Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #856 of 1,955
Sp
Zero issues here with my iPhone 7 Plus. They go from nearly-inaudible to eardrum-shattering. Which app are you using for your music listening? I'm an Apple Music subscriber and have no volume problems whatsoever.
Spotify. I can only listen to the first volume few bars without having my ears blown to pieces when in a silent room. I'll try the music app but I'd only use them with spotify so that's no good anyway.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #857 of 1,955
Sp
Spotify. I can only listen to the first volume few bars without having my ears blown to pieces when in a silent room. I'll try the music app but I'd only use them with spotify so that's no good anyway.

Something is amiss with your setup. I just downloaded the Spotify app to test for myself and the volume is about the same at the 1-bar level as Apple Music is, which is quite quiet. Unless you have bionic hearing.

I can easily go to 50% of volume without any issue. At 100% it's definitely uncomfortably loud, but the rest of the volume range is perfectly fine with my setup.

Which iPhone are you using?

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #859 of 1,955
Thanks for the information. The clamping is not the problem although it has loosened up nicely. How does your ear fit in the cup. Is it touching the inside at all. Also does anyone wear them wit the back part of the cup resting on the ear?

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #860 of 1,955

Yeah, I would be concerned about the long-term viability of the plastic build of the Onkyo. That's the same reason I just bought my wife the P5 Wireless rather than the Beats Solo3 which has much longer battery life and easier connectivity to Apple devices: how long would the plastic hold up?

The plastic is very rigid and I suspect dense plastic, you don't need metal unless you plan to run over the headphone. I have seen plastic headphones last for more than a decade and not look any worse for wear. While I can appreciate the build when metal is used, frankly for a portable I am far less concerned about the absolute premium material use. I know that is counter intuitive in the sense that a portable is likely to get more bumps and drops, but in my years of portable use going back into the 90s at least with almost exclusively plastic housings I never had a problem. Plastic is lighter and can be quite rigid.

Anyway, I'm not saying durability shouldn't be considered, but I am willing to suggest that plastic has a long history and pretty solid track record for portable headphones.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #861 of 1,955
Thanks for the information. The clamping is not the problem although it has loosened up nicely. How does your ear fit in the cup. Is it touching the inside at all. Also does anyone wear them wit the back part of the cup resting on the ear?

So you already have the P7 wireless? What do you think of it if that is the case?

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #862 of 1,955
Something is amiss with your setup. I just downloaded the Spotify app to test for myself and the volume is about the same at the 1-bar level as Apple Music is, which is quite quiet. Unless you have bionic hearing.

I can easily go to 50% of volume without any issue. At 100% it's definitely uncomfortably loud, but the rest of the volume range is perfectly fine with my setup.

Which iPhone are you using?

Just tried apple music, just as loud. I'm using an iphone 7. I really wanted to like these but I don't know how i can use them if they are this loud.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #863 of 1,955
Just tried apple music, just as loud. I'm using an iphone 7. I really wanted to like these but I don't know how i can use them if they are this loud.

Just Apple problem, I can control volume just fine via PC or Android. Of course Apple will make it seem like everybody else has it wrong and that it is a glitch! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Mostly joking, as I agree it should work with Apple.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #864 of 1,955

Sp

Just Apple problem, I can control volume just fine via PC or Android. Of course Apple will make it seem like everybody else has it wrong and that it is a glitch! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Mostly joking, as I agree it should work with Apple.

It certainly isn't an Apple problem.  I've used the wireless with both android and apple and no preference between the two.  Volume levels about the same  I usually listen around the 5th notch on my iPhone which is comfortable, not very loud.  On the first notch, it is very clear still in a quiet room, but there is no one on this planet that would consider it loud.

My guess is there is something off with your P7s, but maybe try them out on another device.  Otherwise, just arrange an exchange.

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #866 of 1,955
Something is definitely wrong with either 1) the settings on your iPhone or 2) the headphones themselves (i.e. they're defective).

Tried them on my iPad with the music app, same problem. I'll try on my Mac when i get home from work later and if not I'll have to return them... thank the lord I have my P9s to use. I can't try them on a non apple device as this household is apple only, sorry folks :p

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #870 of 1,955
I love the P7s. They make my music come alive. Listening to them really allows you to climb inside the music. Very easy to relax and enjoy when you listen to them. The P7 wireless brings out things in most songs that I had not heard before. Bass and treble stand alone and are blended together to create sweet music. I throughly enjoy listening to my music and hate that I might have to give them up, because paying $400 and not getting a totally comfortible fit does not make sense to me....I hate that I am probably going to have to return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back