Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Aug 21, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #2,416 of 2,912
I'll take your word on that, Diamond Dave! If you invite me to the next birthday party at your Pasadena estate, I'll definitely go, lol.

New phones arrive on Friday and I'll share my impressions after what promises to be a very enjoyable weekend of listening.
Consider yourself there! Just tell the guy at the gate I said you're invited. If you get arrested, not my fault! :L3000:

Make sure you give the PX some time to get comfortable. It took me a bit to get the fit I liked that was comfortable for long listening sessions. The Sony is good too, so whatever your preference, I think you'll be satisfied with one of them.

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,417 of 2,912
I am very curious about the Amiron Wireless. Those Tesla drivers in a Bluetooth config has had me intrigued since release. I wish I could hear them locally, I may have sprung for them instead of PX. But I dont know, I would love to hear some thoughts on them. I haven't seen much talk about them anywhere. Tho to be fair I haven't looked real hard.

I've been reading up on the Amiron and does appeal but would be limited to home listening. Definitely not something I'd want to regularly cart about whether wearing them or storing them in a cabin case.

If I was in the market for a wireless home unit then I'd probably purchase the Amiron, as of today.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #2,418 of 2,912
I ordered the Amiron Wireless yesterday, so they should come tomorrow.
I'll do my best to give an analytical review on it, but as always, my thoughts are just and they shouldn't be taken as fact.
The carrying case is definitely big, but I don't think I would say that it's limited for home listening. That's what the Amiron Home is for, after all.
I see the Wireless as being portable if you need them to be, but primarily enjoying music around the house. I wouldn't hesitate to bring them with me to class or on a trip, though. While I do have AirPods for that, the luxury of having a high end pair of headphones with you by your side is very convenient and reassuring. Listening to quality music without flooding the ears of everyone else (something that the AirPods do very well) is definitely a plus for me.
They can also be driven easily from your phone's headphone jack, or in my case lightning to 3.5mm adapter. I really hope that the controls will work with that adapter, unlike the ones on the PX.
I recommend anyone buy them now if they're planning to do so - Amazon has them for $100 off right now, which is pretty rare for headphones this new.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2,419 of 2,912
I ordered the Amiron Wireless yesterday, so they should come tomorrow.
I'll do my best to give an analytical review on it, but as always, my thoughts are just and they shouldn't be taken as fact.
The carrying case is definitely big, but I don't think I would say that it's limited for home listening. That's what the Amiron Home is for, after all.
I see the Wireless as being portable if you need them to be, but primarily enjoying music around the house. I wouldn't hesitate to bring them with me to class or on a trip, though. While I do have AirPods for that, the luxury of having a high end pair of headphones with you by your side is very convenient and reassuring. Listening to quality music without flooding the ears of everyone else (something that the AirPods do very well) is definitely a plus for me.
They can also be driven easily from your phone's headphone jack, or in my case lightning to 3.5mm adapter. I really hope that the controls will work with that adapter, unlike the ones on the PX.
I recommend anyone buy them now if they're planning to do so - Amazon has them for $100 off right now, which is pretty rare for headphones this new.
Back up to $699. :\

It'd be nice to have your opinion on how they compare, sound-wise, to the PX. Comfort, I'm sure will be better, since it looks like a ball of soft.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #2,420 of 2,912
Await your review on the Amiron's!

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #2,421 of 2,912
Oh, wow. The sale only lasted for like two days

I got them and I'm in the process of testing them, but so far I have some negative things to say. They're not about the headphone, but rather the customer support.
Apparently these have volume indicators for maximum and minimum volume, which is neat. What's not neat is that the included manual says nothing whatsoever about them and hearing your audio cut out proceeded by a beeping sound is pretty startling. The beeps also cut the audio out partially instead of just playing a beep over the audio.
So, I call support. They pick up, guy is super nice, and says he will talk with the "technicians". We talk for a few minutes, and he confirms multiple times that beeps should not be occurring. I think, "Ok. Great. I'll need to return them online. This sucks." He tells me to charge them and see if the issue still occurs. I decide to see if I hear a beep when I turn the volume off, and I do. I then realize that I was being dumb and that they are volume indicators, so I call back and tell him. He then talks to the technicians again and says that beeps should not be happening. I'm back at square one and worrying.

I do a quick Google search of "amiron wireless volume indicator", find a manual, search for "volume" and I get this:
"An acoustic signal indicates the achieved maximum"
"An acoustic signal indicates the achieved minimum"

Really wish that the support would actually know about their product. They tried to be helpful, but it's pretty embarrassing when the technicians don't know something that's found on the online paperwork.

I'll make another post about what I think of the sound. I haven't had enough time with them yet.
So far, here's what I've concluded:
Volume isn't too loud, but it is sufficient. When going to the maximum volume level, the audio drops, you hear a beep (only if the song isn't loud) and then resumes to being loud again.
The only "con" I have so far are the volume indicators. Some may see it as a pro, but I don't prefer them. Everything else is just fine for now. Build, comfort, etc.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,422 of 2,912
Oh, wow. The sale only lasted for like two days

I got them and I'm in the process of testing them, but so far I have some negative things to say. They're not about the headphone, but rather the customer support.
Apparently these have volume indicators for maximum and minimum volume, which is neat. What's not neat is that the included manual says nothing whatsoever about them and hearing your audio cut out proceeded by a beeping sound is pretty startling. The beeps also cut the audio out partially instead of just playing a beep over the audio.
So, I call support. They pick up, guy is super nice, and says he will talk with the "technicians". We talk for a few minutes, and he confirms multiple times that beeps should not be occurring. I think, "Ok. Great. I'll need to return them online. This sucks." He tells me to charge them and see if the issue still occurs. I decide to see if I hear a beep when I turn the volume off, and I do. I then realize that I was being dumb and that they are volume indicators, so I call back and tell him. He then talks to the technicians again and says that beeps should not be happening. I'm back at square one and worrying.

I do a quick Google search of "amiron wireless volume indicator", find a manual, search for "volume" and I get this:
"An acoustic signal indicates the achieved maximum"
"An acoustic signal indicates the achieved minimum"

Really wish that the support would actually know about their product. They tried to be helpful, but it's pretty embarrassing when the technicians don't know something that's found on the online paperwork.

I'll make another post about what I think of the sound. I haven't had enough time with them yet.
So far, here's what I've concluded:
Volume isn't too loud, but it is sufficient. When going to the maximum volume level, the audio drops, you hear a beep (only if the song isn't loud) and then resumes to being loud again.
The only "con" I have so far are the volume indicators. Some may see it as a pro, but I don't prefer them. Everything else is just fine for now. Build, comfort, etc.
Some questions I have during your testing:

1) What parts are metal? I've read conflicting reviews on the ear cups; some indicate it's plastic, while others confidently state it's metal.
2) How's the bass compared to the PX? Some reviews indicate it's a bit light on the bass.
3) Is it tuned as a bright headphone? I enjoy the B&W signature, which is usually a warm, rich sound, yet still rife with detail.
4) Wide soundstage for a closed back?
5) Can you listen with a USB digital connection on your computer AND still stay connected to your Bluetooth device (i.e. Phone) so you can still get incoming calls? I love how the PX can do this.

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #2,423 of 2,912
Some questions I have during your testing:

1) What parts are metal? I've read conflicting reviews on the ear cups; some indicate it's plastic, while others confidently state it's metal.
2) How's the bass compared to the PX? Some reviews indicate it's a bit light on the bass.
3) Is it tuned as a bright headphone? I enjoy the B&W signature, which is usually a warm, rich sound, yet still rife with detail.
4) Wide soundstage for a closed back?
5) Can you listen with a USB digital connection on your computer AND still stay connected to your Bluetooth device (i.e. Phone) so you can still get incoming calls? I love how the PX can do this.

I would be curious to know a lot of that too... Number 2 more than anything... Everything I have seen is that the Tesla drivers are light on the bass... I am so annoying by that. NO reason they can't make a headphone with VISCERAL bass but still be balanced and not have it bleed or be muddy. Just because a lot of people who listen to music critically listen to instrumental type of music be it classical, jazz, etc... But that is not everyone. Some of us want BASS but still want a smooth, clean, clear sound. At least that is my viewpoint of it.

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #2,424 of 2,912
Back up to $699. :\

It'd be nice to have your opinion on how they compare, sound-wise, to the PX. Comfort, I'm sure will be better, since it looks like a ball of soft.
I have owned both the PX and the P7W, but never at the same time. Which do you prefer and why? I'm toying with the idea of getting a P7W again. I would get a PX again except for the terrible comfort, most uncomfortable headphone I have ever owned which is sad as I loved the sound. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the P7W gives up in terms of sound quality versus the PX. Thanks for your thoughts, it is great when you can compare directly as you can. Cheers.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #2,425 of 2,912
I have owned both the PX and the P7W, but never at the same time. Which do you prefer and why? I'm toying with the idea of getting a P7W again. I would get a PX again except for the terrible comfort, most uncomfortable headphone I have ever owned which is sad as I loved the sound. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the P7W gives up in terms of sound quality versus the PX. Thanks for your thoughts, it is great when you can compare directly as you can. Cheers.

They are different animals, but the same species. One is a Tiger, the other a Cheetah.

The P7W has more bass, a little warmer, and just has an overall thicker, richer sound. It's more aggressive.

The PX has a better soundstage, in fact one of the best I've heard wirelessly, and is more airy than the P7W. It's a bit more balanced, in that the bass is not as in-your-face, but it's still a warm leaning HP. Vocals and rock music sounds better on the PX.

The P7W is more comfortable, IMO, than the PX.

It's more preference than one being better than the other. I like both and find the P7W great for movies or high production value shows like Game of Thrones. Hip Hop, EDM, etc. = P7W. Rock, acoustic, vocals, jazz, etc. = PX.

IMG_1813.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #2,426 of 2,912
I am still in the process of testing them and I can't give a good analysis until I have a few more hours with them.
To answer your questions, hifi80sman:
1. The headband is (obviously) metal with the earcups being plastic externally. The plastic itself is very nice though - the nicest I've seen on any pair of headphones (albeit I haven't seen all that many headphones, but I still guarantee that it is nicer than anything else that is Bluetooth as of right now). The finish on it is very nice and there are no seam lines to be seen. The touch panel feels metal but it has a plastic coating over it so I can't exactly tell. There is a metal ring on the outside of the ear cup, if it matters to you.
They don't feel better than the PXs but they don't feel worse; the PXs approach build with raw materials and heft, while these do it differently. The tolerances are simply tighter (on most places) , and while plastic will make more noise than metal while moving, it will be drowned out by the sound anyways. The finish on all of the parts, and the touches like the Alcantara headband make you feel like you have a quality product. These headphones have a different sliding style than the H9is or the PXs. They have more movement so thus they aren't as rigid, which is a plus for me.
2. There is less bass. I made a paragraph about this earlier, but ditched it for lack of better description. The headphones are more airy (not in a sense of sound stage) and clear. I suppose the word "lofty" describes them well. They're not quite analytical, but they're sharper than the PXs. The bass is light, but also bouncy. These headphones are not made for bass heads who listen to hip hop or any music of the likes. While they fare well in all genres, they can rattle a bit once the volume is high and the prevalence of bass (especially sub-bass) is high. I'm not going to be too critical on that aspect of them - a lot of headphones do that. The PXs did a little (and a LOT while wired on the higher volumes for some reason), the H9is did it quite a bit as well. Listening to music on a high volume with a song with enough bass to rattle your balls will have distortion.
3. Slightly, but I wouldn't say it as a negative. The highs sound sharper to me, and thus are clearer than the PXs in my opinion, but the PXs make for that with their wider sound stage. Listening to "s" or "f" sounds are completely comfortable to me and I have yet to strain my ears with these headphones.
4. Yes. I don't have many headphones to compare, but from my experience and from what I do have they definitely have a wide sound stage. They don't quite match the PXs, which put a whole new meaning on the word "earcup".
5. I have not tried that yet but I'll be sure to do it sometime tomorrow.
If you have any more questions just ask. I'm not the best at describing sound since I'm new to high-fidelity audio (or at least as high as you can get with Bluetooth lol) so my apologies for my absence of better quality descriptions.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #2,427 of 2,912
They are different animals, but the same species. One is a Tiger, the other a Cheetah......

It's more preference than one being better than the other. ..... Hip Hop, EDM, etc. = P7W. Rock, acoustic, vocals, jazz, etc. = PX.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply and I think bang on what my distant memory impressions were (having owned them at different times). I do have to say that I loved the P7W, it was the real deal for sure. I seem to like the whole English audio reproduction ethos in so much as one can say one exists. I am missing some for sure but man have I owned a lot of UK gear, Creek, AudioLab, Graham Slee, Castle, Neat, KEF, B&W. I think the PX was a fantastic sounding headphone, really loved it, but B&W reps anybody if you are cruising these forums, please get the comfort to the level of the sound and the skies the limit. There has to be a way that some pressure can be taken off of the seal and not lose enough pressure control to threaten the headphone tuning.

I say that out of respect and not being critical for the sake of being critical. I would give my left arm (well not literally) to have been able to keep the PX. I couldn't even really get to truly enjoy it, and yet I thought it sounded amazing, because the comfort made it a little too difficult. I also know that for many people the PX comfort is acceptable to good, so I'm not trying to say this will be true for everybody. I think it is such a well tuned headphone that if somebody is curious you just have to try. So if you are considering the PX don't not try just because some random people on the Internet felt the PX wasn't comfortable, if you can return or resell easily, you just have to try them out and see. I always take risks with gear, the vast majority of the time I have ended up very pleased with what I have tried.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #2,428 of 2,912
I listen to EDM on PX - but I run Tidal and Google Play through through UAPP and use the EQ and ToneBooster to add a bit of sub bass and sparkle. Makes them perfect for my taste in a Bluetooth headphone.

Aug 24, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #2,429 of 2,912
Ok I just managed to listen to the Bose QC 35 II and I once again noticed how bad some reviewers are. First of all, many reviewers complained that the PX changes its sound signature (for the worse) when ANC is activated. But the Bose do that too (for the better though)! With ANC on maximum, the QC 35 retain a little more spaciousness than the PX, the latter sounding a bit more compressed. With ANC switched off, the PX obliterate the QC 35. It's not even funny. Imaging, detail and separation aren't even remotely on the same level. When we switch to low ANC on the Bose and the B&W PX in office mode, the difference in quality is still apparent. Only from city mode upwards, the PX start to sound more compressed than the QC. But then again, B&W's noice cancellation is superior.

Yes, the Bose QC 35 II with its typical Bose signature is pleasant to listen to. And it's comfy.But the recessed lower mids, peaky upper mids and plasticky treble are very unsatisfying, when you're used to higher end gear. For me, the B&W PX are the better choice. Better materials, better design, better sound. For the approximate same amount of money.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,430 of 2,912
Thanks for the thoughtful reply and I think bang on what my distant memory impressions were (having owned them at different times). I do have to say that I loved the P7W, it was the real deal for sure. I seem to like the whole English audio reproduction ethos in so much as one can say one exists. I am missing some for sure but man have I owned a lot of UK gear, Creek, AudioLab, Graham Slee, Castle, Neat, KEF, B&W. I think the PX was a fantastic sounding headphone, really loved it, but B&W reps anybody if you are cruising these forums, please get the comfort to the level of the sound and the skies the limit. There has to be a way that some pressure can be taken off of the seal and not lose enough pressure control to threaten the headphone tuning.

I say that out of respect and not being critical for the sake of being critical. I would give my left arm (well not literally) to have been able to keep the PX. I couldn't even really get to truly enjoy it, and yet I thought it sounded amazing, because the comfort made it a little too difficult. I also know that for many people the PX comfort is acceptable to good, so I'm not trying to say this will be true for everybody. I think it is such a well tuned headphone that if somebody is curious you just have to try. So if you are considering the PX don't not try just because some random people on the Internet felt the PX wasn't comfortable, if you can return or resell easily, you just have to try them out and see. I always take risks with gear, the vast majority of the time I have ended up very pleased with what I have tried.
Not sure if you saw the post, but there is a third party ear pad manufacturer cruising the forum with a 1st Gen ear pad for the PX, although it's still using double sided adhesive. If they can go magnetic, I'd give it a try. I'm not sure if B&W will manufacture "XL" pads, but really, all they really need to do is just add a thicker/wider foam to the existing plastic ring. It may change the signature a bit, but I would market as "GO BEAST or GO HOME".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back