Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #678 of 2,191
Mine do this to, I’m actually quite surprised at how many headphones do this, the M3’s and the PX7’s being the worst culprits, even when tightly fitted the headband just falls right off when leaning back.

Mine do this too! The M3 is the worst offender for sure lol. I don’t think it’s in danger of falling completely off when I lean back but it will definitely give you a bit of a fright. My PX7 also does this but I find the slightly rounder headband stays on a bit better than the flat one of the M3.

The Sony’s XM3s are actually the best in this regard. Maybe because they are so light that I can do some head banging and it barely budges. So if you were ever inclined to use an over ear anc can for jogging or gym- the XM3 is the way to go.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #679 of 2,191
Mine do this too! The M3 is the worst offender for sure lol. I don’t think it’s in danger of falling completely off when I lean back but it will definitely give you a bit of a fright. My PX7 also does this but I find the slightly rounder headband stays on a bit better than the flat one of the M3.

The Sony’s XM3s are actually the best in this regard. Maybe because they are so light that I can do some head banging and it barely budges. So if you were ever inclined to use an over ear anc can for jogging or gym- the XM3 is the way to go.
In my case it's not really the band that's slipping. The px7's cups literally flip outwards at the swivel and at some point they feel like they're jumping off. I think it's because they're a little heavy at the cups and the swivel cant hold in place. Especially on my head

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #680 of 2,191
Hi all! As a current PX owner I followed this thread since day one :)

As the leather from the headband started to deteriorate, I just sent the PXs for a RMA. This means I will have a new pair (or sort of new) of cans which I'm planning on selling to upgrade to something a bit better. Initially I thought the decision would be a no brainer ... PX7 but after reading all the 46 pages here I'm not so sure anymore...

I see that a lot of you and audiophiles in general listen to rock/jazz/classical but in my case that doesn't apply. I listen mostly to electronic music (from breakbeat, dub, grime, acid, tech/progresive/deep/chicago/detroit house and a lot of techno), sometimes a lot of hip-hop and rarely jazz. This makes me part of the people who would prefer a more V shaped profile. I used to own before a AIAIAI on-ear TMA-1 and then because I started traveling for work, a Bose QC25.

I need an opinion on what to select from PX7/M3/Dali or XM3. The Bose are way too flat for my taste even if they have very good ANC. ANC is mandatory as I need to protect my ears on the go. Should I just keep the PXs (which I love how they sound).

Another thing, I have an iPhone so system wide EQ would be impossible (except for the M3s, from the app).

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #681 of 2,191

As the leather from the headband started to deteriorate, I just sent the PXs for a RMA. This means I will have a new pair (or sort of new) of cans which I'm planning on selling to upgrade to something a bit better. Initially I thought the decision would be a no brainer ... PX7 but after reading all the 46 pages here I'm not so sure anymore...

I see that a lot of you and audiophiles in general listen to rock/jazz/classical but in my case that doesn't apply. I listen mostly to electronic music (from breakbeat, dub, grime, acid, tech/progresive/deep/chicago/detroit house and a lot of techno), sometimes a lot of hip-hop and rarely jazz. This makes me part of the people who would prefer a more V shaped profile. I used to own before a AIAIAI on-ear TMA-1 and then because I started traveling for work, a Bose QC25.

I need an opinion on what to select from PX7/M3/Dali or XM3. The Bose are way too flat for my taste even if they have very good ANC. ANC is mandatory as I need to protect my ears on the go. Should I just keep the PXs (which I love how they sound).

Another thing, I have an iPhone so system wide EQ would be impossible (except for the M3s, from the app).

The PX7 definitely have a V-Shaped sound signature. The sound similar to Sony's XM3, but with better mids, wider soundstage and offer a better build quality. In terms of sound quality the PX7 are not really an improvement over the PX, but in terms of comfort, ANC and dat bass they are.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #682 of 2,191

If you thought the bose cans were too flat then I’d steer clear of the Dalis since they actually seem do indeed seem to be bass-light.

Consensus seems to be that the M3s are the ‘best’ sounding set by a smidge, followed by the PX7 - albeit a bit heavy on the bass. I believe they probably sound equally good but just with different sound signatures. One thing that the PX7 completely dominates over the others is the soundstage. I personally found the XM3s to be a bit bass heavy.

It’s very hard not to recommend the PX7s to be honest. I myself have been looking very closely at all the options and it seems like I’m going to go all-in for the PX7s as well.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #684 of 2,191

I would say either the PX7 or XM3 as recommendations. The M3 sound great, but have weak battery life and weak ANC.

Dalis sound great, if you’re after a near neutral sounding set of cans, ANC on them is pretty good as is battery. However you’ll only get as much bass as what appears in the song, which on some occasions doesn’t sound like enough (at least in my opinion)

The PX7’s are definitely a step from their predecessors, in comfort and sound. The PX’s yo me always had a ‘boxed in’ feel to them when listening, and sounded a little boring. Everything now feels more opened up, with more clarity, and with a nice little boost to bass frequencies. Soundstage on these is fantastic, the best out of all those mentioned across this thread.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #685 of 2,191
am testing M3 myself and after 9 hours of listening to music without ANC I still have 20% battery, so it probably shows how bad the battery is. The headphones play sensational for me and I really like their sound signature. PX7 have a great sound stage, listening to music I didn't feel "spark"

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #686 of 2,191
am testing M3 myself and after 9 hours of listening to music without ANC I still have 20% battery, so it probably shows how bad the battery is. The headphones play sensational for me and I really like their sound signature. PX7 have a great sound stage, listening to music I didn't feel "spark"

This was me with the M3, something about them just made me want to constantly break into dance wearing them, such an inviting sound! But that battery life is just such a massive deal breaker, especially with how constantly I’d be charging them, and how fast it’d probably deteriorate and wear down after a year constant use.

Currently I’m using my Surface headphones (whilst waiting for my second pair of PX7’s), which quote a 15 hour battery life, except they actually achieve that if not exceed it sometimes. I find they’re pretty underrated, despite having very nice, detailed Mids, and good lows, once EQ’d in their app.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #687 of 2,191
The PX7’s are definitely a step from their predecessors, in comfort and sound. The PX’s yo me always had a ‘boxed in’ feel to them when listening, and sounded a little boring. Everything now feels more opened up, with more clarity, and with a nice little boost to bass frequencies. Soundstage on these is fantastic, the best out of all those mentioned across this thread.

Different tastes I suppose. I find the PX to be the more detailled and accurate headphones. Bass definition is way better and not as 'bloated'. The PX7 have clearly more bass than the PX, but not "better bass" as far as I'm concerned. It's interesting to see some people say the PX7 has more clarity because I just don't agree with that at all. The PX7 are maybe the more "exciting" headphones but to me the PX still sound better with ANC turned off that is. As soon as ANC is above office mode as far as the PX are concerned I agree that the PX7 sound better (but only then).

That being said, the PX7 are still a fantastic package which is way I'm keeping them despite liking the PX sound signature more. They fit my head perfectly, are much more comfortable, look great, have a great storage case, very solid ANC, fantastic battery life, Bluetooth 5.0, quick charge via USB-C and the multipoint feature especially in combination with the app is just such a great package that I still like them very much.

I feel that they are the best ANC headphone package right now. You can get better sound quality with the M3s, better noise cancelling with the sonys, better call quality with the Bose but I don't feel that you can get a better allround ANC headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #688 of 2,191
First of all, thank all those who go through this thread to comment on your contributions. This is mine: I have headphones of all kinds: My sennheiser HD 660s, with which I enjoy connected to my marantz integrated amplifier, my focal i chose with those that I enjoy the best music and in a high quality (flac) but I was looking for something portable, with good bluetooth connectivity, comfortable, and also that it will provide me with great compatibility with the different codecs in the market and without a doubt, B&W PX7 gives it to me.

I have been with them since October 17 and every time I like them more. They squeezed me a little the first time I put them on my head but it was a matter of hours (the headband adjusts until it finds its right place in my head). They are comfortable, do not squeeze and my ears are inside the earpiece itself. In noise cancellation I am surprised because without reaching the end of the sony XM3 (for me its ANC is brutal but annoying to my ears), they exceeded what was promised. Great sound quality, good detail in frequencies and a fantastic separation of channels. And by the way, I had in my hands the sennheiser momentum wireless 3 and I returned them for having a horrible 3.5 jack jack (bad to put it in and worse to extract it). I recommend them.

And by the way, very good bluetooth 5.0 that works great with my iphone 8 and with my laptop. If something does not convince me it is that I can not monitor from the earpiece the descent and rise of sound to my FiiO M11.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #689 of 2,191
Just heard that Rtings.com has gotten their hands on the PX7 and the review will be out soon!

Been using the Momentum 3 and PX7 side by side today at work.

The M3 is like a classic car. Beautiful to look at, exciting to drive but a pain in the ass to maintain and you're always worried about where you park.

I am no audiophile but I can definitely tell the difference between the two just listening to Master/HiFi stuff on Tidal. There's just so much more oomph to the music with the M3 and the bass has this growl that just vibrates your skull. For example the bass about halfway through Hans Zimmer's 'Why so serious' from the Dark Knight soundtrack- there's a part where everything is quiet and it just goes bwumbwwumwwumwumwwum for a good 10 seconds. That's part of my headphone testing playlist and the M3's really get the low sinister sound across so well.

However, M3's downfall is really their battery life and form factor. It's like a gaz guzzling muscle car from the 70's. My one hour commute to work saw the battery drop from 100-80% in the app, not sure how accurate that is but still a huge hit considering it was fully charged when I left home. Plus, like a classic car, you gotta be careful where you park! I can't throw the headphones with case into my Filson 24 hour briefcase. Like it literally just won't fit in the bag if I use that sad pathetic excuse for a case. There's no way I can trust that inside a backpack with lots of stuff moving around.

So for me, M3 is great as an everyday headphone. Charge at home- get to work and I have a USBC wire waiting for me. Probably will need to charge MWF and find a good hardshell case to ease my concerns. I think some of the engineers working at Sennheiser need a good bollocking for allowing 17 hours in today's age to be acceptable. Maybe we can lump them in with the same people who thought micro USB on the PXC 550 II coming in 2020 was a good idea (but that's a rant for another time)

PX7 is like that Tesla electric car, the higher tier model. It's a little more in your face with the looks, especially with that BOWERS WILKINS down the side lol. Looks sleek and futurist. Cloth, aluminum, and pleather instead of plastic and leather. In my case too, you just can't walk into any big box store in NZ and purchase it so it is already quite uncommon and will turn heads in a sea of Sony XM3s and Bose QC35s. Maybe that adds a little prestige points, just like owning a fancy Tesla lol.

Lots of really smart features but might not be everyone's cup of tea. I think overall, it's a more balanced headphone- the ANC is miles ahead of the M3. In fact, the more I use the M3 the more I think I could get away with just switching the NC off anyway since it really doesn't do much.

Battery life on this is excellent and I think I could go Monday to Friday on a full charge. Will try next week. The sound is growing on me- I still much prefer the M3's sound but the PX7 does the whole portability and longevity and noise cancelling so much better that it starts to pull out as the better overall headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #690 of 2,191
I can get the Sony XM3 for less than half the price of the B&W PX7. If it creaks, I will be returning it as well.

You might not have an issue with the PX7 regarding comfort, but for me the clamping was too much.

Be careful, the Sony’s usually don’t freak when brand new. My pair took 2 weeks of heavy use before they started. Wasn’t terribly loud, but that combined with the unbelievably cheap feeling plastic build, and the hot, shallow pads was more than enough for me to return them to the store. I’ve been much happier with the original PX’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back