Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #302 of 2,912
Then it’s possible, perhaps, that the PX would work with the clunky Apple CCK cable which plugs into the Lightning port and provides a USB-A port and is compatible with most DACs that provide a standard USB Audio interface. I’m not suggesting that is an elegant solution, mind you.

I tried that as well and it doesn't work - because the PX is trying to draw too much power (WDitters is right that that's not the reason why the Lightning to USB-C cable doesn't work either).

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #303 of 2,912
I tried that as well and it doesn't work - because the PX is trying to draw too much power (WDitters is right that that's not the reason why the Lightning to USB-C cable doesn't work either).

Do you have the new Apple CCK cable with the pass-thru Lightning port on the bottom in addition to the USB-A port? Perhaps that plugged into a portable battery (or other power source) would do the trick? That's worked for me for DACs that attempt to draw too much power from the iDevice.

Though, that would make it an even clunkier solution even if it did work! :sweat_smile:

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #304 of 2,912
ok, so I've been listening to these extensively over the long weekend, and finally started bringing them to work as well this week (finally sidelined my Dragonfly/PM-3 combo). A few bullet observations.
  • they still sound great. no regrets about switching away from my Dragonfly/PM-3 on the quality front
  • as others have already noted, these things seem to be somewhat sensitive to a bit of a break-in process... a few overnight sessions running pink noise seems to have helped them settle in
  • despite my complaints about the ANC affecting noise quality, I've actually found myself using it on the (appropriately named) Office setting while at work. It does wonders to cancel out the open office noises around me and has a very minimal effect on sound quality on this setting. The voice passthrough is also quite impressive here, allowing me to hear my coworker who sits across from me when he asks me a question, but blocking out the various design discussions happening elsewhere in the room.
  • comfort for long-term wear is still my biggest complaint, but it does seem to be improving. I'll admit I've got a big head, but I'm looking forward to these getting a bit more stretched out so they don't squeeze quite so hard. This was the biggest thing keeping me from switching to these from my PM-3 for work use, but for now the wireless convenience is outweighing the lower comfort level. For reference, the PM-3 had a significantly lower clamping force and softer earpads. Both the PX and PM-3 cause similar (minimal) heat issues when worn for extended periods.
  • despite experiencing the occasional issue with the auto-pause getting stuck in paused mode when I tested while cleaning my apartment, I've left the feature enabled and have been loving it in an office setting. While sitting at my desk I've had zero issues with it randomly pausing, and it's damn convenient to just slide them off my head onto my shoulders when someone walks over to chat and have it auto-pause. If you're using these while moving around more often you may want to look into disabling this setting.
  • battery life continues to impress, I'd guess B&W's numbers are on the conservative side if anything.
  • I cannot get them to work on Windows 7. They paired up to my Windows 10 home desktop no problem, but on my Win7 work PC they refuse to work. I can get them to register in Device Manager, but in the audio devices menu they always show as disconnected. If anyone else has better luck here please let me know, for not I've just been playing them from my phone. This also isn't a dealbreaker as my company is rolling out Windows 10 to all developers in the next few months, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • bluetooth range has been awesome. playing from the tiny USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle plugged into my desktop they work throughout my 1 BR apartment no problem. Playing from my Nexus 6p (I know, not AptX but my Pixel2 is on the way) I was able to use them almost anywhere in my parent's 3200 sq foot house. Admittedly the house has cathedral ceilings and an open floor plan so there are few walls, but impressive nonetheless.
  • the app is still obnoxious. I really don't get the delay in the "Searching for PX..." screen when the headphones are already connected and playing music. From a software developer's perspective I don't get how it can possibly take so long to iterate through the list of ONE bluetooth devices I have connected to decide if it's a PX headphone...

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #305 of 2,912
  • bluetooth range has been awesome. playing from the tiny USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle plugged into my desktop they work throughout my 1 BR apartment no problem. Playing from my Nexus 6p (I know, not AptX but my Pixel2 is on the way) I was able to use them almost anywhere in my parent's 3200 sq foot house. Admittedly the house has cathedral ceilings and an open floor plan so there are few walls, but impressive nonetheless.
What Bluetooth dongle do you use and how does it fare compared to your mobile phone if I may ask? The Aptx HD dongle I'm using has gread sound output but unfortunately Autopause doesn't work with this.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #306 of 2,912
I can only charge them off my pixel android phone. Can they act as DAC to an android phone?
In Windows it downloads drivers and sees them as 2 devices "stereo" and "headset".

Not sure if you specifically need to tell it to use USB for audio-out, but in principle all Android devices support this yes.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #308 of 2,912
ok, so I've been listening to these extensively over the long weekend, and finally started bringing them to work as well this week (finally sidelined my Dragonfly/PM-3 combo). A few bullet observations.
  • they still sound great. no regrets about switching away from my Dragonfly/PM-3 on the quality front
  • as others have already noted, these things seem to be somewhat sensitive to a bit of a break-in process... a few overnight sessions running pink noise seems to have helped them settle in
  • despite my complaints about the ANC affecting noise quality, I've actually found myself using it on the (appropriately named) Office setting while at work. It does wonders to cancel out the open office noises around me and has a very minimal effect on sound quality on this setting. The voice passthrough is also quite impressive here, allowing me to hear my coworker who sits across from me when he asks me a question, but blocking out the various design discussions happening elsewhere in the room.
  • comfort for long-term wear is still my biggest complaint, but it does seem to be improving. I'll admit I've got a big head, but I'm looking forward to these getting a bit more stretched out so they don't squeeze quite so hard. This was the biggest thing keeping me from switching to these from my PM-3 for work use, but for now the wireless convenience is outweighing the lower comfort level. For reference, the PM-3 had a significantly lower clamping force and softer earpads. Both the PX and PM-3 cause similar (minimal) heat issues when worn for extended periods.
  • despite experiencing the occasional issue with the auto-pause getting stuck in paused mode when I tested while cleaning my apartment, I've left the feature enabled and have been loving it in an office setting. While sitting at my desk I've had zero issues with it randomly pausing, and it's damn convenient to just slide them off my head onto my shoulders when someone walks over to chat and have it auto-pause. If you're using these while moving around more often you may want to look into disabling this setting.
  • battery life continues to impress, I'd guess B&W's numbers are on the conservative side if anything.
  • I cannot get them to work on Windows 7. They paired up to my Windows 10 home desktop no problem, but on my Win7 work PC they refuse to work. I can get them to register in Device Manager, but in the audio devices menu they always show as disconnected. If anyone else has better luck here please let me know, for not I've just been playing them from my phone. This also isn't a dealbreaker as my company is rolling out Windows 10 to all developers in the next few months, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • the app is still obnoxious. I really don't get the delay in the "Searching for PX..." screen when the headphones are already connected and playing music. From a software developer's perspective I don't get how it can possibly take so long to iterate through the list of ONE bluetooth devices I have connected to decide if it's a PX headphone...

Thanks for sharing this, specially the part about the comfort. A few months ago I bought the P7W. I loved how they sounded, but at the end of the day I couldn't live with their comfort issues due to the high clamping force.
When I heard about B&W's new ANC headphones I was really excited. Not much because of the ANC itself, but because I thought that the PX shouldn't need to have a high clamping force to cancel the noise passively like the p7w did, since it has ANC now.
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case regarding to the majority of the posts here and that's kind of disappointing.
I would appreciate to hear more about the comfort though.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #310 of 2,912
What Bluetooth dongle do you use and how does it fare compared to your mobile phone if I may ask? The Aptx HD dongle I'm using has gread sound output but unfortunately Autopause doesn't work with this.

I'm actually using this one off Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/Azio-Micro-Bluetooth-Adapter-BTD-V401/dp/B00JAZGSXY/
though to be honest, I don't think I tested the autopause using it, only did that with my phone.
That said, the AptX connection is very noticeably better than my phone's non-AptX codec. Looking forward to the arrival of my Pixel 2 XL to test out AptX-HD

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #312 of 2,912
I'm actually using this one off Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/Azio-Micro-Bluetooth-Adapter-BTD-V401/dp/B00JAZGSXY/
though to be honest, I don't think I tested the autopause using it, only did that with my phone.
That said, the AptX connection is very noticeably better than my phone's non-AptX codec. Looking forward to the arrival of my Pixel 2 XL to test out AptX-HD
USB should work fine, my bluetooth dongle with normal AptX works with autopause. The AptX HD thingy on the other hand is connected via 3.5mm and that one doesn't work with autopause, which is a bummer as it sounds better than the other one. Mind you that might be because my regular USB dongle is maybe not that great, no idea. People claim that there shouldn't be too much of a difference between AptX and AptX HD.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #313 of 2,912
I find the PX quite comfy, if a little heavy owing to their lovely by construction. I've not owned the P7X as there's no way I'd tolerate them, every time I've tried a pair on I've found them horrendously uncomfortable.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #314 of 2,912
I would appreciate to hear more about the comfort though.

If it makes you feel any better I actually think their comfort has improved over the course of my use today. This is the first day I've used them at work, so the first time I've had them on my head constantly for most of the day. After the first hour or so wearing them I was afraid that by noon or so I'd have to take them off to prevent headaches, but it's now almost 16:00 and not only do I not have a headache, but if anything they seem to be clamping less than they were this morning. I've only taken a few very short breaks for quick design discussions or to grab water and hit the restroom. I'm not sure they'll ever QUITE match the comfort of my PM-3 (the softer earcups seem to help a ton), but at this rate they'll be close soon.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #315 of 2,912
One thing that adds to the comfort for me is the space for my ears to breath. The Sony’s although lighter, with softer earpads and arguably more comfortable, allowed much less room for my ears making them feel hot after a relatively short time. The PX’s although firmer, sit further from my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back