Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Aug 24, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #2,431 of 2,912
I just spent about thirty seconds checking out the new Blood Orange on my newly arrived PX. Still at work so I can't test in depth yet but I'm already quite impressed with the SQ just in terms of clarity and imaging, and I don't expect the comfort factor will be a dealbreaker for me. Of course I need to have them on for an hour or two before I make any conclusions but they didn't feel too bad and I don't consider myself overly sensitive about such things. Count me in on cushier pads that magnetically attach, though!

Haven't listened to the Sonys yet because they need charging out of the box, but I did try them on. Definitely cushier, but at the same time they felt more suction-ey to me.

Aug 24, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #2,432 of 2,912
The stock pads do get better!

Aug 24, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #2,434 of 2,912
I just spent about thirty seconds checking out the new Blood Orange on my newly arrived PX. Still at work so I can't test in depth yet but I'm already quite impressed with the SQ just in terms of clarity and imaging, and I don't expect the comfort factor will be a dealbreaker for me. Of course I need to have them on for an hour or two before I make any conclusions but they didn't feel too bad and I don't consider myself overly sensitive about such things. Count me in on cushier pads that magnetically attach, though!

Haven't listened to the Sonys yet because they need charging out of the box, but I did try them on. Definitely cushier, but at the same time they felt more suction-ey to me.
The Sony will heat up faster, if you're sensitive to that.

The PX, oddly, are more uncomfortable in the first 10 mins than the trailing 50 mins. I can definitely say I've adapted to the (average) comfort, so it's not a deal-breaker for me. Depending on your taste, it's arguably in the top few best wireless HPs in terms of sound, competing against its brother, the P7W.

The Sony WH-H900N, to me, actually sounds better than the 1000XM2, however, because I use them for travel, the 1000XM2 fit my needs better. The ANC on the WH-900N is pedestrian.

The PX actually have prime-time ANC, both subjectively and objectively (measurements).

Aug 24, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #2,435 of 2,912
Hope they'll get softer. So far, getting a good deal with tick-framed glasses is a challenge
I had glasses, but they just got in the way of my hobby too much that I desensitized my eyes to use contacts. If you have myopia, you may benefit by wearing contacts.

The pads do get better over time. I returned my first pair due to comfort issues, tried the B&O H9 & H9i, then decided to come back to the PX because of issues with the B&Os. If you stick with it, I think you'll find a good enough fit. I can't get this sound anywhere else, so I was focused on making it work this time. Plus, the benefit of USB digital audio connection to my computer AND still hooked up via BT to my phone, was really attractive, as was the 768kHz upsampling.

Aug 25, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #2,436 of 2,912
Hi

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a pair of these which I have been using in wired mode with the Quad DAC in an LG G7 phone. It really is quite a different experience, even when compared to aptx-HD on the same phone.

Many of the reviews of these 'phones have compared them only to other NC options such as Bose QC's (used to own) and Sony MDR 1000 (still have Mk 1 versions) but I do not really see them in that space. To me, they are more a headphone for music, either as excellent wireless or even better wired, that also offer a degree of ANC as part of the bargain. The Sony and Bose are more ANC first, everything else second, it seems to me.

Anyway, just thought I would offer that - if you have a DAC etc handy, try them wired and see what you think! Maybe I am just talking nonsense.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but if anyone has a pair of Sennheiser HD600 or 650, I would be interested in an opinion of the sound vs the PX. No shops near where I live, so can't try them and fancy some laid back jazz cans for home use. Mainly on the G7 DAC/amp again.

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #2,437 of 2,912
Ok I just managed to listen to the Bose QC 35 II and I once again noticed how bad some reviewers are. First of all, many reviewers complained that the PX changes its sound signature (for the worse) when ANC is activated. But the Bose do that too (for the better though)! With ANC on maximum, the QC 35 retain a little more spaciousness than the PX, the latter sounding a bit more compressed. With ANC switched off, the PX obliterate the QC 35. It's not even funny. Imaging, detail and separation aren't even remotely on the same level. When we switch to low ANC on the Bose and the B&W PX in office mode, the difference in quality is still apparent. Only from city mode upwards, the PX start to sound more compressed than the QC. But then again, B&W's noice cancellation is superior.

Yes, the Bose QC 35 II with its typical Bose signature is pleasant to listen to. And it's comfy. But the recessed lower mids, peaky upper mids and plasticky treble are very unsatisfying, when you're used to higher end gear. For me, the B&W PX are the better choice. Better materials, better design, better sound. For the approximate same amount of money.

Agree, this is my view on the PX vs. the QX 35II too. And on most reviewers too btw... :weary:
I don't have any issues with the fit & comfort of the PX. And it does get better over time but I'm not sure if this is because the pads change or because your head is getting used to them more. Doesn't really matter either as the end-result is the same.

I find myself using ANC much less than I thought I would. Not because of the impact on sound quality but because the passive noise cancelling from the PX turns out to be more than enough for me in most situations. At home, the office or outside (apart from the noisiest places) I don't mind - or even prefer - some outside noise to filter through in the background. In really noisy places like trains and airplanes ANC is a great 'extra feature' and that's how and when I use it. I use my PX with ANC off 90% of the time.

Based on how it works, it's inevitable that ANC hurts sound quality. At first listen, Bose does hide the negative effects better than B&W. But the more ANC is turned up, the more processing is going on to mask the ill effects making the sound clearly more unnatural and artificial too. A sound that is already way behind the PX to start with. I'm not so sure which trade-off I prefer, hearing the hit on SQ from the ANC more like B&W does, or hearing the effect of the 'countermeasures' more that make the sound more plastic, lifeless and artificial like Boze does. There is something to say for both approaches obviously.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #2,438 of 2,912
Hi

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a pair of these which I have been using in wired mode with the Quad DAC in an LG G7 phone. It really is quite a different experience, even when compared to aptx-HD on the same phone.

Many of the reviews of these 'phones have compared them only to other NC options such as Bose QC's (used to own) and Sony MDR 1000 (still have Mk 1 versions) but I do not really see them in that space. To me, they are more a headphone for music, either as excellent wireless or even better wired, that also offer a degree of ANC as part of the bargain. The Sony and Bose are more ANC first, everything else second, it seems to me.

Anyway, just thought I would offer that - if you have a DAC etc handy, try them wired and see what you think! Maybe I am just talking nonsense.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but if anyone has a pair of Sennheiser HD600 or 650, I would be interested in an opinion of the sound vs the PX. No shops near where I live, so can't try them and fancy some laid back jazz cans for home use. Mainly on the G7 DAC/amp again.

Welcome. The PX wireless vs. wired and external DACs. Interesting topics.

I've asked B&W UK a number of questions around this. They are very responsive and clear in their answers. Some interesting 'good-to-knows' :

- The PX is designed and optimized as a wireless Bluetooth headphone with ANC
- The PX does not support passive mode in any state, Bluetooth, USB or Aux (add my be: this is why the PX always needs power, battery or USB)
- The incoming signal always goes through the internal DAC & signal processing (so regardless the type of connection)
- Audio playback via USB is to allow for continued playback during charging
- The USB wired interface is limited to 16 bit 48K PCM
- SBC, AptX and AAC are also limited to 16 bit 48K PCM
- The AptX HD interface supports 24 bit 48K PCM
- The best possible sound quality from the PX is via AptX HD
- As the signal always goes through the internal DAC and digital signal processing, any potential improvements of an external DAC may well be nullified (add my be: not to be confused with sounding different)

Again, this is B&W UK talking, not me... :)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #2,439 of 2,912
Yes I have seen similar answers somewhere - here probably.

It may all be true and indeed possibly is. However...going by what my ears tell me, the PX sounds WAY better (and louder for that matter just as a passing comment) when played wired through the Quad DAC on the phone than when connected wireless.

Far be it for my ears to disagree with B&W's engineers :scream:, but they tell me that the best possible sound is not, in fact, via aptx-HD.

Have you tried it yourself via a DAC?

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #2,440 of 2,912
Have you tried it yourself via a DAC?
Only a Dragonfly Red very briefly in a shop. Too short to have a valid opinion. That said, I bought the PX as a wireless headphone with ANC. While very interesting and fun to play around with, wiring up an external DAC kinda kills the reason I bought it. For wired use and chasing sound quality there are many passive headphones that are better than the PX. And cheaper too.

USB wired plays significantly louder than Bluetooth from my laptop or iPhone. Always tricky. When I figured out the identical volume level between USB and BT AptX (4 keystrokes +/- in my case), the 'striking difference' gets a lot smaller. I don't have an AptX HD source yet. Going back & forth between USB and AptX, USB seems to have slightly cleaner treble and a touch more bass extention. But the difference is a lot smaller than I expected/hoped... and it requires a good recording to hear it in the first place. Not worth getting wired for. Looking forward to try AptX HD though.

I think there's nothing wrong with your ears disagreeing with B&W. But, as these guys designed and make the thing - and do know a thing or two about audio and digital signal processing as a company - I think their information is interesting at least. But at the end of the day, sound (quality) perception remains very subjective and personal too.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #2,441 of 2,912
I had glasses, but they just got in the way of my hobby too much that I desensitized my eyes to use contacts. If you have myopia, you may benefit by wearing contacts.

The pads do get better over time. I returned my first pair due to comfort issues, tried the B&O H9 & H9i, then decided to come back to the PX because of issues with the B&Os. If you stick with it, I think you'll find a good enough fit. I can't get this sound anywhere else, so I was focused on making it work this time. Plus, the benefit of USB digital audio connection to my computer AND still hooked up via BT to my phone, was really attractive, as was the 768kHz upsampling.

Sadly I'm half blind (annoyingly I get no usable vision, but do get light so the eye gets tired like normal) so contacts do nothing for me. Also as I am stuck in front of a computer for 7 out of 8 hours at work I need to wear glasses most of the time. I far prefer headphones to iems (even customs) but as there are often comfort issues with glasses it's back to iems I go.

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #2,442 of 2,912
pm4MH1al.jpg

such a beauty...

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #2,445 of 2,912
Early impressions:

BLUETOOTH WIRELESS HEADPHONES WOO HOOO! It is really liberating to be untethered. I can leave my devices where they are and move pretty much anywhere around the house..

I spent a few hours last night A/B/Ying the PX, WH1000XM2, and Sony MDR 7520 (wired). Mostly rock music: The Damned, David Bowie, The Police, Rush..and a little bit of hip hop to highlight the lows: Tribe Called Quest. I also listened to an MLB.tv broadcast which is something I do a lot around the house.

The PX are very enjoyable and certainly detailed. I have to say, though, that I feel that detail and airiness are primarily due to a hyped high end (7k+) and that these might be a tad heavy on sizzle. Cymbals are maybe a bit too prominent. On the other end of the spectrum the bass seems to lack a bit of heft compared to the 1000s, which so far I think might have a more suitable and balanced signature for my tastes and they still provide good detail. The PX almost sound a bit tinny right after switching to them from the Sonys but I get used to them after a few minutes and find them perfectly enjoyable. The 7520s, for me, were sitting right in the middle of the two like a perfect bowl of porridge, but the other two definitely sound good enough that I'm happy in most situations to make the tradeoff for wireless convenience.

That said, I really WANT to prefer the PX because they are just a nice piece of workmanship. Really beautiful. B&W emphasize the need for burn in and I definitely recognize the need to acclimate to new phones or speakers. So I'm hoping that they will get better and really smooth out across the spectrum for me. I will make sure they get at least 24 hours of burn in before drawing any conclusions about SQ.

Features are nice on both. My favorite player to use at home is Roon and unfortunately it and both these phones don't really play together. I will contact Roon to request that they build better BT phone support into their code. Listening on my iMac, the PX sensor would not stop Roon when I took the phones off, and doubly frustrating, they would actually open and start playing iTunes on top of Roon when I put them back on. So I had to shut off the sensor. Not really a big deal. The PX played a lot better with my iOS devices w/ iTunes or Tidal. I dig the touch features on the 1000s--I prefer it to buttons for transport functions. I'd also give them an edge on comfort and NC performance, but really both are just fine and a big leap forward for me in terms of features. SQ is going to decide which one stays with me, and I'm rooting for the PX. But honestly, if the headphone police shook me down for one of the two right this second, I might have to surrender the PX.

Will update after more listening/burn in. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back