Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 7, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #961 of 2,912
I'm super hopeful they're a fun wow ...

I'm curious if anyone with the PX has a mojo and tidal hifi - right now I'm listening to Alicia Keys' As I Am album, and Superwoman has some stunning soaring vocals on the P7W via mojo, and No One has this huge sub-bass / bass line along with crystal clear crazy vocals, no mud or bloom. Call me a basshead, but I love the sound.

I'm curious what those songs sound like on the PX if anyone has the Mojo and listens wired.
I have now listened to Superwoman and No One from Tidal Hifi via my Chord Mojo (connected to my MacBook Pro, exclusive mode in Tidal) connected wired to my P7W and my PX (ANC off). I am no expert in describing the sound, but these are my thoughts:

No One: the bass thump is clearly more present on the P7W than on the PX. The overall presentation is smooth, the vocals are nice, but maybe a bit thin (compared to the bass thump). On the PX, it sounds slightly more boxy, the bass is weaker, but more tight (I think). The sound stage is bigger on the PX and the vocals sound a bit fuller. When switching between them the P7W sounds like they are missing something in the mids (I think). Overall, the P7W sound nice immediately when putting them on, but the PX sound like it is more balanced.

Superwoman: On the PX the instruments in the beginning with the organ (?) are very well separated and the vocals come in nicely. On the P7W, the instruments in the beginning are harder to separate. The vocals are nice, but feel a bit thinner. At 1:12 when more instruments and bass come in, the PX separates them better, but the bass is stronger on the P7W.

I don't know exactly how to describe this, but my main impression is that when switching between them the P7W sound more bass heavy and smooth, but missing some parts (in the mids?). Again, when switching back and forth, the PX sound more boxy, but with better instrument separation and wider sound stage and more balanced. Vocals sound a bit fuller. I also get the feeling that the slightly boxyness to the sound of the PX goes away when you listen to them for longer periods and get used to their sound, it is only when switching back and forth you notice it as much. The P7W are more inviting in a sense, but PX more revealing. The P7W sound good immediately, but the PX benefits when you give them more time. It is hard to say that one is better than the other, they are different.

Just for fun, I also compared with my Focal Elear connected to the Mojo in the same way and it is (as expected) clearly better than both. Compared to the PX the Elear have a stronger bass, even fuller vocals and a bigger soundstage without any hint of boxyness. This is of course a completely different beast of headphone being open-backed and in a different price range.

After having used the P7W for quite some time and the PX for a few weeks now I have really started to appreciate the sound of the PX as it sounds more balanced and with better instrument separation. Bass is weaker, but tight. When I put on the P7W they sound inviting, but with an exaggerated bass. I do have one problem with the PX though and that is listening fatigue. I get much more tired listening to the PX than the P7W. I don't know if it has to do with the angled drivers shooting sound directly into my ears, the dynamic drivers or the tonality. It does bother me though.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #964 of 2,912
Anyone heard this vs Momentum Wireless? Thoughts?

My PXs just arrived today and I've been listening to them for maybe an hour. I picked up a pair of wireless Momentums in September, but eventually returned them because I really wanted something I could listen to wireless with or without ANC. That being said, I loved the way they sounded. I loved the warm sound signature. I found them to be pretty hit and miss with BT, but I wasn't entirely sure if I was expecting too much or if the headphones had a sub-par BT radio.

I'm still waiting for the PXs to open up a bit, but they seem to have the same spotty BT when on the move. I took my dog for a walk for about 25 minutes and had regular pops of disconnectivity which really break the immersion. Since this is the second headset I've had that issue with, I'm thinking that I might have my expectations set too high, or that the source (Galaxy S7 Exynos) might be the issue.

I'll comment back once I've broken in the PXs, but I will say that the PXs seem better built than the Momentums. I think I'll miss having the foldability of the Momentums, but these seem more durable with solid arms with fewer moving/bending parts.

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #965 of 2,912
If your main use-case is portable wireless, I'd spend your money getting an AptX-HD source phone.

As to the DFB/R ... I heavily considered it because it's popular and easy, but I'm also a big believer in A/B testing ... forgetting your source for the moment ( a 16/44 flac or CD? Tidal? Spotify? Audirvana?) can you go to a store or borrow a DFB/R and blind A/B it (i.e., have a buddy switch inputs back and forth and you guess which is which)?

My guess is, if you did, you wouldn't be able to guess right enough to justify spending the money on the DFb/r, which means the answer to your question is no.

If you're looking for a MBP solution I'd be much more inclined to get a Schiit Fulla assuming you won't be using the DF portable. If your MBP has optical out in the headphone jack (many do), then you might want to get a better desktop solution like a Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 3 ($198), or even jump up to the multi-bit version of the dac with optical input and same amp ($348). If you want to stay portable and have the budget, then maybe Chord Mojo which can use your MBP's optical out.

I can hear the difference in blind testing between the mojo and my P7Ws, but not so much with a Dragonfly. So unless the PX is way WAY better than the P7s, I'd say your MBP's headphone jack will give you a good enough sense unless you're planning climbing up the audiophile stack.

Thank you so much , thats very helpful

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #966 of 2,912
When I hear "Boxy," To me that sounds like maybe the loudest and quietest points of the dynamic range of the track might be too similar. Maybe compressed or lacking dynamic range. Lacking space. I don't get that at all with the PX, IMHO,

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #967 of 2,912
When I hear "Boxy," To me that sounds like maybe the loudest and quietest points of the dynamic range of the track might be too similar. Maybe compressed or lacking dynamic range. Lacking space. I don't get that at all with the PX, IMHO,

I referred to the PX as slightly boxy compared to the P7W. The PX are more dynamic though so at least to me I think it more has to do with a more neutral presentation (more mids?). Maybe boxy is not the right word, but I don't think it has to do with lack of dynamic range.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #968 of 2,912
Stellar write-up!! but gawd dammit now I want elears. thanks a lot :disappointed_relieved:

Don't want to thread too far off topic, but the Elears are open backed and you cannot really use them when mobile. They are bigger and heavier and leak sound. At home though, there is no contest, the Elears are in a different league. Which they of course should be, being 2-3 times more expensive. Anyway, why I compared with the Elear was to put the headphones into perspective. Both the P7W and PX are very good for mobile headsets, either when used wired or wireless, but it doesn't mean that they are the best headphones around for all usage areas. If all you do is listen at home, you could look at other options, unless you value wireless highly also at home.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #969 of 2,912
Don't want to thread too far off topic, but the Elears are open backed and you cannot really use them when mobile. They are bigger and heavier and leak sound. At home though, there is no contest, the Elears are in a different league. Which they of course should be, being 2-3 times more expensive. Anyway, why I compared with the Elear was to put the headphones into perspective. Both the P7W and PX are very good for mobile headsets, either when used wired or wireless, but it doesn't mean that they are the best headphones around for all usage areas. If all you do is listen at home, you could look at other options, unless you value wireless highly also at home.

Yeah, it's a great point and I think on-topic: The PX (I'm guessing) are a great sounding headphone, but their primary use-case is on-the-go and maybe in an office where you have a lot of background noise. Personally I don't like ANC for voices because for me ANC makes voices louder (and I extensively tested the QC35s, 1000x). If you want something for Hi-Fi in the office you'll need a good closed back and for at home a good open back. I just got a pair a HD600s and ... whoa. I was pretty nervous after the P9s and Aeon Flows failed to beat my P7Ws ... I was starting to think maybe the P7Ws ruined me, but boy the HD600s are just stellar, absolutely addicting.

So if I had the PX, but wanted better home Hi-fi I'd start by putting the $200ish into a pair of HD600s, then I'd get a simple DAC/amp for them, and keep the PX as your road & office rig ... or just your road rig.

(maybe you can PM me your comparo between the HD600s and your Elears ):wink:

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #970 of 2,912
I have now listened to Superwoman and No One from Tidal Hifi via my Chord Mojo (connected to my MacBook Pro, exclusive mode in Tidal) connected wired to my P7W and my PX (ANC off). I am no expert in describing the sound, but these are my thoughts:

No One: the bass thump is clearly more present on the P7W than on the PX. The overall presentation is smooth, the vocals are nice, but maybe a bit thin (compared to the bass thump). On the PX, it sounds slightly more boxy, the bass is weaker, but more tight (I think). The sound stage is bigger on the PX and the vocals sound a bit fuller. When switching between them the P7W sounds like they are missing something in the mids (I think). Overall, the P7W sound nice immediately when putting them on, but the PX sound like it is more balanced.

Superwoman: On the PX the instruments in the beginning with the organ (?) are very well separated and the vocals come in nicely. On the P7W, the instruments in the beginning are harder to separate. The vocals are nice, but feel a bit thinner. At 1:12 when more instruments and bass come in, the PX separates them better, but the bass is stronger on the P7W.

I don't know exactly how to describe this, but my main impression is that when switching between them the P7W sound more bass heavy and smooth, but missing some parts (in the mids?). Again, when switching back and forth, the PX sound more boxy, but with better instrument separation and wider sound stage and more balanced. Vocals sound a bit fuller. I also get the feeling that the slightly boxyness to the sound of the PX goes away when you listen to them for longer periods and get used to their sound, it is only when switching back and forth you notice it as much. The P7W are more inviting in a sense, but PX more revealing. The P7W sound good immediately, but the PX benefits when you give them more time. It is hard to say that one is better than the other, they are different.

Just for fun, I also compared with my Focal Elear connected to the Mojo in the same way and it is (as expected) clearly better than both. Compared to the PX the Elear have a stronger bass, even fuller vocals and a bigger soundstage without any hint of boxyness. This is of course a completely different beast of headphone being open-backed and in a different price range.

After having used the P7W for quite some time and the PX for a few weeks now I have really started to appreciate the sound of the PX as it sounds more balanced and with better instrument separation. Bass is weaker, but tight. When I put on the P7W they sound inviting, but with an exaggerated bass. I do have one problem with the PX though and that is listening fatigue. I get much more tired listening to the PX than the P7W. I don't know if it has to do with the angled drivers shooting sound directly into my ears, the dynamic drivers or the tonality. It does bother me though.

Great sharing Thanks a lot. As a P7W owner, I've ordered PX from amazon and it's still waiting in queue for new batch. I would love to have ANC and APTX-HD (I have LG V20 for this), but I'm not still sure about this switch since I love lovely sound of P7W and I dont want to lose it. I have a few questions which will shape my decision. I would be really happy if you an answer:

1- I love to feel bass dynamics which i can have with P7W. You described PX as more neutral vs P7X as far as I understand. Some headphones (especially ones with internal amp/dac) can hate equalizer settings. For giving just a little bit mote bass juice through equalizer settings was resulting with sound distortion with my Sony 1000x, which I had previously owned. So EQ wasn't an option at all :/ What is the situation for PX?

2- There are a lot of reports saying wired PX have a floor noise which wired P7W does not have. Can you confirm this?

3- I've also read wireless PX had lower BT floor noise (which you can notice instantaneously with play pause, or continuously with silent parts of music.) than P7W. Can you confirm this?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #971 of 2,912
Great sharing Thanks a lot. As a P7W owner, I've ordered PX from amazon and it's still waiting in queue for new batch. I would love to have ANC and APTX-HD (I have LG V20 for this), but I'm not still sure about this switch since I love lovely sound of P7W and I dont want to lose it. I have a few questions which will shape my decision. I would be really happy if you an answer:

1- I love to feel bass dynamics which i can have with P7W. You described PX as more neutral vs P7X as far as I understand. Some headphones (especially ones with internal amp/dac) can hate equalizer settings. For giving just a little bit mote bass juice through equalizer settings was resulting with sound distortion with my Sony 1000x, which I had previously owned. So EQ wasn't an option at all :/ What is the situation for PX?

2- There are a lot of reports saying wired PX have a floor noise which wired P7W does not have. Can you confirm this?

3- I've also read wireless PX had lower BT floor noise (which you can notice instantaneously with play pause, or continuously with silent parts of music.) than P7W. Can you confirm this?

1) I haven't played around much with EQ. I tried it on the Alicia Keys No One track GrussGott liked the bass on. I had to run it through Spotify in this case to get access to the EQ. To my ears it does not sound very good if I boost the bass. If you want more bass, the P7W sound better in this respect. In all honesty though, this tack sound better on Tidal Hifi than Spotify Extreme. I haven't really been able to tell the difference before, but on this track Tidal Hifi sound better. I wonder if there is something fishy with the Spotify version. If I listen to e.g. Karmacoma by Massive Attack, the PX responds much better to boosting the bass with the Spotify EQ.

2) Wired the floor noise on my PX pair is higher than P7W (which doesn't have one at all). For me the noise floor on PX when wired is a bit too high. I listen to rather low volumes though so it is not clear it is a problem for everyone.

3) Wirelessly, it is the other way around, the PX noise floor is lower than P7W. On the PX it is barely audible, but for me the P7W noise floor is too high. I would say that the PX wired noise floor is higher than the P7W noise floor wirelessly. This might depend on your source though, I connect from Mac products to my P7W and PX.

Nov 8, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #973 of 2,912
1) I haven't played around much with EQ. I tried it on the Alicia Keys No One track GrussGott liked the bass on. I had to run it through Spotify in this case to get access to the EQ. To my ears it does not sound very good if I boost the bass. If you want more bass, the P7W sound better in this respect. In all honesty though, this tack sound better on Tidal Hifi than Spotify Extreme. I haven't really been able to tell the difference before, but on this track Tidal Hifi sound better. I wonder if there is something fishy with the Spotify version. If I listen to e.g. Karmacoma by Massive Attack, the PX responds much better to boosting the bass with the Spotify EQ.

2) Wired the floor noise on my PX pair is higher than P7W (which doesn't have one at all). For me the noise floor on PX when wired is a bit too high. I listen to rather low volumes though so it is not clear it is a problem for everyone.

3) Wirelessly, it is the other way around, the PX noise floor is lower than P7W. On the PX it is barely audible, but for me the P7W noise floor is too high. I would say that the PX wired noise floor is higher than the P7W noise floor wirelessly. This might depend on your source though, I connect from Mac products to my P7W and PX.

Wow, your reply was so fast! Appreciate that!

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #974 of 2,912
You described PX as more neutral
Neutral doesn't mean boring. For me the PX is the ideal balance between fun (musical, emotion) and details (wide soundstage, instrument separation, etc). The P7W (I sold them) needs some serious tweaking with an EQ to get a good sound. But even with an EQ voices are not like the PX. The highs are cleaner on the PX too. Bass is well controlled. I realise it's a matter of personal taste. When you are looking for a bass heavy headphone like Beats Audio but more hifi, the P7W is possibly your choice. Best advice is listening :beyersmile:

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #975 of 2,912
1) In all honesty though, this tack sound better on Tidal Hifi than Spotify Extreme. I haven't really been able to tell the difference before, but on this track Tidal Hifi sound better. I wonder if there is something fishy with the Spotify version. If I listen to e.g. Karmacoma by Massive Attack, the PX responds much better to boosting the bass with the Spotify EQ.

To clarify something ... Spotify Extreme = 320kbps = Tidal Standard. In addition to this, Spotify is known to cap streams whenever they have bandwith issues .. So Spotify Extreme = 320kbps maximum whereas Tidal Standard = 320kbps guaranteed. On the other side of the spectrum there is Tidal Hifi = CD quality = Has no Spotify equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back