Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 1, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #811 of 2,912
Should I buy the HD-650 and an amp instead if I don’t need ANC and want the best possible sound? Maybe I’ve been a bit naive hoping that I could get the same quality sound out of a wireless headphone but miniature amplifiers and Bluetooth codecs have come a long way so I don’t think we’re too far away from wireless headphones rivaling wired. The question is whether the PX is at that level or if I should just not waste my time and finally cave into the HD-650 or LCD2.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #812 of 2,912
Should I buy the HD-650 and an amp instead if I don’t need ANC and want the best possible sound? Maybe I’ve been a bit naive hoping that I could get the same quality sound out of a wireless headphone but miniature amplifiers and Bluetooth codecs have come a long way so I don’t think we’re too far away from wireless headphones rivaling wired. The question is whether the PX is at that level or if I should just not waste my time and finally cave into the HD-650 or LCD2.

Well the "best possible sound" is both objective and highly subjective when it comes to headphones. Bob Katz' LCD4 VS Utopia article seems to be about the closest thing I've seen to an objective declaration of a tonal winner in the race for sonic purity.

Objectively and Subjectively, wireless isn't there yet. There's a chance for ORA to do it but the jury is out until product delivery.

For your preferences, I get the impression that you really value bass performance and the HD650 Will not get you there. I also remember that you have preference for mobility oriented designs. I'd recommend checking out the Audeze iSine again and giving it as much of a chance as you did with the Beats Studio. Specifically, try the Comply Comfort tips if you do. I think that's the best mobile plug and play solution for TOTL style performance. Both myself and Hawaiiboy are smitten with their bass after some EQ magic. Happy to share my Cipher bass profile with you. I think with the Comply you would have quite the different fit and sonic experience.

HTH

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #813 of 2,912
I am wondering the same thing. This last weekend they kept stopping music and disconnecting from my phone. Don't know what has changed.

This has started happening to mine today. All of a sudden completely disconnecting. I've reset and switched off the wear sensor as has been suggested and this seems to fix it, but since I've grown pretty fond of that for convenience sake, hope the new firmware fixes the problem.

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #815 of 2,912
Well the "best possible sound" is both objective and highly subjective when it comes to headphones. Bob Katz' LCD4 VS Utopia article seems to be about the closest thing I've seen to an objective declaration of a tonal winner in the race for sonic purity.

Objectively and Subjectively, wireless isn't there yet. There's a chance for ORA to do it but the jury is out until product delivery.

For your preferences, I get the impression that you really value bass performance and the HD650 Will not get you there. I also remember that you have preference for mobility oriented designs. I'd recommend checking out the Audeze iSine again and giving it as much of a chance as you did with the Beats Studio. Specifically, try the Comply Comfort tips if you do. I think that's the best mobile plug and play solution for TOTL style performance. Both myself and Hawaiiboy are smitten with their bass after some EQ magic. Happy to share my Cipher bass profile with you. I think with the Comply you would have quite the different fit and sonic experience.

HTH

Funnily enough out of curiosity I plugged my ATH-AD700 into my Sony KRP-670p amp (intended for surround sound but has a 6.3mm headphone output) and am smitten with the sound using just the iHeartRadio app on my TiVo. They're bright headphones normally but I can boost the bass 6 decibels while reducing the treble 6 decibels and am able to get a clean presentation out of them (some songs +2 bass with neutral treble), and their imaging/soundstage paired with the amp is incredible. I expect the HD650 to perform better with a fuller bass though I'm a bit skeptical their imaging/soundstage will be better.

(That's one reason I expected wireless headphones to catch up: I can listen to my ATH-AD700 amp'd with a 128kbps streaming service and get incredible sound out of it. Codecs are definitely up to par to provide a quality wireless experience. Beats really disappointed by not taking advantage of this. Studio3 is a pretty poor performer relatively.)

Honestly I was never able to get a comfortable fit out of the iSine10 mainly due to their design rather than the ear tips provided, but the price-to-performance ratio is there. The imaging on the iSine10 was incredible but I didn't enjoy them as much as I'd hoped. Still, it's Audeze sound in a portable package at an incredible price. I'm not the biggest fan of the in-ear form factor in general and think I'd be happier with the Sine if it's comfortable, but it looks like they're phasing it out hopefully for a gen 2 (unless the iSine is replacing it).

So, you prefer the iSine's sound overall to the PX?

I would definitely be interested in seeing what your EQ settings are. If I do buy again I'll invest money into the Comply tips :).

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #817 of 2,912
Check out this Geekria case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IZ9ZJ9Y/

Another forum member recommended them to me in msg. He chose them based on headphones dimensions. He commented that the case is nice but he didn't receive headphones yet to check exact fit.

That was me, still haven't got the bloody phones yet. I'll be very surprised if they don't fit though. The case is bigger than a similar one I store my B&O H6 in.

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #819 of 2,912
This has started happening to mine today. All of a sudden completely disconnecting. I've reset and switched off the wear sensor as has been suggested and this seems to fix it, but since I've grown pretty fond of that for convenience sake, hope the new firmware fixes the problem.

Have you tried turning the wear sensor back on after the reset? I reset mine yesterday, ran them for an hour with the wear sensor off, then turned it back on and it has been working fine ever since. I have used them for about 3 hours since turning it back on, so not totally confident yet but hoping it will be fine!

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #821 of 2,912
Whilst we are on the subject of cases, I am finding that the original doesn't close properly when the headphones are in it. When it is empty, it closes with a magnet, but the headphones in it won't.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #823 of 2,912
Hello,
I want to replace my plantronics backbeat pro and I'm hesitating between 2 headphones. Either the B&W PX or the B&O H6. I will use them only in the library, street, bus (not at home as I have a K712) so noise isolation is pretty important. I found a very good deal for the B&O H6 (new for only 169 £) and I can use them with my s7 and e17k, however it does not have active noise cancelling and bluetooth is quite convenient I must say. What do you think is the best deal in my case?

PS: I listen to classical/rock, I have glasses and comfort is really important

Users who are viewing this thread

Back