Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #271 of 2,912
Oh I found it's bass ability!! I left them on burn in whilst at work (over bluetooth all day, so good battery work, still had 23% left) and this evening the BASS has arrived.
They still sound "brittle" in the treble space, certainly not yet natural and fit for long periods (getting a headache like I never do from the wired P7s). Maybe a bit more burn in will settle them and let them extend to play full sound of symbols rather than cut them off.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #272 of 2,912
This thread might just be about Marmite. How can some (including myself) be beyond impressed, whilst others are totally underwhelmed. Surely there must be a defective batch to cause such conflict of opinion. I’ve come from Sony MDR1000x so I’m certain it’s not that my expectations are lower. The PX is sounding better than those from day one, which is a relief as I was expecting something really bad from some of the reports floating around here and elsewhere!

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #273 of 2,912
OK, perhaps a specific snippet might help illustrate.
Track: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Album: Tough Guys Don't Dance
Artist: High Contrast
the first minute and 15 seconds before the Drum and bass gets going.

A) There's a slow rhythm played with a muffled symbol that's had some reverb / cutting applied
B) A slow thumping bass line
C) A female vocal

A) has a realistic ring/reverb on the P7s it's pleasant. On the PXs it seems oddly "clipped" like there's part of the curve not played. It's almost painful, perhaps one's ear is aware of something missed.
B) is mellow and lush on the P7s, on PX it's like they don't try to play that part, it's like a cardboard box being thumped.
C) she's outside of your head on the P7s, she's in you head on the PXs.

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #274 of 2,912

A) There's a slow rhythm played with a muffled symbol that's had some reverb / cutting applied
C) A female vocal

A) has a realistic ring/reverb on the P7s it's pleasant. On the PXs it seems oddly "clipped" like there's part of the curve not played. It's almost painful, perhaps one's ear is aware of something missed.
B) is mellow and lush on the P7s, on PX it's like they don't try to play that part, it's like a cardboard box being thumped.

Hm, I played this track on my PX and my HD6XX for comparison. Doesn't feel like there is anything missing in the PX that's audible on the HD6XX. I hear the bass line (the stronger the ANC the stronger the bass), she doesn't sound in my head (that's usually on the strongest ANC settings). Also nothing sounds clipped to me or painful.

Are those fresh out of the box? What ANC Settings did you use? Also Codec? I'm playing this with Aptx HD.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #279 of 2,912
Wow, this is interesting ... basically you can turn any source into AptX HD compatible! Assuming you get clean power (Anker power block?), you could turn a macbook or an airplane movie into AptX HD ... this could be genius for $45.

I've got the P7W and am considering the PX.

SIDE NOTE: I use the P7W for flights and got them over the Sonys MDR1000x and Bose QC35 because I don't get the "sound booth" effect others mention ... even on full ANC the sonys and QC35s don't help much for me and I found with the P7W that the SQ is so much better that if I just turn them up I forget all about whatever background noise ANC is supposed to be blocking. It's really made question whether ANC is a solution looking for a problem, because maybe the solution is just having great SQ. In short, I've been using my P7Ws daily for home and travel without even missing ANC.

Where I DEFINITELY notice a difference is between bluetooth SBC vs AptX. My phones/tablets are all "standard" bluetooth, but my macbook connects to my P7Ws with AptX and there's a HUGE difference. The SBC sounds "grainy" whereas the AptX sounds much fuller. Given that experience, I'm wondering if the PX would be a nice addition ... and if I can get AptX HD from any source including phones ... wow, that'd be a nice benefit. Especially if I could put a Dragonfly as a source for the Inateck ...

Anyway, I'm just a novice with all this stuff, but I know what I like to listen to and if this Inateck device, in combo with a dragonfly could give killer resolution wirelessly to any device ... GENIUS!

That is also my issue. For sound quality, IEM's > all bluetooth headphones that I heard so far.

But I'm open to be suprised by the next generation of bluetooth headphones :p

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #280 of 2,912

C) A female vocal

Are you playing the PX wired and from the same source as the P7 (I assume you meant P7 and not P7W). The issues you mentioned (A and B) may be compression artifacts, especially SBC wireless connection. AAC and APTX should have much less noticeable artifacts.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #282 of 2,912
This headphone is really revealing. I have moments when I listen to them I think that something is "wrong" with the headphones, and I test it on my other pair of headphones and the unpleasant noise is still deep in the original recording just smoothed out (or less audible) on other headphones. It really sounds spectacular on well recorded music, but some albums really show their flaws on here.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #283 of 2,912
This headphone is really revealing. I have moments when I listen to them I think that something is "wrong" with the headphones, and I test it on my other pair of headphones and the unpleasant noise is still deep in the original recording just smoothed out (or less audible) on other headphones. It really sounds spectacular on well recorded music, but some albums really show their flaws on here.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. I've burned them in for 24 hours with white noise, but some of these HiRes recordings I have sound really bad. Stuff like Oasis, Foo Fighters and similar rock just don't sound right. This is with the Environmental Filter off.

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #284 of 2,912
Could anyone confirm that it is not possible to put them in the case completely flat. The earcups are at an angle with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back