Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Jun 22, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,006 of 1,155
Hello Tk33, can you please confirm me as well that within B&W PI7 android app you can see the apt-x HD codec in the app screen on yourbpixel pro not only in developer's option .
I have 3 different devices that can do aptx-hd (i verified on a older Sony bluetooth neckband) but none of them will connect to PI7 in aptx-hd modd

Thank you very much
Sure. Here you go. I have a Pixel 6 (not Pro). Screenshot from Bluetooth settings and the B&W Headphones app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622-085458.png
    Screenshot_20220622-085458.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220622-085443.png
    Screenshot_20220622-085443.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
Jun 22, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,007 of 1,155
Sure. Here you go. I have a Pixel 6 (not Pro). Screenshot from Bluetooth settings and the B&W Headphones app.
Yep. Works with some devices, not others. B&W seemingly disinterested in finding a solution. Very disappointing indeed.

In my case (may have behaviour or A&K and Fiio mixed up)

A&K Kann. If to Aptx HD, just connects and disconnects automatically. Can force Apt X and works.

Fiio M7 - connects and disconnects. Can't get it to work.

Sony NWA105 - connects, but only AptX classic.

My B&W PX7s, which are also AptX Adaptive, connect via Aptx HD to all three sources without issue.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,008 of 1,155
Thank You TK33, you rock :)

I have ordered the KB9P usb dongle 24 bits/96Hz that has both aptx adaptive and aptx-hd codecs from Ali Express, I hope to get at least aptx-adaptive.
That's my last resort since my Samsung phone only play standard aptx codec.

I have a Xperia X compact (APTX-HD) , FIIO M11 Pro (APTX-HD), they only connect to the Pi7 with standard aptx, FIIO M11 Pro (I forced the connexion via a third party app so it might only be SBC i dont recall).

It s a shame the PI7 never got updated - yeah it 's old story- because they are very comfortable in my ears and sound good.
(Honestly no volume control and having to use the app to switch on/off transparency...that's so wrong...if they fixed those 2 small things that would be good enough for me)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #1,009 of 1,155
Well, i bought a Xperia phone that has both Aptx-Hd and aptx adaptive contrary
to my Samsung that has none.
Well aptx_hd still does NOT work with the PI7 with Xperia, but at least aptx-adaptive works this time .
That's really strange behaviour from Bowers&Wilkins

édit : no aptx hd either on Xperia phones with B&w PI7...very strange

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,010 of 1,155
I have had these for about 10 days now, and I love the sound, especially when using aptX HD over the BT-W3. Unfortunately, the earphones are also driving me crazy.

A few days ago I experienced something strange during my commute where the connection to my iPhone would drop and return about twice a second. It was like the buds were fighting each other over which one would become the master. In fact, I was able to verify that the iPhone was showing connection to two different PI7s at the same time (see picture). After a very annoying commute where I was unable to get them working properly for over an hour, they appeared to recover that evening after I connected them to a new device.

Since yesterday I have the opposite problem: neither bud wants to send audio to the other. I can get either bud to connect to a device and play audio (iPhone, Mac, iPad, PC, case, BT-W3). I also know the buds are seeing each other, because if I hit play/stop on the non-playing bud, it plays/stops. In addition, if I hear audio on the right bud, I can activate noise canceling by holding down on the left bud. However, neither bud will send audio to the "slave", so I only hear audio out of one bud. Meanwhile the battery continues to drain from both sides if I leave them both in.

Factory reset and device reboots have had no effect so far. I'd rather not give up on these, but I didn't sign up for a single earbud experience....

Attachments

• IMG_5797.jpg
    IMG_5797.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 15, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #1,011 of 1,155
I have had these for about 10 days now, and I love the sound, especially when using aptX HD over the BT-W3. Unfortunately, the earphones are also driving me crazy.

A few days ago I experienced something strange during my commute where the connection to my iPhone would drop and return about twice a second. It was like the buds were fighting each other over which one would become the master. In fact, I was able to verify that the iPhone was showing connection to two different PI7s at the same time (see picture). After a very annoying commute where I was unable to get them working properly for over an hour, they appeared to recover that evening after I connected them to a new device.

Since yesterday I have the opposite problem: neither bud wants to send audio to the other. I can get either bud to connect to a device and play audio (iPhone, Mac, iPad, PC, case, BT-W3). I also know the buds are seeing each other, because if I hit play/stop on the non-playing bud, it plays/stops. In addition, if I hear audio on the right bud, I can activate noise canceling by holding down on the left bud. However, neither bud will send audio to the "slave", so I only hear audio out of one bud. Meanwhile the battery continues to drain from both sides if I leave them both in.

Factory reset and device reboots have had no effect so far. I'd rather not give up on these, but I didn't sign up for a single earbud experience....
Is one the case? The buds should show as 1

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #1,012 of 1,155
Thanks for the reply.

This is with both out of the case. It doesn't always show up that way, but often does. Since the (i) button is the way to get to the screen where you can disconnect or forget the device, the only way to disconnect the second instance is by turning off Bluetooth completely.

I just tried connecting to the computer again after giving them 12 hours off, and I still have the same issue: sound out of the right bud only, but I can turn audio on and off by using the button on the left bud. If I then put the right bud back in the case by itself and reconnect, perfectly fine sound out of the left bud only. Then I can turn audio on and off by using the button on the right bud, but no sound out of the right bud.

Factory reset and reconnect, back to the exact same pattern with sound out of the right bud only. And exactly the same pattern with the iPhone, although at the moment I only see one instance of the PI7 on the Bluetooth menu....

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #1,013 of 1,155
Any comparison with MTW3?, they seem
to be on par soundwise, while Sennheiser have the better controls, apps and probably batter
life as well

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #1,014 of 1,155
Unfortunately, the PI7s never started working again. I was able to reproduce the same problem with listings for each piece from my desktop's PC menu. I think it it still clear there's a problem even though the page isn't in English. The bottom "Bowers & Wil" is the second earbud. It sometimes shows up with that cut-off spelling on the iPhone menu too.

Since the buds are unusable, I'm taking them back tomorrow (or sending them in for servicing, depending upon what the store says).

Attachments

• キャプチャ.jpg
    キャプチャ.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,016 of 1,155
What phones are people using for these? Considering switching from my iPhone to something else to get the most out of them.

I’m using an iPhone but connect to these using the creative bt-w3 plugged into the port (ddHifi lightning to usb c, then the Bluetooth dongle). APTX HD makes a massive difference over AAC to my ears.

Jul 31, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #1,017 of 1,155
I’m using an iPhone but connect to these using the creative bt-w3 plugged into the port (ddHifi lightning to usb c, then the Bluetooth dongle). APTX HD makes a massive difference over AAC to my ears.
Thanks for the reply. I actually just bought myself the by-w3 to use with my mac and it definitely opens these iems up. How do you find the bulk on the end of your phone in day to day use? Ever worried it will fall out or disconnect in your pocket?

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,019 of 1,155
How do you find the bulk on the end of your phone in day to day use? Ever worried it will fall out or disconnect in your pocket?

It’s pretty snug with the little L shaped adapter - adds maybe a cm to the bottom but haven’t really had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back