Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jan 28, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,596 of 2,912
Never thought of BT as a security risk! Thanks for the information. Heck, I use BT keyboard and trackpad with my iMac. I guess on my iPhone and iPad I should turn BT off. I do use BT on my iPhone in the car. Thanks again.
I use wireless Keyboard and Mouse too, but they are usually invisible for outsiders and safe. In the car or on the go in general I wouldn't speak of a risk either. But static, often-on devices like your Computer or TV are an invitation. Also having BT always switched on on your phone or watch not only drains battery, but also makes it more likely to forget to switch it off when you should (high risk environments like touristy spots).

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,597 of 2,912
Just to correct some of the FUD here...

Bluetooth is no more of a security risk than WiFi or any other encrypted wireless protocol.
Clearly if you leave your Bluetooth (or by extension protocols such as Airdrop) as discoverable then your devices can be seen, but unless you authenticate a pairing then there is really a very limited risk.

Equally having Bluetooth switched on continuously consumes barely any additional power unless it is active and newer Bluetooth LE protocols are even more power efficient.

On modern mobile or laptop devices Bluetooth security or power consumption really is the least of your worries!

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #2,598 of 2,912
Just to correct some of the FUD here...

Bluetooth is no more of a security risk than WiFi or any other encrypted wireless protocol.
Clearly if you leave your Bluetooth (or by extension protocols such as Airdrop) as discoverable then your devices can be seen, but unless you authenticate a pairing then there is really a very limited risk.

Equally having Bluetooth switched on continuously consumes barely any additional power unless it is active and newer Bluetooth LE protocols are even more power efficient.

On modern mobile or laptop devices Bluetooth security or power consumption really is the least of your worries!
A big +1 thumbs up

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #2,599 of 2,912
Well the PX are not going to work... just when you think they are comfortable enough. they are not. My second issue with the PX is that for 80% percent of the various things I listen to they sound really good and the other 20% sound terrible. So I am now between H9i which are my first choice for now then xm3. The H9i are very comfy and well built and sound great. The XM3 sound great also but a tad muddy. The H9i are currently on sale for $386 from $499 while XM3 are $350. When picking up the XM3 they feel like a dollar store toy while the H9i feel like you could hang them off your belt and circumnavigate the Earth. The ANC on the Sony are the best but the H9i are close.
What did you end up doing? I last visited this forum about 5 months ago when I got the PX. They've been broken in and sound very nice. My issue is the very narrow sweet spot due to the angled speakers. I find myself getting annoyed by it more and more because I am moving the phones around my ears trying to find the best spot. I have a small head and average ears so the clamp force doesn't bother me and my ears fit nicely inside the cups. I do feel pressure at the top of my head. I don't like that the cups are shallow to the point where the speakers usually touch my ears.

Prior to the PX I had the Sony 1000X2. I loved the comfort and could always just put them on and not worry about any stupid sweet spot. I found the sound to be a bit muddy and I don't use ANC all that often, so I sold them and got the PX. I'm now considering getting the 1000X3. I am worried that the sound stage will be narrower and also that the sound will still be a little muddy vs. the PX. What 20% of content did not sound good to you on the PX and is it better on the Sony?

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,600 of 2,912
I stuck it out with the PX. They sound great! The Sony XM3’s are good but sound much more narrow, boomy and not as accurate. The H9i also sound great but a little more harsh and edgy to the point of skittle fatiguing to listen to. The PX’s soundstage is wide and just sound liquid smooth. They are fantastic with a good glass of rum. I originally stated that about 20% of my content not found it dissipated as they broke it. I originally stated that 20% of what I listen to it not sound as good, but that seems to have corrected it self as I got used to them and they broke in.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #2,601 of 2,912
I stuck it out with the PX. They sound great! The Sony XM3’s are good but sound much more narrow, boomy and not as accurate. The H9i also sound great but a little more harsh and edgy to the point of skittle fatiguing to listen to. The PX’s soundstage is wide and just sound liquid smooth. They are fantastic with a good glass of rum. I originally stated that about 20% of my content not found it dissipated as they broke it. I originally stated that 20% of what I listen to it not sound as good, but that seems to have corrected it self as I got used to them and they broke in.

I'd never broken in headphones prior to the PX but it made a huge difference. Totally different sound vs. out of the box. Glad you ended up keeping yours. I've read reviews of the Sony and think they won't be much different from the XM2. Thank you for your comparison!

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #2,602 of 2,912
The XM3s actually sound a nice bit better than the XM2, especially when I turn DSEE off. I find the sound much more natural with it off and can absolutely tell the difference with the added analog AMP.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #2,603 of 2,912
The XM3s actually sound a nice bit better than the XM2, especially when I turn DSEE off. I find the sound much more natural with it off and can absolutely tell the difference with the added analog AMP.

Did I miss a post or did you ditch the PX a second time? I noticed it’s not in your sig....

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #2,604 of 2,912
Did I miss a post or did you ditch the PX a second time? I noticed it’s not in your sig....
I did. I found as I became more mobile, the fit just wasn’t secure enough whilst traveling. The sound, however, could not be beat IMO. I found a compromise with the XM3; better comfort, still sounds great.

If they came out with ear pads that still retained the signature but gave you a more comfortable fit, I would purchase again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #2,605 of 2,912
Hi, it's been quite a while I have a B&W PX but have some buttons stucked and pairing button not working.
I've been trying to repair it myself as I don't want to be whithout headphones too long and I am not total beginner at repairing things.

Unfortunately I could not find any informations about repairing this headphone and removing parts is a real puzzle !
Still, i have been able to remove the battery but not being able to see the PCB yet.

Anyone tried it?
20190211_021057_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #2,606 of 2,912
Hi guys, i need some help. The problem is that i get the sensation that my PX don’t sound consistent. Sometimes the sound is fantastic and immersive, sometimes dull and distant. The firmware ver is 1.117, havent tried on earlier ver because my headphones are 2 months old. What to do to make the sound consistent, i think this is software related ?

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #2,607 of 2,912
Hi guys, i need some help. The problem is that i get the sensation that my PX don’t sound consistent. Sometimes the sound is fantastic and immersive, sometimes dull and distant. The firmware ver is 1.117, havent tried on earlier ver because my headphones are 2 months old. What to do to make the sound consistent, i think this is software related ?

Is anc on or off? This affects sound quality.

What sources, they will reveal the source differences so it could just be your aources changing.

Likewise, diuble check whether aptx is working. A source device can change out of aptx and that changes sound for sure.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,608 of 2,912
Is anc on or off? This affects sound quality.

What sources, they will reveal the source differences so it could just be your aources changing.

Likewise, diuble check whether aptx is working. A source device can change out of aptx and that changes sound for sure.
Anc is off. I use iphone X, but also iMac , and aptx is on with imac, music source is apple music. I don’t know what is the problem, but music reproduction is inconsistent.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,609 of 2,912
Anc is off. I use iphone X, but also iMac , and aptx is on with imac, music source is apple music. I don’t know what is the problem, but music reproduction is inconsistent.

Do you mean sometimes the sound reproduction is better than other times using the PX? If so I've found that to be true in my experience. I thought maybe it was me.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #2,610 of 2,912
Do you mean sometimes the sound reproduction is better than other times using the PX? If so I've found that to be true in my experience. I thought maybe it was me.
Yes I mean exactly that. And I’m 100% sure it is happening. I think it is software in question. I’ve used 1.117 firmware since start, haven’t tried on earlier ver, whats your experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back