Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #1,606 of 2,912
Thank you to everyone else who helped me make decisions regarding the PXs, both before and after purchase. I'm also a first-time poster and hope that others find this post useful.

COMFORT
This was my first concern as I have a large head and have to expand most headphones all the way open. For a while, I was disappointed in the comfort of the PXs and thought that I would be forced to return them. I've since changed my mind and will be keeping them happily. Read on for details as to why.

Comparing to P7 Comfort
Last year I tried out the P7 wireless headphones and thoroughly enjoyed their sound. Sadly however, I had to return them because they gave me terrible headaches. I couldn't open the P7s as far as needed to accommodate my head, which meant that the band pushed into the top of my head. Additionally, the clamping force on my ears was unbearable and I felt tremendous relief upon removing them from my head.

Because several people in this thread mentioned that the PXs had become more comfortable with extended use, I decided to purchase a blue/gold pair directly from B&W and take advantage of their 60-day, no-risk trial.

Ear Cups
Since I also own a pair of pillowy-soft B&O H9s, the earpads on the PXs seemed thin and disappointing at first. While the H9 ear cups are still more comfortable and I envy their design a bit, I'm happy to report that the PXs have closed the comfort gap considerably. They won't ever be as comfortable as the H9s, but they're good enough that comfort is no longer a shortcoming.

In fact, I've come to appreciate the seal that their ovular cup design creates. The clamping force is just right, does not cause any discomfort on my ears, and my ears never get too hot. The isolation provided by the ear cup design allows me to enjoy listening in a way that I haven't experienced since trying out the P7s.

Headband
Thankfully, the PXs fit my head in the fully-open position. At first, I had to shift the headband around frequently to avoid discomfort. However, after 6 weeks of usage, I don't have to do this very often--perhaps a couple times a day while at work.

While not plush by any means, I find the headband adequately comfortable and far better than the rigid one on the P7s.

DESIGN
With the PXs, I'm the envy of the other guys in the office. I didn't have the heart to tell them that my PXs only cost $50 more than their plastic Bose wireless headphones.

Color
The blue/gold color combination is simply stunning. It's upscale and stands out without being ostentatious. It's difficult to describe the gold color accurately, but it's almost as though B&W mixed in a hint of copper to create a uniquely perfect complement to the navy blue. The matte finish to the metal is also top-notch.

Storage
When swiveled so the the ear cups lay flat for storage, the headband sits higher than the ear cups. This means that they're not flat like the H9s, which makes finding a tightly-fitting hard case difficult. While I wish they mimicked the H9s here, it's not a big deal and I've gotten over it.

The soft case that comes with the PXs has a magnetic closure and an upscale look. It's adequate, but I may consider this hard case: https://amazon.com/dp/B01CVSY0J0. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

SOUND QUALITY
And now for the best part! I absolutely love listening to these headphones. While I was on vacation from work, I started to miss using the PXs.

Burn In
I won't belabor the point here, but I wholeheartedly agree that these headphones need to be burned in. At first, their sound seemed good, but somewhat ordinary and not worth $399.

However, I followed the instructions of others and burned them in for 20+ hours using the YouTube pink noise track. This made a huge improvement and prevented me from returning them.

Bass
I liked the bass on the P7 wireless headphones, but I like it even better on the PXs. While not as heavy, it's tight and accurate. Don't let other reviews fool you. The bass is not absent by any means, and it strikes an excellent balance for my taste.

To be fair, I don't know what basshead cans sound like, but I love the bass on these.

Mids & Treble
I don't have enough experience to provide a detailed analysis here, but I'm thrilled with the mid and upper range. I hear details that I've never heard before. The sound is detailed and clear.

Yes, these headphones expose poor recordings, but I'm okay with that. It's worth the tradeoff for those moments when the sound really shines on a well-recorded album.

Sound Stage
When I listen with lower-quality headphones, everything feels flattened and I hear the music as one unit. But with the PXs, I hear individual parts of a song distinctly. The sounds are separated so as to be unique, but they blend together in a way that makes me want to explore and expand my music library.

NOISE CANCELLATION
As others have said, noise cancellation on these is not as strong as the Bose or Sony units. However, that does not mean that it's poor.

Granted, I use these in an office most of the time, so I don't need a great deal of noise cancellation. The PX ear cup design provides quite a bit of passive noise cancellation in quieter environments.

I typically listen to them in the Office setting, which cuts out most of the HVAC noise that's always present. Yes, I can hear people talking if my music is stopped, but I can't hear them at all when playing music.

The City and Airplane modes do cut into the sound quality, as stated by others. But I'm okay with this and appreciate the fact that noise cancellation can be customized for any circumstance. Plus, it doesn't hurt my ears like the Bose NC does.

CONNECTION
I'd still buy the PXs just for their sound quality, but these features really set these headphones apart.

Sensors

The sensors are not perfect, but I'm glad to have them. With the latest firmware, they work the majority of the time. Every once in a while, they won't recognize that I've put the headphones back on. In this case, I take them off and put them on a second time to solve the problem. They always recognize when I've removed the cups from my ears, which stops the music.

I love the automatic start/stop and pairing feature that also shuts down the headphones after 2 minutes of inactivity. For an office setting, it's absolutely wonderful since I have to leave my desk frequently.

Distance
Excellent distance capabilities. I can walk around our entire ranch-style home without losing the bluetooth connection.

My only gripe here is that the sound skips every once in a while. It's not frequent by any means, but it's more often than with the P7s or my H9s. Hopefully even these random occurrences will be solved with a firmware update.

Bluetooth Pairing
I wish that the PX app gave me the option to set a primary device and then reconnect to this device every time when I put the headphones back on. The P7s operated on this primary device concept.

In the current iteration, the PXs are supposed to reconnect automatically to the last-used device. However, sometimes they will connect to my laptop, even though I was using my phone last. Plus, I always want to be connected to my phone but only wish to connect to my laptop as needed.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but if the headphones could reconnect to 2 devices automatically, that would be even better!

BATTERY
The automatic power management prevents me from leaving the headphones on and coming back to a dead battery. I can use these all week at work without recharging them. They last every bit of the rated 23 hours.

When they do need charging, the seem to charge in less than 2 hours. It's also nice that they use a USB-C cable and I don't have to fiddle with aligning a micro USB plug.

CONCLUSION
It took 4-6 weeks of breaking in the PXs, but these headphones are now comfortable, even on my large head. I contemplated returning them because of comfort issues during this break in period, but now I wouldn't dream of it. While they're not the most comfortable bluetooth headphones available, they are comfortable enough.

Now that they're burned in, I am completely thrilled with the sound quality. I don't know if it's the angled drivers, the internal DAC, or something else, but B&W really nailed it here. The balance of tight bass with clear highs makes me want to use these headphones more often.

The sensors that automatically reestablish the bluetooth connection and start/stop the audio really set these headphones apart. Now that I'm accustomed to the PXs, I don't want to use wireless headphones in a work environment unless they have this feature.

The PXs are not perfect, but they're a good value and the best wireless headphone option available. Well done B&W. Please continue to push out firmware updates to improve these wonderful headphones even further.

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #1,607 of 2,912
People love to rag on Bose's cheap plastic headphones, but as far as plastics usage goes I'd think Sony's cans feel the worst out of the lot. The QC35 isn't actually made out of regular plastic, Bose uses glass-filled nylon which is a lot hardier. I've seen reviews where the headband gets stretched almost flat and it just springs right back. No way you're doing that with a Sony or B&W can. tbh the 35s win just about every category except sound, they're lightweight and comfortable, their connection is generally rock solid and nobody else handles multipoint connections better. Too bad the sound signature is just so damned mediocre.

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #1,608 of 2,912
It took 4-6 weeks of breaking in the PXs, but these headphones are now comfortable, even on my large head. I contemplated returning them because of comfort issues during this break in period, but now I wouldn't dream of it. While they're not the most comfortable bluetooth headphones available, they are comfortable enough.

Now that they're burned in, I am completely thrilled with the sound quality. I don't know if it's the angled drivers, the internal DAC, or something else, but B&W really nailed it here. The balance of tight bass with clear highs makes me want to use these headphones more often.

The sensors that automatically reestablish the bluetooth connection and start/stop the audio really set these headphones apart. Now that I'm accustomed to the PXs, I don't want to use wireless headphones in a work environment unless they have this feature.

The PXs are not perfect, but they're a good value and the best wireless headphone option available. Well done B&W. Please continue to push out firmware updates to improve these wonderful headphones even further.

Totally agree with you on this. I've had mine a few months now and they remain my go-to headphone for most music.

The wear sensors really add to the convenience of bluetooth headphones in my opinion. The only thing that they don't have is a really good sub-bass response for EDM-type music. I have gone back to my V-Moda M100s to listen to some EDM this week and it really seems a hassle having to plug in the cable and not having a wear sensor now!

I wonder if B&W will release a new P7 successor with the same sound signature, but with the wear sensor from the PX. I'd definitely buy those as well.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #1,609 of 2,912
Thank you to everyone else who helped me make decisions regarding the PXs, both before and after purchase. I'm also a first-time poster and hope that others find this post useful.

COMFORT
This was my first concern as I have a large head and have to expand most headphones all the way open. For a while, I was disappointed in the comfort of the PXs and thought that I would be forced to return them. I've since changed my mind and will be keeping them happily. Read on for details as to why.

Comparing to P7 Comfort
Last year I tried out the P7 wireless headphones and thoroughly enjoyed their sound. Sadly however, I had to return them because they gave me terrible headaches. I couldn't open the P7s as far as needed to accommodate my head, which meant that the band pushed into the top of my head. Additionally, the clamping force on my ears was unbearable and I felt tremendous relief upon removing them from my head.

Because several people in this thread mentioned that the PXs had become more comfortable with extended use, I decided to purchase a blue/gold pair directly from B&W and take advantage of their 60-day, no-risk trial.

Ear Cups
Since I also own a pair of pillowy-soft B&O H9s, the earpads on the PXs seemed thin and disappointing at first. While the H9 ear cups are still more comfortable and I envy their design a bit, I'm happy to report that the PXs have closed the comfort gap considerably. They won't ever be as comfortable as the H9s, but they're good enough that comfort is no longer a shortcoming.

In fact, I've come to appreciate the seal that their ovular cup design creates. The clamping force is just right, does not cause any discomfort on my ears, and my ears never get too hot. The isolation provided by the ear cup design allows me to enjoy listening in a way that I haven't experienced since trying out the P7s.

Headband
Thankfully, the PXs fit my head in the fully-open position. At first, I had to shift the headband around frequently to avoid discomfort. However, after 6 weeks of usage, I don't have to do this very often--perhaps a couple times a day while at work.

While not plush by any means, I find the headband adequately comfortable and far better than the rigid one on the P7s.

DESIGN
With the PXs, I'm the envy of the other guys in the office. I didn't have the heart to tell them that my PXs only cost $50 more than their plastic Bose wireless headphones.

Color
The blue/gold color combination is simply stunning. It's upscale and stands out without being ostentatious. It's difficult to describe the gold color accurately, but it's almost as though B&W mixed in a hint of copper to create a uniquely perfect complement to the navy blue. The matte finish to the metal is also top-notch.

Storage
When swiveled so the the ear cups lay flat for storage, the headband sits higher than the ear cups. This means that they're not flat like the H9s, which makes finding a tightly-fitting hard case difficult. While I wish they mimicked the H9s here, it's not a big deal and I've gotten over it.

The soft case that comes with the PXs has a magnetic closure and an upscale look. It's adequate, but I may consider this hard case: https://amazon.com/dp/B01CVSY0J0. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

SOUND QUALITY
And now for the best part! I absolutely love listening to these headphones. While I was on vacation from work, I started to miss using the PXs.

Burn In
I won't belabor the point here, but I wholeheartedly agree that these headphones need to be burned in. At first, their sound seemed good, but somewhat ordinary and not worth $399.

However, I followed the instructions of others and burned them in for 20+ hours using the YouTube pink noise track. This made a huge improvement and prevented me from returning them.

Bass
I liked the bass on the P7 wireless headphones, but I like it even better on the PXs. While not as heavy, it's tight and accurate. Don't let other reviews fool you. The bass is not absent by any means, and it strikes an excellent balance for my taste.

To be fair, I don't know what basshead cans sound like, but I love the bass on these.

Mids & Treble
I don't have enough experience to provide a detailed analysis here, but I'm thrilled with the mid and upper range. I hear details that I've never heard before. The sound is detailed and clear.

Yes, these headphones expose poor recordings, but I'm okay with that. It's worth the tradeoff for those moments when the sound really shines on a well-recorded album.

Sound Stage
When I listen with lower-quality headphones, everything feels flattened and I hear the music as one unit. But with the PXs, I hear individual parts of a song distinctly. The sounds are separated so as to be unique, but they blend together in a way that makes me want to explore and expand my music library.

NOISE CANCELLATION
As others have said, noise cancellation on these is not as strong as the Bose or Sony units. However, that does not mean that it's poor.

Granted, I use these in an office most of the time, so I don't need a great deal of noise cancellation. The PX ear cup design provides quite a bit of passive noise cancellation in quieter environments.

I typically listen to them in the Office setting, which cuts out most of the HVAC noise that's always present. Yes, I can hear people talking if my music is stopped, but I can't hear them at all when playing music.

The City and Airplane modes do cut into the sound quality, as stated by others. But I'm okay with this and appreciate the fact that noise cancellation can be customized for any circumstance. Plus, it doesn't hurt my ears like the Bose NC does.

CONNECTION
I'd still buy the PXs just for their sound quality, but these features really set these headphones apart.

Sensors

The sensors are not perfect, but I'm glad to have them. With the latest firmware, they work the majority of the time. Every once in a while, they won't recognize that I've put the headphones back on. In this case, I take them off and put them on a second time to solve the problem. They always recognize when I've removed the cups from my ears, which stops the music.

I love the automatic start/stop and pairing feature that also shuts down the headphones after 2 minutes of inactivity. For an office setting, it's absolutely wonderful since I have to leave my desk frequently.

Distance
Excellent distance capabilities. I can walk around our entire ranch-style home without losing the bluetooth connection.

My only gripe here is that the sound skips every once in a while. It's not frequent by any means, but it's more often than with the P7s or my H9s. Hopefully even these random occurrences will be solved with a firmware update.

Bluetooth Pairing
I wish that the PX app gave me the option to set a primary device and then reconnect to this device every time when I put the headphones back on. The P7s operated on this primary device concept.

In the current iteration, the PXs are supposed to reconnect automatically to the last-used device. However, sometimes they will connect to my laptop, even though I was using my phone last. Plus, I always want to be connected to my phone but only wish to connect to my laptop as needed.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but if the headphones could reconnect to 2 devices automatically, that would be even better!

BATTERY
The automatic power management prevents me from leaving the headphones on and coming back to a dead battery. I can use these all week at work without recharging them. They last every bit of the rated 23 hours.

When they do need charging, the seem to charge in less than 2 hours. It's also nice that they use a USB-C cable and I don't have to fiddle with aligning a micro USB plug.

CONCLUSION

hiya,
thanks for writing down your experiences with the px. however what really caught my eye is that you also own a h9. actually i wanted to order my px today but im also leaning a bit towards to the h9. i will use the device at home with pc, surrounded by noisy neihgbours (mostly low frequency) so strong anc is a must.
how would you compare the px and the h9 in matters of anc efficiency, sq with anc on and range?
also theres a caveat concerning the px, namely that glasses (and i have those) break the seal so isolation is not that efficient. any thoughts on that?
thanks,
g

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #1,610 of 2,912
People love to rag on Bose's cheap plastic headphones, but as far as plastics usage goes I'd think Sony's cans feel the worst out of the lot. The QC35 isn't actually made out of regular plastic, Bose uses glass-filled nylon which is a lot hardier. I've seen reviews where the headband gets stretched almost flat and it just springs right back. No way you're doing that with a Sony or B&W can. tbh the 35s win just about every category except sound, they're lightweight and comfortable, their connection is generally rock solid and nobody else handles multipoint connections better. Too bad the sound signature is just so damned mediocre.

I personally have no issue with some use of plastic or glass/nylon in headphones, as long as they are durable. That isn't what bothered me about the Bose and Sony ANC phones. It was the sound that I didn't like.

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,611 of 2,912
I am back with a short, selective review after around 50 days of using the PXs. Given that I used this thread extensively to inform my purchase, it was incumbent on me to contribute something. I hope at least one person finds it useful!

B&W
* Excellent customer service. I mean it. Excellent.
* The 60-day no quibble trial period is so very useful and a massive deal-maker!

USAGE
* I have used them in very quiet environments, in environments where there is some level of ambient sound (e.g. an office), and in loud environments (cafés, streets etc).
* I have used them whilst still, and whilst on the move.
* I have not used them in an airplane.

SOUND
* Very happy with all aspects of this, having listened to a wide variety of music and spoken audio (radio, audio books). I won't dwell on this as this is something that one really needs to test him/herself, as there's so much subjectivity and personal preference involved.

ANC
* Never got the ANC to completely block out ambient sound, but for me it was good enough.
* The ANC does perceptibly affect the audio quality, but again it was not enough of an issue for me.
(I have never previously owned a pair of ANC headphones, so cannot compare to Sony, Bose, Sennheiser etc.)

ERGONOMICS
* These are a heavy set of headphones. This is my biggest single gripe. Whilst on the move, this is a problem for me because it leads to a lot of discomfort and headache. This is possibly a deal breaker.
* Cups become softer over time. Initially they were significantly harder and it was a concern, so this is a positive.
* The headband becomes softer too -- though to a lesser extent.

BLUETOOTH
* Whilst on the move, especially in busy London streets, the PXs (not infrequently) did cut off from the sound source, for a moment or two. Could of course be due to a variety of factors. Not a deal breaker.

OTHER
* Not having a passive mode (i.e. ability to function without battery power) is a source of festering disappointment, mainly because I don't look at headphones as consumables (unlike a mobile phone). I have a variety of (admittedly non-ANC) headphones that are 5+ years old, work beautifully, and would ideally want PXs to work as passive headphones long in to the future when the battery packs up and/or when the technology becomes ancient.
* USB-C is a big plus, especially since the rest of my devices are powered by this, and this is the proverbial future.

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,612 of 2,912
Given the recent conversations I do think several posters would find the B&O H9 worth a try, and perhaps better. See my detailed write up of PX vs H9 in the H9 thread at article #665.

Rumours suggest there is a new B&O “H9i” coming out in the coming weeks/months, and I’ve decided to hold back for that one. A dealer told me it would have some microphone passthrough like the PX, and perhaps some improvements to ANR, although that is just speculation until they are announced. From one of the test documents it looks as though it might also have USB-C rather than micro USB.
Are these H9i rumors any true? Intrigued and usb-c would be more than welcome.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #1,613 of 2,912
hiya,
thanks for writing down your experiences with the px. however what really caught my eye is that you also own a h9. actually i wanted to order my px today but im also leaning a bit towards to the h9. i will use the device at home with pc, surrounded by noisy neihgbours (mostly low frequency) so strong anc is a must.
how would you compare the px and the h9 in matters of anc efficiency, sq with anc on and range?
also theres a caveat concerning the px, namely that glasses (and i have those) break the seal so isolation is not that efficient. any thoughts on that?
thanks,
g
Happy to help here. For context, I bought the H9s a year ago after returning the P7 Wireless headphones due to the discomfort issues that I mentioned. The H9s were my second choice because there wasn't anything else available that offered both sound quality and top-notch construction. I read all of the mixed reviews concerning the H9s but bought them anyway because I wanted wireless headphones for work. I'd say that my experience is consistent with the mixed feelings that others note with the H9s.

Here's a summary, but please let me know if you have other questions.

H9 VS PX - NOISE CANCELLATION & ISOLATION

• The noise cancellation on the H9s is adequate. It's not great, but it's not bad either. From my understanding, noise cancellation is meant to remove low-level, constant sounds such as those from air conditioning systems or jet engines. The H9s perform this function just fine. If you wear them on a plane and remove them to talk to someone, it's immediately apparent how much noise they cancel. I understand that the Sony and Bose units remove even more noise, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice sound quality for this or put up with the painful vacuum created by the Bose NC.
  • I wasn't able to notice a degradation in sound quality on the H9s when using noise cancellation. They sounded very similar with it on or off.
  • I have yet to test the PXs on a plane, but I'd say that the Office mode on the PXs is very similar to the NC on the H9s. Both do a good job of canceling HVAC background noise in our office. It will be interesting to test the other modes the next time I take a flight.
  • I like that B&W gives you 3 NC options in the app whereas the H9s only have on/off.
  • I used to think that the H9s had a good seal, but my assessment changed after using the PXs. The seal on the H9s is good, but not great. The earpads are incredibly comfortable, but the round opening doesn't envelop my ear completely like the ovular design of the PXs. The H9s enclose the top of my ear, but the bottom of the ear cup rests on top of the bottom of my ear, not below it. They isolate me well enough, but I can hear more background conversation noise than I can with the PXs.
  • I don't wear glasses, so I can't speak to the seal or lack thereof when wearing glasses with the PXs.
H9 VS PX - OTHER THOUGHTS
  • Without a doubt, the H9s are more comfortable. There was never a moment in which the H9s caused discomfort. Even though the PXs have gotten much more comfortable, they'll never achieve the comfort levels of the H9s. I can forget that I'm wearing the H9s because they feel like pillows! If comfort is your top priority, get the H9s and forget everything else. You'll be happy enough with them. Otherwise, get the PXs.
  • There is nothing wrong the H9s. I used them for a year and was happy with the sound quality. It just didn't wow me and make me want to explore my music in the same way the the PXs and P7s did.
  • The mids and highs sound clear and vibrant on the H9s. I especially enjoy vocals with these headphones. Mids and highs sound just as good on the PXs though.
  • The bass on the H9s isn't as good as it should be for $500 headphones. It's not defined well enough. Some songs will have a strong rumble or thumping with the H9s, but I can't define the instrument or bass source like I can with the PXs.
  • Battery life is twice as good on the PXs. The H9s have a replaceable battery, which is nice. Charging the PXs takes 1-2 hours while charging the H9s takes 3 hours.
  • Only 1 device can be paired at a time with the H9s while the PXs allow 2 simultaneous connections. Switching between devices is a pain on the H9s.
  • I hate the touch controls on the H9s. Tapping the right ear cup to play/pause is fine, but I accidentally tap these controls frequently. If I put the headphones around my neck while talking to someone, very often the headphones think that I've tapped them and the music starts to play. Also, I've called several people accidentally because brushing the right ear cup when the music app is not in use will redial the last person with whom you spoke. How is this useful?! Also, drawing a circle, ala the original iPod, in order to change volume is ridiculous. I ended up using my phone to change volume with the H9s. While not as cool, I much prefer the physical buttons on the PXs.
  • Quality and construction of both headphones are top notch. Both use metal and leather and should last a long time.
  • When I first heard about the PXs, I expected them to cost $499, like the H9s. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they were $399. I was frustrated to pay $499 for the H9s, but did so because I couldn't find anything else that was wireless, comfortable, and had good sound quality. The PXs really make the H9s seem overpriced.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,614 of 2,912
Happy to help here. For context, I bought the H9s a year ago after returning the P7 Wireless headphones due to the discomfort issues that I mentioned. The H9s were my second choice because there wasn't anything else available that offered both sound quality and top-notch construction. I read all of the mixed reviews concerning the H9s but bought them anyway because I wanted wireless headphones for work. I'd say that my experience is consistent with the mixed feelings that others note with the H9s.

Here's a summary, but please let me know if you have other questions.

H9 VS PX - NOISE CANCELLATION & ISOLATION

• The noise cancellation on the H9s is adequate. It's not great, but it's not bad either. From my understanding, noise cancellation is meant to remove low-level, constant sounds such as those from air conditioning systems or jet engines. The H9s perform this function just fine. If you wear them on a plane and remove them to talk to someone, it's immediately apparent how much noise they cancel. I understand that the Sony and Bose units remove even more noise, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice sound quality for this or put up with the painful vacuum created by the Bose NC.
  • I wasn't able to notice a degradation in sound quality on the H9s when using noise cancellation. They sounded very similar with it on or off.
  • I have yet to test the PXs on a plane, but I'd say that the Office mode on the PXs is very similar to the NC on the H9s. Both do a good job of canceling HVAC background noise in our office. It will be interesting to test the other modes the next time I take a flight.
  • I like that B&W gives you 3 NC options in the app whereas the H9s only have on/off.
  • I used to think that the H9s had a good seal, but my assessment changed after using the PXs. The seal on the H9s is good, but not great. The earpads are incredibly comfortable, but the round opening doesn't envelop my ear completely like the ovular design of the PXs. The H9s enclose the top of my ear, but the bottom of the ear cup rests on top of the bottom of my ear, not below it. They isolate me well enough, but I can hear more background conversation noise than I can with the PXs.
  • I don't wear glasses, so I can't speak to the seal or lack thereof when wearing glasses with the PXs.
H9 VS PX - OTHER THOUGHTS
  • Without a doubt, the H9s are more comfortable. There was never a moment in which the H9s caused discomfort. Even though the PXs have gotten much more comfortable, they'll never achieve the comfort levels of the H9s. I can forget that I'm wearing the H9s because they feel like pillows! If comfort is your top priority, get the H9s and forget everything else. You'll be happy enough with them. Otherwise, get the PXs.
  • There is nothing wrong the H9s. I used them for a year and was happy with the sound quality. It just didn't wow me and make me want to explore my music in the same way the the PXs and P7s did.
  • The mids and highs sound clear and vibrant on the H9s. I especially enjoy vocals with these headphones. Mids and highs sound just as good on the PXs though.
  • The bass on the H9s isn't as good as it should be for $500 headphones. It's not defined well enough. Some songs will have a strong rumble or thumping with the H9s, but I can't define the instrument or bass source like I can with the PXs.
  • Battery life is twice as good on the PXs. The H9s have a replaceable battery, which is nice. Charging the PXs takes 1-2 hours while charging the H9s takes 3 hours.
  • Only 1 device can be paired at a time with the H9s while the PXs allow 2 simultaneous connections. Switching between devices is a pain on the H9s.
  • I hate the touch controls on the H9s. Tapping the right ear cup to play/pause is fine, but I accidentally tap these controls frequently. If I put the headphones around my neck while talking to someone, very often the headphones think that I've tapped them and the music starts to play. Also, I've called several people accidentally because brushing the right ear cup when the music app is not in use will redial the last person with whom you spoke. How is this useful?! Also, drawing a circle, ala the original iPod, in order to change volume is ridiculous. I ended up using my phone to change volume with the H9s. While not as cool, I much prefer the physical buttons on the PXs.
  • Quality and construction of both headphones are top notch. Both use metal and leather and should last a long time.
  • When I first heard about the PXs, I expected them to cost $499, like the H9s. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they were $399. I was frustrated to pay $499 for the H9s, but did so because I couldn't find anything else that was wireless, comfortable, and had good sound quality. The PXs really make the H9s seem overpriced.

wow, thanks, this was... complete. i was expecting two sentences, and i would have been happy about it. now im happier 8).

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #1,615 of 2,912
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,616 of 2,912
Hi. Have read trough the whole tread earlier. But can't find what I'm looking for now. Bought the PX today. The guy in the shop told me to upgrade the firmware. And he told me to use the USB and program form the PC in stead of the Bluetooth way Because this would take much longer time. So i did ... Connected to the iMac and run the update. Got an error in the end. But the right firmware version was showing. But after that the headphones were dead! Can get a green light, and a light blue/whiteish light. But no functionality! Cant connect to any devices, and not to any of the apps! Did anyone fin a solution for this? Tried the reset button.

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #1,617 of 2,912
Thanks a lot for your kind answers, I already ordered a Lightning to USB 3.0 camera connector (powered versión) I hope to receive it by next tuesday.

I will try it to connect the PX wired through USB to my iPhone and let you know about it.

Thanks again.

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #1,618 of 2,912
Hey guys,

I’ve been following this thread for a while and decided to pull the trigger on the PX’s, so thanks to everyone who posts here!

I tried the P7W’s about a year ago and decided they weren’t for me, mostly based on comfort and fit issues (i.e. pressure on the top of my head from the headband), but really loved them and was sad it didn’t work out. Even though people on here have been saying that the PX’s haven’t dramatically changed the comfort level compared to the P7W’s, I thought I’d give them a try myself because I loved the P7W’s so much.

With the PX’s, I still get the same “sore spot” on the top of my head after 30 minutes or so, which I think I can suck up and get used to. However, one thing that I was hoping people here could weigh in on is this: Do the PX’s fall forward on your head when you look down? Since I’m using these on the go during my commute and at the office, it’s happening a lot and I don’t remember this happening at all with the P7W. Perhaps the clamping force was tighter on the P7W and prevented this from happening.

Here are some scenarios that I experienced in a single day which caused the headband to move forward to the point where I had to readjust the headband position for fear of them falling off my head:
  • Looking down to watch my feet while descending a flight of stairs
  • Looking down at my desk while writing
  • Looking down to open a bottom desk drawer
  • Looking down to throw something in a waste bin
  • Looking down to find the zipper on my coat and zip it up
  • Sneezing
Am I being too picky here or are others experiencing this too?

Thanks so much!!

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,619 of 2,912
Hey guys,

I’ve been following this thread for a while and decided to pull the trigger on the PX’s, so thanks to everyone who posts here!

I tried the P7W’s about a year ago and decided they weren’t for me, mostly based on comfort and fit issues (i.e. pressure on the top of my head from the headband), but really loved them and was sad it didn’t work out. Even though people on here have been saying that the PX’s haven’t dramatically changed the comfort level compared to the P7W’s, I thought I’d give them a try myself because I loved the P7W’s so much.

With the PX’s, I still get the same “sore spot” on the top of my head after 30 minutes or so, which I think I can suck up and get used to. However, one thing that I was hoping people here could weigh in on is this: Do the PX’s fall forward on your head when you look down? Since I’m using these on the go during my commute and at the office, it’s happening a lot and I don’t remember this happening at all with the P7W. Perhaps the clamping force was tighter on the P7W and prevented this from happening.

Here are some scenarios that I experienced in a single day which caused the headband to move forward to the point where I had to readjust the headband position for fear of them falling off my head:
  • Looking down to watch my feet while descending a flight of stairs
  • Looking down at my desk while writing
  • Looking down to open a bottom desk drawer
  • Looking down to throw something in a waste bin
  • Looking down to find the zipper on my coat and zip it up
  • Sneezing
Am I being too picky here or are others experiencing this too?

Thanks so much!!

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,620 of 2,912
I get the same thing with the PX. In all fairness, however, I do get the same thing with the B&Os, and Sony's as well. The P7's don't tend to do it as much with me, but a little. The PX is by far the most noticeable and concerning for me. As I mentioned before I have a pretty small head.

I am currently comparing side by side a pair of P7W and PX. I so want to fall in love with the PX (I think mainly because they are the newer of the two and cost the exact same). Every time I switch between the two I say to myself about the P7W "Man I love these!" I am really appreciating the tightness and neutralness of the PX sound, but whenever I listen to the P7W I just can't help but feel more engaged in my music. Im still giving it some time as I have listened to the P7W more then the PX so I want to let the PX burn in a little bit more. They sound phenomenal, don't get me wrong, just something about those P7's! I also can't get past the fact that when I have the PX's on I feel like I literally have little cups over my ears, rather than cushions. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back