several so this will be a one stop shopping stint.

Since the people who own and have been loving the PX7’s are more silent, let’s hear it, what do you love about them?
“Make me like them”? I don’t want that. No headphone out there is perfect but if these fit my bill I’ll definitely get them.

Let’s go!

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #935 of 2,191
The ear cups of the M3 wirelsss are leather not plastic.
Correct. The ear pads are leather. The ear cups are plastic, and honestly, a lower grade of plastic than the M2 plastic ear cups. The M2 are just built better, but the M3 sound better and are more comfortable. That being said, I still prefer the PX7 to the M3.

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #936 of 2,191
Did you happen to notice video audio sync issues with M3 and IO-6. I demoed M3s yesterday and I saw video audio sync issues were pretty much there with every video. Not sure how IO-6 behaves on this front.
No issues with the io-6 when it comes to video/audio sync. I’ll have to double check the M3s as I only really listen to music with them. I use all Apple devices

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #937 of 2,191
This is my first post in this thread, having read close to everything in the last 62 pages. I’ve also participated in the Dali thread as I already have tried the iO-6.

But I agree with you that there is too much info off topic. Comparisons are still very important so we may interpret what others feel and take our conclusions.

But enough rant, let’s get to the topic.

I’ve tried the market leaders everyone talks about (and the some). And I will only compare apples with apples. So if this is a ANC/BT category...
For me XM3 and M3 don’t work because they’re both fake in their own way (mostly bass wise or the package is not right). iO-6’s are simply amazing but my ears do not fit the round cups (as someone said “I don’t know where designers get their ideas, because there’s no one with round ears...”), they don’t play very loud and the bass is there but just a little tame. NC700 are better in almost every way but the sound signature is not quite exciting or as good although I cherish linearity. I’ve heard the original PX so was hoping the new iteration would be IT. The sound signature was amazing, a little flaw here and there, but basically unwearable.

So this brings us to the PX7. Many people are stuck to their flaws and these will definitely be taken into consideration when I test them. “Recessed mids” and so on. But I like the traits that have been mentioned, like a good soundstage, good separation and the engaging sound signature.

SQ is the most important thing for me but the whole package has its influence.
I’ll be using them mostly for commuting (on the bus) and during most of the 8 hours at work in an open space office. So 8 to 10 hours a day.
I currently own a pair of Jaybird Bluebuds X and a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro.
I know, it’ll be a big jump and any of the options out there is better than what I have.
I don’t have the funds to be owning several so this will be a one stop shopping stint.

Since the people who own and have been loving the PX7’s are more silent, let’s hear it, what do you love about them?
“Make me like them”? I don’t want that. No headphone out there is perfect but if these fit my bill I’ll definitely get them.

Let’s go!

Been listening for the last 3 weeks and sound wise I love them, wouldn't change them for the world. Coming from the PX they are also comfortable, the ANC is good for commuting in the train and bus, the mic is good enough to be heard and not as sensitive as the PX. Additionally, it's nice that you can mute the mic via the headset buttons (triple click of play button in a call). The physical off switch is also nice. Passive seal is fine - PX was better.

However

The person who designed the software needs to be put in the corner with a dunce hat. What an attrocity.
- Muting the mic makes the headset beep three times to confirm your action. This is fine. However, IT DOES THIS EVERY 15 SECONDS! WHY!? It's so loud it prevents you from hearing the person talking. And why three beeps?
- ANC, you can turn off the voice prompts. +1 over the PX. You can also triple click to go from High to Off, or whatever is three positions down the chain. But the order just doesn't make natural sense;
- ANC on high lets you listen to the wind if there is alot of it around you. Set it to auto or low and it's gone. Makes no sense.
- The audio pass through is too slow, you'll always miss what's been said when you want to hear it.
- Connect to two devices - excellent! Have a call and your second device (iPad Pro in my case) will connect and disconnect every 10 seconds with some lovely audio making anything you want to hear impossible. The PX did this as well and hasn't been fixed. B&W support isn't responding to support tickets.
- The clicking of the headset. Got that. First one had it in both sides. My second one has it on the left. Not something you hear with music - something you hear prominently when making a call and walking around.

Will I switch to something else? No. The sound is excellent and makes up for the rest. a definite upgrade over the PX. But I hope and pray they fix the shitshow that is the software somewhere in the near future.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #938 of 2,191
No issues with the io-6 when it comes to video/audio sync. I’ll have to double check the M3s as I only really listen to music with them. I use all Apple devices
Shame about the EU volume cap, absolute no questions asked deal killer for me, and I was about to buy them. Zero chance they will be anywhere near loud enough so regardless of any other factors, kills them for me. Bang & Oulfsen models are the same, can't buy them anymore, just too quiet.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #940 of 2,191
Are you referring to the Dali?
Yes, it has been reported by several owners of the Dali that the cap is problematic and a Dali representative confirmed that the EU cap has been implemented so it isn't speculation at all. People who listen at quiet or moderate levels are always perplexed by those who find such volume capings problematic so I don't expect someone from those user styles to understand, but believe me, it is an issue for some of us. My B&O H7 was on full volume all of the time, and even contemporary, hot-mastered material was just not loud enough for me. Forget older more dynamic recordings, not even worth the time to cue them up. The only wireless headphones that I owned that were not on full all the time were the WS99BT and the B&W P7.

Before a bunch of people chime in to inform me that I don't apparently understand that I have, or am in the process of damaging my hearing, thank you for your concern, but I am 51 years old now and my hearing is quite good for my age. I typically listen for shorter sessions (very important) and I also have many days without any music at all so cumulatively in a week I suspect I listen to three maybe four hours of music so the effects are well distributed over time.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #941 of 2,191
Yes, it has been reported by several owners of the Dali that the cap is problematic and a Dali representative confirmed that the EU cap has been implemented so it isn't speculation at all. People who listen at quiet or moderate levels are always perplexed by those who find such volume capings problematic so I don't expect someone from those user styles to understand, but believe me, it is an issue for some of us. My B&O H7 was on full volume all of the time, and even contemporary, hot-mastered material was just not loud enough for me. Forget older more dynamic recordings, not even worth the time to cue them up. The only wireless headphones that I owned that were not on full all the time were the WS99BT and the B&W P7.

Before a bunch of people chime in to inform me that I don't apparently understand that I have, or am in the process of damaging my hearing, thank you for your concern, but I am 51 years old now and my hearing is quite good for my age. I typically listen for shorter sessions (very important) and I also have many days without any music at all so cumulatively in a week I suspect I listen to three maybe four hours of music so the effects are well distributed over time.
LOL. You basically addressed all the push back you were about to get. Love it. I literally laughed at my desk.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #942 of 2,191
LOL. You basically addressed all the push back you were about to get. Love it. I literally laughed at my desk.
Not my first rodeo around these parts :wink:. I aim to please. :)

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #943 of 2,191

I fully understand. No judgement here. Hell, I’m a drummer, I’m the last to talk about how loud something is. The Dalis aren’t very loud. Louder wired than wireless. The only reason I give them a pass is because of their clarity. But I do understand your concern and would definitely tell those that like loud headphones to stay clear. The Dalis are one of the worse in this regard.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #944 of 2,191
I fully understand. No judgement here. Hell, I’m a drummer, I’m the last to talk about how loud something is. The Dalis aren’t very loud. Louder wired than wireless. The only reason I give them a pass is because of their clarity. But I do understand your concern and would definitely tell those that like loud headphones to stay clear. The Dalis are one of the worse in this regard.
No kidding, I'm a drummer as well, been playing off and on since the 1980s. No formal training, some natural ability and a great appetite for humble pie. I eat quite a bit of that. Cheers. Well, some formal training if you count grade nine music class (which you shouldn't). I only stayed because I was crushing huge on Christina Belanger, damn was that girl attractive. The music teacher, Mr. St Louis was pretty cool though. He let me bring in my live Rush vinyl of All the Worlds a Stage and play Working Man which had the pretty fantastic drum solo by Neil Peart in it. Still have that record. Never got the girl though :frowning2:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #945 of 2,191
Ok, back to writing a paper on frailty informed care. Just what I need to research and write about as I get older, frailty :unamused:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back