Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 15, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #496 of 2,912
How does the NC/DAC works with an empty battery?
No idea, good question... the headphones had 0% battery and I've listened on for about half an hour. Maybe there's some backup juice left? Music didn't play over Bluetooth only anymore though.

For the dac stuff, that could simply be coming from the source instead of the headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #499 of 2,912
After a week of “burning in” and testing at home, I took them out for the first time yesterday on the London Underground and a walk down Tottenham Court Road to Euston Station. I was really pleased with how they performed, both in noise cancellation and sound quality. For me, the office setting removed enough distraction to cope with all scenarios, even on the tube. I experimented with the flight setting and to be honest although it removed more of the train noise, office was still doing enough, even with quiet music playing. Sound quality was really impressive and definitely superior to the Sony MDR1000x that I previously used.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #500 of 2,912
No idea, good question... the headphones had 0% battery and I've listened on for about half an hour. Maybe there's some backup juice left? Music didn't play over Bluetooth only anymore though.

For the dac stuff, that could simply be coming from the source instead of the headphone.
I read the update of your previous post and I agree. Just a question: did you read the zero charge in the accompanying app? I ask because I found the read less than reliable, as it often goes to 96% after 2/3 min of playing, then back to 98 or 99%. Sometimes after an hour or so of using them the app reads 85%, if ai take them off and on again in some min, it goes back to 92/93%. So I think (if mine is not defective) I wouldn’t completely trust the app's battery reading

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #502 of 2,912
I wonder if rooting would fix that. That was a terrible decision on a flagship phone.

Back on topic: I'm not really sold on the PX anymore. Too many variations in the reviews. You either get a good pair or a bad pair it seems. Maybe after the firmware update.

Just a tiny word in your ear if I may? If you take to heart what you read in reviews you would never purchase a pair of socks or boxer shorts!

The field we are debating, HiFi tech', is fraught with different reviews and opinions. That is obvious as no one has the same musical sound stage taste nor ears or even head shape and size in the case of headphones!

If you like the idea of the PX you should try and get yourself, with some of your own music that you know well, down to your local HiFi outlet and audition the PX's. If YOU enjoy what you hear and they give you the 'goose bump' feeling, regardless of other reviews or opinions, buy them and enjoy.

If you wait for even a 50-50% consensus of opinions from reviewers on any subject you will wait for ever...........

Ryland

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #503 of 2,912
Yeah it should go without saying, especially if you've been in the audiophile game long enough, but the only ears you should trust are your own. Besides, some of the reviews here are clearly bunk (coughPCMagcough). Unless you're completely unable to gain access to a demo unit, I wouldn't put too much stock in reviews at all.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #504 of 2,912
Yeah it should go without saying, especially if you've been in the audiophile game long enough, but the only ears you should trust are your own. Besides, some of the reviews here are clearly bunk (coughPCMagcough). Unless you're completely unable to gain access to a demo unit, I wouldn't put too much stock in reviews at all.

Indeed. So called professional reviewers HAVE to be subjective to a point unless they borrow some one else's ears and sound taste palette!

It is a scary daunting world for the novice buyer I truly understand that but the best sound is what YOU enjoy and what makes YOU smile.
I am so bloomin relieved after decades of chasing Nirvana to have realised its relative also subjective and perfection IF we can ever find it is often a trifle boring and dull! The money, oh the money, I have spent on this passion of ours is absurd. Looking back it kept me busy, gave me a hobby, something to enjoy but did I ever truly enjoy this pursuit of trying to discover 'the best', maybe?

I read reviews, I read posts here and other forums, I talk to industry pundits about advances etc and it still always comes back to two things. Is the source material their in the first place? (studio recordings etc) and does what I am listening to give me that smile and satisfaction?

The very VERY good news for the Novice buyer is one can reach happiness in audio without trying to break the bank these days. The other good news is if one buys from say Amazon.de or Amazon.uk one can return goods.

Ryland

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #505 of 2,912
Just a tiny word in your ear if I may? If you take to heart what you read in reviews you would never purchase a pair of socks or boxer shorts!

The field we are debating, HiFi tech', is fraught with different reviews and opinions. That is obvious as no one has the same musical sound stage taste nor ears or even head shape and size in the case of headphones!

If you like the idea of the PX you should try and get yourself, with some of your own music that you know well, down to your local HiFi outlet and audition the PX's. If YOU enjoy what you hear and they give you the 'goose bump' feeling, regardless of other reviews or opinions, buy them and enjoy.

If you wait for even a 50-50% consensus of opinions from reviewers on any subject you will wait for ever...........

Ryland

That's certainly true, I've bought lots of headphones on my own. Even items with polarized reviews. Parrot, Elear; I even used Beats before. But I can't do that right now(funds are now tight) unless I can return them easily. It seems like there's so much inconsistency and B&W supposedly admitted they're putting out new firmware. That means there are issues.

Issue no. 1 for me really though, is no corded usage without being on. That's a strange decision actually. If they're on, that means I'm using BT and/or ANC. But I wouldn't need those modes all the time. B&W missed a chance to be an all-day, every day headphone. Even V-Moda Crossfade 2 can be used corded while off from what I read.

Light ANC is fine for me since I need to be aware of what's around me. But the sound quality IS an issue. I can't figure out if it's decent or not by the reviews. Some say great out of the box, some say burn in, some say crap until you reset, etc. Then there's the app issue. I had app annoyance with Parrot and don't need it again.

PX isn't a must have or even a must try right now, for those reasons. Which is too bad because B&W knows their build quality! My P5 S2s are still solid and tight!!

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #506 of 2,912

I'd honestly like to try these at Magnolia first. I guess I could go the Amazon route but I'll wait until I can update the new firmware first. It probably wouldn't hurt to wait until 2018 anyway in my case. By then some of the kinks should be worked out.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #508 of 2,912
I was using wireless sets earlier this year but got lured back in by the many wonderful audiophile wired sets mentioned on Head-fi, LOL! I agree the convenience is great but if I'm at my laptop at home, there's no real need. When I want to stream while doing household chores, then yes BT makes the chores way easier to get through. One thing I hate is my apartment has one wall or door that blocks the BT signal and if the device isn't strong enough, I get choppy audio.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #509 of 2,912
Not going to speak for everybody here...sure you won't NEED wireless all the time, but once you get accustomed to its sheer convenience, I dare say you'll be going wire-free more often than not.

There’s a lot of truth to this. I’d add “simple wires” to the convenience conversation.

For context, the Blue MoFi is what opened my eyes to beautiful headphones. I already had the ATH-m50 for music production. I purchased these for similar reasons but was blown away by plugging into my phone and turning on the onboard amp. Since then, my headphone journey has revolved around products that work with my phone, first and foremost.

Blue MoFi, Bowers and Wilkins PX, Audeze iSine20 w/ Cipher, 1more Quads, ORA GrapheneQ and AirPods.

There’s just something about to audiophile plug and play mixed with the cans being tools for your life in addition to sound reproduction.

My focus on this mobile first philosophy has allowed me to get a taste of everything while, arguably, sacrificing nothing. There’s TOTL type representation across the spectrum here yet I’m never chained to my desk or need to change gears for a phone call(I’m on the phone a lot for business).

This philosophy also protects me from chasing a million audiophile products that don’t really fit into the pre-defined usage scenario.

For my true endgame, I’ll probably just extend this into speakers with the KEF LS50 for $2K. Yeah, that’s lot of money but it’s less than a lot of headphones and a complete system. The iSine20 is arguably the same for a portable planar system.

Anyway, I’m a few margaritas deep and figured I’d share my thoughts around portability first audiophiledom and it’s percieved advantages.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #510 of 2,912
Not going to speak for everybody here...sure you won't NEED wireless all the time, but once you get accustomed to its sheer convenience, I dare say you'll be going wire-free more often than not.

I can't wait. At work, I am using some Senn 598SE and an iFi Micro iDAC2. I'm happy with the sound for work, but my headphone cable constantly gets tangled with my desk telephone cable (my desk arrangement forces both to be on the same side). It's pretty annoying so I am excited to see how the PX will do here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back