Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 23, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #511 of 2,191
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. I've been lurking on this thread reading all the impressions and I'm stunned by some. Anyhow, in short, I love my PX7. Comparing them to the my Bose N700, Sony 1000XM3, and Sennheiser Momentum 3, they are my favorite of the 4 with the Bose N700 a close second.

The thing about the PX7 for me is, it ticks more boxes of what I want in a premium ANC headphone than the others. It doesn't win in all categories, but it ticks the most. What are those categories? Sound, Great ANC, the ability to easily switch between multiple devices, comfort, and a good mic for phone calls.

Sound - The PX7 and Sennheiser M3 are a step above the other two in my opinion. I like both. They sound different enough where I could see some people opting to own both. The PX7 is slightly more V Shaped to my ears than the Momentums. It's bass response is more linear. The Momentums have noticeably more emphasis on the sub and mid bass regions. Both have a revealing treble although I find the PX7 ever so slightly brighter in this regard. The Momentum's mids are better tuned to my ears. If I pick a weakness of the PX7, it would be the mids. The mids appear linear and clear, just a little withdrawn. Not greatly so though. The Momentums have excellently tuned mids as most Sennheiser headphones do. Where the PX7 ups the Momentums is in the soundstage. I found it much easier to pick out individual sounds within acoustic music on the PX7. The Momentums are still better than most ANC headphones in this regard, just not to the level of the PX7.

As far as this auto EQ/volume limiter thing people are complaining about. It's not that bad on the PX7. The thing is, I've always noticed some volume eqing going on with headphones that have good to great ANC. Manufacturers do this to prevent distortion. Bose is the worse. They actually market it calling it Active EQ. Smart on their part. Makes it sound like a good thing to the unconscious consumer LOL. The Sony 1000XM3 and Momentum 3 are the only ANC headphones I've heard that don't have some sort of active eq adjusting/volume limiting going on. The Sonys do distort if you get close to Max Volume though. The Momentum 3's ANC is average to below average so I suspect they didn't need it. Sennheiser actually markets these as sound quality first, ANC second. I gather they put just enough ANC in as to not cause distortion where they would need to have active eq. The PX7 has a mild volume limiter on when you have the ANC on. When you get to a certain volume (around 80% on my iPhone), you can hear that certain frequencies within the sound stops increasing. This is most likely to avoid distortion. I find that if I adjust the headphones via the ear cup, it helps in a weird way not make it as noticeable. It's really not a big deal to me as I don't listen loud enough to where this would become an issue. Loud listening to me with the PX7 is 75%. It's plenty loud and dynamic.

ANC - The Sony's clearly lead this category to my ears, followed by the Bose and PX7. The Momentums are clearly in last place in this category. The thing with the PX7 is, it has the best passive isolation of the 4. So it actually cancels sound really well. It handles voices better than the Bose in my opinion. Not as good at cancelling jet engines as the Bose and Sony though. Still not horrible though and is right behind them. I couldn't here anything with music playing at a decent volume (50% or higher).

Multipoint Bluetooth Pairing - The Bose and PX7 CLEARLY win this category.They each have an app where you can control what devices you're connected to without ever having to go into settings. The PX7 takes it even one step further, you can double push the power button to disconnect from all devices and then just connect to a single device. This is helpful if you're on a device that doesn't have the app and you just want to connect to it without looking for your phone. I've used this method many times connecting to my MacBook Pro.

Even though the Momentums have multipoint pairing, I find it the most frustrating to deal with. Even over the Sony's 1 device at a time connection. The thing is, I haven't found an easy way to manage my connections. For example, in the morning I walk my dog. I like to put on my headphones, connect to my phone, and start listening. But sometimes at night, I watch my AppleTV using my headphones while connected to my phone in case I get a call. This creates an inconvenience for me if I use the Momentums when doing this. If I forget to disconnect the Momentums from the AppleTV before I go to bed, in the morning I have to turn on my TV, go into my AppleTV settings, and disconnect the Momentums. Otherwise I will have to wait until I get outside and out of range before turning on the Momentums so it doesn't connect to the AppleTV (The Momentums always remember the last 2 devices you connected to and automatically reconnects). If I don't, while walking my dog, I will start getting major breakups in the audio until I'm fully out of range of my AppleTV. This sometimes can last for a couple of minutes if my dog stops close to my house. And it will continually try to reconnect. Even if I put the headphones in bluetooth pairing mode and connect to my iPhone, it will still connect to the AppleTV automatically. This is the biggest flaw of the Momentums in my opinion. They need a device switcher in their app.

Comfort - The Sonys are the most comfortable followed closely by the PX7. Although I find them all comfortable enough to wear all day. This is the one category where I would say that none are far below the others.

Mic Quality - Bose wins hands down. Mainly because it blows the others away if you happen to be on the phone in a very noisy environment. It's truly remarkable and proves Bose's continued marketing to Business users over mainstream consumers. I've been told both the Momentums and PX7 sound very clear in quiet environments. However, I have been told by a few people that they could hear light to moderate background noise more on the Momentums in comparison to the PX7. The Sonys are out of this race as most people tell me I sound muffled. I've actually had to take the Sonys off on more than one occasion because people say they are having trouble understanding me. That's a HUGE difference from it being too noisy and people can't hear you.

In Summary, the PX7 are my overall favorites followed closely by the Bose N700. I've already sold my Sony 1000XM3 and sent my Momentum 3 back to Amazon. I will most likely keep the Bose N700 for now strictly for traveling as I'm a business person myself and am on calls quite often. The PX7 are my daily drivers for in the office and at home music listening and TV/Movie watching. I have the new Beats Solo Pro on preorder. I'm really hoping they're close to the Bose in Mic Quality. Apple's been advertising their improved mic. If so, they will replace the Bose as my traveling companion. Mainly because the Beats are smaller, more compact, easier to hang around the neck, and to be honest, I preferred the Solo 3's sound to the Bose N700 for traveling headphones. I like some excitement and punch to my sound when moving about. The Bose, while clear and neutral, has always been a bit boring. They're also non pleasing to my ears at louder volumes.

Great job! Finally, some detailed, even handed impressions from someone who has hands on experience with most of the newer ANC over-ear headphones. I can understand and respect someone saying that they don’t like the slightly v-shaped sound signature of the PX7, but the few individuals claiming them to be downright bad or even terrible have lost credibility in my eyes. Hyperbole is not helpful.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #512 of 2,191
Interesting, so if you keep it on high all the time or off all the time- then no popping?
Popping sound only happen when you switch between ANC modes so quickly. Keeping them in one ANC setting or changing ANC setting bit slowly doesn't make any popping noise in my experience. Auto mode some times struggles to find the right ANC mode and switches between ANC modes, that makes the popping sound . That's what I think.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #513 of 2,191
Please report back when you get PX7 and Dali IO6. I am in search of another pair now that I am selling my XM3 due to the creaking issue (got a new pair as warranty replacement but decided not to risk again and get a different one). Just ordered PX7 but may consider others. Thanks.

@ArjenIsM3 would love to hear your comparison between the PX7 and the Dali IO6. Pls post back with your findings. I currently have the Beyerdynamics Lagoon but the headband creaking noise (where the cups meet the headband) overshadowed the great sound it produces. Although ANC is mediocre but wear comfort is great. Tried these on a 12 hr flight between Auckland and Hongkong. So I’m considering returning these Lagoons for either the PX7 or the IO6...

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #514 of 2,191
I’ve had the momentum’s and the Beyerdynamic lagoon’s for two weeks but yesterday they went back. The Beyer,s beat the momentum 3’s for sound quality and comfort but I can’t live with their extremely small ear cups and all the creaking noises they make. Loved the look and feel of the Momentum’s but the battery life with ANC on is silly in today’s age, I was only getting 12h.
I recieve the Dali io-6 and PX7 today, if either of them have the equivalent SQ of the Beyer’s and are comfortable with no distracting creaking noises, I’ll be happy.

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #515 of 2,191
I’ve had the momentum’s and the Beyerdynamic lagoon’s for two weeks but yesterday they went back. The Beyer,s beat the momentum 3’s for sound quality and comfort but I can’t live with their extremely small ear cups and all the creaking noises they make. Loved the look and feel of the Momentum’s but the battery life with ANC on is silly in today’s age, I was only getting 12h.
I recieve the Dali io-6 and PX7 today, if either of them have the equivalent SQ of the Beyer’s and are comfortable with no distracting creaking noises, I’ll be happy.
Love to hear your thoughts.

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #516 of 2,191
@ArjenIsM3 would love to hear your comparison between the PX7 and the Dali IO6. Pls post back with your findings. I currently have the Beyerdynamics Lagoon but the headband creaking noise (where the cups meet the headband) overshadowed the great sound it produces. Although ANC is mediocre but wear comfort is great. Tried these on a 12 hr flight between Auckland and Hongkong. So I’m considering returning these Lagoons for either the PX7 or the IO6...

Should receive them either today or tomorrow. Will do my best to share my thoughts on them both and answer any questions though I probably won't have time for a detailed review.

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #517 of 2,191
The popping sound I get in the left side has nothing to do with ANC. If I flex my jaw or move my head in a specific way, it will give a little creak/pop, even if the headphones are turned off.

I will keep demoing them, but right now I am leaning towards a return and a refund. Can't deal with this clamping.

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #518 of 2,191
I’m hoping the popping noise isn’t the plastic clips that retain the cups in place. Perhaps they should have kept the magnetic fasteners.

On the other hand what Hifi just released a review for the Dali IO6 ... seems lacking dynamics. I tend to ignore what hifi’s reviews albeit their PX7 review is stellar.

again, would love to hear an actual comparison from users having both PX7 and IO6.

cheers and thanks for your time.

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #520 of 2,191
The popping sound I get in the left side has nothing to do with ANC. If I flex my jaw or move my head in a specific way, it will give a little creak/pop, even if the headphones are turned off.
Definitely sounds like a build quality issue. You should send them back and get another pair.

I’m hoping the popping noise isn’t the plastic clips that retain the cups in place. Perhaps they should have kept the magnetic fasteners.
I figured they dropped those in the name of weight savings, but I agree. The magnetic fasteners for the ear cups was one of the nicest qualities of the P7, and I love how they completely hid the aux cable connection. It was just so classy. Switching to plastic clips is a bummer.

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #521 of 2,191
Hi guys,

I have the PX and I’m looking forward to replace them with the new PX7.

I was wondering if any of you use these headphones wired via USB with ANC off. I love using my PX this way (while streaming tidal or Qobuz at 16 bit 44 from my pc) as it clearly outperformed any Bluetooth connection sound quality wise.

has anyone had any experience using the px7 this way? Did you noticed any sound improvements?

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #522 of 2,191
Interesting, so if you keep it on high all the time or off all the time- then no popping?
Correct. If you keep it on High, Low, or Off, I notice no popping. If on Auto, there's a pop that occurs when the headphones are switching levels. This can be annoying if you're going from noisy to quiet environments frequently. In my experience, it occurs shortly after I first turn the headphones on and it recognizes the noise in my environment and switches to the optimal setting. So far for, it doesn't occur anymore after that.

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #523 of 2,191
So I just noticed when using my iPhone there was a little "pop" for every volume change around 50% (by change I mean just pressing the volume button on the iPhone once from around 40%-60%)...not sure if this is the same popping you guys are talking about when changing NC (which I also heard) but I could have sworn it went away after several minutes of music listening.

I'm hoping all of these issues can be addressed in software updates and are not just design flaws of these headphones...

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #524 of 2,191
Great job! Finally, some detailed, even handed impressions from someone who has hands on experience with most of the newer ANC over-ear headphones. I can understand and respect someone saying that they don’t like the slightly v-shaped sound signature of the PX7, but the few individuals claiming them to be downright bad or even terrible have lost credibility in my eyes. Hyperbole is not helpful.
Yeah. There's no way in hell the PX7 are "bad" sounding headphones. I think people get caught up in "their" ideal sound and exaggerate the quality of sound on headphones that don't fall into their standards. I prefer to use words like "I don't prefer", "not my ideal sound", etc, as sound is subjective. I get that there are different levels of sound quality, as I feel is the case when comparing headphones like the Momentum 3, PX7, NAD HP70, to what I consider a step down in sound quality with headphones like the Bose N700, 1000XM3, Beats Studio 3, etc. But to say any of these sound horrible is just not accurate in my opinion. I guess many haven't heard $10 Gas Station headphones before LOL.

To be honest, in todays world of portable, ANC headphones, there's more to making them great than just Sound Quality. Don't get me wrong, it's very important to me. But there's so many other features in portable headphones that make them convenient in different use cases, that I will take a step down in sound quality if the feature set is great. As is the case for me with the Bose N700 vs. Momentum 3. In my opinion, the only thing the Momentum 3 does better than the Bose is Sound Quality and Build Quality. But not enough for me to give up the improved Comfort, Battery Life, much better Bluetooth multi device management, ANC, and Mic Quality. Not when you're talking about portable, traveling, day to day headphones. It's all in how you're using them. There are some people who will never leave the house with their Bluetooth ANC headphones and may only have a cellphone and Laptop that they connect to. In that scenario, I can see the Momentum 3 being the best choice. Very musical sound.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #525 of 2,191
Hi guys,

I have the PX and I’m looking forward to replace them with the new PX7.

I was wondering if any of you use these headphones wired via USB with ANC off. I love using my PX this way (while streaming tidal or Qobuz at 16 bit 44 from my pc) as it clearly outperformed any Bluetooth connection sound quality wise.

has anyone had any experience using the px7 this way? Did you noticed any sound improvements?

I tried this once when I first
Yeah. There's no way in hell the PX7 are "bad" sounding headphones. I think people get caught up in "their" ideal sound and exaggerate the quality of sound on headphones that don't fall into their standards. I prefer to use words like "I don't prefer", "not my ideal sound", etc, as sound is subjective. I get that there are different levels of sound quality, as I feel is the case when comparing headphones like the Momentum 3, PX7, NAD HP70, to what I consider a step down in sound quality with headphones like the Bose N700, 1000XM3, Beats Studio 3, etc. But to say any of these sound horrible is just not accurate in my opinion. I guess many haven't heard $10 Gas Station headphones before LOL.

To be honest, in todays world of portable, ANC headphones, there's more to making them great than just Sound Quality. Don't get me wrong, it's very important to me. But there's so many other features in portable headphones that make them convenient in different use cases, that I will take a step down in sound quality if the feature set is great. As is the case for me with the Bose N700 vs. Momentum 3. In my opinion, the only thing the Momentum 3 does better than the Bose is Sound Quality and Build Quality. But not enough for me to give up the improved Comfort, Battery Life, much better Bluetooth multi device management, ANC, and Mic Quality. Not when you're talking about portable, traveling, day to day headphones. It's all in how you're using them. There are some people who will never leave the house with their Bluetooth ANC headphones and may only have a cellphone and Laptop that they connect to. In that scenario, I can see the Momentum 3 being the best choice. Very musical sound.

I completely agree. It's interesting since you agree since you can see the different types of people in this very thread. People who are 100% wanting the best ANC and people who 100% want the 100% best sound quality...everyone is bound to get disappointed unless they're looking for an all-rounder that's pretty good in everything but not amazing. Also regarding your last point I think the Momentums are actually marketed as an "ultimate everyday listening companion" while the PXC-II is more for the "business traveler", as per Sennheiser's replies to this tweets: https://twitter.com/FlyO23/status/1170712965160423428

I still think that doesn't mean the Momentums should have mediocre battery life and the PXC II shouldn't have USB-C but whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back