Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 8, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #976 of 2,912
When you are looking for a bass heavy headphone like Beats Audio but more hifi, the P7W is possibly your choice.

Well, I wouldn't call P7W as a bass heavy headphone like Beats Audio. I completely agree Tyll Hertsens from InnerFidelity who call this as "warm and lively character" and "very mildly V shaped" (@7:35):

But I got your point, PX does not have P7W like character which is sad for me. I still find edsjo's above response on EQ usage with PX promising. He didn't mention any sound distortion with EQ usage which I had even with very minor low frequency boosts with Sony 1000X.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #977 of 2,912
I still find edsjo's above response on EQ usage with PX promising
My source is an iPhone 7, app is KaiserTone (best sounding app on iOS) and on the picture below you see my EQ settings for the P7W. So no Beats but too much bass for my taste :)

IMG_2511.PNG

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #978 of 2,912
Just got word form B&W. The firmware update will appear in the app early next week.

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #980 of 2,912
My source is an iPhone 7, app is KaiserTone (best sounding app on iOS) and on the picture below you see my EQ settings for the P7W. So no Beats but too much bass for my taste :)
So why do you use an EQ that gives too much bass for your taste :gs1000smile: TBH I've never used EQ on P7W since its pure character is the best for me. But I checked its bass EQ capability, there was a distortion level, but it was high enough to bother. If it is the same case for PX, then it's perfect for me.

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #981 of 2,912
To clarify something ... Spotify Extreme = 320kbps = Tidal Standard. In addition to this, Spotify is known to cap streams whenever they have bandwith issues .. So Spotify Extreme = 320kbps maximum whereas Tidal Standard = 320kbps guaranteed. On the other side of the spectrum there is Tidal Hifi = CD quality = Has no Spotify equivalent.

I did know about the data rates, but not that Spotify caps streams when there are bandwidth issues. Anyway, I have now downloaded the track with Spotify set to download in Extreme mode. I presume I then get 320 kbps version. Anyway, what I tried to say was that I usually find it very hard to hear any difference between Spotify Extreme and Tidal Hifi. I know there is a difference on the kbps, but I don't hear it and I doubt I would be able to tell them apart in a blind test. However, on this particular track, No one, by Alicia Keys, there is a clear audible difference between Spotify Extreme and Tidal HiFi. It is so big I wonder if there is something wrong with the Spotify version. The Spotify version is more muffled and the vocals are thinner, it sounds much less than 320 kbps even if I should now have it downloaded with that data rate.

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #982 of 2,912
My PXs just arrived today and I've been listening to them for maybe an hour. I picked up a pair of wireless Momentums in September, but eventually returned them because I really wanted something I could listen to wireless with or without ANC. That being said, I loved the way they sounded. I loved the warm sound signature. I found them to be pretty hit and miss with BT, but I wasn't entirely sure if I was expecting too much or if the headphones had a sub-par BT radio.

I'm still waiting for the PXs to open up a bit, but they seem to have the same spotty BT when on the move. I took my dog for a walk for about 25 minutes and had regular pops of disconnectivity which really break the immersion. Since this is the second headset I've had that issue with, I'm thinking that I might have my expectations set too high, or that the source (Galaxy S7 Exynos) might be the issue.

I'll comment back once I've broken in the PXs, but I will say that the PXs seem better built than the Momentums. I think I'll miss having the foldability of the Momentums, but these seem more durable with solid arms with fewer moving/bending parts.
I am gonna definitely say its your device. Bluetooth on the S8 and Note 8 is much more improved than the a S7 I find. I've used all three.
Did they tell you what will change or be improved with the new firmware? Thanks for the news, anyway
Not sure what could possibly be improved with firmware other than the auto on-function. We'll see!

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #983 of 2,912
Well, I wouldn't call P7W as a bass heavy headphone like Beats Audio. I completely agree Tyll Hertsens from InnerFidelity who call this as "warm and lively character" and "very mildly V shaped" (@7:35):

But I got your point, PX does not have P7W like character which is sad for me. I still find edsjo's above response on EQ usage with PX promising. He didn't mention any sound distortion with EQ usage which I had even with very minor low frequency boosts with Sony 1000X.

Like I said, I usually don't EQ, and I just tried it with the Spotify app to test if I could boost the bass as asked. In fact, if I move up the bass to the top, there certainly is distortion. However, this happens even if I listen to very low volumes so I don't think it is the PX that distorts, more the EQ in Spotify that is crap.

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #985 of 2,912
Did they tell you what will change or be improved with the new firmware? Thanks for the news, anyway

As far as I can tell the only improvements are concerning Bluetooth connectivity with certain devices. But I guess we'll see that when it lands :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #986 of 2,912
Thanks for the input. After I started getting issues with the PX, I was afraid that might be the case.

Have you tried the Oreo beta for the S8? Have you noticed any improvements to BT reliability?
No. Changing nougat to oreo won't improve bluetooth connectivity. That would require hardware. S8 and note 8 are bluetooth 5.0 now, maybe that made a difference.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #987 of 2,912
No. Changing nougat to oreo won't improve bluetooth connectivity. That would require hardware. S8 and note 8 are bluetooth 5.0 now, maybe that made a difference.

Not sure if I agree. Yes, Bluetooth Aptx requires Aptx compliant hardware.. But Aptx HD is just a codec upgrade from Aptx to Aptx HD... The patches on Xda developers demonstrate that...

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #988 of 2,912
Not sure if I agree. Yes, Bluetooth Aptx requires Aptx compliant hardware.. But Aptx HD is just a codec upgrade from Aptx to Aptx HD... The patches on Xda developers demonstrate that...
Oh really? Hmmm I don't even know what aptx I'm using on the note 8. I have a variety of bluetooth devices and they all worked better with the S8 and note 8 over the S7 and below. Can't comment on Apple products.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #989 of 2,912
Nov 8, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #990 of 2,912

Users who are viewing this thread

Back