Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 6, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #946 of 2,912
So my work threw some QC35s at me for free.99 today. I'd say I'm glad I have them! The QC35 is a fun compliment to the PX. It's got a VERY different tuning (way more bass/treble emphasis, mids feel pulled out). The QC35 really does take the ANC to another level, which is nice in the office. They also have better SQ when the ANC is on but the PX absolutely has the better music when ANC is off. Now, music will drown out the office for sure but being able to put a little silent chamber on your head is quite nice. If I could have just one, I'd still choose the PX.

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #947 of 2,912
Well it seems like all HPs are on a trend to "neutrality" including B&W, which I don't personally like for fun listening ... also there's big push to "hi def" music which I don't trust. Once you start getting above CD quality I think you're in the wild west (upsampled, equipment that can't resolve, etc) which includes "masters", 90% of which I don't trust as the actual master.

So if you wanna keep it simple and fun, P7w wired from a Mojo or wireless AptX, driving Tidal is about 95% IMO. I'll see how the Th-x00's are (as they're supposed to be "fun" too) and of course you can jump up to, say, Atticus' in the $1000 price range, but now you're talking the right dac/amp to bring out the best.

As for the PXs, I haven't gotten them because they look smaller than the P7Ws and from reviews here are sounding neutral ... also I don't like that you can't go passive. If the TH-x00 are a bust I'll try them, though.

I just flew with the P7Ws this weekend and, as usual, despite little kids sitting all around me, I only heard my movie : )

I don’t know your preferences obviously, but the TH-X00 are killer. On the “fun” side of neutral and very comfortable. The only downside is the vacuum cleaner cord.

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #948 of 2,912
I don’t know your preferences obviously, but the TH-X00 are killer. On the “fun” side of neutral and very comfortable. The only downside is the vacuum cleaner cord.

I'm super hopeful they're a fun wow ...

I'm curious if anyone with the PX has a mojo and tidal hifi - right now I'm listening to Alicia Keys' As I Am album, and Superwoman has some stunning soaring vocals on the P7W via mojo, and No One has this huge sub-bass / bass line along with crystal clear crazy vocals, no mud or bloom. Call me a basshead, but I love the sound.

I'm curious what those songs sound like on the PX if anyone has the Mojo and listens wired.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #949 of 2,912
I'm super hopeful they're a fun wow ...

I'm curious if anyone with the PX has a mojo and tidal hifi - right now I'm listening to Alicia Keys' As I Am album, and Superwoman has some stunning soaring vocals on the P7W via mojo, and No One has this huge sub-bass / bass line along with crystal clear crazy vocals, no mud or bloom. Call me a basshead, but I love the sound.

I'm curious what those songs sound like on the PX if anyone has the Mojo and listens wired.

Can't vouch for the Mojo, but I have a similar experience with the PX connected via Dragonfly Red and Moon Audio Black Dragon cable..

On No One there's also good clarity on chorus, keyboards and guitars

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #950 of 2,912
Is it just me or do the PXs sound a little "boxy"? This is after 20 hours of pink noise as well as about 5 days of music listening for a couple of hours each day.

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #951 of 2,912
Is it just me or do the PXs sound a little "boxy"? This is after 20 hours of pink noise as well as about 5 days of music listening for a couple of hours each day.

To a certain extent that's the nature of closed headphones. IME all closed HPs sound a bit boxy, it's just that some sound less boxy than others. I spend most of my listening time with closed HPs and have learned to ignore any boxy-ness, but when I listen closely they all exhibit it to some degree.

That said I've yet to hear the PX - still waiting for it to come into stock, but given B&Ws track record I doubt that they'll be significantly more boxy than their predecessors.

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #953 of 2,912
To a certain extent that's the nature of closed headphones. IME all closed HPs sound a bit boxy, it's just that some sound less boxy than others. I spend most of my listening time with closed HPs and have learned to ignore any boxy-ness, but when I listen closely they all exhibit it to some degree.

That said I've yet to hear the PX - still waiting for it to come into stock, but given B&Ws track record I doubt that they'll be significantly more boxy than their predecessors.

What's your source?

I'm comparing them to my previous P7s which are also closed. Same source, which is my laptop via 3.5mm cable, listening to FLACs or at least 320k mp3s. By boxy I just mean it sort of has this hollowish sound. Maybe it's just the different sound signature?

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #954 of 2,912
Can't say I find them hollow at all, and as a previous owner of P7 and P7W I'm well familiar with their signatures. I find them more balanced than those, but definitely not lacking in weight. That said the sound does take a noticeable dip in dynamics the more aggressive the ANC mode used. For me Office is perfect when needed.

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #955 of 2,912
I guess I'm using the wrong word. The weight is there but it just seems like there is some emphasis around the mids. Like imagine your voice talking through a tube. It has that kinda resonance.

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #956 of 2,912
I'm comparing them to my previous P7s which are also closed. Same source, which is my laptop via 3.5mm cable, listening to FLACs or at least 320k mp3s. By boxy I just mean it sort of has this hollowish sound. Maybe it's just the different sound signature?
I tried the PX in store with two sources: iPhone 7 (AAC bluetooth) and A&K AK70 (aptX HD bluetooth). The iPhone was more vivid and live. So the source can make a difference.

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #957 of 2,912
Hi
Long time lurker but first time poster. I just managed to find a pair of these in stock (yay) My main use for these will be with my commute however when Im at home I want to get the best out of them through wired use to see what they can do. Would you recommend getting a Dragonfly DAC for my Macbook Pro to really notice the difference or will the built in one be enough? Ive wanted a DF for a while but dont want to waste my money if theres not much of an upgrade for these. Cheers :)

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #958 of 2,912
Hi
Long time lurker but first time poster. I just managed to find a pair of these in stock (yay) My main use for these will be with my commute however when Im at home I want to get the best out of them through wired use to see what they can do. Would you recommend getting a Dragonfly DAC for my Macbook Pro to really notice the difference or will the built in one be enough? Ive wanted a DF for a while but dont want to waste my money if theres not much of an upgrade for these. Cheers :)

If your main use-case is portable wireless, I'd spend your money getting an AptX-HD source phone.

As to the DFB/R ... I heavily considered it because it's popular and easy, but I'm also a big believer in A/B testing ... forgetting your source for the moment ( a 16/44 flac or CD? Tidal? Spotify? Audirvana?) can you go to a store or borrow a DFB/R and blind A/B it (i.e., have a buddy switch inputs back and forth and you guess which is which)?

My guess is, if you did, you wouldn't be able to guess right enough to justify spending the money on the DFb/r, which means the answer to your question is no.

If you're looking for a MBP solution I'd be much more inclined to get a Schiit Fulla assuming you won't be using the DF portable. If your MBP has optical out in the headphone jack (many do), then you might want to get a better desktop solution like a Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 3 ($198), or even jump up to the multi-bit version of the dac with optical input and same amp ($348). If you want to stay portable and have the budget, then maybe Chord Mojo which can use your MBP's optical out.

I can hear the difference in blind testing between the mojo and my P7Ws, but not so much with a Dragonfly. So unless the PX is way WAY better than the P7s, I'd say your MBP's headphone jack will give you a good enough sense unless you're planning climbing up the audiophile stack.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #959 of 2,912
Anyone heard this vs Momentum Wireless? Thoughts?

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #960 of 2,912
I tried the PX in store with two sources: iPhone 7 (AAC bluetooth) and A&K AK70 (aptX HD bluetooth). The iPhone was more vivid and live. So the source can make a difference.
I always found Bluetooth on the AK70 very fragile - I now have the Mk 2 and it is noticeably superior with the PX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back