Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 13, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #436 of 2,912
I'm really disliking that they don't work with a cable when turned off fully. I've never seen BT headsets have that limitation unless I'm missing something. But I know for sure my H7s work with just a cable. And so do my Parrots(although they sound hollow).

Right? The weirdest thing is that it was available on the P7W, so B&W should have the experience necessary to include that "feature" with the PX's.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #437 of 2,912
Listening to these corded through my Jotunheim w/ DAC via Roon. Anyone else getting distortion with > 44.1kHz FLAC Files? Tried over multiple Files. Goes away when I switch back to a 44.1kHz File. Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #438 of 2,912
Same with JRiver.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #439 of 2,912
Sent a note to Bowers and Wilkins. Will let you know what I find out. Would be curious if others are experiencing the same issue.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #440 of 2,912
Sent a note to Bowers and Wilkins. Will let you know what I find out. Would be curious if others are experiencing the same issue.

I'm still at work at the moment, but I'll try to remember to test this when I get home. I don't have quite as high-quality of a setup to work with, but I'll see what I hear
for reference, will be using Tool albums in FLAC with a Schiit Modi Multibit + Magni 2 Uber

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #441 of 2,912
ANC: while not the “chamber” of the Bose, here’s where these shine in the ANC world for Audio nerds:
-city: works as advertised and this mode is great for the gym.

-plane: I'll find out on October 29th and report back

Flaws: the intelligent system can cause auto-pause in funky times, I've turned it off.

I’m excited to read the audiophile reviews on these. I imagine they’ll score incredibly high and lead the market for some time. They’re just such a complete product to live with.

Have you used these at the gym? I'd be afraid to use these at the gym. Seem heavy and too expensive for gym -- and I sweat a lot. :astonished: Also, seems not sporty enough, too classy for gym wear? :confused:

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #442 of 2,912
-city: works as advertised and this mode is great for the gym.

I’m excited to read the audiophile reviews on these. I imagine they’ll score incredibly high and lead the market for some time. They’re just such a complete product to live with.

Is the form factor/materials good for use in the gym? Since the earpads are so easily replaceable that’s a plus.

whathifi already rated the PX as their best wireless headphones of 2017.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #443 of 2,912
Is the form factor/materials good for use in the gym? Since the earpads are so easily replaceable that’s a plus.

Would be nice to have an aftermarket moisture wicking ear pad + head band cover for gym use.

OTOH if the weight is close to the P7's... I'd rather not use them for the gym anyhow

That being said I just use my B&W earbud C5 S2 for the Gym connected to an Astell and Kern XB10 Bluetooth DAC/ AMP

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #444 of 2,912
Have you used these at the gym? I'd be afraid to use these at the gym. Seem heavy and too expensive for gym -- and I sweat a lot. :astonished: Also, seems not sporty enough, too classy for gym wear? :confused:

I have used them at the gym, yes. No problems for me and loved the workout. I guess I should consider something like that for sweat wicking.

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #447 of 2,912
In terms of everything else besides SQ and durability, the S8 appeals to me more in pretty much every category, which makes me really think about where my priorities lie. On one hand we have what I consider to be the most cutting-edge phone line, hardware-wise, and on the other we have a very strong audio contender with DAC and the latest and greatest codecs. Oh well, that's a problem for a different thread.

Agreed this it's off-topic, but I think Android 8(Oreo) itself supports the aptx-HD codec via software. I thought aptx-HD required a chip, but I have a Pixel and have seen it in options, and I think someone in this thread reports it working well on the Pixel, which has a standard Qualcomm chipset. If this is so then any current flagship phone should eventually get aptx-HD.

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #448 of 2,912
I could never use full size headphones like this at the gym - I sweat like a freaking pig when I work out and full size headphones would be absolutely drenched! Couldn't fathom getting that nasty sweat bath all over nice headphones.
That's what I was thinking, why not use something more purpose-built like Jaybirds? The PX aren't waterproof either, ew
Agreed this it's off-topic, but I think Android 8(Oreo) itself supports the aptx-HD codec via software. I thought aptx-HD required a chip, but I have a Pixel and have seen it in options, and I think someone in this thread reports it working well on the Pixel, which has a standard Qualcomm chipset. If this is so then any current flagship phone should eventually get aptx-HD.
The improvements in the new wireless codecs are part of why I decided not to upgrade to a v30. Former v20 owner who upgraded to the Sony XZ Premium (mainly due to baked-in LDAC support, which also should be coming to Oreo handsets soon). Like I've mentioned earlier, wireless is getting really really good, to the point where the inconvenience of dealing with wires and stuff outweighs the quality loss inherent in the transmission medium.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back