Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #826 of 1,955
I am quite impressed with the build quality of these headphones.
i wonder if the user tried to stretch out the headband due to tight clamping force.

i have read in another thread that doing do might damage internal,component leading to failure.

At least one other report of this happening to someone.

All i know is this is the best sounding headphone I have heard in it's price range and the fact that is wireless blows me away!

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #827 of 1,955
I'm simply sharing my personal experiences without any bias. It's good that some of you are having a more positive outcomes than mine. My entire professional carrier is related to deal with suppliers quality issue in electronic and automotive industry, therefore I do apply my experience and the highest possible quality standards in my personal life. I don't like unnecessary compromises and value nothing less but the best. Unfortunately, majority manufacturers focus on maximizing profitability to satisfy share holders and generate personal gains in form or monetary rewords. Quality is being communicated in a form of meaningless phrases or slogans. There is a reason for a great number of European and US companies for moving their businesses to third world countries.
Also, this is my last post on this forum simply because of some of responses being a little too much on a personal level instead of a constructive professional criticism.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #828 of 1,955

Still, your single experience with these headphones is a personal anecdote and not representative of the experience of others.  I have a Cayin A-50T.  It was made in China ~10 years ago and has been going strong in my living room ever since.  Its internal point-to-point wiring is a marvel.  My P7ws are working flawlessly.  All Chinese manufacturing is perfect.  Get it?

The reality is many companies are using Chinese manufacturing not because they are cheaper but because they are better.  Look at Apple's mac pro pet project.  They face endless challenges pulling it off in the US because we really don't have the skilled workforce required.

"Cook said he believes the U.S. education system is failing to produce enough people with the skills needed for modern manufacturing processes."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/21/14037030/apple-made-in-america-failure

In other news:

I had 8 hours of train travel the other day.  I brought the P7s and mojo with me.  The time spent with the P7s was very enjoyable.   I probably got in a good 3+ hours of listening and never pulled the mojo out of my bag--bluetooth the whole time.  I'm thoroughly warmed up to these headphones and think they are the perfect travel companion.  Train noises faded away as I enjoyed my most played Spotify tracks of 2016.

These cans really work so well with modern music.  As hobbyist, it is easy to get carried away with comparisons and over analyzing things.  There is no reason one shouldn't be thrilled with these as their only headphones, if their primary focus is just enjoying music.  There is nothing offensive about them.  Their sound is so rich and full.  The more I listen, the more I want to compare them to my speakers--really want to try some crossfeed, asap.  If you can just sit back and enjoy what you are listening to, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed.

It is all in good fun, though.  If you love doing critical listening and comparisons, knock yourself out.  (The hobbyist part of me is definitely looking forward to comparing these to nightowls at can jam :D )  If you absolutely need to annihilate all background noise, I certainly won't tell you you are doing it wrong.  Enjoy everyone!

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #829 of 1,955
A rate of failed brand new products is alarming to me. I do not care where the product is made, however more than a half of items purchased I have return due to the quality issues. There is one common denominator, they were all manufactured in China, just as majority or products offered by retailers in this country. It's unfortunate that an average customer has a very little choice.

Do you own any Apple products? They're made in China too.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #830 of 1,955
I need the help of my Head-Fi community. I love my P7 Wireless. Nothing sounds anything like them. I have tried most of the wireless headphones discussed on this thread and have come to the conclusion that P7W is the best of the bunch.
The only problem is the ear cups are a little small which does not make them comfortible. I have been able to wear them for and hour before the pinch creeps in. I have until January 30th to take them back to BB. Largely I don't think that for $400 you should have to feel discomfort. So is a little discomfort to be expected or should i take them back and wait for this next round of new headphones that are coming out and see if something more comfortible hits the market.

Help me out. Give me some thoughts. Also anyone have any feedback on Masters & Dynamics MW60.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #831 of 1,955
So is a little discomfort to be expected or should i take them back

I guess this depends on your needs. I also find that my P7's get a bit uncomfortable after an hour or so but in some ways that's not a bad thing otherwise I would listen to them all night!
I think that mine have eased up a little after a month or so use. I can live with it, I love them too much to sell them - I agree with you that there is nothing close to them for audio quality, I also love the 'zero-plastic' quality and design....
The most comfortable set I have is actually not a set of cans but the Bose QC30's (ANC buds) which I just forget I am wearing, they sound great too... :)

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #832 of 1,955
The only problem is the ear cups are a little small which does not make them comfortible. I have been able to wear them for and hour before the pinch creeps in.

Sounds like the problem is that your whole ear doesn't fit in the cup.  If that is the case, I'm not sure you'll have much success with the p7w and maybe should move on to something else.

The issues I've had with comfort are the strong clamp and the headband making a sore spot on the top of my head.  Adjusting the headphones a touch larger then I naturally did mostly resolved these issues but I don't use them for more than a few hours at a time.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #833 of 1,955
  I am quite impressed with the build quality of these headphones.
i wonder if the user tried to stretch out the headband due to tight clamping force.

i have read in another thread that doing do might damage internal,component leading to failure.

At least one other report of this happening to someone.

All i know is this is the best sounding headphone I have heard in it's price range and the fact that is wireless blows me away!

I've had these headphones for a little over 2 weeks now, and I can now wear them for 4-5 hrs now until i feel like I want to give my ears a breather. Time is one of the aspects I guess, but stretching them also helped. In the first week, I put them on the original box (top and bottom) to loosen them up, this resulted into a light clamp which was so much more comfortable. I also tried stretching them with my hands. Just be careful though because I think I did something wrong I was stretching them with my hands and now there is a crease on top of the leather headband.

It's similar to what you would find on leather shoes. The crease is noticeable when stretching out, while it is not when you try to bring the earpads together. So far, I have not experienced any change in usability and sound quality because of this, only improved comfort. This aesthetic blemish is quite disappointing for me, however I try not to think of it much anymore since I can still enjoy the music and the headband would be overshadowed by the classy design of the overall headphone. 

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #834 of 1,955
Sonic Defender you did a great review of the Onkyo H500BT. Can you share your thoughts as to how they stack up when compared to the Bowers & Wilkins P7 & P5?

Thank you.

Sorry mate to just be getting to this, haven't read further to see if anybody else responded. The H500BT holds up easily against the P7 wireless in my view. I would still feel that across the board the P7 would win the SQ battle, but it is far closer than you might expect it would be. The H500BT is more portable, and more comfortable, looks less attention grabbing and is less money. The P7 has a bigger sound presence and feels the part to command the price difference.

The biggest difference in favour of the P7, and again, not a very big difference is the very accomplished layering it is capable of. Both have good quality bass, with the P7 edging the H500 a bit in terms of quantity and quality. The P7 has a well integrated sound signature and despite the obvious mid-bass emphasis with most material it still can sell you on the idea that everything is well balanced. Although it is difficult to make such things meaningful, if I was to say the P7 had a sound quality value of 8 I would put the H500 at 7 or 7.25. As of late I haven't been using the P7 as I have been taking the ONKYO out most as it just sounds darn good and is more portable so when rushing out for the bus I have been grabbing it the most.

If money isn't a concern, and a little less comfort is okay with you, the P7 isn't hard to justify at all. If you are on a tighter budget and willing to give up a little style and premium material feel the H500BT is far from a compromise, more like a choice.

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #835 of 1,955
yes, the whole notion that made in China, or much of Southeast Asia for that matter, is inherently inferior is in my experience baseless. Fifteen or twenty years ago, sure, not today, some of the very finest engineering and manufacturing happens in the these markets using arguably the best production facilities. I remember talking to a distributor for Creek Audio who make some products in the UK and their less expensive line in China and the distributor was frank and told me there were more quality control issues with the UK based production. Of course there Is always a range and some production will be shoddy from China, but you can bet the companies with solid reputations to uphold only work with the better facilities and companies. I have no issues with made in China labels on my gear (but I do sometimes wish some of the jobs lost could still remain in the west).

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #836 of 1,955
So a question for all of you. Have had mine for 1 week. Love the sound!
At first the forming force seemed kind of firm though not as severe as the wired model I demoed.
The ear pads also were softer than the wired model and overall comfort seemed better.
Now I find it feels borderline loose.
If I shake my head while it stays on, I feel the ear cups slide a bit though it won't fall office I bend over.. Very comfy though.
Is it possible listening in bed and dozing off could have damaged/loosen something or maybe the pads and headband are breaking in and softened up?
The clamp force was so strong on the wired model demo to point it hurt my jaw. These feel so different.

Anything I can do to make them tighter?

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #837 of 1,955
So a question for all of you. Have had mine for 1 week. Love the sound!
At first the forming force seemed kind of firm though not as severe as the wired model I demoed.
The ear pads also were softer than the wired model and overall comfort seemed better.
Now I find it feels borderline loose.
If I shake my head while it stays on, I feel the ear cups slide a bit though it won't fall office I bend over.. Very comfy though.
Is it possible listening in bed and dozing off could have damaged/loosen something or maybe the pads and headband are breaking in and softened up?
The clamp force was so strong on the wired model demo to point it hurt my jaw. These feel so different.

Anything I can do to make them tighter?
Get to a higher altitude.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #839 of 1,955

Users who are viewing this thread

Back