Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #661 of 2,191
One thing I wished B&W would fix in an update is the transparent mode. Pressing it for two seconds is way too long and you end up missing key bits of an announcement.

For example this morning I ordered a coffee and went to stand at the waiting area of the cafe. The barista would finish making a cup and then hold it up and yell out your number.

With having to find the small button to press and hold for two seconds I ended up missing the actual announcement.

I know with the Sony XM3 you hold a hand up to the cup and it's near instantaneous transparent mode with the caveat that you need to keep your hand up on the cup for the duration of transparent mode.

Bang & Olufsen has the best idea imo with a simple swipe gesture activating transparent mode in their H9i.

Perhaps B&W can make it so that you don't need to hold down the button for so long? A little press to activate and press to disable would probably work the best.

Just my 2 cents.

I've suggested to B&W to reverse the controls, 1 press is awerness mode and long press is ANC mode switch, since most of us are more likely to switch on/off awareness mode much more often.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #662 of 2,191
I've suggested to B&W to reverse the controls, 1 press is awerness mode and long press is ANC mode switch, since most of us are more likely to switch on/off awareness mode much more often.

Yes that would make more sense. Hope this is something that they can do in a firmware update or have an option to do it the default way or this way in the app.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #664 of 2,191
I got mine today and I'm experiencing some of the comfort issues mentioned earlier in the thread. Namely that it strangely puts pressure just above my jaw, right below my ears because of the tall, oblong shape. And because the pressure is uneven the seal isn't perfect on my head, it might be because I wear glasses, although my left side experiences a more pronounced unevenness than the right even after playing around with the band for a while. And this one is more of a common issue I have with headphones and why I like ATH's "3D wings" but I'm feeling a lot of pressure at the top of my head, just the way the band flattens at the middle when stretched to fit my wide head, rather than a more even stretch across the band so the tip of my head is spared. The only way to avoid is to extend it all the way but then the band is loose on my head and the fit is up to the (somewhat snug) clamp. Any ideas on how to alleviate these issues?

Otherwise I'm finding these quite nice. I've been listening to a lot of korean indie and alt hiphop and the bass is boomy and dominant but the vocals are clear and not at all recessed like I was expecting based on the feedback here. I would say they're very distinct. ANC seems okay, I'll have to take them into the office to find out for sure but I can hear the noise reduction, but it does make some changes to the sound quality that I don't like.

edit: Leaned back and they almost rolled right off my head haha. I hate that my first impression is all about ergonomics but oh boy, I almost dropped $400 headphones right off my head. The swivel on mine have next to no friction or staying power.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #666 of 2,191
I just felt asleep with these still on me...so from my point of view they're outstanding comfort wise :) now the wear sensor worked too good tho lol
Oddly, the wear sensor worked well while I was taking them off and on while trying to adjust them and get a good fit, at least as far as I could tell. No complaints there. Also I tried wearing them on my bed. They'll flip right off my head as I lay down, it's almost like a rubber band in action.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #667 of 2,191
Oddly, the wear sensor worked well while I was taking them off and on while trying to adjust them and get a good fit, at least as far as I could tell. No complaints there. Also I tried wearing them on my bed. They'll flip right off my head as I lay down, it's almost like a rubber band in action.

Mine do this to, I’m actually quite surprised at how many headphones do this, the M3’s and the PX7’s being the worst culprits, even when tightly fitted the headband just falls right off when leaning back.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #669 of 2,191
Anyone found a way to increase music volume in transparency mode? I used my PX at work to block out background hum while listening to music and still being able to hear telephones and warning tones. The PX7 seems strictly "music OR transparency" so far. Bummer!

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #670 of 2,191
Anyone found a way to increase music volume in transparency mode? I used my PX at work to block out background hum while listening to music and still being able to hear telephones and warning tones. The PX7 seems strictly "music OR transparency" so far. Bummer!

That's just how it is at the moment unfortunately. It's either meant to be like that or a bug in the firmware that they'll hopefully address in the future. We should definitely be able to adjust the volume while using transparency mode, I agree.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #671 of 2,191
Returned mine yesterday for a full refund.

Will probably end up getting the Sony XM3 instead due to better comfort.

Sonys are crap, plastic with poor build quality, and no multi point. Many people are reporting thats its creaking as well.

Nothing wrong with the comfort of the px7 imo.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #672 of 2,191
Sonys are crap, plastic with poor build quality, and no multi point. Many people are reporting thats its creaking as well.

Nothing wrong with the comfort of the px7 imo.
I can get the Sony XM3 for less than half the price of the B&W PX7. If it creaks, I will be returning it as well.

You might not have an issue with the PX7 regarding comfort, but for me the clamping was too much.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #673 of 2,191
I tried the Beats Solo pro's briefly, they sounded ok but were just so uncomfortable. Reviews mention the clamping force but they hurt the top of my head immediately, not way I could use those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back