Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Apr 24, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #2,641 of 2,912
@Tenlow , exactly same feelings, man. When I was in a testing phase, I had 4 pairs of BT headphones on table in the store to try out: PX, XM2, QC35II and Senheiser Momentum 2 Wireless. ANC off (I have them for my quite office) - sound quality: only PX and M2W passed - the other two (XM and QC) are somehow fuzzy, imprecise, dull.

IMHO, PX has a bit tighter bass and separation; M2W are more comfortable and can play consistently any type of music.

I have chosen PX and despite of a little more headband pressure on top of my head I will not change them any time soon :)

May 25, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #2,643 of 2,912
What are the pad dimensions, inner width, length and depth?

Inner width (horizontal): 40mm (extends out to 50mm, the end that connects to the headphones is 50mm)

Inner height (vertical): 60mm (the end that connects to the headphones is 73mm)

Inner depth: plenty. I don't have exact measurement but I'd estimate 20-25mm. Also, the drivers are angled parallel to the ear so it's very unlikely your ears will touch the driver.

So yeah, for reference, my ears didnt fit into the P7 or Momentum 2.0 earcups, but they easily fit into these, with plenty of space.

P.S., I understand the parentheses part is maybe confusing. Basically, these headphones earpads are slanted, so the end touching your head is slightly smaller than the end connecting to the headphones. The part that touches your head it 60mm x 40mm. The inner opening closest to the headphone is 73mm x 50mm. This makes them very spacious internally compared to most other headphones earcups.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #2,647 of 2,912
It seems like PX is discounted by $100 at most retailers, which could suggest a Series 2 is incoming. But yeah, it’s always exciting when B&W unveil something new.

It’s been a while since I used my PX as daily drivers. Looks like there have been a bunch of firmware updates, and the proximity sensor seems to work much more consistently now. But man, I had forgotten just how spacious and detailed the sound is :L3000:

May 26, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #2,648 of 2,912
Hello guys, I'm thinking about getting the PX because of the $100 OFF deal, but I'd like to know how is the latency while using it with a MacBook Air or a OnePlus 7 Pro, for example. My focus is to be able to watch YouTube, Netflix and listen to music without lag.

Also, this discount means that a new PX "2" is coming out in 2019? If so, I might hold my cash until them.

May 26, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #2,650 of 2,912
Pretty sure there hasn’t been any word about a PX Series 2 yet.

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed audio/video lag when connected via AAC. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some lag when connected via apt-X though. For your MacBook, it should be a non-issue so long as you enable AAC.

Thanks, didn't know about this trick, just enabled AAC/AptX on my Mac just in case. The PX is my main choice right now because of its premium feeling and use of true leather. My other options are:
  • Beoplay H9i
  • Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC
  • Sony WH-1000X M3
I'm really inclined to buy the PX.

May 27, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #2,651 of 2,912
Thanks, didn't know about this trick, just enabled AAC/AptX on my Mac just in case. The PX is my main choice right now because of its premium feeling and use of true leather. My other options are:
  • Beoplay H9i
  • Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC
  • Sony WH-1000X M3
I'm really inclined to buy the PX.

I've heard mixed things about the H9i sound, and the freq response charts aren't too pretty. I've never heard them myself though.

I know nothing about the sennheiser.

The 1000xm3 are extremely comfortable and have a mainstream sound that is hard to dislike. 1000xm3 have a slightly boosted bass and recessed upper treble. They are warmer sounding than the PX. The PX have a more unique sound, which explains some of the polarized reviews. The PX have more of a focus on midrange, while having slightly less mid-bass than the XM3, and more detail overall. The PX's slightly recessed treble and low-midrange attention makes them sound "hollow" to some people. The PX have a very vast soundstage for a closed-back. The PX app is also pretty awesome. So it's really a toss up.

PX for: soundstage, detail, best build/materials, midrange/upper-bass focus.

1000XM3 for: best ANC, warmer sound, best comfort.

***NOTE: I've never owned the 1000XM3, so my assertions about their sound are only from my instore tests and from reviews/charts I've read.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #2,652 of 2,912
I agree—that’s a great assessment. The XM3 has excellent ANC that barely affects its sound signature, and it’s super light and comfortable. That said, the out-of-the-box sound signature has way too much bass emphasis, so it absolutely needs EQ in order for it to even compare to the PX. Even then, the PX has a level of detail, spaciousness, and balance that sets it apart. And when it comes to materials, the XM3 stays light by being completely plastic while the PX is quite a bit heftier by comparison.

May 29, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,653 of 2,912
New owner of the PX headset after the B&O H9i set I had bricked applying the latest firmware. One thing I noticed was the headphones do not go into standby after taking them off my head (waited over 5 minutes and stil sound coming out siting on my desk). Is there a "trick" to get this to work or an issue maybe with this headset (defective). Thanks in advance.

May 29, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,655 of 2,912
New owner of the PX headset after the B&O H9i set I had bricked applying the latest firmware. One thing I noticed was the headphones do not go into standby after taking them off my head (waited over 5 minutes and stil sound coming out siting on my desk). Is there a "trick" to get this to work or an issue maybe with this headset (defective). Thanks in advance.

They should go to sleep in a few minutes. Do you have the ear sensors on? They go into power saving mode in a couple minutes if nothing is triggering the sensors.

The PX app has settings you can use to adjust their performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back