Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #631 of 2,199
Got a swift reply from Bowers, suggesting I return for a replacement.

So I’m sending my current pair back to Amazon for a Replacement.

In the meantime I’ve got the io6’s on order, and should be with me later today, so I’ll let you all know how I get on with those.

1wmCTOR.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-29_12-55-38.png
    upload_2019-10-29_12-55-38.png
    199 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #632 of 2,199
Momentum 3 also got APTX LL.... which I miss greatly on the PX7, APTX Adaptive is a good replacement, but the codec is basically non existent outside the B&W line up, who knows maybe that will change in the future, but as of right now B&W should have included APTX LL as well. But as you said, the battery life on the M3 is just too poor for 2019, huge deal breaker.

Didn't know the BeyerDynamic just had Bluetooth 4.2, sure 5.0 is not a hugeee step, but its 2019 for gods sake. That's almost as bad as some manufactures that still uses Micro USB and not USB C.

Also wouldn't say that the PX7 app doesn't do much, you can manage all your connections, which I believe is non existent on every other BT headphone on the list. I got 3 different BT connections at home, my phone, PC and smart tv, I can manage and select each of them in the app. Very convenient.
The qcc5100 chipset doesnt support aptxLL. Seems aptxLL is a dead standard

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #634 of 2,199
Hmm I see, I really hope we get to see APTX Adaptive in more devices then.... Would really like an USB adapter with it, I can live without it on my phone.
I hope so too. Unfortunately it looks like the only chips from Qualcomm that support aptx adaptive are the 5100 family (flagship bluetooth audio chipsets). I guess the snapdragon 855 and up also supports it but I doubt we'll see those in usb adapters. The only way to find out is to just wait

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #635 of 2,199
This is gonna be a heresy in this forum, but I've recently been thinking of restructuring/simplify my audio setup since I've always felt like over-ears are not as great as a portable option as IEMs and I've been getting frustrated with the issues of the PX7 (software and hardware)... and the AirPods Pro look pretty nice and might satisfy my portable/NC requirements (don't shoot me).

However I've really been enjoying sound and comfort of the PX7 and might return them and buy some nice wired over-ears for home and the desk with the price difference. Does anyone here know of a (presumably cheaper) wired option that has a similar signature to the PX7? I've been searching for wireless over-ears for years that I kind of don't know where to start with wired ones.

EDIT: For what it's worth I currently have the ATH-M40X but an upgrade would be nice. Also I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask, but I like the sound of the PX7 so I thought I would see what you all think.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #636 of 2,199
Totally fair questions—it’s always better to have a couple of good options suited for different use cases.

I really like the Sony WF-1000XM3 totally wireless IEMs. They sound fantastic, their ANC is good enough, and their battery life is great. Their only downsides include a fit that can be finicky (you may have to do some tip rolling) and frequent potential for signal interference especially in very crowded places. I’m excited to hear what people think of the AirPods pro but based on how quickly the battery life fades with standard AirPods, I’m skeptical.

As for wired headphones at home, while it may not merit being at the top of your list, the standard P7 remains a really good listen despite its age. It’s a bit more subdued than the PX7.

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #639 of 2,199
Oct 30, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #640 of 2,199
Got my PX7 two days ago. First impression: Re-Branded XM3 just kidding. There are some striking similarities though. Will offer some comparisons between PX/P9/PX7 when I find the time. You can ask me questions in the meantime, if you're interested in smth particular

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #641 of 2,199
That is just a press blurb. No information provided as to where they are being sold. I contacted two online retailers who are Dali dealers - Music Direct and Turntable Lab. Both have no plans too carry them.
Suggest you then contact Lenbrook America to ask which dealers they will ship to...

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #642 of 2,199
Contacted Lenbrook Canada who gave me the telephone number of the Northeast USA rep. Voicemail left last week. No reply received.
Imho they are off to a bad start here in the USA

Lenbrook distributes a lot of brands. Maybe these are not too important for them

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #643 of 2,199
So I received my PX7 yesterday, probably the only one in New Zealand since all local dealers didn't even know it was coming out or when they would get it. I've seen a couple of PX's in the wild but have never had the chance to use one.

Pros:

Build quality is pretty flawless- Nothing creaks or clicks where it shouldn't. The fibre glass arms seems pretty strong and should hold up to accidentally leaning on them when you fall asleep against the bus window :p
Battery life is close to advertised- I have been listening to these at mid volume with ANC on for nine hours over two days and my battery is sitting at 70%. I think you will be able to squeeze 25+ hours easy out of these.
They do look good- The space grey is a really futuristic sleek look and goes well with my space grey MacBook Pro, space grey iPhone, space grey Logitech MX Master mouse.. you get the jist. A bit goofy on the head since the arms stick out a bit but not ugly.
Clamping force is decent- a bit on the tighter side but I prefer it a little snug. Any looser and the headband will tilt back or forward when leaning back and front.

Cons:

Sound quality- I expected these to be a little bit better imo. They are good, don't get me wrong but I'd be hard pressed to say I prefer significantly over the Sony 1000MX3. It's better than the Sony, but not by much imo.
Noise cancelling- Now this was probably the biggest let-down for me; the NC just isn't that good when compared to its rivals. In fact, I would say it's a step back from the QC35's I bought in 2016.
Ear pads- I just don't like the leatherette they used on these. It feels really cheap.

Now, over the past two weeks, I have purchased a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 3's and Sony WH1000XM3's with the intention of comparing them to the PX7 and returning the M3 and/or XM3 if they were worse than the PX7 significantly. However, it looks like I will be selling the PX7 instead and keeping both the M3's and XM3's instead.

I love the sound of the Momentum 3's. Love love love on a default EQ, maybe I'd lower the bass a tiny bit, but the sound is lively, punchy, and very dynamic. They are also built to the same quality as the PX7 but the addition of the supple leather ear pads put this on another tier. However, their portability and noise cancelling is down right terrible. A step behind the PX7. This is where the Sony XM3's come in. I find there's a bit of a hit to SQ and build quality but the ANC is straight up voodoo magic and it folds into a smaller footprint than anything. Plus the 30 hour battery life will just run laps around the 17 of the Momentums.

So, I'll be using the Momentums for a daily driver on the commute to work and while I am at work. I will also be using them for the occasions where I need to wear a suit (twice a week) and it won't look as out of place as my beat-up silver Bose QC35's. The Sony XM3's on the other hand is for when I need working ANC and the portability of being able to fold into the same footprint as a small book. This will be really helpful for overseas travel (since NZ is pretty much isolated to the point where a 'short' trip starts at 4 hours on a plane) as I see the ANC just destroying plane engine sound and with a 30 hour battery life- it should get me anywhere in the world with juice to spare if I'm heading somewhere the next day and forget to charge it.

I was hoping the PX7 would be the do-it-all premium ANC headphone of 2019 but I don't think B&W really knew what they wanted to do with this. Is it a successor to the PX or P7? Is it meant to compete with Sony's ANC or Sennheiser's sound? I think they tried to do a little bit of everything but it wasn't enough to really make it a stand-out in any category. If you are looking for a cheaper do-it-all headphone and don't mind micro-USB then I'd honestly still recommend the QC35. If you want the best SQ and are willing to put up with a bulky, high maintenance headphone with a crap case then I'd recommend the Momentum 3. If you want AMAZING ANC with good sound that charges via USB-C and lasts forever then I'd give the nod to the Sony 1000XM3.

Now, when reading a lot of reviews I was annoyed by people saying X is better at this than Y without providing a scale of reference by how much. To say Mike Tyson is a better fighter than me is accurate but there's a huge gap to find out if he's a 100x or 10x (probably the former) so I will break it down with the winners getting a 10:

SOUND QUALITY

Sennheiser Momentum 3- 10/10
B&W PX7- 8/10 (add .5 if you appreciate a wide soundstage over bass OOMPH!)
Sony WH1000XM3- 7.5/10 (add .5 if you like wub wub bass)
Bose QC35- 6.5/10 (this is probably the most inoffensive sound signature AKA anyone would kinda like this)

BUILD QUALITY

Sennheiser Momentum 3- 10/10 (minus .5 if you hate that crappy case)
B&W PX7- 8.5/10 (add .5 for an amazing case, this would have been a 9 with better ear pads)
Bose QC35- 7/10 (my copy has seen it all and it just has a few dings)
Sony WH1000XM3- 5/10 (feels like plastic plastic plastic. Can't replace ear pads too)

NOISE CANCELLATION

Sony WH1000XM3- 10/10 (really don't see these getting any better, SQ suffers a bit with them on but this is just a ANC rating)
Bose QC35- 8.5/10 (still super impressed with these guys)
BW PX7- 7/10 (above average for sure but still not as good as the Bose from 2016)
Sennheiser Momentum 3- 5/10 (very average but that could be a plus for people who are sensitive to NC)

PORTABILITY

Sony WH100XM3- 10/10 (great case, folds flat and into itself)
Bose QC350- 9.5/10 (case is a little bigger but also folds flat and into itself)
BW PX7- 8/10 (folds flat-ish but great case makes this feel smaller)
Sennheiser Momentum 3- 6/10 (terrible case and still super bulky when folded but takes up the least horizontal real estate when folded)

Hope this helps anyone in the same boat.

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #644 of 2,199
So I received my PX7 yesterday, probably the only one in New Zealand...

Good comparison review there.

So for me the thing with the Sony that rules them out immediately without even having to think about SQ is customer support. Sony just has to have about the worst CS in the world right now. Everyone I know that needed to deal with them due to any warrant claims reported outright horror stories. For me as a customer that's definitely sth to consider.

Has anyone any experiences with DALI or B&O support? Because I'm still considering trying the IO6 and the H9 3rd...

Anyhow, the pleather and lack of the real thing is pretty much my biggest grief with the PX7, wasn't even aware of that until I unboxed them. Wondering if that decision was made in listening to the comfort complaints or if it's just cutting corners...

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #645 of 2,199
Good comparison review there.

Has anyone any experiences with DALI or B&O support? Because I'm still considering trying the IO6 and the H9 3rd...
Yeah, I'd be glad to share my experience with B&O Customer Support, since they deserve it...
I actually enjoyed my pair of B&O H8. They could shake out ear wax with that bass...
But the problems started when B&O updated the Android app, forcing me to run the update - including firmware update in the headphones to be able to use them.
There were no major problems before the fw-upgrade. But it really broke my crap-expensive pair of H8.
They would just freeze with a buzzing sound instead of start up, they would disconnect, "play" without sound, touch control stopped working, forgot EQ-settings etc.
They really ruined them. But B&O just told me it was hardware error and I needed to repair them (just out of warranty) - not related to the fw-upgrade...
Thanks B&O. Just lost a customer there - and I'm also happy to spread the word.
Maybe it's just a one-timer, maybe not. But I'll never buy anything with their logo again, new or used.
Just my 50 cents.

But hey - then I found the PX which led me to PX7 - and now I'm happy again... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back