Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 22, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #481 of 2,191
I’m currently wearing these in flight from the US to Spain. The ANC unfortunately pales in comparison to the XM3. I miss the overall silence that the XM3 offers and the PX7 easily loses its seal over my ears when I turn my head in either direction. There is definitely a noticeable difference between off/low/high, but it’s still not great. I fly 100k+ miles a year and value ANC so I’ll either return these for the XM3s again (returned an earlier set due to being really creaky) or I might be compelled to try the Sennheiser Momentum 3’s which are getting good reviews...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #482 of 2,191
I am going to return my PX7s. The bell thing is getting on my nerves. Especially because its a 400 euro headphone i cannot let this slip.
Also when my px7 is connected to 2 devices at the same time , it drops connection every 10 sec. Then when i drop the connection from the second device , the problem goes away. Sometimes i need to reboot the headphone to overcome it.

Very disturbing. Because no1 else here complains about this , i think mine is faulty. If you are wondering about bell thingie. I suggested it here in one of my previous posts.

Im going to buy it again after a refund because im very happy with it , if its working.

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #483 of 2,191
I’m currently wearing these in flight from the US to Spain. The ANC unfortunately pales in comparison to the XM3. I miss the overall silence that the XM3 offers and the PX7 easily loses its seal over my ears when I turn my head in either direction. There is definitely a noticeable difference between off/low/high, but it’s still not great. I fly 100k+ miles a year and value ANC so I’ll either return these for the XM3s again (returned an earlier set due to being really creaky) or I might be compelled to try the Sennheiser Momentum 3’s which are getting good reviews...

Dali IO6 uses a Sony ANC chip IIRC so that one is worth a try too. Haven't received mine yet so can't say how good it is.

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #484 of 2,191
I must say I really like how they've incorporated the wear sensor. They function like a pair of true wirlesess earbuds. Take them off the head and afters few min they'll shut down, pit them back on your head and they'll turn on and reconnect.

You basically don't have to turn them on/off manually.

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #485 of 2,191
After testing the ANC a bit yesterday during my walking commute, I'm happy with it. It's not at the level of XM3 ANC but I wasn't really expecting that—instead, it subdues enough of the din around me so I can get lost in the music (and with its sound signature, that's easy). I do appreciate how Auto and High don't really seem to change the sound, at least not in the way that City and Flight did on the PX.

My biggest complaint with the ANC is wind noise, as others have mentioned. If it's windy or even breezy out, the mics will pick it up and force you to turn ANC off. On the XM3s there's a "wind reduction" setting which sacrifices some ANC effectiveness to completely muffle wind sounds. I hope B&W either incorporates that into the Auto setting or adds another setting specifically for it.

Listened to one of my favorite albums yesterday, Nicholas Jaar's Space is Only Noise. It sounds stupidly good with the PX7's expansive soundstage and detail retrieval. And though there are a few points where the mid bass is a bit heavy, the overall low end has a really pleasant amount of texture throughout.

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #486 of 2,191
Quite a few conflicting reports on these so let me add my two cents. My pair are going back.
I use BT ANC headphones infrequently - and exclusively for flying. My main cans are Utopia, Stax etc.

I have demoed in store Bose QC35, NC700, Sony XM2 and Sony XM3 multiple times. I completely rule all of them out as 1) they sound awful 2) ANC is too strong and cause annoying ear pressure for me.

I owned the B&O H9's and these have been replaced with the B&O H9i's. Both have been the headphones I use on flights. Sound is quite good and the ANC is just right in that it does not cause ear pressure. ANC could be better - however the stronger it is the more it will bother me.

Now to the PX7. Build quality excellent - comfort not bad. Sound - poor. Compared to my H9i's veiled, muffled, without any clarity. Not particularly involving as well. At one point I owned the P7W. Those were wonderful and had the PRAT of my Naim 2 channel system.

Now - compared to the Bose NC700 and Sony XM3 - yes the PX7 does sound better. Compared to my B&O H9i - absolutely not.

Now wondering if I should try the new Momentum 3's in search of something to beat out my B&O - or will I just be spinning my wheels???

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #487 of 2,191
Quite a few conflicting reports on these so let me add my two cents. My pair are going back.
I use BT ANC headphones infrequently - and exclusively for flying. My main cans are Utopia, Stax etc.

I have demoed in store Bose QC35, NC700, Sony XM2 and Sony XM3 multiple times. I completely rule all of them out as 1) they sound awful 2) ANC is too strong and cause annoying ear pressure for me.

I owned the B&O H9's and these have been replaced with the B&O H9i's. Both have been the headphones I use on flights. Sound is quite good and the ANC is just right in that it does not cause ear pressure. ANC could be better - however the stronger it is the more it will bother me.

Now to the PX7. Build quality excellent - comfort not bad. Sound - poor. Compared to my H9i's veiled, muffled, without any clarity. Not particularly involving as well. At one point I owned the P7W. Those were wonderful and had the PRAT of my Naim 2 channel system.

Now - compared to the Bose NC700 and Sony XM3 - yes the PX7 does sound better. Compared to my B&O H9i - absolutely not.

Now wondering if I should try the new Momentum 3's in search of something to beat out my B&O - or will I just be spinning my wheels???

Have you tried Master & Dynamic's MW65?

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #488 of 2,191
I received my PX7 yesterday and I've been using them the entire day today. Considering a return and refund.

I don't know if I have big ears or what, but I have to make millimeter micro-adjustments both vertically and horizontally just to make sure my ears fit in the cup. But that's not the biggest problem. The clamping on these is too much for me. I have a decently large head and these just clamp too tightly. Gave me a headache from the pressure and I was unable to wear them for more than 30 minutes without needing a break. Does anyone know if they ease up on the clamp over time?

Another problem is that sometimes when the noise cancelling is on, I hear little creaks or pops in the left side. Sounds exactly like if you've ever "popped" a snapple lid but at a much lower volume. Happened when I was on the train and walking down the sidewalk. Nothing when sitting still in my office. I have no real qualms regarding the sound quality or the ANC. It's fine to me given the price.

I will demo them for the rest of the week and if the clamp doesn't ease up I think I'll return them.

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #489 of 2,191
Have you tried Master & Dynamic's MW65?

Quite honestly they were not even on my radar as I associated the brand more with looks rather than sound and performance.

How are they and how do they stack up against the other contenders?

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #491 of 2,191
Dali IO6 uses a Sony ANC chip IIRC so that one is worth a try too. Haven't received mine yet so can't say how good it is.

Please report back when you get PX7 and Dali IO6. I am in search of another pair now that I am selling my XM3 due to the creaking issue (got a new pair as warranty replacement but decided not to risk again and get a different one). Just ordered PX7 but may consider others. Thanks.

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #492 of 2,191
I received my PX7 yesterday and I've been using them the entire day today. Considering a return and refund.

I don't know if I have big ears or what, but I have to make millimeter micro-adjustments both vertically and horizontally just to make sure my ears fit in the cup. But that's not the biggest problem. The clamping on these is too much for me. I have a decently large head and these just clamp too tightly. Gave me a headache from the pressure and I was unable to wear them for more than 30 minutes without needing a break. Does anyone know if they ease up on the clamp over time?

Another problem is that sometimes when the noise cancelling is on, I hear little creaks or pops in the left side. Sounds exactly like if you've ever "popped" a snapple lid but at a much lower volume. Happened when I was on the train and walking down the sidewalk. Nothing when sitting still in my office. I have no real qualms regarding the sound quality or the ANC. It's fine to me given the price.

I will demo them for the rest of the week and if the clamp doesn't ease up I think I'll return them.

My pxs took a few months to ease up clamp pressure. For a few weeks the pain was pretty horrendous on some instances considering it was only headphones related. Glad I persevered as they eased up and I love and use them daily with no issue. Occasionally, like today, they become painful after a few hours of listening and I had to take them off.

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #494 of 2,191

I try in the past h9i, h9 3rd generation, qc35, nc700 and b&w px, and sony xm2 (creaky plastic problem). I have now with me px7, sennheaiser m3 and p7w. Yes, the p7 wireless is very good prat and I like more than h9i and h9 3g (h9 3g sounding better than h9i, 3g is more correct, not very much bright like h9i). My favourite is p7 wireless but momentum 3 is very close in good sound. I too like the ambient mode of m3, is aspect I use very much and is not very artificial. My problem with h9i and h9 3g is I must using eq in the app and yes, better sound, but isn't enough good. The momentum 3 in normal sound (no eq) is very good. The anc isn't affect the sound or only very very small. The leather ear cup for me is completely necessary and this is very good in m3 and very comfortable. Maybe isn't very important but the construction is really better in m3 comparing with px7 and in your head m3 is looking so better too.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #495 of 2,191
I try in the past h9i, h9 3rd generation, qc35, nc700 and b&w px, and sony xm2 (creaky plastic problem). I have now with me px7, sennheaiser m3 and p7w. Yes, the p7 wireless is very good prat and I like more than h9i and h9 3g (h9 3g sounding better than h9i, 3g is more correct, not very much bright like h9i). My favourite is p7 wireless but momentum 3 is very close in good sound. I too like the ambient mode of m3, is aspect I use very much and is not very artificial. My problem with h9i and h9 3g is I must using eq in the app and yes, better sound, but isn't enough good. The momentum 3 in normal sound (no eq) is very good. The anc isn't affect the sound or only very very small. The leather ear cup for me is completely necessary and this is very good in m3 and very comfortable. Maybe isn't very important but the construction is really better in m3 comparing with px7 and in your head m3 is looking so better too.

How would you compare the ANC between the PX7 and M3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back