Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 6, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #91 of 2,912
Listening to mine on the train now!

The NC is definitely not as strong as the QC35s, fine on a train though and when music is playing the train noise is blocked. I'd be interested in seeing how they fair on a flight.

Sound quality is head and shoulders better than QC35s, I'm no audio guy but I think they sound as good as my P7ws too, they are plenty loud too!

I'm impressed!

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #92 of 2,912
Listening to mine on the train now!

The NC is definitely not as strong as the QC35s, fine on a train though and when music is playing the train noise is blocked. I'd be interested in seeing how they fair on a flight.

Sound quality is head and shoulders better than QC35s, I'm no audio guy but I think they sound as good as my P7ws too, they are plenty loud too!

I'm impressed!
So what's your experience with shifting ANC while looking around? Do you experience that at all? To me it feels almost as if the mic on the "noise source" side picks up that sound that's directed at them as anything on the opposite side is muted to me.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #94 of 2,912
According to CNET, the PX house the same drivers used in the P9. Quite a good value if they fix the NC sound signature issues.

I don't believe that this is accurate. The drivers are angled, like the P9 drivers...and maybe share some other similarities, but nowhere has B&W stated that the PX use actual P9 drivers.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #95 of 2,912
P9 drivers, dang, I'm interested.

I'd take CNET's comment regarding P9 drivers with a huge grain of salt. The PX drivers are angled, like the P9 drivers...and maybe they share some other attributes, but B&W has not actually said anything about the PX and P9 sharing the same drivers. If that were the case, I'd immediately sell my beloved P9's and be at the store first thing in the morning to buy these super duper NC/BT P9 like cans. Pretty sure that is not the case, though.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #97 of 2,912
Then further down in the “key features according to B&W”:

• The 40mm drive units feature the same angled design found on the P9 (the drivers are the same as the P9's).

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #98 of 2,912
Just came back from auditioning the PXes at my local B&W showroom. I couldn't test them out as well as I would have liked, as the salesman was adamant on demoing them through the app on his iPhone (AAC, not aptX HD :\) and just wouldn't leave my side, but from what I heard, B&W may have a winner here. Quick thoughts below:

- These are very well built, but you'd expect that, coming from B&W. The P7Ws were built like tanks but you'd sometimes feel like you were wearing one on your head. The PXes look sleek with ballistic nylon and matte headband posts, these materials might even handle wear and tear better than the P7s
- Clamping force on the P7s was pretty awful until you broke them in, no such worries with the PXes...yet. Headband feels good, but I'm still not sure about the earcups. If you look at product shots you'll see the earcups are almost overly sculpted? They don't seem very plush and I could feel that. Perhaps I've been spoilt by the earcups on the QC35s and the B&O H9s, but this may be a potential pain point here. Not a dealbreaker by any means, perhaps they just need to be broken in like the headband on the P7s did.
- You can control ANC and motion controls through the app, all I wanted from it was the option to turn off motion controls from there lol, and it's definitely there. For the privacy freaks, you can probably configure your cans in here to your liking, then uninstall the app and be done with that.
- ANC seems to be decent? The aforementioned salesman was blabbering in my ear about the PX'es features and I could not hear him at all, so yay, I guess. That said, they don't block off sound as well as the Sony WH-1000XM2s. If I had to give a ballpark figure,the PX's ANC is probably about 70% as effective as the market leaders (Bose, Sony). A good first effort.
- Now, sound. I forgot to test for loudness but these aren't as punchy as the P7Ws. IMO, a very good thing. The PX is a much better sonically balanced can, while it's still got a fun sound signature, the bass is more restrained which lets the mids come to the fore. A really pleasant sounding headphone.

I really didn't have much of a listening session with these puppies, but I've heard enough to ascertain that these are very different indeed from the P7Ws. The ANC is competent, it's built of hardier materials, and it's not as aggressive sounding as the P7W. The PXes are on backorder till December in my parts (!), but I've put in the order for one. What I've heard has definitely sold me.
Sounds like B&W may have a winner on their hands. I love my P7W's but I thought the DSR9BT's have better balance throughout the frequency range, which makes them more enjoyable to listen too. I also like the H9's but find their volume to low at times but the ANC on them is fine to my ears. Bose definitely cancels out more outside noise but it also re-tunes the music which makes the music quality suffer somewhat. The H9's has a nice balance of musicality and ANC abilities. So if the PX can maintain the musical presence of the P7W's and has a similar ANC as the H9 then I'm in.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #100 of 2,912
Then further down in the “key features according to B&W”:

• The 40mm drive units feature the same angled design found on the P9 (the drivers are the same as the P9's).

I'm well aware that this is what CNET is saying. I read the review just like you and almost everyone else posting in this thread. I'm saying that B&W themselves haven't said that the PX and P9 share the same exact driver. They've said that it is an advanced driver and that it is angled, like the P9 driver. Is it possible that they said this to CNET, and only CNET? Possible....but unlikely.

All other published reviews make mention of the drivers being angled like the P9 drivers...and some say that the drivers are similar or that they share technology, but no others claim that B&W told them the drivers are one in the same. If this is the case, this would be a huge selling point and they would very clearly note this in the product listing on the B&W website. A $400 headphone with the same exact drivers as their $900 Signature flagship headphones...oh, and they're also throwing in NC and BT. :money_mouth:

Have crazier things happened? Sure....but I'm not going to believe that they use the same exact drivers unless B&W confirms it. And no, sharing some trickle down tech or engineering and the same mounting angle does not make them the same driver.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #102 of 2,912
Maybe my pair is broken, after all. :|

That would suck, but it happens...especially with newly released products. Return it and try another pair.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #103 of 2,912
Those with hands on, how are you finding the touch controls? Any of the issues PCMag reported?
the PX doesn't use a touch pad, usability is far less finicky than a 1000x or the H9's infamous circular touch controls. One button for power, one for ANC, a short strip of 3 buttons with the middle one raised for play/pause/forward/back/volume. Pretty basic.

I do agree that it's almost impossible that the PX would be using the P9's drivers, the PX's less than half the price, with added tech lol. Doesn't help that the official product page doesn't really clarify either.

edit: On second thought, I now remember the salesman saying something about how the PX was using a hybrid driver from the P7W: to clarify, it was the P7W's driver with a bunch of changes. I didn't ask what they were, nor do I know if it was just BS. He did also mention the PX drivers were angled, similar to the P9.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #105 of 2,912
the PX doesn't use a touch pad, usability is far less finicky than a 1000x or the H9's infamous circular touch controls. One button for power, one for ANC, a short strip of 3 buttons with the middle one raised for play/pause/forward/back/volume. Pretty basic.

I'm referring to the pause when you lift the cup, sleep when you put it down etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back