Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #467 of 2,912
Less bass than the QC35? I was looking to upgrade for the codec support on the PX but I’m not so sure it’s worth giving up the impressive sound of the Momentum which handles all frequencies extremely well, and has a comfortable non-clamping design. As I’ve said before if I buy the PX I’m stuck with store credit returning them so I really need to decide beforehand.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #468 of 2,912
Yeah funny how the QC35s are the ONLY can here that can do multipoint right. Even the 1000X/M2 which are packed to the gills with tech fail miserably with handling multiple connections.

The Momentum does multipoint perfectly as well. (You can be listening to one device then press play on another and it’ll switch over instantly.)

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #469 of 2,912
Less bass than the QC35? I was looking to upgrade for the codec support on the PX but I’m not so sure it’s worth giving up the impressive sound of the Momentum which handles all frequencies extremely well, and has a comfortable non-clamping design. As I’ve said before if I buy the PX I’m stuck with store credit returning them so I really need to decide beforehand.

I tried them in store today. I found them more bassy than the qc35 and the momentums. However, I can’t explain it but I like the momentum sound better. People will no doubt disagree with me but I found them “artificial” sounding. However they sounded good without ANC too. The ANC is better than the momentums. And great control with them. But I noticed them on my head and didn’t notice the momentums (comfort).

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #470 of 2,912
One of the upgrades I want to try is compare the sound quality over an APTX HD connection with an Astell & Kern AK70. I ordered a PX and an AK70. I expect them about 2 weeks.
Today I went to the local store to compare the sound of my iPhone 7 bluetooth (AAC) and the Astell & Kern AK70 bluetooth with aptX HD. Totally flabbergasted... I know it's a matter of taste, but the iPhone 7 sounds better to me! Wider soundstage, more PRAT and especially the highs have more presence with the iPhone. The AK70 sounds a bit boring. I played the same music FLAC 16/24 bit on the AK70 and with LAME converted MP3 320 CBR on the iPhone.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #471 of 2,912
LG is a definite hidden gem in the smartphone world. My friend has an old beaten up one still going after 4 years. It's too bad they don't do better in sales compared to Samsung.

On topic: I have these in my cart but I'm really disliking that they don't work with a cable when turned off fully. I've never seen BT headsets have that limitation unless I'm missing something. But I know for sure my H7s work with just a cable. And so do my Parrots(although they sound hollow).

I just tried my PX's wired for the first time yesterday. There was an audible hiss while they were plugged into my LG G6...it doesn't seem normal.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #475 of 2,912
Oct 14, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #478 of 2,912
Agreed this it's off-topic, but I think Android 8(Oreo) itself supports the aptx-HD codec via software. I thought aptx-HD required a chip, but I have a Pixel and have seen it in options, and I think someone in this thread reports it working well on the Pixel, which has a standard Qualcomm chipset. If this is so then any current flagship phone should eventually get aptx-HD.

That is news to me (great news at that). I'm still skeptical because haven't seen any posts about it and aptX's official website lists all the aptx HD-enabled devices currently released; the Pixel/S8 are not on that list.

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #479 of 2,912
S8 is mentioned.
https://www.aptx.com/products/samsung-galaxy-s8-smartphone

I don't think they updated their list. Looking for the other you mentioned now.

EDIT: Never mind, that's regular APT-X, I think.

Second EDIT: Pixel 1 and XL are listed as having no APT-X whatsoever.:astonished:

Third EDIT: Pixel 2 is listed as having APT-X HD on review sites.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #480 of 2,912
I'm still skeptical because haven't seen any posts about it and aptX's official website lists all the aptx HD-enabled devices currently released; the Pixel/S8 are not on that list.
Second EDIT: Pixel 1 and XL are listed as having no APT-X whatsoever.:astonished:
Third EDIT: Pixel 2 is listed as having APT-X HD on review sites.

Yes, the Pixel 1s have the hardware, but google did not pay the AptX licensing fee, so no AptX on Pixel 1.

For the Pixel 2s, Google did pay the fee due to wireless only, so AptX and AptX HD on the Pixel2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back