Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 26, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #571 of 2,198
CBB94F08-DA56-4A7D-B23C-A9DE5864E2E3.jpeg I think I’ve solved the weird popping noise. It’s not buttons rattling, but the material covering the driver coming slightly out of place. If you pop off your earpad, and just push this part of the material back into position and hold it there so the adhesive sticks again, I think you’ll be good. At the very least, worth trying before swapping out for a fresh pair.

Oct 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #572 of 2,198
The tiny bell does causeits there all the time, but i havent found anybody with the same issue here :frowning2:
One of your connected devices probably keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. For example, if you're listening through your phone and also connected to your laptop, and your laptop does some power saving stuff and goes to sleep, you'll hear that noise.

Does this still happen when you use the app to only connect to one device?

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #574 of 2,198
Anyone else having issues getting macOS to play in AAC with these? The first time I connect it seems to play through SBC, but if I disconnect and reconnect it does AAC.

Also, I keep looking but is there a definitive idea of whether AAC or aptX is better on Mac? I use Apple Music if that matters.

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #575 of 2,198
Oct 26, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #576 of 2,198
Oct 26, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #577 of 2,198
Oct 26, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #578 of 2,198
Now that I have listened to these for around 15 hours, I‘m really torn when comparing the PX7s to my beloved PX.

I do like that they are more comfortable, they sit on my head better as well. I also like the stealthy black finish and the build quality is just fine, no creaking or anything like that. Although they will definitely need a couple of firmware updates, just as the PX did, they work quite well right out of the box. They connect great two my iPhone and my iPad Pro simultaneously, quick charging is very convenient and the ANC, while not as good as Sonys or Boses, is improved as well compared to the PX. I also like the case that they come with.

So, there‘s a lot to like about the PX7s. But...the sound quality is just not on par with the PX, I feel. I‘m missing this precise, clinical, dry and on point bass delivery and the great clear highs. I never had the P7W and also never auditioned the P9 but people seem to say that the PX7s sound more like the P7W which most say is one of the best wireless headphones ever made.

The PX7s sound a bit boomy to me, almost ‘muddy‘ in the bass and just not as controlled as I like. I never liked the Sony XM3 because of their thumpy, muddy and bloated bass and quickly sold them because of that and the plastic creaking. The highs on the PX7s seem a bit rolled off and not sparkling to my ears. Vocals are a bit recessed sometimes as well, not very upfront sounding in the mix. It might be personal preference of course, and maybe they sound great for certain types/genres of music but I‘m not really feeling it at the moment.

On the go, I also like to use the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless InEars and I prefer their sound signature to the PX7‘s to be honest. They have more clarity, more control and more sparkling highs.

What‘s the general consensus here with regard to the PX7s sound quality/signature so far? And yes I have read the thread but would still be interested to hear some more opinions on that after some usage time with them. Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #579 of 2,198
I also have the Sennheiser Momentum true Wireless and their sound signature I really like. Momentum 3 are really a larger, better-sounding equivalent of these headphones,
if you can call it that. I was practically decided to leave the Px7 myself, because there are songs where they play really great and the wide stage works wonders, but wherever the bass mixes with the vocals or the piano enters the bass, something bad is going on in this band, which I have already written and many people in this topic. Bass just kills the middle.
I don't know if I was able to understand it correctly, because it uses a translator:wink:

Momentum 3 sounds perfect to me, but again this battery, dimensions and case ...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #580 of 2,198
Now that I have listened to these for around 15 hours, I‘m really torn when comparing the PX7s to my beloved PX.

I do like that they are more comfortable, they sit on my head better as well. I also like the stealthy black finish and the build quality is just fine, no creaking or anything like that. Although they will definitely need a couple of firmware updates, just as the PX did, they work quite well right out of the box. They connect great two my iPhone and my iPad Pro simultaneously, quick charging is very convenient and the ANC, while not as good as Sonys or Boses, is improved as well compared to the PX. I also like the case that they come with.

So, there‘s a lot to like about the PX7s. But...the sound quality is just not on par with the PX, I feel. I‘m missing this precise, clinical, dry and on point bass delivery and the great clear highs. I never had the P7W and also never auditioned the P9 but people seem to say that the PX7s sound more like the P7W which most say is one of the best wireless headphones ever made.

The PX7s sound a bit boomy to me, almost ‘muddy‘ in the bass and just not as controlled as I like. I never liked the Sony XM3 because of their thumpy, muddy and bloated bass and quickly sold them because of that and the plastic creaking. The highs on the PX7s seem a bit rolled off and not sparkling to my ears. Vocals are a bit recessed sometimes as well, not very upfront sounding in the mix. It might be personal preference of course, and maybe they sound great for certain types/genres of music but I‘m not really feeling it at the moment.

On the go, I also like to use the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless InEars and I prefer their sound signature to the PX7‘s to be honest. They have more clarity, more control and more sparkling highs.

What‘s the general consensus here with regard to the PX7s sound quality/signature so far? And yes I have read the thread but would still be interested to hear some more opinions on that after some usage time with them. Thanks.

I too love the pxs. I owned the P7W for a few months alongside the pxs and ended up selling them as the bass was not as controlled imho. I did like the low mids on the P7W though as I find the Pxs are slightly recessed.

Btw have you found the ANC a huge upgrade over the Pxs ? What situations have you used it in ? Thanks

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #581 of 2,198

You’re the first person I’ve heard say the highs are rolled off and lacking sparkle on the PX7. I don’t have the PX anymore, but what I remember about them is a very mediocre, rolled off treble, with an emphasis on the high bass/low mids. I will say that the bass response and soundstage were the best things I remember about them, but I couldn’t get past the lack of energy up top. Sounded kind of dull with some tracks. The PX7 has a mild V-shape. To my ears, it’s more dynamic and exciting than the PX while still having just enough balance to remain excellent with more intimate music. While the bass is definitely meatier on the PX7, it’s still to my ears linear and very controlled. It knows when to pull back. It’s just a couple of decibels higher than what I remember of the PX.

The only people I could imagine preferring the PX to the PX7 are those who just don’t prefer a V-Shape of any kind. The PX does come across as the more balanced headphone. But that’s only if you leave ANC Off. Turning it on completely destroys the FR.

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #582 of 2,198
I too love the pxs. I owned the P7W for a few months alongside the pxs and ended up selling them as the bass was not as controlled imho. I did like the low mids on the P7W though as I find the Pxs are slightly recessed.

Btw have you found the ANC a huge upgrade over the Pxs ? What situations have you used it in ? Thanks

I meant the high mids are slightly recessed !

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #583 of 2,198

ANC is a great upgrade, yes. I only tested them vacuuming in the flat and walking on the street with cars driving alongside, so I didn‘t fly or really commute or something like that. In these situations, however, I found the ANC to be much better than on the PX, although not as good as on the XM3.

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #584 of 2,198
You’re the first person I’ve heard say the highs are rolled off and lacking sparkle on the PX7. I don’t have the PX anymore, but what I remember about them is a very mediocre, rolled off treble, with an emphasis on the high bass/low mids. I will say that the bass response and soundstage were the best things I remember about them, but I couldn’t get past the lack of energy up top. Sounded kind of dull with some tracks. The PX7 has a mild V-shape. To my ears, it’s more dynamic and exciting than the PX while still having just enough balance to remain excellent with more intimate music. While the bass is definitely meatier on the PX7, it’s still to my ears linear and very controlled. It knows when to pull back. It’s just a couple of decibels higher than what I remember of the PX.

The only people I could imagine preferring the PX to the PX7 are those who just don’t prefer a V-Shape of any kind. The PX does come across as the more balanced headphone. But that’s only if you leave ANC Off. Turning it on completely destroys the FR.

People hear different things, I suppose :) I perceive the sound of the PX7 (or the PX for that matter) differently then you it seems. Meatier yes! But quite too „meaty“ for me it seems. It doesn’t feel well controlled or at least not very precise to my ears (at least in comparison to the PX) I have had the PX for almost two years now and find it to be the cleaner and more precise sounding headphone. I would love to see some measurements of the PX7s though...

Oct 26, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #585 of 2,198
People hear different things, I suppose :) I perceive the sound of the PX7 (or the PX for that matter) differently then you it seems. Meatier yes! But quite too „meaty“ for me it seems. It doesn’t feel well controlled or at least not very precise to my ears (at least in comparison to the PX) I have had the PX for almost two years now and find it to be the cleaner and more precise sounding headphone. I would love to see some measurements of the PX7s though...

Thanks for the update. Looks like you have the Sony XM3 too and I don't think any current consumer ANC headphone will beat that in noise cancelling. I'm waiting for the PX7 to become available in my country, hopefully by the end of the year although I'm not holding my breath, and if it gets me to 85% of the ANC of the XM3 while sounding noticeably better- then I think it's a winner.

I had a friend also interested in this headphone but he couldn't wait any longer. He bought the Sennheiser Momentum 3 for office and daily commute and luckily found a Sony XM3 going for cheap which he got for the flights and travel. The Momentum 3s sound great but are a pain to actually carry around and use- so I am also hoping the PX7's sound leans more towards that while still having the convenience of better battery life and good ANC from the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back