Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Jun 12, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #991 of 1,155
I agree. I question B&W’s commitment to this product, as we’re a year in with no EQ app.
Unfortunately connection issues might not be addressable through firmware, could be from many causes..
Yes, I have to admit is hard to love B&W headphones or earphones, and the company does not seem to want to support them through firmware.

I have both the PI7s and PX7s. Neither have seen recent firmware updates. The PI7s, to my ears, sound great but that is not enough, and is subject to a major caveat. They sound great when using them indoors. I have connection issues when out and about, which do not affect my other wireless earbuds (Senn Momentum TW2 or Galaxy Bud Pros). Also, they sound great, but not as good as they could be. Despite having three APT_X HD sources (A&K Kann, Fiio M7 and a Sony NW105 Walkman), the PI7s connect via aptx only or not at all. This is ludicrous, especially as my PX7 over ears from the same company connect via APT-X HD no problem. Contacting B&W online customer support was a waste of time, as I was informed that the issue was the sources, and, moreover, the rep had no problems connecting APTX-HD to his Samsung phone (impossible, as Samsung only support APT-X).

They are also a pain to use. Having to go to the app for transparency mode on the PI7s renders that feature unusable in my view. How difficult would it be to update the firmware so that the same command that currently turns ANC on and off was instead a cycle (ANC on, Auto ANC on, Transparency On, ANC off). Better still it would be nice to be able to change the controls on the earbuds.

PX7s are, overall, better to use than the PI7s, but the lack of an ambient mode during phone calls means these headphones cannot realistically be used for calls when out or about, or for Zoom calls.

So, it appears that unlike other manufacturers who add product features via firmware (eg Shure added EQ via the headphones rather than just via music played in their app in a firmware update) or improvements to existing features (virtually everyone else), B&W are content to let their products continue with minimal support until the next hardware iteration of a new model.

On the basis of my experience with the PI7s and PX7s, much as like the sound quality (mostly), I can't see myself investing in B&W headphones in the future.

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #992 of 1,155
Yes, I have to admit is hard to love B&W headphones or earphones, and the company does not seem to want to support them through firmware.

I have both the PI7s and PX7s. Neither have seen recent firmware updates. The PI7s, to my ears, sound great but that is not enough, and is subject to a major caveat. They sound great when using them indoors. I have connection issues when out and about, which do not affect my other wireless earbuds (Senn Momentum TW2 or Galaxy Bud Pros). Also, they sound great, but not as good as they could be. Despite having three APT_X HD sources (A&K Kann, Fiio M7 and a Sony NW105 Walkman), the PI7s connect via aptx only or not at all. This is ludicrous, especially as my PX7 over ears from the same company connect via APT-X HD no problem. Contacting B&W online customer support was a waste of time, as I was informed that the issue was the sources, and, moreover, the rep had no problems connecting APTX-HD to his Samsung phone (impossible, as Samsung only support APT-X).

They are also a pain to use. Having to go to the app for transparency mode on the PI7s renders that feature unusable in my view. How difficult would it be to update the firmware so that the same command that currently turns ANC on and off was instead a cycle (ANC on, Auto ANC on, Transparency On, ANC off). Better still it would be nice to be able to change the controls on the earbuds.

PX7s are, overall, better to use than the PI7s, but the lack of an ambient mode during phone calls means these headphones cannot realistically be used for calls when out or about, or for Zoom calls.

So, it appears that unlike other manufacturers who add product features via firmware (eg Shure added EQ via the headphones rather than just via music played in their app in a firmware update) or improvements to existing features (virtually everyone else), B&W are content to let their products continue with minimal support until the next hardware iteration of a new model.

On the basis of my experience with the PI7s and PX7s, much as like the sound quality (mostly), I can't see myself investing in B&W headphones in the future.
On the aptX HD issue, it seems to be related to the source device. Agree it is impossible that their Samsung phone was connected via aptX HD but the PI7s do connect via aptX HD to my Pixel 6. My other phones are aptX adaptive phones so it connects via aptX adaptive (I have found you cannot force aptX HD when paired to a device that has aptX adaptive).

I do agree with you that it is crazy that B&W has not put out any firmware updates with all the issues people have been having. The thing that drives me crazy is that sometimes the connection quality is not stable and you have to put them in the case and take them out again to get them to work. Drives me crazy because it usually happens at the most inopportune time.

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #993 of 1,155
One reason for so little activity at B&W, might be that several key Engineers jumped ship, and joined Apple….
I know they worked on the Airpod Max product development…
They could have a third party tie their EQ (or adapt), to B&W products….
Too bad….

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #994 of 1,155
If you're a basshead, have you looked at Powerbeats Pro?

I personally prefer V-shaped sound, but the Pros are kind of fun. You get used to the bass over time.

And checking this guide, they cover Vista 2 and Sony WF XB700 and have links to reviews.

Vista 2 - are the jack of all trades. You can make them sound balanced or amp up the bass with the EQ in the Jaybird app. I tried them once and really liked how many EQ modes you have to choose from, but again, listened to them in a more balanced or V-shaped EQ mode.

Sony WF XB700 - are supposedly super bassy to the point of being bloated, but that's kind of the point if you're a basshead no?

Personally, I'd always go with buds that have in-app EQ, but that's just me. :)
So after all this time and some vacations I wound up getting the XB700s then the Jabra Elite

My first foray into wireless BT EBs and I would have to say the Jabra's are better IMHO
They have cleaner bass, a more economical size and have a crisp high

The XB700s aren't bad per se' but they are bulkier and for the sound/bass to size ratio (if there is such a thing) I don't feel like I'm enveloped in bass considering what reviews and the size of them are. The Jabra's are a perfect combo for an BT EB. Still not better than wired tho IMO but it's a good sub when I'm running or on a plane.

Right now my inventory is:
-Yamaha MP200W**
-Sony MDR XB90EX
-Shure 215-CL
-Sony XB700s
-Jabra Elite 85ts**

Jun 19, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #995 of 1,155
I picked up the PI5 at Best Buy on sale for $170. I’ve been listening intensively to my PI7, to see if I really want to down this path again…
You know what, It’s nope, I just can’t deal with the hit/miss sound signature.
When they sound good (bass light song), then it’s (ok). I just can’t do a headphone that is so song dependent…
Very strange.. Taking them back unopened…
B&W…. Next pair allow the onboard DSP to accept a custom EQ setting, like Sennheiser M2 TWS…. Food for thought.
These have so much potential!!!

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #996 of 1,155
I picked up the PI5 at Best Buy on sale for $170. I’ve been listening intensively to my PI7, to see if I really want to down this path again…
You know what, It’s nope, I just can’t deal with the hit/miss sound signature.
When they sound good (bass light song), then it’s (ok). I just can’t do a headphone that is so song dependent…
Very strange.. Taking them back unopened…
B&W…. Next pair allow the onboard DSP to accept a custom EQ setting, like Sennheiser M2 TWS…. Food for thought.
These have so much potential!!!
Maybe you should try the Grell TWS/1. They sound very good and have also had a few updates so they might work for you.
I picked up à refurbished PI7 on amazon at 190 euros (dollars), I will try to give them à second chance at that new price and compare them

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #997 of 1,155
Maybe you should try the Grell TWS/1. They sound very good and have also had a few updates so they might work for you.
I picked up à refurbished PI7 on amazon at 190 euros (dollars), I will try to give them à second chance at that new price and compare them
I’d like to hear them, I believe Grell was a Sennheiser Engineer, so you know they’ve been well thought out…

Problem with the PI7’s, is when they do sound good, they are amazing..
However on many songs the bass is overwhelming. I’ve kept them for the great moments, I just avoid certain types of music….

Example.
Beethoven loves the bass register and drives that organic sound. Not so good on the PI7.. Obviously this can be EQ’d out, but no built in EQ..

Mozart on the other hand is glorious, his piano concerto 24 is to die for on the PI7.

Very strange transducers…

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #999 of 1,155
I Found an equalizer online for $10 per year today. It’s called Boom an works really well with the PI7’s..
These things are unbelievably good when EQ’ed…
Think I’ll keep the PI5’s too..
👍
Thanks for the heads up, have you also tried Wavelet ? (the free version has no ads and is quite complète too)
I am concernera by PI7 lacknof updates but i suppose since they were so expensive to begin with they sold just a few...not enough to warrant à good software support.
Dont the headphones PX7 have a EQ in the app too?

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #1,001 of 1,155
I received the B&W PI7 today...and I cannot connect them with Aptx-HD on my Sony Xperia X Compact only Aptx classic.
I have another pair of earbuds that i can connect witj Aptx-HD to the same smartphone.... So i am not sure why it s not working and what is the issue.
Apparently some pixel users manage to connect in in aptx-HD?

PS : The case connected via usb-c, only shows Aptx in the B&W android app.

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #1,002 of 1,155
Yep, I have a Sony A55 and connected only in Aptx.. Not only that, but the built in EQ doesn’t work in Aptx..
Looks like we’re back to the old format wars..
Sony vs Apple vs Broadcom vs..etc…
SACD vs DVDAudio
Beta vs VHS

Nothing changes, protecting their turf…

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #1,004 of 1,155
Sony A55 has their proprietary OS, not Android…
It’s becoming dead to me…
Still a huge Sony fan for some things..
Love my MDR-Z7’s
It's the PI7s, not Sony. They only connect aptx classic to my A&K KANN, Fiio M7 and Sony A105 (which is based on Android 9). My PX7s, over ears from the same company, all connect via aptx hd to all three sources.

B&W have known about these issues for a good time and have not addressed them. When reaching out to them, they simply blame the sources. No firmware updates to speak of for a very long time.

Inexcusable, really, in such expensive earbuds.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #1,005 of 1,155
On the aptX HD issue, it seems to be related to the source device. Agree it is impossible that their Samsung phone was connected via aptX HD but the PI7s do connect via aptX HD to my Pixel 6. My other phones are aptX adaptive phones so it connects via aptX adaptive (I have found you cannot force aptX HD when paired to a device that has aptX adaptive).

I do agree with you that it is crazy that B&W has not put out any firmware updates with all the issues people have been having. The thing that drives me crazy is that sometimes the connection quality is not stable and you have to put them in the case and take them out again to get them to work. Drives me crazy because it usually happens at the most inopportune time.
Hello Tk33, can you please confirm me as well that within B&W PI7 android app you can see the apt-x HD codec in the app screen on yourbpixel pro not only in developer's option .
I have 3 different devices that can do aptx-hd (i verified on a older Sony bluetooth neckband) but none of them will connect to PI7 in aptx-hd modd

Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back