Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #46 of 1,955
I returned my Solo3s and Momentum 2 Wireless On Ear. And picked up the Bose QC35, but I think the Solo3s sound the best out of these 3 options.

(I'm using an iPhone 7 so the lack of AAC support from the M2s really made it suffer)

I'm trying really hard to break the cord, but I haven't been satisfied yet with the quality. Perhaps these P7s are worth a shot? $400 is probably the absolute top of my range for a pair of headphones. 

I totally agree with you. I found out the hard way that if you have iOS devices which are AAC (not AptX), then AptX headphones which do not have AAC sound bad. There is so much misleading marketing on AptX and people automatically think it will be better but you have to have AptX Device.

I returned my £329 Senn PXC-550 which are AptX but no AAC. The Bose QC35 sound much better with iPhones.

So I am really looking forward to listening to the P7's which are both AAC and AptX.

In my opinion, Every wireless headphone over £250 should support both AAC and AptX for future proofing device optimisation compatibility. Otherwise they favour Android AptX mobiles or favour Apple iOS devices.

Us consumers have enough to compromise on regarding Android vs Apple vs Google Nexus vs Windows- EcoSystems. We really don't need that headache in wireless headphones.

If you have a Samsung Android AptX device and purchased a Bose QC35 you really have lost out on sound quality as you are not maximising the AptX built into your Samsung Phone, Also if you have iPhone and purchased Senn PXC550 or Senn Momentum Wireless you have also missed out big time.

People simply are not aware of the importance of device compatibility importance. Even on the P7 you have a nice AptX logo on the Box but no reference to AAC - don't they want iPhone users to buy them. They actually do support AAC as listed in specifications.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #47 of 1,955
I have 6 devices at home which I would like to use with wireless headphones. I had the Bose QC35 which has a convenient App allowing you to switch devices connected.

There is no such App for the B&W P7 which might be a deal breaker as it means constantly using the device settings to connect and disconnect to the Headphones. For this reason I previously returned the Senn PXC550 which sounded better than Bose QC35 but was very inconvenient to connect and disconnect.

Anyone using 3 or more devices with the P7 wireless and how easy can you switch device connections, please?

I have 3 Bluetooth Apple TV's which have excellent Bluetooth sound and so far Bose connection is easiest to Manage?

Also if there is no App then how does B&W deliver firmware updates?

I've always just used the headphones themselves to do that.  E.g., Bose products announce via voice what device you're connected to out of it's memory so if you want a different device you just push the power button once and it announces the next device.  I just cycle that until I find the device I want, and then it'll connect (maybe).  But Bose products are definitely finicky with BT connections, and I would argue the app is compensating for an issue with their BT logic or antennas.  In any event, I switch between devices a lot so the last thing I want is to have to use *another* device & app to switch connections - I expect the headphones to do that.

The P7s and Sonys function much the same - from the headset.  The P7 implementation is insanely luxurious - it's a clickconnected model; there is ZERO delay.  So let's say I'm on my P7 & my MBP (which the P7s consider my primary device) - the pico-second I turn on the P7s they're connected to the MBP.  But now I want to switch to any of the other paired devices: I tap the BT button twice which disconnects me from the MBP.  On the device I want to connect I select the P7 and it's instantly connected.

For me, I prefer (and expect) the native controls to work and I don't want to have to add in other devices/apps.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #48 of 1,955

I've always just used the headphones themselves to do that.  E.g., Bose products announce via voice what device you're connected to out of it's memory so if you want a different device you just push the power button once and it announces the next device.  I just cycle that until I find the device I want, and then it'll connect (maybe).  But Bose products are definitely finicky with BT connections, and I would argue the app is compensating for an issue with their BT logic or antennas.  In any event, I switch between devices a lot so the last thing I want is to have to use *another* device & app to switch connections - I expect the headphones to do that.

The P7s and Sonys function much the same - from the headset.  The P7 implementation is insanely luxurious - it's a clickconnected model; there is ZERO delay.  So let's say I'm on my P7 & my MBP (which the P7s consider my primary device) - the pico-second I turn on the P7s they're connected to the MBP.  But now I want to switch to any of the other paired devices: I tap the BT button twice which disconnects me from the MBP.  On the device I want to connect I select the P7 and it's instantly connected.

For me, I prefer (and expect) the native controls to work and I don't want to have to add in other devices/apps.

Thank you kindly. I will try that. I just ordered the P7's.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #50 of 1,955
People simply are not aware of the importance of device compatibility importance. Even on the P7 you have a nice AptX logo on the Box but no reference to AAC - don't they want iPhone users to buy them. They actually do support AAC as listed in specifications.

Having done some of this product-y stuff, I don't think it's that B&W doesn't want iPhone users buying P7s, it's just that of iPhones users you're extremely well informed.

Most iphone users just want stuff to work and don't want to worry about ACC & aptX and, further, it confuses them and makes them think it's NOT for the iphone since the box is plastered with all kinds of jargon.  B&W knows that someone like you will check to see if they support ACC, so they don't need to help you, it's more they're trying not to confuse others.  It's a balance : )  

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #52 of 1,955
How does Bluetooth range compare between Bose QC35 vs P7's?

I live in major downtown metro in a condo building so it's pretty heavy EMF, also lots of water pipes (water blocks BT), and lots of concrete.  In this environment, range on any of them isn't great - say 20-25 feet.  What's interesting is that my Bose OE Soundlinks have much better range than the P7s or QC35s or Sonys.  This makes me suspect that the different codecs are impacting range.

In any event, range is P7, Sonys, QC35s, but the difference is a few feet vs the Bose OEs which are about 20% better.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #53 of 1,955
  Hey there! I felt the same way about the original, but these seem to fit a bit larger and are more comfortable without stretching (which to me was a necessity on the original).

sounds like an improvement - i may have to give it a spin then.  thanks, i really like their sound but i'm also tempted to check on the sony 1000x to compare it with, which i know has the advantage in comfort.

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #54 of 1,955
sounds like an improvement - i may have to give it a spin then.  thanks, i really like their sound but i'm also tempted to check on the sony 1000x to compare it with, which i know has the advantage in comfort.

The Sony 1000x looks great, and actual controls would be better and an advancement (although should have included standard buttons as well),
and It has LDAP, which to me would be perfect,

the deal breaker is that Sony don't think this model is expensive enough to actually build it with leather, and have opted for synthetic leather ear cups pads, yuck....

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #55 of 1,955

Have you tried the B&O H7's? They're very close to a wireless H6, imo. 

Hi, yes I did and IMHO they don't sound anything like the H6's. :frowning2: Also the P7 Wireless are the first and only pair of wireless headphones I've ever used that don't continually dropout and the H7's did a lot. So did the P5 's so I'm thinking B&W learned something between them and the P7's. My QC35's and soundsport wireless drop out too much too.....

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #56 of 1,955
The P7 Wireless plus my Sony Xperia Z5 via Apt-X perform so perfectly, and sound so great that I'm seriously wondering if I want or need to cart my Hugo around. These cans are really that good!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #57 of 1,955

The Sony 1000x looks great, and actual controls would be better and an advancement (although should have included standard buttons as well),
and It has LDAP, which to me would be perfect,

the deal breaker is that Sony don't think this model is expensive enough to actually build it with leather, and have opted for synthetic leather ear cups pads, yuck....

I suspect that the MDR-1000X's use the same drivers as the MDR-1ABT's.
Compared to the P7's, there really is no comparison IMO and the P7's eclipse the Sony's on every front. The noise cancelling feature is attractive, but do the MDR-1000's sound any good with that feature discounted?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #58 of 1,955
Just picked up my P7 wireless today so I'll be able to chat about them in the coming days, likely a little later tonight after I have a few solid hours listening. I don't concern myself with break-in, I just listen out of the box so for those who feel break-in is real, keep that in mind if you happen to read any impressions from me. I paid full retail, but I did support a brick and mortar music store. I also heard the P9 there, gorgeous, but in no way is it remotely a portable headphone.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #59 of 1,955
  Just picked up my P7 wireless today so I'll be able to chat about them in the coming days, likely a little later tonight after I have a few solid hours listening. I don't concern myself with break-in, I just listen out of the box so for those who feel break-in is real, keep that in mind if you happen to read any impressions from me. I paid full retail, but I did support a brick and mortar music store. I also heard the P9 there, gorgeous, but in no way is it remotely a portable headphone.

​looking forward to your impressions man, after all the reviews so far, I'm not far away from pulling the trigger on these. they would be my first wireless headphone ever, did the p9 sound much better than the p7's to you when you auditioned them?

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #60 of 1,955

​looking forward to your impressions man, after all the reviews so far, I'm not far away from pulling the trigger on these. they would be my first wireless headphone ever, did the p9 sound much better than the p7's to you when you auditioned them?

The P9 was certainly more spacious and refined sounding, more controlled bass, but it isn't at all portable as I said so if portability is also a big factor for you as it is for me, save your mental energy and forget about the P9 as a portable. It is rather large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back