Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
May 29, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,656 of 2,912
I have posted here about this in the past so my apology for the repetition, but the topic of 1000XM3 versus PX has resurfaced here. I loved the PX sound, really did, hated the comfort, an absolute deal breaker for me, and others. The Sony is orders of magnitude more comfortable, not even comparable really and after you knock the bass down using something like Onkyo's HF Player built in EQ it sounds brilliant. The nod to sound quality still goes to the PX, and for beautiful design and premium build materials, but if you can't wear it without discomfort does it matter? That is why I moved from the PX to the XM3. I will gladly audition the next B&W offering as I also owned the P7 wireless and loved it as well. B&W has to stop sacrificing comfort for style, at least not so much.
I will guarantee you the comfort was because the aesthetics were so important that B&W designed the clamp to allow such a stylish look to also sound brilliant, but at a cost. The Sony is very dull looking but you put it on and forget it for the most part. In the end it is the sound that most matters. I am crossing my fingers hoping that B&W follows threads like this (and elsewhere as comfort is universally panned on the Internet) and at least try to increase comfort.

May 29, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #2,657 of 2,912
I have posted here about this in the past so my apology for the repetition, but the topic of 1000XM3 versus PX has resurfaced here. I loved the PX sound, really did, hated the comfort, an absolute deal breaker for me, and others. The Sony is orders of magnitude more comfortable, not even comparable really and after you knock the bass down using something like Onkyo's HF Player built in EQ it sounds brilliant. The nod to sound quality still goes to the PX, and for beautiful design and premium build materials, but if you can't wear it without discomfort does it matter? That is why I moved from the PX to the XM3. I will gladly audition the next B&W offering as I also owned the P7 wireless and loved it as well. B&W has to stop sacrificing comfort for style, at least not so much.
I will guarantee you the comfort was because the aesthetics were so important that B&W designed the clamp to allow such a stylish look to also sound brilliant, but at a cost. The Sony is very dull looking but you put it on and forget it for the most part. In the end it is the sound that most matters. I am crossing my fingers hoping that B&W follows threads like this (and elsewhere as comfort is universally panned on the Internet) and at least try to increase comfort.

I still find the PX more comfortable than their own P7 and P5, and certain other wireless headphones in this tier, like the Momentum 2.0. They have large enough earcups and decent enough headband padding. They also feel to me that they have less clamp pressure than some over ears. I found the P5 and OPPO PM-3 to have more clamp pressure.

But yeah. It's important to note that the padding on the PX earcups is kind of odd. It is listed as ballistic nylon, and it certainly isn't plush. I have thick hair which helps with the earcup pressure and headband. Others may not find them as comfortable.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #2,658 of 2,912
They should go to sleep in a few minutes. Do you have the ear sensors on? They go into power saving mode in a couple minutes if nothing is triggering the sensors.

The PX app has settings you can use to adjust their performance.

Should..... according to the manual it happens after 2 minutes. 15 minutes and still has not turned off. Wear Sensor is on. Tried sensitivity at normal and more and neither had an effect.

May 29, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #2,659 of 2,912
I still find the PX more comfortable than their own P7 and P5, and certain other wireless headphones in this tier, like the Momentum 2.0. They have large enough earcups and decent enough headband padding. They also feel to me that they have less clamp pressure than some over ears. I found the P5 and OPPO PM-3 to have more clamp pressure.

But yeah. It's important to note that the padding on the PX earcups is kind of odd. It is listed as ballistic nylon, and it certainly isn't plush. I have thick hair which helps with the earcup pressure and headband. Others may not find them as comfortable.
I owned the PM3 and while it did have some clamp to it, for my head the PM3 was still more comfortable (actually wearable) than the PX as the pressure was dissipated over a wider area, and the padding had more give. The PX is small and stylish, which looks great, but to get that smallish headphone and maintain a tight seal the clamp is pretty solid, but it also is applied to a very small, and I think sensitive area. If the pads were even 15% bigger say it might have made a significant difference. Hopefully this gets addressed by B&W, they have to know that the comfort was a fail, even if many people say I can take it. I have yet to read anybody say they are actually comfortable, people say things like it doesn't bother me, but nobody says they feel nice to wear. Not that I have read anyway.

May 29, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #2,660 of 2,912
I have yet to read anybody say they are actually comfortable, people say things like it doesn't bother me, but nobody says they feel nice to wear. Not that I have read anyway.
BS... there are many users perfectly happy with them. Many posted in this thread too. I can wear mine all day fine... But one of the virtues of the internet is that people with gripes or compliants tend to be 2500 times more vocal than satisfied customers.

May 29, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #2,661 of 2,912
I owned the PM3 and while it did have some clamp to it, for my head the PM3 was still more comfortable (actually wearable) than the PX as the pressure was dissipated over a wider area, and the padding had more give. The PX is small and stylish, which looks great, but to get that smallish headphone and maintain a tight seal the clamp is pretty solid, but it also is applied to a very small, and I think sensitive area. If the pads were even 15% bigger say it might have made a significant difference. Hopefully this gets addressed by B&W, they have to know that the comfort was a fail, even if many people say I can take it. I have yet to read anybody say they are actually comfortable, people say things like it doesn't bother me, but nobody says they feel nice to wear. Not that I have read anyway.

I would say they are fairly comfortable. Someone else just said they are. So at least 2 people think they are. I also wouldn't say they are "small", I think they're pretty big for portable over-ears. But I agree, B&W has a continuing problem with headphone comfort.

Out of all the headphones I've tried, I'd say the PX are comfier than: Senn Momentum 2.0, V-MODA M-100, ATH-M50X, B&W P7 and P5.
They're not as comfy as: DT 770 Pro, Oppo PM-3, Sony MDR-1A, B&O H6.

Maybe that gives some reference if anyone is wondering about comfort.

May 29, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #2,662 of 2,912
BS... there are many users perfectly happy with them. Many posted in this thread too. I can wear mine all day fine... But one of the virtues of the internet is that people with gripes or compliants tend to be 2500 times more vocal than satisfied customers.

Sonic's opinion is just as valid as yours.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #2,663 of 2,912
Sold my pair due to comfort issues as well. The main reason I let them go was because the earcups were so stiff, putting them over my glasses ruined the seal thus having the majority of bass response go completely out the window.

May 29, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #2,664 of 2,912
Another "downvote" for comfort. I am selling an unopened refurb pair because of it. This is to say this is a bad pair of cans, but they are small and if you have larger ears and or a larger head not to mention wear glasses as I do, then they are not going to be the most comfortable.
I am otherwise very positive on them. I bought a pair on amazon, it had an issue and Bowers honored the warranty and sent me a refurb pair. The sound in the bluetooth category is excellent. But they are not built to fit everyone comfortably.

May 29, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #2,665 of 2,912
I would say they are fairly comfortable. Someone else just said they are. So at least 2 people think they are. I also wouldn't say they are "small", I think they're pretty big for portable over-ears. But I agree, B&W has a continuing problem with headphone comfort.

Out of all the headphones I've tried, I'd say the PX are comfier than: Senn Momentum 2.0, V-MODA M-100, ATH-M50X, B&W P7 and P5.
They're not as comfy as: DT 770 Pro, Oppo PM-3, Sony MDR-1A, B&O H6.

Maybe that gives some reference if anyone is wondering about comfort.

See, and I find the P7 to be more comfortable than the PX. I even find the Momentum 2.0 Wireless to be about equal on comfort as the PX, with the Momentum maybe having a slight edge.

The weird thing with the PX is that I sometimes find them very comfortable ... until I adjust them to make them sound "more correct" to my ears, which moves the headband further back on the top of my head but also seems to angle the weird pads so that they cram my ears a little, which I don't notice at first so much... but after about 20 minutes or so, I began to really notice pain on my ears, which I can only alleviate by taking them off or putting them back in a suboptimal position for the sound, pushing the top of the headband more forward and making the sound more hollow-sounding and with noticeably reduced bass.

The P7 (I don't have the wireless yet, just the P7 wired-only) are very comfortable to me and I never find myself fiddling with the positioning like I do with the PX.

May 29, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #2,666 of 2,912
FWIW I've kept my P7Ws while the PXes were sold off long ago. The P7s aren't comfort champs or anything, but they aren't as aggressively uncomfortable as the PXes.

Before anybody chews me out or anything, everybody's head size is different. What works for you obviously didn't work for me.

May 29, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #2,667 of 2,912
My ears don't fit into the P7 earcups, so those rectangular edges pinch my ears, and the foam inside them is quite stiff. Same goes for momentum 2.0, except those pads are even stiffer and smaller. I guess it just depends what bothers you most. The PX fit over my ears easily and there is plenty of depth inside the earcups so my ears never touch the drivers. There are very few headphones I can say that for.

May 29, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #2,668 of 2,912
I don't think I said anything out of line nor was I disrespectful to you or anybody else so not sure why you think you need to take that tone with me. I actually loved the PX aside from the comfort. Did I miss some comments about comfort? Seems like I did, but you can say things without needing to be all confrontational and telling me that I'm full of s**t which you did. The art of Internet communication requires some respect and decorum.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #2,669 of 2,912
My ears don't fit into the P7 earcups, so those rectangular edges pinch my ears, and the foam inside them is quite stiff. Same goes for momentum 2.0, except those pads are even stiffer and smaller. I guess it just depends what bothers you most. The PX fit over my ears easily and there is plenty of depth inside the earcups so my ears never touch the drivers. There are very few headphones I can say that for.

The PX definitely have roomier cups than the P7 and Momentum 2.0/Wireless for sure, but they are also angled or something... so the PX are roomier if I wear them a certain way but they actually crowd my ears worse than the P7 and Momentum if I move the PX back further back to improve the sound so bass actually isn't anemic and the sound isn't as hollow. (EDIT: this is with ANC / "Environment filter" completely off... with ANC on, bass becomes quite prominent, even boomy, even with the cups adjusted on my head in optimal-comfort position, but clarity suffers so I almost always use them with ANC off.)

So I have to choose, on the PX, between optimal sound and optimal comfort.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #2,670 of 2,912

Users who are viewing this thread

Back