Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Dec 29, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #1,561 of 2,912
The hissing you were hearing is the fault of your PC. You will hear it with any headphones, but it is slightly amplified with the PX. It's caused by poor grounding in your computer. If you plug into the aux of another device (phone, iPod) you won't hear it.
Yes, but seeing how a) I need to use it with my computer, and b) this doesn’t happen with any other headphones, it’s not really an answer. The amplification is not “slight” to any degree!

Plus, it also happens with my MIDI keyboard, which has no ground plug and thus can’t be fixed.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #1,562 of 2,912
Yes, but seeing how a) I need to use it with my computer, and b) this doesn’t happen with any other headphones, it’s not really an answer. The amplification is not “slight” to any degree!

Plus, it also happens with my MIDI keyboard, which has no ground plug and thus can’t be fixed.

I'd be surprised if other headphones didn't produce a similar static effect. It could be that their cables are better insinuated. I notice the same thing on my HD598s and Momentum 2.0s, but it's less apparent, and goes away when the volume is increased. Again, this is only on my tower. It doesn't occur on my Surface Pro, Galaxy S6, or S7. I've read that there are cables you can buy that are more resilient to errant current, however using a different port on my PC corrects the issue for me.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,564 of 2,912
I think at least in theory the version of Bluetooth in the 5S (4.0, I believe) vs what it's in the iPad Pro 12.9 (probably 4.2 or at least 4.1) could have some impact on the quality since later versions of Bluetooth support faster speeds and that might cause iOS to use a higher bitrate for AAC when transmitting.
What faster speeds are you talking about? Frankly there is very little difference between 4.0 and on ,till 5.0. which is a big step finally. AAC is a codec and it's max rate 256kbps bandwidth is not challenging at all via BT for a long time now and it works the same in any BT version that supports it.

Dec 30, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #1,565 of 2,912
Regarding The hiss, I read here that some head-fiers are using PX with dragonfly. Mine with Dragonfly RED sound terrible, enormous floor noise sound like a broken jack. Ithink there is a problem with amplification here.

Is anyone using PX with Dragonfly here with listenable results?

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #1,568 of 2,912
I own a Dragonfly Red, à Meridian Explorer 2 and an LG V30 phone. The Dragonfly sounds great musically but has an awful static. The Meridian Explorer 2 also has a noise floor, but way way less than the Dragonfly Red. The LG V30 is completely silent... But is not a USB DAC...

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #1,570 of 2,912
I have an iPhone X and Macbook Air with Dragonfly and zero hiss, I mean zero.

Dec 31, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #1,572 of 2,912
Black. Also no hiss without Dragonfly if that helps. I listen wireless mostly though as I have the P9's too for wired.

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #1,575 of 2,912
I know as well that the hiss comes from the PX in wired mode.
- my Dragonfly red connected to my P7’s make a sweet sweet sound with an inky black backround... so no noise
- my Dragonfly red connected to my PX’s are terrible because that inky black backround is replaced by static and noise on both my space grey PX’s and my wife’s blue and gold PX’s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back