Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 13, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #406 of 2,912
Hab, That's why I asked if it's possible to use ANC In wired mode if the battery has stopped working after a few years. I'm not so sure. Also if the battery is dead and stops working, it should be possible to send it in to the store where you bought it and they'll send it to a B&W service repairment shop

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #407 of 2,912
Just had a very weird thing happen. I was listening via USB and decided to turn the ANC on. Suddenly there was more basss, the mids were crisp, the highs were there. I turned ANC off again and it still sounds good.
What's going on there?! This looks like a software bug was crippling my cans from the start?
Can anybody here who isn't happy with the sound try resetting them?
It wasn't burn-in for sure, I was just listening to some Youtube videos, enabled ANC, and now it sounds good?

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #408 of 2,912
Just had a very weird thing happen. I was listening via USB and decided to turn the ANC on. Suddenly there was more basss, the mids were crisp, the highs were there. I turned ANC off again and it still sounds good.
What's going on there?! This looks like a software bug was crippling my cans from the start?
Can anybody here who isn't happy with the sound try resetting them?
It wasn't burn-in for sure, I was just listening to some Youtube videos, enabled ANC, and now it sounds good?
As an FYI for anybody who wants to reset their headphones:
- Hold down the Bluetooth connect button and the Volume down button until the light flashes white a few times.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #415 of 2,912
I've been listening mainly to Spotify through my S7 Edge which is just normal aptX and dont find them lacking in the slightest.

I've been questioning my ability to judge good sound as well but what the hell, I've been listening to, recording and playing music for 35 years now so at the end of the day, I've only got my own ears to trust, as others only have theirs. I think I might unsubscribe from this thread and stop obsessing over what others think, because at this stage it really doesn't concern me as I think they're amazing.

That said, what aptX HD source are you using? Id love to hear what these are really capable of!
I've been listening mainly to Spotify through my S7 Edge which is just normal aptX and dont find them lacking in the slightest.

I've been questioning my ability to judge good sound as well but what the hell, I've been listening to, recording and playing music for 35 years now so at the end of the day, I've only got my own ears to trust, as others only have theirs. I think I might unsubscribe from this thread and stop obsessing over what others think, because at this stage it really doesn't concern me as I think they're amazing.

That said, what aptX HD source are you using? Id love to hear what these are really capable of!
I'm using an Astell and Kern AK70 - I also have an S7 Edge and the AK70 is in another league . Only issue is that the bluetooth connection is noticeably less stable with the AK70 and prone to drop-outs if you move - this is an issue with the player, not the headphones I suspect.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #416 of 2,912
well, there's certainly a mix of opinions in here, so I'll throw in mine after a full week of use. I've had them in my possession for 8 days now and absolutely love the things.
  • comfort level continues to improve as they wear in, most noticeably in the clamping force reduction, but I think the earpads may be getting softer too. the biggest remaining complaint is the headband. as others have reported it gets a bit sore after several hours, requiring me to shift it a hair forward or backward ever hour or so.
  • still loving this sound. my default work setting is to have ANC on Office mode, anything stronger messes up the SQ too much, but in Office mode or disabled they sound fantastic. very transparent, with a SLIGHT bass emphasis, nice clear highs and mids.
  • I have found them somewhat positioning dependent. personally I seem to have the best results pushing them JUST forward of being centered over my ears, but for anyone having some sound issues I'd suggest shifting them around a bit to see if you can get better results.
  • these batteries are some sort of magic. I've been intentionally not charging them to see when they'll die but they're still going strong at 30% battery after all-day work use for the last 3 days and a weekend of sampling. All work day I never turn them off, just occasionally drop them to my shoulders or put them on the desk and let the auto-pause do its thing. They're a little aggressive on the power saving mode, making for a ~5 second delay in resuming when you put them back on, but it's well worth the delay for this battery life.
  • all "connection" issues I've experience I traced back to the auto-pause feature. I've reduced the sensitivity to "low" and that seems to have almost entirely eliminated the random cutouts except for the occasional one when I shift them around on my head.
  • having used the Oppo PM-3 extensively over the last couple years I have to say they compare VERY well. both are quite transparent, but the PX has a bit more emphasis on bass punch, and the slightest bit less bass control (expected when compared to a planar-magnetic driver).
  • I knew wireless was more convenient, but I have to say it's MUCH easier using these than my previous setup of laptop => USB Extender => Dragonfly => 3.5mm cable => PM-3. Not only is it faster to get set up in the morning (no cables to plug in), but I never realized how often I used to manage to get myself tangled in cables until they were gone.
Overall, I've definitely decided to keep these, despite having quite a bit of time left on B&W's generous trial period. Especially considering my upcoming switch away from a phone with a headphone jack, these seem to be my next daily use pair.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #417 of 2,912
I'm using an Astell and Kern AK70 - I also have an S7 Edge and the AK70 is in another league . Only issue is that the bluetooth connection is noticeably less stable with the AK70 and prone to drop-outs if you move - this is an issue with the player, not the headphones I suspect.

If I copied my FLAC rips over to my phone would aptX be good enough to do them justice vs Spotify?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #418 of 2,912
- removed -

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #419 of 2,912
If I copied my FLAC rips over to my phone would aptX be good enough to do them justice vs Spotify?

Depends on the resolution.. Regular CD rips can be played by most players, but for high resolution flacs I would use a player like Neutron..

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #420 of 2,912
Depends on the resolution.. Regular CD rips can be played by most players, but for high resolution flacs I would use a player like Neutron..

Cheers, I've just A/B'd the new Pallbearer album that I own on CD vs Spotify and it's night and day, best get transferring some flacs over to my phone! I'll be sure to check out Neutron as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back