Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 13, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #451 of 2,912
Agreed this it's off-topic, but I think Android 8(Oreo) itself supports the aptx-HD codec via software. I thought aptx-HD required a chip, but I have a Pixel and have seen it in options, and I think someone in this thread reports it working well on the Pixel, which has a standard Qualcomm chipset. If this is so then any current flagship phone should eventually get aptx-HD.

I'm no expert but I believe every google phone since the N5 has the hardware, google just declined to pay Qualcomm the AptX licensing fee, so no AptX.

With the Pixel 2 they're paying the fee due to no headphone jack.

Oct 14, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #452 of 2,912
OK here is what my First Impression. I just got it today, so my opinion about sound quality and comfort may change.

I have recently bought QC35. I got wired P7 as well. I got numerous other headphone including PM-3, HD650, good old QC15, Focal Elear, etc.
I used MDR-1000X before, but their touch gesture system is pain in the ass, so I returned it.

I am trying to compare with P7 and 1000X, since they are main contender, but 1000X is not with me, so I won't talk about SQ of 1000X based on memory.

SQ : I definitely sense less bass than P7 and QC35. PX has about right amount of bass what I call more neutral. I do not want to say PX is completely neutral at this point, but it is closer than Wired P7 and QC 35. But do I like better than QC35? No... They are roughly similar level IMO.... but I slightly prefer QC35 at this point.
Comfort : Bose clearly wins. softer earpad, lighter weight. Though there is good part about PX. Earpad side thickness is narrower, so earpad put more pressure on contact area but it provide more area inside of earcup, consider size. Thus, ears are getting less interrupted than Bose does. Plus angle movement of PX is quite good, and clamping force is adequate. PX is heavy though. Overall I prefer PX comfort over MDR-1000X. 1000X had pretty bad comfort for me, especially bad with my glasses.
ANC : PX is probably worst among those 3 in this area. It's not PX has bad ANC performance. Truly Bad NC heaphone amplifies noise frequently. PX does not do that. It does decent ANC job. But competitors stand strong. QC35 and 1000X have impressive NC performance while PX does not. For me, ANC of PX may be considered decent, but nowhere near great, especially nowadays.
Finish : PX wins. You can see numerous screws on QC 35 while you see zero screw on PX. Bose uses synthetic leather(though I think it is more comfortable), while PX uses real leather. Not saying QC 35 has bad finish, but it definitely lacks premium feeling of PX. Even mic. I can see bose has holes all over earcups. I know we need those holes, and more holes mean more microphone built in for better NC, but at the same time, it ruins outlook IMO. PX has microphone hole top of metal portion, and it is nicely done. MDR-1000X does not premium feeling of PX as well.
ETC : PX has proximity sensor, and I admire that. If you lift your earcup, then music stops. When you put back on, music starts back. Though I would love to see function to not automatically starting music when I put headphone back on... while it turns off when I take off. It also able to turn on sensor/turn off sensor, and change voice level during ANC is ON. It always took time to communicate with headphone when I turn on app, but I can live with that. As a glass wearer, proximity sensor can be annoying as well, because when u just want to relocate headphone due to glass issue, music stops easily. Even Low setting of proximity sensor does not prevent this issue.

Overall, I think PX is not the best ANC wireless headphone. I think QC35 is the best. IMO, SQ of all 3 are quite comparable level, and it's more about personal taste issue. Though this is my first impression, so my opinion about SQ of PX can be changed. But other than SQ, Bose QC35 wins comfort and lack of glitches. Sure you can turn off proximity sensor of PX, and considering comfort of PX is not bad at all, it is still strong contender, especially with B&W branding and premium finish. I still think PX is at least good NC headphone, and it can be decent wireless headphone as well. But I think PX needs extra edge to beat QC35. I hope firmware/software update will help PX. I personally love B&W, and their premium look. I have QC30 to cover ANC intense moment such as flight travel. Better ANC performance is nice but not desperate for me. If I like SQ of PX just little more and if there is little better software, then I might choose PX over QC35... but I dunno. I only need one full size ANC headphone. At this point, my heart is saying return QC 35, but my head is saying return PX instead

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #453 of 2,912
SQ : I definitely sense less bass than P7 and QC35. PX has about right amount of bass what I call more neutral. I do not want to say PX is completely neutral at this point, but it is closer than Wired P7 and QC 35. But do I like better than QC35? No... They are roughly similar level IMO....

These are the types of posts that while appreciated truly help me to understand that we're all unique and if you've read one SQ review, you've read one.

For me,the QC35 is by FAR the worst sounding headset I've tried. Truly horrible. I could even find a single nice thing to say. It's so bad that upon trying the P7w I thought it was in a totally different universe and once burned in a bit the QC35 sounded like a tinny ear plug. I also compared against the 1000x - SQ-wise I thought the 1000x was much better although, again, not even remotely close to the P7W, not in the same league.

Of the three I went with the P7w and a year later have zero regrets and I travel with the P7w all of the time. I don't really miss ANC at all ... this is because neither the QC35 nor the 1000x really did much for me, ANC-wise. I tested them with city noise, a/c units, air purifiers, vacuums, and on an airplane. Of the two, the 1000x was slightly better, but neither gave me the "isolation booth". I'd call it more, slightly reduced background noise. Like turning a fan from medium to low - better but ... so what? The SQ on the P7Ws was so much better that I'd never trade it for ANC.

The PX have me interested although, based on reviews, I'm not guessing I'll like the ANC and the SQ sounds like it'll be equal, but different, from the P7W.

Has me wondering if I should go a different direction and get the Mr. Speakers Aeon flows ...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #454 of 2,912
I want to upgrade my Sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless. I want a new headset with more bass and if possible better ANC, but more importantly improved bass. I've been looking at B&H H9 and this headset and possibly sony wh 1000xm2, but I doubt it has better bass than momentum 2.0

I've tried both the Momentum 2, H9, and (earlier) mdr 1000x. Enjoyed bass of the H9 the most, could differentiate everything going on in the low end. But H9 are so bass heavy, especially after hearing and falling in love with the more balanced and detailed OPPO PM-3 (I know, not wireless, not noise canceling, but still had an effect on my listening preference), that I'm now looking for something closer to that. B&W PX and 1000xm2 are the only runners right now, thankfully Amazon has both so I can adequately compare

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #455 of 2,912
Hm, I played this track on my PX and my HD6XX for comparison. Doesn't feel like there is anything missing in the PX that's audible on the HD6XX. I hear the bass line (the stronger the ANC the stronger the bass), she doesn't sound in my head (that's usually on the strongest ANC settings). Also nothing sounds clipped to me or painful.

Are those fresh out of the box? What ANC Settings did you use? Also Codec? I'm playing this with Aptx HD.

Encouraging!

This headphone is really revealing. I have moments when I listen to them I think that something is "wrong" with the headphones, and I test it on my other pair of headphones and the unpleasant noise is still deep in the original recording just smoothed out (or less audible) on other headphones. It really sounds spectacular on well recorded music, but some albums really show their flaws on here.

Also encouraging, I get drawn into accurate detail. Makes me feel better about my own crap productions when I can pick warts on well respected records

having used the Oppo PM-3 extensively over the last couple years I have to say they compare VERY well. both are quite transparent, but the PX has a bit more emphasis on bass punch, and the slightest bit less bass control (expected when compared to a planar-magnetic driver).

Humor me with any more OPPO PM-3 comparisons? That's my (and my GFs ) favorite HP right now. Was my first planar, changed my listening

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #457 of 2,912
How do these compare to the Momentum? The Momentum/HD1 is a beast of a wireless headphone.

Momentum HD1 = Momentum 2.0 wireless... It was just a rebranding in order to mach the new 4.x series... These are great headphones but in my experience already bested by the P7W.. I spent three months comparing those ultimately picking the P7W... And ANC is worse than the PX

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #458 of 2,912
Momentum HD1 = Momentum 2.0 wireless... It was just a rebranding in order to mach the new 4.x series... These are great headphones but in my experience already bested by the P7W.. I spent three months comparing those ultimately picking the P7W... And ANC is worse than the PX

I’m aware, that’s why I put the /.

The Momentum has an excellent tight bass with sub-bass that carries real impact so I’m curious if the PX matches or exceeds that.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #459 of 2,912

What about with comfort?
I found previous b&w headphones like the p5 had too much clamping and they’d give me a headache. The Bose QC35 are the comfiest but I found the momentums surprisingly comfy after a few weeks. Not too much clamp but you still feel left alone with the ANC and ear cups.

Do the px give you pressure the way the bose do? Momentums have almost no pressure.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #460 of 2,912
Just a few comments on the ANC:

I picked up a pair of PX while travelling yesterday and tried out the ANC on my flight home. I also had my Sony MDR-1000x with me so did a few direct comparisons on the flight. As already said before the PX has a weaker ANC than the Sony, but I wouldn't say that it is just worse, it is different. On a plane, the 1000x manages to cut background noise including voices to a very low level but also has an audible remaining background noise from the ANC itself. To my ears the ANC of the Sony also creates a slightly strange feeling like you are in a bubble, it feels a bit artificial which at least causes my ears to be a bit tired after a while. Anyway, the PX does not cut out background noise as much as the 1000x, but cuts out engine noise quite well. Voices are let through to a higher degree (I used the flight setting with minimum voice pass through) which means you hear announcements and such without having to take the headphone off. In the environment on the plane, there is no audible background noise from the ANC itself. I would say that the PX creates a more natural feeling noise suppression compared to the 1000x. I actually preferred it on the flight even though the 1000x suppresses more noise. I also have a pair of Bose Quite Comfort 15, even though I didn't have them on this trip I think they have the best ANC of the three and I presume the newer Boses are at least as good.

I won't say too much on sound quality yet as they haven't been broken in yet. Build wise they are in a completely different league, they feel solid and well built to a degree you seldom find.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #461 of 2,912
Just a few comments on the ANC:

I picked up a pair of PX while travelling yesterday and tried out the ANC on my flight home. I also had my Sony MDR-1000x with me so did a few direct comparisons on the flight. As already said before the PX has a weaker ANC than the Sony, but I wouldn't say that it is just worse, it is different. On a plane, the 1000x manages to cut background noise including voices to a very low level but also has an audible remaining background noise from the ANC itself. To my ears the ANC of the Sony also creates a slightly strange feeling like you are in a bubble, it feels a bit artificial which at least causes my ears to be a bit tired after a while. Anyway, the PX does not cut out background noise as much as the 1000x, but cuts out engine noise quite well. Voices are let through to a higher degree (I used the flight setting with minimum voice pass through) which means you hear announcements and such without having to take the headphone off. In the environment on the plane, there is no audible background noise from the ANC itself. I would say that the PX creates a more natural feeling noise suppression compared to the 1000x. I actually preferred it on the flight even though the 1000x suppresses more noise. I also have a pair of Bose Quite Comfort 15, even though I didn't have them on this trip I think they have the best ANC of the three and I presume the newer Boses are at least as good.

I won't say too much on sound quality yet as they haven't been broken in yet. Build wise they are in a completely different league, they feel solid and well built to a degree you seldom find.

Interesting, thanks. My gut feeling was that these would not fair well on a flight so it is good to know that they do ok with engine noise. It was the constant drone on a flight earlier this year with my P7Ws that prompted me to look at ANC cans.

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #462 of 2,912
Hifi-Klubben just confirmed on the phone that there is a firmware error in the current version of the PX firmware. Hence the current unavailability. Unfortunately they did not confirm what exactly.. They said that the PX would become available again per end of October, beginning of November..

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #463 of 2,912
OK here is what my First Impression. I just got it today, so my opinion about sound quality and comfort may change.
I think QC35 is the best.

This just goes to show how audio is such a individual and subjective thing. I currently own Bose QC35, Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H7 (rev2.0), BeoPlay H9 and I just got the Beats Studio3 Wireless. I also have the Sennheiser HD650 and Sennheiser HD800. And I find the Bose QC35 to be great in a lot of ways. I don't really fancy its look and design, but they are really lightweight, comfortable and have great wireless connectivity/bluetooth with great stability, range and the _handsdown_ best pairing and multi-device support out of all wireless headphones I've tried. But I don't like their tonality, it just sounds awkward and artificial to me. I do agree that they are doing a good job creating a decent soundstage and they feel decently dynamic and all. But the tone is just off, I noticed this a lot on vocals where the audio does not sound right. Especially when listening to spoken word like podcasts and audiobooks this becomes really noticeable as the tone of voices sounds different (in a bad way) to every other headphone I own. There is something fishy going on there.

This combined with the fact that the ANC makes this feel of "vacuum" which tends to make me feel "seasick" or get a slight migrene makes them hard to use as my daily drivers. I tend to only use them for plane rides, and that's pretty much it. I consider the sound quality of the BeoPlay H7 to be the best of all the wireless headphones I own, and I would rate the H9 second and I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I find the Bose QC35 or the Beats Studio3 Wireless to sound the worst. The QC35 has better dynamic, they go both deeper and higher and it creates a better and wider soundstage but that tonality really makes me disliking them.

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #464 of 2,912
I’ve been thinking about the ANC and, the more I think about it, the more I like the B&W approach.

The sound on these is, IMHO, objectively better than the QC35. I don’t know about you guys but I can definitely hear the missing frequencies when ANC is on/cranked.

What I like about the B&W approach is that it seems to subtract just the right amount for each given situation (office, city, airplane) so that it can leave as much music intact as possible.

Additionally, the fact that these have 4 mics dedicated to ANC (feed forward, feed backward) is a potentially good signal that they employ a similar approach to inner/outer measurements in a similar way to the ANC tech market leaders in Bose/Sony/Beats. This approach is in contrast to only measuring exterior noise and correcting for that, which is the "good, but last generation" approach. Would love to get feed forward/backward terminology confirmed as factually inner/outer before being certain that the B&W approach is as leading edge in tech but just a bit less heavy handed in it's approach.

EDIT: Theory validation: https://blog.jabra.com/anc-headsets-arent-all-the-same-three-types-of-anc/

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #465 of 2,912
My subjective thoughts...

Comfort: QC35 > MDR-1000X/WH-1000XM2 > PX. The Headband is similar to the VISO HP50 and creates a hot spot on the top of my head. Clamping pressure is significant but I imagine that would lessen over time. Ear Cups are better/larger than the Sony's and do fit my large ears.
Features: MDR-1000X/WH-1000XM2 > PX > QC 35. Think this is fairly self explanatory. Sony has the best of the 3 Apps and LDAC functionality.
Noise Canceling: QC 35 > MDR-1000X/WH-1000XM2 > PX. I would score them as 100/97/85 respectfully. I do not see the PX as that far off from the QC35 in my usage. The PX was certainly better than I anticipated.
Sound: PX > MDR-1000X/WH-1000XM2 > QC 35. If you enjoy the sound of the P7s Wired and find it better than the Sony's or Bose, you will love these. With one notable exception...

...if your intended use is to listen to Hi-Res Files (> 44.1 kHz) Wired via a DAC/AMP then I would wait for a firmware update and/or model update. It may be that my pair was defective. When playing Files > 44.1 kHz these is very noticeable/audible distortion (It sounds like a public address speaker with an open mike). The distortion remains (even paused) until a 44.1 kHz File is played. This was my intended use (Roon w/ Tidal > Jotunheim w/ DAC > Wired PX). I have returned mine, but I sent a note to Bowers and Wilkins regarding my issue to see if it's a one off. I will post my findings once I hear back from them.

If not for the Hi-Res issue, I would have most likely kept them (despite the slight comfort issues) for their sound quality. Hope this was helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back