Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 25, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #556 of 2,191
But what I don't get is APTX adaptive, it was launched last year and to this day 3 pair of headphones and 2 Android phones from Asus is the only devices that supports it.

https://www.aptx.com/product-listing?aptx_type=336

Is this codec dead? Or What is Qualcomm doing? Also what's the point of promoting this feature if barely any devices supports it? There's no way to connect it to any device except 2 phones from a rather small player in the Android world.

Qualcomm doesn't seem to have an ordinary customer support either for us mortals.

Would love to have this codec available on both my PC and phone as i experience the usual Bluetooth audio delay.

I believe the snapdragon 855 is the first SOC to support it and its optional, up to the phone manufacturer to support it. As for bluetooth chipsets, only the last gen flagship QCC5100 family supports it and so far the new B&W headphones and sports earphone are the only products on the market that use it. I believe there are some chi-fi phones coming too but they're the linked sports kind

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #557 of 2,191
I believe the snapdragon 855 is the first SOC to support it and its optional, up to the phone manufacturer to support it. As for bluetooth chipsets, only the last gen flagship QCC5100 family supports it and so far the new B&W headphones and sports earphone are the only products on the market that use it. I believe there are some chi-fi phones coming too but they're the linked sports kind

I just don't understand why they hyped it so much in their initial press release when the only way to actually use it atm is with 2 different phones from a very minor player in the android market.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ge-line-of-wireless-headphones-300922433.html

"Based on the ultra-low power Qualcomm QCC5100 Series Bluetooth Audio SoCs with the all new aptX Adaptive audio technology experience robust, low-latency, high resolution wireless technology at 24/48 streaming quality"

Why does manufactures pay the licence to utilize it? No matter if you manufacturer headphones or android phone. I didnt really use bluetooth when Qualcomm released the APTX HD codec, maybe these roll outs just takes a bit of time?

There was also many articles like this

https://9to5google.com/2018/08/31/android-9-pie-qualcomm-aptx-adaptive-bluetooth/

Left the impression that Aptx Adaptive would be supported on almost every Android 9 phone, kinda like how Sony licensed it out to Google and now LDAC works on almost every Android 9 phone.

Instead only 2 phones supports Adaptive.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #558 of 2,191
I just don't understand why they hyped it so much in their initial press release when the only way to actually use it atm is with 2 different phones from a very minor player in the android market.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ge-line-of-wireless-headphones-300922433.html

"Based on the ultra-low power Qualcomm QCC5100 Series Bluetooth Audio SoCs with the all new aptX Adaptive audio technology experience robust, low-latency, high resolution wireless technology at 24/48 streaming quality"

Why does manufactures pay the licence to utilize it? No matter if you manufacturer headphones or android phone. I didnt really use bluetooth when Qualcomm released the APTX HD codec, maybe these roll outs just takes a bit of time?
Yea it just takes time. Even stuff like CES is targeted at industry partners and press to get free advertising. We'll probably see more support in the coming year since Aptx-LL is apparently being dropped by Qualcomm.

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #559 of 2,191
Yea it just takes time. Even stuff like CES is targeted at industry partners and press to get free advertising. We'll probably see more support in the coming year since Aptx-LL is apparently being dropped by Qualcomm.

Hope so, but its just strange that only 2 phones supports it... But we'll see i guess, having APTX adaptive working on both my phone and PC would perfect these headphones even more.

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #560 of 2,191
Hope so, but its just strange that only 2 phones supports it... But we'll see i guess, having APTX adaptive working on both my phone and PC would perfect these headphones even more.
Honestly I'm not holding my breath on phones. Maybe LG or moto might but I'm pretty sure samsung doesnt even support qualcomm technology like TWS Plus which let's you connect bluetooth earbuds separately as a paired stereo output. They're not very good at following other leadership. Like pushing HDR 10+ instead of using Dolby Vision. Or pushing "Samsung HD" audio instead of aptx HD.

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #561 of 2,191
Honestly I'm not holding my breath on phones. Maybe LG or moto might but I'm pretty sure samsung doesnt even support qualcomm technology like TWS Plus which let's you connect bluetooth earbuds separately as a paired stereo output. They're not very good at following other leadership. Like pushing HDR 10+ instead of using Dolby Vision. Or pushing "Samsung HD" audio instead of aptx HD.

Yeah, but plenty of phones supports APTX HD, hopefully APTX adaptive will make it to those manufactures.

https://www.aptx.com/product-listing?product_category=11&aptx_type=2

Also that list is far from complete, i know plenty of more phones that supports it, but manufactures are pretty much spot on.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #563 of 2,191
But BT/ANC headphones are so much more than just SQ, Both the DALI and NAD HP70 seems to lack multi point connection, which is extremely important from a convenience standpoint. The latter also only got a mere 15 hour battery life and micro USB....

Sure the SQ is the most important factor, but there are so many others like battery life, multi point connection, wear sensors, bluetooth codecs, software/app etc. So many more factors compared to non wireless headphones.

Hypothetically if a pair of headphones satisfied me by lets say 80%, with many other features like multi point, great battery life, fast charging, good software. I'd pick those every time compared to a pair of headphones that satisfied me by a 100% in SQ, but lacked other features like multipoint, worse/no app etc.

That's why I'm so pleased with the PX7, it got almost every feature like the more "consumer grade" ANC headphones like the new Bose/Sony (Sony even lacks multi point) but still manages to have an excellent SQ (to my taste).

The SQ is good for me to skip the wired headphones, the pure convenience of the wireless/anc aspect makes up for it.

Why bother with the NAD HP70 if they fail in almost every other category besides SQ? You're better of with a wired pair of headphones then.
100% agree with this. If you've seen my previous posts, you'll see I made this exact argument when comparing the PX7 to the Sennheiser Momentum 3. That's why I rank the PX7 my overall favorite Wireless ANC headphone. However, I do understand those who want a wireless ANC headphone with the absolute best SQ. Maybe they live in a house with a lot of people and only have one device so multi device pairing isn't an issue. Maybe they don't travel or need the absolute best ANC, just enough to block out sounds around the home. Everyone has different needs, just like we all have different tastes in SQ. If SQ and only SQ is what you're concerned about in a Wireless ANC headphone, my favorite SQ wise is the HP70.

Oct 26, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #565 of 2,191
I've been in the market for a nice set of BT HP's, 90% of the time for use at the office, and the other 5% travel (where I would be concerned with ANC). I'll do a more complete review but let me just say

- build quality is really nice! I don't know what people are expecting, these seem flawless, buttons are fine, no rattles, everything is tight, oh yea.
- very comfortable and ergonomic.
- I find the control buttons very easy to find/manipulate
- SQ is quite good, I'm streaming Tidal over an iphone or macbook pro. Both work just fine. SQ is my priority, then ease of use, battery, then ANC.
- SQ isn't as good / impactful as my HD660s or CA Cascades amped thru my Mojo, but I wouldn't expect them to be
- I haven't tried the ANC much yet, I don't notice a click going between modes (low, high, auto, off), but I haven't played with it much.
- Love the soundstage, playing INXS - Devil Inside and have really nice punch and separation.
- connect easily to 2 devices - however

I must not understand how dual connect is supposed to work. What seems to be happening is I can be connected to 2 devices, and streaming from one, and as soon as the other device starts streaming (say I start a YT vid), the current device stops stream streaming and the 2nd device 'gets' the HP's. There is some stuttering even when only 1 device is streaming.

I'm expecting/hoping a firmware update (I'm on 1.0) will resolve / clarify the dual connect functionality.

Overall I'm quite happy with these. SQ is quite fun and non-fatigueing. Great package and form factor, and comfortable for the 3 hours I've been browing my music library...

+ 1 hour update

I just read the manual, and understand how dual connect should work. I guess it's working as designed.

There is a lot more detail in these cans than I first thought. Seal's first album sounds amazing, might be the glass of wine I'm enjoying with the headphones.

With every hour of listening I'm more pleased with my purchase.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #566 of 2,191
The popping sound I get in the left side has nothing to do with ANC. If I flex my jaw or move my head in a specific way, it will give a little creak/pop, even if the headphones are turned off.

I will keep demoing them, but right now I am leaning towards a return and a refund. Can't deal with this clamping.

The popping sound is like when you change anc level? Its not like a tiny bell that you hear when moving your head lightly and the Music volume is very low or off ? Cause i do have the pop when changing anc level but that really does not botter me. The tiny bell does causeits there all the time, but i havent found anybody with the same issue here :frowning2:

Oct 26, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #567 of 2,191
No, much different popping sound. Doesn't come from the drivers, but somewhere else in the cup. Sounds like flexing of a mini snapple lid. I only get ANC popping when I switch from Auto to Off. Doesn't matter much to me anyway anymore, as I am returning my pair on Tuesday due to comfort issues. Too much clamping gives me a headache.

I have a relative working at Sony who can get me a pair of the XM3 for $220 so that's what I am probably going to end up getting.

Oct 26, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #568 of 2,191
You should try removing the cups... they are held in place with plastic snaps and check for loose parts.
Then put the cups and back on and see if the popping is still there.
I understood from the B&W guy at the Melbourne HiFi show that this is an easy fix... I had no issues with the one I auditioned at the show.
Too bad they’re not available yet in Asia...

Oct 26, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #569 of 2,191
I've already tried that. Removing the pads, cleaning out anything that might be an issue, even tried reversing them. No change, I still get the creak/pop/snap noise in the left side when I move my head or flex my jaw.

Oct 26, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #570 of 2,191
That’s frustrating... does the popping noise also happen without the cups? Then it’s likely something else inside...
I would return for replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back