Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Aug 26, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #2,447 of 2,912
First impressions.

I have a very large dome but they fit perfectly, are incredibly comfortable and easily fit over my ears (I was half-expecting on-ear).

Noise cancellation was very good on the four hour flight. Not sure I understand people’s complaints about SQ as sound is never going to be great on a plane. I think they shined in that environment.

Music sounds very good out of the box. Curious to see what burn-in yields.

Beautiful materials and build.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #2,448 of 2,912
Totally agree on ANC in the correct environment. Flight mode on a flight is fantastic. 16hr flight a few days ago and the amount of cabin noise that was blocked was incredible, sitting by the engines too. Sound quality is very enjoyable too once your ears adjust after 15mins or so.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #2,449 of 2,912
After spending more time with the Amiron Wireless,
I've concluded one thing:
There is no Bluetooth headphone out there for me that has an exceptional sound that can fit on my head well (lol)
I can write a long review if any of you are interested, and possibly compare to the PX (although I'd be going from memory, I still remember the sound signature decently well).
When I first tried these headphones on, they sounded great. But again, now that I've had a decent amount of time with them, I can make some conclusions. I can still say that they're still good. Just not amazing.. They have a few aspects about them that I love, and which possibly may have swayed me so much in the beginning such as great craftsmanship, amazing comfort, and.. well, a good sound.

But, they don't sound phenomenal. In fact, they can fall short of the PX at times. In some songs, especially ones with a strong mid range presence, I feel like they aren't as clear. This is contrary to what I said previously, but it seems to vary from song to song. Some songs do sound great, while others seem to have something lacking to them.. Vocals sound great, but they can also sound a little more muffled than the PX, something that I didn't see when I first tried them on.
I stated that the Amiron Wireless was airier than the PX, which is true. I personally find the bass to bounce more and be livelier than what the PX had, it isn't as powerful and doesn't stick out as much as on the PXs. When listening to Lorde Royals, a song with deep sub bass, it just isn't as prominent as what my PXs had. It's not worse at all, it's just different. I prefer it on the Amiron Wireless. I like the highs a little more too. They're quite analytical, but pleasant to listen to.

While they do sound good anyways, they're definitely not perfect, and can lack some detail mainly in the mids on certain songs for some reason. This is evident in the vocals of some songs.
When listening to Medication by Damian Marley, a song that has a good amount of bass but also a great vocal benchmark, the clarity simply is not what the PX had. The vocals sound good, but a little muffled.
When listening to Accidentally in Love by Counting Crows (it's a Shrek song, yes. But it's very good), the instrumentals don't have the clarity and punch that the PXs had, and vocals and instrumentals seem to overlap near the middle and sound kind of messy. This is a song I really like, so I know it pretty well. It was just a more enjoyable experience on the PXs.
Other songs though, are better on the Amiron Wireless.
Fortress by Illenium sounds amazing - the bass is incredibly punchy and not overwhelming, the vocals sound amazing and smooth with great clarity. Just a great song on these headphones.
There are other songs that sound great on these, but others that the PX excels in.

As a last paragraph, I'd like to talk about their issues. They sound good while hooked up to a computer or wired to a phone, but in wireless mode there seems to be distortion at the low end with loud volumes. I know I said that it's not a big deal, but it really gets to you when you hear your headphones buzz on some bassy songs. With the MIY tuning, they get louder, but there can be a lot of distortion in the low end if you put it up high. To be honest, this is only a big issue with genres like hip-hop. Vocals will sound warbly on songs that have a lot of bass. Also, they're quiet, something that the PX are not.

Here's my personal conclusion:
They still sound great. In some songs, I feel like they're actually really great, but in others, I miss the PX. I can't quite put my finger on it, but some songs just have something missing with these headphones. They don't sound that bad, they just left me a little dissapointed. The low volume and distortion disappointed me as well, but other things like build and comfort make me glad I bought them.
If you're looking for a good pair of headphones that are very comfortable, you should try these out. In general, the audio quality is great with some shortfalls. My main issue with them is just the clarity and how they can sound a little muddled with the mids, but on certain songs I can swear that they're more pleasant to listen to than the PXs.
If you already have the PXs and feel like they're comfy, I'd say you could keep them. Both of these headphones sound great and have their own pros and cons, but you'd end up saving $300.

I don't have them side by side to do extremely analytical tests, but the only songs where I've tried comparing them are the ones that I am very familiar with and have listened to a lot on both headphones.
And as always, everything I say is my opinion. I'm not an audio pro, I just say what I hear and try to give a detailed explanation of their sound. I'm doing this comparison so you guys know what to expect, but my ears are still my own and what I've said is just what I feel about the sound. It's important to mention that with everything.

I'll be returning them and going for the DT1990's with an affordable DAC and amp. I feel like it'll be a good step into high-fi territory without spending much more than I've already spent on the Amirons.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #2,450 of 2,912
Lots of interesting posts, keep them coming. Headphones are perhaps the most intimate of tech items and it's important to get something that ticks as many of the boxes as possible. I often pair my headphones with my Apple watch and still marvel at the tech and the sound quality I get.

I only have the Sennheiser PXC-500s and the PX. They're both great and the only thing better on the 550s is the level of comfiness plus they are lighter. Saying that, it takes a long time for the PX to be on my ears (4 hours or so) before they start to feel uncomfy, and it's not often I'll have such a lengthy listening session. I can't believe it's been 2 years since the 550s have been released; I've had mine about a year. I've often looked at the Sonys but was put off by the initial band cracking issue on the mark 1 version. I needn't have that worry with the PX or 550s.

I forgot, one other thing about the 550s is that they'll still work with a cable when the battery dies. Overall I'm happy with what I have and can't see myself upgrading to anything else soon. I did like the H9i but the capacitive earcup was broken. When I took them back to the store I exchanged them for the PX which at £119 cheaper gave me some store credit also. I could have got that money refunded but bought some t-shirts and underwear instead. It's a huge store with many departments and the return of the H9i was the only time I've ever had to exchange anything there. It's a good store and they let you try on the different phones.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #2,451 of 2,912
I gelled nicely with my PXs as the weekend wore on and in fact by late Saturday night I was getting pretty blown away at times. The Sonys are going back.

One really memorable (dare I even say magical) moment was listening to Bob Marley and the Wailers debut album, Natty Dread. The large ensemble, which I'm sure was mostly recorded live with a lot of room in the mix nicely demonstrated how great the imaging, detail, and instrument separation on these headphones are. The headphones are super revealing and the detail is exquisite: I could hear 'string noise' on guitars and basses, for example.

Whether real or just perceived, the 'tinny' or 'boxy' quality that I and some other have mentioned seemed to disappear after 12+ hours of either listening or just letting the phones sit with music still playing. I was directly comparing with my other headphones the whole time, so it's a bit hard to imagine it was purely acclimation on my part, but who knows? I'd say that the Sonys still have a bit stronger bass, which is to my liking, but the detail and imaging are not as good. The PX respond to eq adjustments nicely, anyway. They seem to be tuned for maximum details in the mids with a bit of excitement in the presence region around 7-9kHz. They pull nice detail out of the bass fundamentals, i.e., you can really clearly hear what's going on with the bass guitar, but they don't have quite the degree of physical impact I like to hear in the kick drums and toms. But I used the parametric eq in Roon to boost about 3dB around 90 Hz to good effect.

Speaking of Roon, the PX wear sensor worked a lot better with it on iOS than OSX and I was incidentally thrilled to notice for the first time that a recent update has finally introduced lock screen functionality.

The WH1000XM2 are no slouch. They sound very good and I do like the cushy earpads. But for an additional $100 (and just $50 until more recently) I think you easily get your money's worth in terms of build quality, design, and SQ with the PX. They provide a very revealing and immersive listening experience that easily goes anywhere.

The case kinda sucks though. It's not clear to me that anyone is truly happy with an aftermarket solution and I'd be glad to hear more about that.

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #2,452 of 2,912
The case kinda sucks though. It's not clear to me that anyone is truly happy with an aftermarket solution and I'd be glad to hear more about that.

Good post.

Anyway, the case issue hasn't gone away as there's no definitive shell out there that we can all agree on that's the right fit, unless I've missed something.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #2,453 of 2,912
Good post.

Anyway, the case issue hasn't gone away as there's no definitive shell out there that we can all agree on that's the right fit, unless I've missed something.

Thanks for confirming that. It's possible that it won't ultimately matter for me because I may continue using IEMs for travel depending on what I can find to replace my ten year old UEs and how it fares in usage.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #2,454 of 2,912
Lots of interesting posts, keep them coming. Headphones are perhaps the most intimate of tech items and it's important to get something that ticks as many of the boxes as possible. I often pair my headphones with my Apple watch and still marvel at the tech and the sound quality I get.

I only have the Sennheiser PXC-500s and the PX. They're both great and the only thing better on the 550s is the level of comfiness plus they are lighter. Saying that, it takes a long time for the PX to be on my ears (4 hours or so) before they start to feel uncomfy, and it's not often I'll have such a lengthy listening session. I can't believe it's been 2 years since the 550s have been released; I've had mine about a year. I've often looked at the Sonys but was put off by the initial band cracking issue on the mark 1 version. I needn't have that worry with the PX or 550s.

I forgot, one other thing about the 550s is that they'll still work with a cable when the battery dies. Overall I'm happy with what I have and can't see myself upgrading to anything else soon. I did like the H9i but the capacitive earcup was broken. When I took them back to the store I exchanged them for the PX which at £119 cheaper gave me some store credit also. I could have got that money refunded but bought some t-shirts and underwear instead. It's a huge store with many departments and the return of the H9i was the only time I've ever had to exchange anything there. It's a good store and they let you try on the different phones.
Yes, I feel that a headphone is like your companion. You’re going to be spending hours each day listening to them, watching movies, YouTube, etc. probably for the next few years so you need to find the right ones for you.
Good choice with the H9i, I personally thing that it’s worth nowhere near it’s price point. I got mine at $415 and simply couldn’t see a reason to keep them.
The Amiron Wireless also work without a cable, which I find useful for desktop listening. But personally, if I was just going to listen at my computer I think that there are much better choices out there.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #2,455 of 2,912
I intend to keep the MDR1000 for my travel use as I think they are better ANC phones than the PX.

The PX I may keep as my wireless phones for home, where I do not really need ANC, as I think they sound much better musically than the Sonys.
That’s exactly what I do.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #2,456 of 2,912
Do any of you guys have AirPods? They’re really the best thing if you need something super mobile. Obviously, they probably won’t cut it for air travel or long trips but I don’t know what I’d do without them for quick errands or just day to day use.
(And they get LOUD. Something that a lot of wireless headphones nowadays can’t do apparantely).

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #2,457 of 2,912
I've got AirPods but honestly don't use them much. My Sennheiser momentun free's are a much better option. The sound quality blows the AirPods away.

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,459 of 2,912
Do any of you guys have AirPods? They’re really the best thing if you need something super mobile. Obviously, they probably won’t cut it for air travel or long trips but I don’t know what I’d do without them for quick errands or just day to day use.
(And they get LOUD. Something that a lot of wireless headphones nowadays can’t do apparantely).
AirPods?! Shoeski! Get it together, soldier! :L3000:

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #2,460 of 2,912
AirPods?! Shoeski! Get it together, soldier! :L3000:
I just thought they'd be worth mentioning since you guys were talking about travel/mobility.
They definitely aren't something that I'd sit down on my couch or desk and listen to; they're more convenient than anything.
Anyways, I don't want to sidetrack this thread too much. It's all about the PX and I'm here talking about AirPods!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back