Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #16 of 1,955
Maybe I can answer my own question, as I just bought a pair. Having only used them for a short while, I'm very impressed. I loved the H7 from B&O, but these are even better. Much fuller and deeper sound. I'm no audiophile but I'm really blown away by how good they sound out of the box.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #17 of 1,955
  Maybe I can answer my own question, as I just bought a pair. Having only used them for a short while, I'm very impressed. I loved the H7 from B&O, but these are even better. Much fuller and deeper sound. I'm no audiophile but I'm really blown away by how good they sound out of the box.

Yeah, my only complaint is the FLAC sound: If you register your P7s on the B&W site you get free downloads of some FLAC24 music.

I did, I have a 2015 MacBook Pro, and playing those FLAC24 through VLC, some of the bass sounds horrible.  Overall the FLAC files sound better, and louder, than the exact same song on Google Music, but a few of them like Bell X1 sound horrible bass-wise.  9Bach Anian also has some gravelly bass on some of the tracks - it's enough that I stopped listening to the FLAC24s.

So far I'm chalking that up to how VLC plays the FLAC but I'm a total noob so i have no idea.  Further, I've read that FLAC really doesn't improve quality over 196kbps MP3 and Google music streams at 320kbps, and FLACs core benefit is file size (over WMV) and making copies, but I dunno.

In any event, I'm really happy with the P7s - they make you want to wear them, and they isolate sound well enough that after 20 seconds of use I forget any background noise that wouldn't be there with ANC.

Unless the Sony MDR1000Xs are just as good on SQ, these are my set.

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #19 of 1,955
Compared to the P5 wireless headphones these are day and night. The P5 Wireless I first bought, had very thin sound and terrible fit - I know it's a matter of taste if you prefer on-ear instead of over-ear. But I wasn't impressed by the sound at all.... I can't get over how amazing the P7 sounds... I'm hearing my music in a whole different way - you know, how I imagine my music would sound better with a good pair of headphones - these are definitely what I had been searching for :)

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #20 of 1,955
  How do the FLAC files play if you use the wire included with the headphones?

I've converted the FLAC files I had to Apple Lossless files. Don't know if that makes a difference. I use the app XLD for that.

Genius @Larzy!  and a big DUH for me :-D

So I did as you recommended: P7 with the wire - and the FLAC24s sound great!  SUPER deep sounds - a real wow.

9Bach's Cyfaddaefa in FLAC24, when the drop happens around 4min, was getting creamed through the BT as was Bell X1's I Go Where You Go, and Peter Gabriel's A Different Drum.  Now, on the wire, it's huge and deep and clean.

So for us noobs, what's happening here?  Even though the P7s are connecting via AptX, the amount of data is lost in the BT transmission and that's clipping the sound, thus when I use the wire I get all of the data?

On another topic, I have a Fiio E06 that I'd stopped using once I got the PSBs because it messed with the sound, I can't remember why, but after I went from non-amp'd headphones to the PSBs I shelved it.  I just dug it up and connected it inline with the P7s - wired of course - it helps, especially with volume control, although I would say the sound isn't so much better that I can tell.

I'm still trying to decided if FLAC24s are anything over 320kbps streaming .... 

On a final note, I do see what some are saying about the P7s bass - on Erykah Badu's On & On, wired or not wired, the bass response is almost (ok is for me) too strong.  This shows up on 9Bach's Cyfaddaefa whether FLAC24 or wired as well.  It's not a deal killer at all but I wouldn't go trying a "fun" EQ with these things for some music.

Ok, on a real final note, let me re-mention the lightening bluetooth connectivity - it shouldn't be a thing or be much, but for some reason for me it is: it's INSTANT, and this is whether you just turn on the P7s or turn on BT on the device.  My Bose OE Soundlinks always require messing about and/or take up to 20 seconds to connect ... I have to go into the list and force it.  Other wireless earbuds and such I have are the same - you kinda have to force them to connect.  These P7s are immediate no matter how or where bluetooth turns on and it's across all of my devices: if it's on, BOOM, connected.

It's a real luxury I didn't know I wanted.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 1,955
Mine just came in from Amazon.

Easily my favorite from the following I've tried with my iPhone 7:

Beats Solo3
Beats Studio Wireless
Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear
Bose QC35

As mentioned before, I really am trying to cut the cord and I think I found one im happy with. I'm not a legitimate/serious audiophile, but I can pick up on some differences and even hearing things I didn't before with these headphones. Gonna use them all week for my commute and such.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #22 of 1,955
  Mine just came in from Amazon.

Easily my favorite from the following I've tried with my iPhone 7:

Beats Solo3
Beats Studio Wireless
Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear
Bose QC35

As mentioned before, I really am trying to cut the cord and I think I found one im happy with. I'm not a legitimate/serious audiophile, but I can pick up on some differences and even hearing things I didn't before with these headphones. Gonna use them all week for my commute and such.

Please report back!  Very curious to see how they do ... for me when I listen to music or whatever's playing, it seems like I could be in a fireworks show and I wouldn't hear it.

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #23 of 1,955
I just received mine yesterday so take what I say with a grain of salt, I am also trying to go mostly wireless (iPhone 7 Plus). I have the Bose QC35's (mobile) and B&O H6 1st Gen and 2nd Gen (Home) as my main headphones and have tried all the previous wired and wireless B&W headphones. In my short time with the P7 wireless they are the best sounding headphones ever from B&W and the best wireless headphones I've heard but the H6's (Gen 1 and 2) still sound better and are more comfortable and look nicer IMHO. So I guess what I'm saying is B&O need to come out with a H6 Wireless ASAP!  :) Until then I will happily use the P7 wireless though as wireless trumps wired for me most of the time now even for slightly more pain (dropouts, charging) and not quite as good sound (H6's).

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #24 of 1,955
Close to ordering a pair.
Just waiting for the tax free Prime seller has them back in stock.

Kind of disappointed that B&W did not include a mic cable.
Even worse, if you buy the P9, they will send you a free lightning connection cable for iPhones.
The people that pay $400 for the P7 Wireless don't get that luxury.

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #25 of 1,955
(deleted)

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #26 of 1,955
The upcoming B&W Lightning cable for the P9 will probably also work with the original P7 and the P7 Wireless.
wink.gif

It definitely would come in handy if the battery ever runs out on the P7 Wireless and you have an iPhone 7.  And it will probably have better SQ than Apple's $9 adapter. 

I wonder if it will be sold individually?

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #28 of 1,955
About to take the plunge into wireless p7, I am looking forward to having the wireless option, is there anyone still just using the cable option, or is the wireless doing the job, compared to plugging it in to a high quality DAP?

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #29 of 1,955
I'm using both wireless and wired. Bluetooth more for travel/commuting, tv/movie watching, wired for music in the house/critical listening and walking out and about (at those rare times of use) - For walking about in public, bluetooth doesn't feel safe. If someone twigs there's no cable attached it'd be far easier for them to grab and run. 

I did have a few bluetooth connectivity issues with my original pair, but this replacement pair seem fine with most of my devices.

Audibly there's still a difference between wired and bluetooth... the bluetooth is adequate though! For critical listening sessions you would want to resort back to wired. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #30 of 1,955
  I'm using both wireless and wired. Bluetooth more for travel/commuting, tv/movie watching, wired for music in the house/critical listening and walking out and about (at those rare times of use) - For walking about in public, bluetooth doesn't feel safe. If someone twigs there's no cable attached it'd be far easier for them to grab and run. 

I did have a few bluetooth connectivity issues with my original pair, but this replacement pair seem fine with most of my devices.

Audibly there's still a difference between wired and bluetooth... the bluetooth is adequate though! For critical listening sessions you would want to resort back to wired. 

I'd +1 on all of this - SQ is much better wired, for example my MBP connects via aptX but if I"m trying to listen to a FLAC24 via VLC on bluetooth it's a no-go on sound quality ... like it destroys the sound, but wired it sounds fantastic.  Listening to bass heavy tracks like Erykah Badu and some EDM tracks, no matter the connection, you get the P7s slightly bass heavy response.

I'm a complete noob on all of the lingo and DAC/Amp, etc but I did return my QC35s because they sounded crappy whereas the P7s sound great to my ear.  I've learned that when I spend >$200US on a listening device I expect to say "wow, that sounds great" when I turn on the first track, and the P7s do that.  I have an older set of wired PSBM4Us which I really liked as well, but the P7s wireless are much better and wired even better still.  I don't have a Mojo, but do have the little Fiio E6 and the P7s sound great with it, whereas the PSBs fell apart (but they have ANC which you can turn off).

As to bluetooth, for me the P7s have been completely luxurious - if you turn them on, they connect instantly; better than any bluetooth device I've ever had.  It seems like a small thing, but now everything else annoys me and I have multiple android devices, a chromebook, a MBP, and an iPad.  All immediately connect ... like on,connected fast. You flip the switch and they're connected.  awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back