Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 9, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #1,006 of 2,912
When using in wired only mode with ANC and wear sensor off, shouldn't the headphones automatically power off after I stop listening to anything? I leave the cable in the headphones but remove it from the source. However I notice the blue light flashing continues indefinitely until I power them off myself, resulting in unnecessary battery drain. Any reason why this is? I thought it's supposed to turn off after 2 minutes.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #1,007 of 2,912
Nov 9, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,008 of 2,912
Sorry if this has been discussed (I can't find it clearly), but is there any sort of volume control when using a 3.5mm cable? Also, is it TRS or TRRS? I'm thinking about them running directly into an XB1 controller.
There is no volume control when used wired with the 3.5 mm cable, you need to set volume on the source. The connector is a three-pole 3.5 mm connector, so TRS. You don't have access to the microphone when using it with the 3.5 mm cable. If you want to use it as a headset with the microphone you need to use it wireless via BT.
You should be able to use an aftermarket TRRS cable with volume control and mic, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Replacement-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00K36XWG0/

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #1,009 of 2,912
I picked up the PX's this morning from my local best buy who did not have them on the shelf but you could order them for pickup...go figure.

After burning them in for a few hours, I couldn't wait any longer and popped them on for a test run on some personal favorites.
I read through most of this thread. So I am connected via bluetooth to my iphone 7+ with anc off hoping for the best results.

I hate to say it but my experience resembles a few other peoples here that they sound kind of muddy and off. It's hard to place really. It's almost shocking how mediocre they sound.
Boxed in would be a good word for it I guess.

I had the P7W previously but had to return them due to the mid bass bump and overall extension of bass that I felt was unnatural and not enjoyable at all.

I guess I will continue to try and burn them in overnight and hope that some positive changes occur.
Although I am not really a fan of the idea of 'burn in' I am willing to give it a go because so many people mentioned the sound changing.

I am not sure if these had been sitting at best buy this whole time or if they recently received them and had them available.
Also hoping maybe the firmware update will be positive?

Either way I have 15 days to make a decision one way or the other right now the decision would be easy to send them back.

It's really confusing the differing opinions on these, I thought for sure I would put them on and love them right away after hearing the descriptions of the majority of people here.
Leads me to believe there may be some production issues?

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,011 of 2,912
I picked up the PX's this morning from my local best buy who did not have them on the shelf but you could order them for pickup...go figure.

After burning them in for a few hours, I couldn't wait any longer and popped them on for a test run on some personal favorites.
I read through most of this thread. So I am connected via bluetooth to my iphone 7+ with anc off hoping for the best results.

I hate to say it but my experience resembles a few other peoples here that they sound kind of muddy and off. It's hard to place really. It's almost shocking how mediocre they sound.

I had the P7W previously but had to return them due to the mid bass bump and overall extension of bass that I felt was unnatural and not enjoyable at all.

I guess I will continue to try and burn them in overnight and hope that some positive changes occur.
Although I am not really a fan of the idea of 'burn in' I am willing to give it a go because so many people mentioned the sound changing.

I am not sure if these had been sitting at best buy this whole time or if they recently received them and had them available.

Either way I have 15 days to make a decision one way or the other right now the decision would be easy to send them back.

It's really confusing the differing opinions on these, I thought for sure I would put them on and love them right away after hearing the descriptions of the majority of people here.
I have the sony 1000 nc headphones and I found the bluetooth codec you use has a big say in audio quality. When I went from Aptx which is a low bitrate codec to using ldac and using 24bit flac files the whole audio quality was night and day. I have the PX on order to so I suspect to get the best wireless quality one needs to use APTXHD if the logic of what happens with my sony's carries over.

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,012 of 2,912
I received my pair on Tuesday, and have had two full days with them, clocking in between 8-10 hours of listening primarily over Bluetooth (to my Galaxy S7 Exynox) with ANC off. I'm definitely no audiophile, but I have a few thoughts mostly about functionality and a bit about sound.

Before I get into it, I'll say that I picked these up for a few primary reasons: their good looking build quality, their reported excellent sound quality, and their optional ANC.

I'll start with functionality first, divided into Pros and Cons:

Pros:

- They are absolutely gorgeous to hold and feel like they are built very well. I think what lends to this is the lack of moving parts. The earcups swivel, and you can adjust the arms, but that's it. I really think the lack of folding (which I originally felt was a drawback) lends to their sturdiness.
- I personally loved the rigidness of the padding right off the bat, but did get some discomfort around the ears. They are definitely improving comfort-wise and as for the strap over head, I haven't personally had any warmth or discomfort. I wear glasses with thicker arms around the ears and this hasn't been a problem.
- I was looking for BT ANC headphones when I picked these up, and specifically headphones that could toggle the ANC on or off over BT. The passive noise cancelling is so good that I haven't actually tested the ANC because I haven't needed it.
- For battery, due to not needing ANC on, I'm at around 50% after 2 full days. Getting 4-5 days of battery from a charge with normal use is more than enough for me
- I have had quite a few BT issues with past headphones. My last pair was the Momentum 2.0 wireless which I'd constantly get signal interruptions walking to and from the subway, and while walking my dog. These fair much better. BT Interuptions are now the exception rather than the rule (which was the case with the M2s). The same condo towers and busy intersections that gave me issues before are no longer problematic. I still get a hick-up every now and then (even when stationary) but I think it's due to my phone.
- I didn't really care about the "Smart" controls that were touted as a feature, and I read about how they hadn't worked very well for most. This has been my biggest surprise as I find that it works really well. It's so nice to take off the headphones at work to get a coffee or go to the bathroom, have my music pause instantly, and then pick up again as soon as I put them back on. The only hiccup I've had was this morning when I took them off after arriving at work, the music didn't pause. Otherwise, I absolutely love the "Smart" Features.

Cons (in no particular order):
- I really wish I could listen passively via aux, without battery. Given that I will only be charging maybe three times every two weeks, I can see the battery lasting a while before it no longer holds a charge, but it's still a con in my eyes.
- The App takes a long time to connect to my headphones. I don't need to adjust the ANC or "Smart" features that often so it's not a big deal
- The case doesn't look as nice as the P7's. Admitedly, I haven't seen the P7 case in person, but I find the PX case seems a bit cheap and not very protective.
- I wish the supplied aux cord had a mic

Now, on to sound:

Again, I'm no audiophile. As for my tastes in sound, I LOVED the way the Momentum M2s sounded. I've heard them described as warm, and I couldn't put it better. As I mentioned, I've listened to the PXs for about 10 hours of my regular music. No other "burn in" procedures.

Mostly been rotating through the following artists and albums:
- Norah Jones - Discography (320kbps MP3 and FLAC)
- The Weeknd - Starboy (Flac)
- Tyler, The Creator - SF;FB (Flac)
- Jay-Z - 4:44
- Lorde - Pure Heroine (Flac) and Melodrama (320kbps mp3)
- Adele - 21 (320kbps mp3)
- Various K-Pop (Blackpink, Twice, Mamamoo at 320kbps)

Overall, I've really enjoyed the headphones. So far, I enjoyed the sound of the Momentum M2 Wireless more but that is shifting in the PX's favour.

To start, the bass isn't quite where I want it to be (I'm guessing this is due to the more open soundstage) but it sounds great for most of what I listen to. The Highest of highs are great (bells, symbols and the rattling of snares sound great) but when the mid-highs get loud, I feel like things sort of get muddled and fall apart. I noticed this most of all with the K-Pop and Adele.

I'm not sure if this has to do with not burning them in, but I'd love to get further feedback if you have any tips on getting the best sound out of these.

Overall, very happy with my purchase so far.

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,013 of 2,912
Can anyone confirm whether or not the ones being sold the last few days has a newer software? I’m receiving a copy from Audio sanctuary today, so hopefully these will be without any problems.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #1,016 of 2,912

it might take a while. I would suggest that keep them running for 62 hours straight with pink noise at max volume. see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back