Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 28, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #601 of 2,191
Seems to be relatively similar IIRC but I have never heard them in person unfortunately. FR curves only tell you so much sometimes. But it is interesting to see thanks.

I would love to see a FR graph for the PX7s just to compare it to what I perceive their actual sound is. So, if anybody has one or finds one, please post them here!

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #603 of 2,191
Measurements and graphs ... all well but why not let your ears be the judge? I would never buy based on specs and graphs...

I don't buy based on specs and graphs. I bought the PX and the PX7s without knowing or seeing any graphs.

I just would like to see them that's all. Especially since they sound so different to the PX based on what my ears tell me :wink:

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #604 of 2,191
Measurements and graphs ... all well but why not let your ears be the judge? I would never buy based on specs and graphs...

Please keep in mind that not everybody has this privilege. Trust me, if I had that option where I live, I wouldn't be looking at graphs. Don't have the option to buy online and return as well.

Graphs don't say much but do at least present a semblance of how the overall sound signature would be before I can opt to put in the big bucks they charge for these sets. I've been badly burnt by the XM3 before and had I seen the FR graph before I bought them, I would have avoided the whole ordeal.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #605 of 2,191
I can return things easily here, but I’d rather not blind buy every new ANC flagship released without much of anything to go on. If I can’t try it in store and have no graphs either it’s a big turn off. I’ve blind bought plenty of stuff in the past. A bit tired of it.

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #606 of 2,191
I completely agree. Your ears are the number one judge. I made the initial point of seeing the measurements of the Dalis simply for the fact that what I'm seeing over in the Dali thread is people speaking as though it's the only accurate wireless ANC headphone. They're using terms like "false bass" in other headphones. My point is, false bass is not only present in headphones with bass above neutral, but also with bass below neutral. I've read a couple of reviews that praise the Dalis for their resolution and detail, but consider their lack of emotion and willingness to dig deep in bass heavy songs, that are actually mixed that way, a huge issue. We're not talking about exaggerated bass, we're talking songs that flat studio monitors would still display this emotion and rumble. If this is the case, that would make them inaccurate according to the definition. They're just inaccurate in the opposite sense used here. False details and resolution by underselling the bass. I want to see some measurements before I dive into them is all. I tend to prefer my bass neutral to +3db above neutral.

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #607 of 2,191
Just tested the PX7’s noise canceling against the Dali’s and the PX7’s is stronger for sure, it does degrade the quality a bit but not as bad as people have been saying, well at least not to my ears, I haven’t had the volume above 75%, maybe that’s why. The Dali’s don’t seem to degrade the SQ much at all, that’s probably because it’s not as strong. I had pressure in my ears with the PX7’s on high ANC, a bit like the Bose 700.

If you travel a lot the px’s are a better option than the Dali’s, if like me you like a better SQ and only travel a few times a year, I’d go for the Dali’s.

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #608 of 2,191
Having two issues.
On a Mac using BT they sound noticeably veiled than on a phone (S10+). Tried both aptx and mac. Same result. The other issues is that on a phone the music play just stops randomly and I find play music app closed. Same music and file format (flac). VNC player on the Mac.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #609 of 2,191
A959175C-B73C-4F82-B081-6063E5A724F0.jpeg
Apparently, Bowers&Wilkins answered a couple of questions on Amazon and this one here is a bit...well... don't know what to make of that to be honest :D

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #610 of 2,191
Apparently, Bowers&Wilkins answered a couple of questions on Amazon and this one here is a bit...well... don't know what to make of that to be honest :D
Maybe their ruler is super bent or something? Haha, I get what they’re going for, but that’s not a good answer to the question.

On a related topic, I managed to try these via USB C with my iPad Pro. Happy to report that there’s the same level of refinement folks might remember from the P7W when plugged in to a decent source. With the PX7, bass is less emphasized and treble sounds a bit smoother—nice to notice the step up in quality, and that this happens while it’s charging.

My biggest complaint (which I think is an iOS one) is that the volume steps via USB C are super big, so I can either listen to stuff slightly too quietly or slightly too loudly (even via the fine steps from holding and dragging the volume control via control center).

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #611 of 2,191
On a related topic, I managed to try these via USB C with my iPad Pro. Happy to report that there’s the same level of refinement folks might remember from the P7W when plugged in to a decent source. With the PX7, bass is less emphasized and treble sounds a bit smoother—nice to notice the step up in quality, and that this happens while it’s charging.

My biggest complaint (which I think is an iOS one) is that the volume steps via USB C are super big, so I can either listen to stuff slightly too quietly or slightly too loudly (even via the fine steps from holding and dragging the volume control via control center).

I just tried that with my 11“ iPad Pro as well. I have 16 steps using the volume up or down buttons, so that works normally, I guess. I can also control it very smoothly via the control center. I‘m on the latest iOS 13.2 which I just downloaded a couple of minutes ago actually.

Funnily enough, the PX7s sound better on a USB C connection than via Bluetooth on the first listen. I will listen like that this evening a little bit more to be able to compare it better. But bass seemed a bit less annoying and highs a bit crisper...

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #612 of 2,191
Having two issues.
On a Mac using BT they sound noticeably veiled than on a phone (S10+). Tried both aptx and mac. Same result. The other issues is that on a phone the music play just stops randomly and I find play music app closed. Same music and file format (flac). VNC player on the Mac.

And the wear sensor doesn't work when connected to the Mac. Music keeps playing even when the headphones are off my head. Is this a bug?

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #613 of 2,191
Just tested the PX7’s noise canceling against the Dali’s and the PX7’s is stronger for sure, it does degrade the quality a bit but not as bad as people have been saying, well at least not to my ears, I haven’t had the volume above 75%, maybe that’s why. The Dali’s don’t seem to degrade the SQ much at all, that’s probably because it’s not as strong. I had pressure in my ears with the PX7’s on high ANC, a bit like the Bose 700.

If you travel a lot the px’s are a better option than the Dali’s, if like me you like a better SQ and only travel a few times a year, I’d go for the Dali’s.

Thanks for the feedback on the ANC. Dali was supposedly using Sony’s ANC chip so I was expecting it to do better.

SQ is my only concern though. It would be amazing if you could answer a few questions I have. Do you miss anything in the Dali’s bass response when compared to the PX7? Would you term the dalis as bass-lite in any way? And the PX7 seem to be the defacto soundstage kings - how does the Dali compare?

Much appreciated!

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #614 of 2,191
Signed up to head-fi just to comment here. Already gathered research here on the PX, and dis so again before I pulled the trigger on the PX7. So thanks for the help everyone!

TL;DR = got the PX7 a few days ago, love them, new daily drivers.

My B&W headphone journey started with the original P5 and P7 back in the day. Never had the P7W.

Late this summer I was in the market for decent over ear BT headphones to screen out the city noise some.

Btw, on a message board where some ppl will list headphones they had in '99 in their signature I'd be much more interested in what genres a person listens to when they comment on the SQ of a pair of cans, but hey, that's just me I guess...

So for what it's worth, while I hate headphones with "artificial", boomy bloated bass that bleeds into the rest of the frequencies (talking about you XM3s, Beats etc of the world) - I do mostly enjoy bass heavy genres like all sorts of electronic genres, (t)rap, lo-fi, and then a bit of classic rock and acoustic stuff on top that. So I personally do enjoy a hefty, yet well articulated bass that at least reminds me of the joys of the bass wobbling through my bones during a live performance - thank you very much!

As you will already be able to imagine after this long winded preamble I hated the PX; and yet I wanted to love them oh so badly. What a sexy looking pair of cans, I find them quite a bit better looking than the PX7. And I am a sucker for B&W headphones, period. The PX for me tho were dull & liveless, after burn-in that was. The sound bored me to tears, to be quite honest. Oh did I mention the barely tolerable comfort...
So after like 20 days I gave up on them. I was glad I found the Aiwa Arc-1, which I really didn't wanna like with their bland design, non-premium touch and feel, no ANC (the PX had crap ANC but still helped getting some work done in noisy places) - but at least their sound put a big fat smile on my face and made me dance through the apartment (and stayed in place while doing that, thanks to much lower weight than PX).

Had been waiting for the PX7 to finally get released ever since the announcement.

I gotta say, I wasn't impressed when I first threw them on. They didn't sound as clear as the Arc-1 (I crap you not, if you never tried those and aren't the flat-bass type, give them a whirl just for finding out what $149,- can get you in a BT headset in 2019 (but that's neither here nor there)), and the low end was a bit meh at first; certainly better than PX but not very tight IMO and not dark enough for me (I need that sub-bass son!); but as Someone here mentioned they just tick all the boxes. ANC is much (!) improved IMO, so is the comfort for hours on end, most comfortable B&W headset I know (never tried P9 tho). Smaller footprint when compacted, battery life, features (big fan of wear sensors ever since the AirPods came out). Speaking of the wear sensors, on the PX those worked perfect for me, even tho I had shoulder-length hair (expected them to give me trouble after all the complaints here); on the PX7 they do a spotty job thus far. Firmware Update is needed! A bit heartbroken about pleather instead of that soft as hell lambskin...
But hey, without crushing my skull these stay in place and keep their seal while dancing/moving around!

And the sound? Don't know if it's the headphones getting better (~20h playtime now; but I'm a skeptic) or my brain habituating, but for me it's a winner. They remind me of the P7... I see why they won't be for PX fans, sorry guys, but those were an aberration. These are fun again, thanks B&W for listening to your customers :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #615 of 2,191
Maybe their ruler is super bent or something? Haha, I get what they’re going for, but that’s not a good answer to the question.

Which source are you using? Tidal? I noticed a great improvement in SQ while streaming tidal from my windows at 16 bit 44 through my PXs.

And do you know if they work with an iPhone somehow? I tried connecting my PX with the camera kit connector as well as a USB C to lighting connector and it didn’t worked. Wondering if maybe the px7 does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back