Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #796 of 1,955
Now that I've finally gone wireless I can never go back to wired-only.

I'm so feeling that brother. I can't even imagine a cabled headphone for true on the go use, never again. I fully believe that within say 3 to maybe 5 years only inexpensive portable headphones will have cables as the primary data connection. The consumer market has spoken loud and clear as is evidenced by the explosion of not only companies making BT headphones, but the sheer number of models and caliber of quality now available. Cables in a portable environment offer no advantage, in fact they are a detriment to ease of use and in my mind for true portable use will only be a legacy connection consideration.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #797 of 1,955
  I'm so feeling that brother. I can't even imagine a cabled headphone for true on the go use, never again. I fully believe that within say 3 to maybe 5 years only inexpensive portable headphones will have cables as the primary data connection. The consumer market has spoken loud and clear as is evidenced by the explosion of not only companies making BT headphones, but the sheer number of models and caliber of quality now available. Cables in a portable environment offer no advantage, in fact they are a detriment to ease of use and in my mind for true portable use will only be a legacy connection consideration.

Me too. The P7W is not perfect, and has its weaknesses. However, it's 'good enough' for audiophile listening on-the-move IMO, especially using Apt-X. It's simply the best wireless listening experience I have ever heard.
I now have Hugo/T5P languishing in a draw because of them lol

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #798 of 1,955
  Me too. The P7W is not perfect, and has its weaknesses. However, it's 'good enough' for audiophile listening on-the-move IMO, especially using Apt-X. It's simply the best wireless listening experience I have ever heard.
I now have Hugo/T5P languishing in a draw because of them lol

Yes, with Apt X and well tuned headphones, we can enjoy very, very good audio quality sans cable. I love being able to use my phone as a source and invest in headphones rather than DAPs. Mind you dedicated DAPs still have a place and can be excellent in their own right, they are just not necessary any longer as once they were.

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #800 of 1,955
I have gone through nearly every page as I'm strongly considering getting these. I was looking at the wired version. But B&W confirmed to me what many here have said, which is that the P7W has improved parts. I am comparing them when the PSB M4U 1 and NAD Viso HP50.

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer for me. If I wire it, do the buttons work? I believe connecting the wire shuts off the Bluetooth functionality. And I assumed it would deactivate the buttons on the ear. But I read an Amazon answer that says that the buttons and built in microphone works when the battery is dead and when wired. I don't trust that answer, and trust people here. Can someone confirm whether, when wired, I can take and make phone calls with the buttons and microphone built into the headphones? Thank you all.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #801 of 1,955
I have gone through nearly every page as I'm strongly considering getting these. I was looking at the wired version. But B&W confirmed to me what many here have said, which is that the P7W has improved parts. I am comparing them when the PSB M4U 1 and NAD Viso HP50.

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer for me. If I wire it, do the buttons work? I believe connecting the wire shuts off the Bluetooth functionality. And I assumed it would deactivate the buttons on the ear. But I read an Amazon answer that says that the buttons and built in microphone works when the battery is dead and when wired. I don't trust that answer, and trust people here. Can someone confirm whether, when wired, I can take and make phone calls with the buttons and microphone built into the headphones? Thank you all.

When you plug the jack in, all electrical circuit shuts down, including Bluetooth playback control buttons and microphone, so you cannot use them.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #802 of 1,955

The buttons and microphone do not work when using the P7W wired.  However, you can get the replacement cable for the P7 with inline microphone and buttons and use on the P7W. It is strangely enough not ridiculously expensive either. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #803 of 1,955
When you plug the jack in, all electrical circuit shuts down, including Bluetooth playback control buttons and microphone, so you cannot use them.

The buttons and microphone do not work when using the P7W wired.  However, you can get the replacement cable for the P7 with inline microphone and buttons and use on the P7W. It is strangely enough not ridiculously expensive either. 

This is why I trust this site over an Amazon review. Thank you both for confirming.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #804 of 1,955
Is there anyway to lower the volume. For music is "ok" but for Youtube is way to loud in some videos. Watching Cameralabs Olympus M1 MK2 on Youtube now and set to lowest volume but find it too loud.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #806 of 1,955
  Is there anyway to lower the volume. For music is "ok" but for Youtube is way to loud in some videos. Watching Cameralabs Olympus M1 MK2 on Youtube now and set to lowest volume but find it too loud.

Do you mean that the lowest volume setting is too loud (on wireless)? I have the same problem and have been in contact with B&W. They said that they were investigating a firmware fix, but I wouldn't count on it.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #807 of 1,955
I've found these can be a bit painful on the skull after time. I have zero issues with clamping pressure and the earpads feel great, but the top section of the headband is simply too narrow where it makes full contact with your cranium. Despite the adequate padding they do tend to give me what I can only compare to a mild (but annoying) "noogie" after a period of time. If B&W widened the top of the headband I think that issue would disappear entirely.

That said, I don't think I can return these due to the sublime sound. If/when they start to get uncomfortable I simply throw a baseball cap on and the problem is resolved.

Alas, there is nothing perfect in this world.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #808 of 1,955
I'm still loving these phones, they've settled in to their spot in my lineup.  The HD600s mostly took one of the spots I thought these may (swapping off with my Grado RS1is during the day working).  I personally like open-backed headphones and find both the RS1is and the HD600s sound better to my ears.  I do like switching in the P7s sometimes for a bass boost.  The HD600s are really amazing at low volume.  It is kind of like having a pair of speakers playing music.  They aren't as engaging as the Grados and aren't closed like the P7s, so for casual background music, they really fit the bill and don't disconnect you from the world.

That being said, the P7s are now my on-the-go cans, moving-around-the-house-cans, travel cans, chopping-veggies-while-watching-tv cans, meditation cans, phone call cans, in-bed cans and general-casual-whatever cans.  I'm mostly using the wireless now and finding it very satisfying and liberating in natural usage (rather than the incessant a/b testing I was doing with the mojo before).

Quote:

Nope, I can assure you this is definitely not related with the source since I can hear this hiss with "connected" sound, but after this sound it seems as intelligent engineering mutes/idles everything while nothing playing. Check treborsian's explanations that I quoted. It describes completely what I experienced.

I think there is something to this.  I use these for meditation and sometimes I do 20 minute sessions with headspace where it is basically 1 minute of talking followed by 19 minutes of silence followed by another minute of talking.  When operating in BT mode, the part of talking following the 19 minutes of silence often gets clipped in the beginning as if things are turning back on--meaning I miss the first half of the first word he says (or maybe even 1.5 words).  I don't know for sure if this is caused by the headphones or the phone, but I generally just consider this part of the current bluetooth reality.  It is feasible it is a power-saving mechanism on either side.  I think it may be more noticeable on P7s because they are high quality and sensitive.

It is weird because I'm pretty sure that this 20 minute session is one long audio file with silence in the middle, so whatever it is, it seems to actually be detecting whether or not there is audio vs whether or not a file is playing.  Remember boomboxes back in the day that could detect the gap between songs and fast forward until the end of a song?  Like that.  The headphones don't shut off, which was my original concern with the 5-minute timeout.

I have some cheap-o BT headphones from urban ears, I'll test out and see if they do the same during today's session.

Would you say the Wireless P7s sound better wired or wireless?

Quote:
So technically there is a difference. How about on the perceived side. Is the wired vs wirelesss much different? I guess the answer would be that it depends on how many of the problems you mentioned actually are happening. I'm thinking I might spring for the Wireless and return the wired. I'm also curious to see how the sound changes when wired vs wired into the DAC vs Wireless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully you are already experiencing this for yourself, but like any other pair of great headphones, they very much benefit from a high quality dac (and to some extent, amp).  There is also a noticeable amount of extra RF noise operating in bluetooth mode you won't get with a good dac/amp config.  I find these pair insanely well with the mojo and I bet will also go very well with your dragonfly.  Just make sure whatever you pair it with has very low output impedance (like 3-ohms or less).  Most of the good, non-tube stuff is perfect.  I'd expect the dragonfly is low because the NightHawks/NightOwls are low impedance.

Hi
I am going to post this question here and on the B&O H9 thread - since those are the two bluetooth headphones which I currently am demoing at my house.
I have only been posting on these threads after a many year long absence and I want to know how my old Grado RS1 is considered when compared to today's headphones?  Back in the day when I was active here (2003/4 and 2008) Grado's were all the rage as they were really the only high end phones available.  Today there are millions of cans around.  How have the Grado's aged?  Still considered a contender - or rather a dinosaur?  I have to admit the P7 wireless and H9 are both pretty impressive - even more so considering the fact that there are no wires.  How do the Grado's stack up?  Have not had the chance to hit up the attic and find them - together with my old LaRocco PPA.

Sonic

Thank you for the informative reply. Mine are the RS1 (not i) purchased in 2008. I dusted off my old LaRocco PPA and had a listen. Yes - compared to the P7's rather bass shy! I did appreciate the open back and the soundstage and out of head experience. They definitely have PRAT like my LINN/Naim so much more exciting than the Sennheiser 650's which preceded them.

I have been waiting on the new Chord announcement as I have been looking at a Mojo to replace my PPA. Much as you say the Grado's have fallen a bit out of favor due to the abundance of so many more alternatives in the market I am sure the same holds true for headphone amplifiers. Back in the day most were DIY. I am sure that most "modern" amps significantly outperform many of the amps which were around "back in the day" including my PPA.

I wonder how my Grado's would sound with a Mojo? A bit more bass and some magic back?

Your Grados will sound astonishing with a Mojo :)  I actually haven't found a combo I enjoy more other than listening through my B&W speakers.  Mine are slightly different--the RS1is--but the OGs you have are pretty legendary.  I've tried quite a few pairs of headphones and quite a few dacs/amps.  The P7s are also perfect pairing with the Mojo.  Both the Grados and P7s have low impedance and the mojo is virtually 0-ohm with a good amount of juice in the 20-32 range.

Make sure you try a bunch of stuff before you go chasing.  People do get bored with things and Grado are old news, but that doesn't mean there is anything better.  That being said, I'm really surprised to hear they ended up in your attic.  
confused_face(1).gif
  Maybe they aren't for you.

I'm excited for CanJam this year.  I really look forward to trying the Hugo2, which I am about 99% sure to buy.  Also on my must-listen is the violectric/lake people stuff and cans from MrSpeakers and AudioQuest which I have yet to experience, but expect will be up my alley.  Things could get expensive!

Does anyone with P7's experience really awful sound/ background noise when making phone calls via an iPhone?

It's almost like it amplifies be outside world rather than cutting it out.

Usage as normal headphones is absolutely outstanding!

I think it is a feature, not a bug.  It is to prevent you from not hearing yourself during a call and therefor speaking very loudly.  It has not caused a problem for me yet, but I haven't used them in very loud conditions for this purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back