Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #31 of 1,955
Hello. I recently bought the wired P7 to use with my iPhone 6 for listening to music in lossless CD quality (Tidal Hifi). I also got a DAC/Amp, but I don't notice that much difference yet (haven't tested it out too much though). 

I have 30 days of money back or exchanging in another product with no questions asked, so I'm wondering if I should stick witht he p7 or switch to the p7 wireless. I read mentioned somewhere that the sound is better on the new p7 wireless, and if this is true I might go for it, seeing as how the price difference is only about an extra 10-15%. Not sure if I'll be using it with just the iPhone or if I get a new DAC/Amp or maybe a DAP. The wireless aspect means very little to me, generally my philosophy has been that it's less of a hassle to have a wire there than to worry about a battery and recharging etc etc, but I'm not bothered either way. What I care most about is sound quality.

So for the people who own or at least have tried both the normal p7 and the wireless p7 and have good grounds for comparison, which do you recommend?

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #32 of 1,955
So I've been on a hunt for the best mid-high range bluetooth headphones and I'm getting these to show up tomorrow.

Already trialed have been:

- Master & Dynamic MW60:  I found these too heavy and actually really recessed in the mids.  I didn't find them nearly as fun to listen to as everyone seems to imply.  Really had to crank the volume to get them to shine.

- B&W P5 Wireless:  I actually really liked these, but the on-ear design was basically killing me.  I couldn't keep them on for more than an hour without needing a break.

- VModa Crossfade Wireless:  The sound signature on these is actually pretty damn good...but the bass actually bleeds into the mids a little too aggressively at times and really distracts from the song when it happens.  My favorite of the 3 I've tried so far in terms of being the total package, but they're going back in hopes that the P7s can build on what these brought to the table.

Everything I'm reading says that I should love these P7 Wireless...I'm looking for a very punchy/impactful yet clean bass, with great general resolution throughout the rest of the spectrum.  I've listened to the wired P7s at a store and really liked their sound, so I'm hopeful that these will really be my new buddies for at least the next year or so.

Will report back with my findings.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #33 of 1,955
Hello. I recently bought the wired P7 to use with my iPhone 6 for listening to music in lossless CD quality (Tidal Hifi). I also got a DAC/Amp, but I don't notice that much difference yet (haven't tested it out too much though). 

I have 30 days of money back or exchanging in another product with no questions asked, so I'm wondering if I should stick witht he p7 or switch to the p7 wireless. I read mentioned somewhere that the sound is better on the new p7 wireless, and if this is true I might go for it, seeing as how the price difference is only about an extra 10-15%. Not sure if I'll be using it with just the iPhone or if I get a new DAC/Amp or maybe a DAP. The wireless aspect means very little to me, generally my philosophy has been that it's less of a hassle to have a wire there than to worry about a battery and recharging etc etc, but I'm not bothered either way. What I care most about is sound quality.

So for the people who own or at least have tried both the normal p7 and the wireless p7 and have good grounds for comparison, which do you recommend?

Thanks for everyone's reply,
I'll be sending back my wired version for a wireless replacement today, and will have the wireless version, should be in the next week.

I can compare them via memory both wired. And let you all know next week.

From reading a few reviews, the reviewers have said the wireless p7 has an updated driver, and memory foam. If this is the case, the wireless are worth the upgrade.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #34 of 1,955
Cross-posting this, 90% ANC HP content so skip if that's not important to you:

I'm going to compare the Sony's, the bose, the wireless P7s, and the PSBs.  for those that think I can't compare them, just watch me : )  One time I even drank red wine with fish.

Imma just get this outa the way: Sony are the best ANC headphones.

I'm not going to get into all the comfort and features as that's already out there and Bose wins comfort, sony wins features ... what I will say is the margin that that Bose win on comfort is pretty small, with the margin the Sony's win a features pretty large - one big factor in why the Sony's are the best ANC headphones.

But ... there are a few things that could sway that declaration for some people, so let's dig in ...

BLUETOOTH
P7s are lightening connect.  Sonys are delayed about a 1s, Bose are bit behind that.  Overall the Bose are just more finicky to connect across my devices (2015 MBP, android tablets and phones (N7, N6, 5x), and iPad), although the Bose didn't annoy me as much as when I first tried them.  I have an EMF-dense environment and range is not great with any of the 3, although the Sonys did best with the P7s and Bose trailing equally.  Of the 3 BT headsets, the Sonys easily win.

ACTIVE NOISE CANCELING
Here are the tested scenarios:
* Loud vacuum
* Loud lobby, lots of voices
* Clinking of a coffee cups, silverware, general jingles
* Aircraft flying overhead -- close
* Sirens going by, very very loud sirens
* City traffic noise (trucks, horns, motors, etc)
* City background noise
* Monster air purifier
* Pool party sounds (kids yelling, adult murmuring)
* Loud TV
* Quiet room

The Sony Crackle
Yup the crackle is there ... BUT.  it's so slight and faint and artifact-y and you can only hear it in a quiet room.  It would never be anything I wouldn't buy them over and I can see why Sony released the with this.  Yes it's there but ... really?  This is problem?  I suppose I can see some people being annoyed if they want perfect in a silent or near silent room (i.e., steady background noise that's cancelled and nothing playing).  If that's your top use-case, get the Bose.  Otherwise you'll never hear it and I'd forget it was there, so for me it's a non-factor.  If this was the kind of thing that bothered me I'd probably have killed myself by now anyway. 

The Low Frequencies
Yup, Sony is better than Bose.  Not omg-bose-just-pooped-their-pants better though.  Just a stitch better.  With both, they really cancel out "whoosh" and white noise and any hums, thrums, or low booms.  Great stuff.  Places where you really notice are internal/external aircraft engine noise, diesel truck sounds, the low register of a TV, and general background noise.  It takes it down by roughly 70% overall.

This is quite noticeable in comparing the Sonys/QCs to the PSBs and the P7s.  The PSB ANC is a joke comparatively, taking down overall noise by about 5-10% at the most, but making them still worse than the P7s with passive noise blocking. 

Slight win for Sony, but firmly in the who-really-gives-a-shiit category

The High Frequencies
Mostly all headphones were the same here with the PSBs still trailing by quite a bit since they don't have good passive isolation ... meaning they're all pretty ineffective.  But let's dig into that a bit ... for things like ambulance sirens the P7s were as good as either of the ANC leaders and that was similar with piercing kid screams, airplane engine whine, vacuum whine.

Adult voices is where things got interesting.   First off, you can still hear them, so let's get that out of the way.  BUT.  The Sonys were better here ... not by much and both the Sony's and QC35s helped by about 40-50%.  Now if I read what I just wrote my gut reaction would be NO THEY DON'T! but I really really did some A/B/C testing here:  The P7s do their normal cutting things down across the board, although they appear to cut highs more, but I think that's only because they're letting in lows - I'd look into that more if I wasn't lazy, but I am intellectually curious about that.  Anyway, with voices, when you switch from the P7s to either of ANC-leads you immediately lose the low frequencies of the voices.  I never noticed this as brightly before, but it definitely helps with voices in general ... and that's where I"m getting my 50% from.  Yes you can still hear them, but with the ANC-leads, many of the frequencies disappear and that helps overall.  Ok, so between the Sonys and the QC35s, the Sonys do this better although it took me  few minutes of switching to determine it was definitely there - the problem was, once I noticed it I couldn't un-notice it so I'm giving the win firmly to the Sonys but, again, if you're looking for magic voice blockers these are all giant losers; they help though.

SOUND QUALITY
I lack the skills (and maybe ear) to do a sound deconstruction of the sort seen here so I'm going to keep this quite short based on other reviews including mine:

* Loud and not Proud.  The QC35s get loud, but not oh-I'm-jammin-now loud, just why-is-that-old-man-talking-so-loud loud.  The Sonys get both louder, and better louder.  If I wanted to jam out I'd definitely pick the Sonys for volume over the QC35s.

* Is anybody there?  The QC35s still have that distant sound to me ... it's kinda like candle light in a dark room: yes you can add more candles (volume) but it's still candle light.  The Sonys don't have this, so it's a firm win for the Sonys on "distant sounding".

* It's all about the bass.  I'd have to give it to the QC35s here, but it's a pyrrhic victory because of that distant thing.  The Sonys don't have the punch but as far as I'm concerned they both kinda suck and would both be in the you'll-get-used-to-it-eventually camp.  But win for the Bose I guess.

Oh feck it.  Look, I think they both sound like shiit (Sonys and QC35s), no offense to anyone.  That's kinda harsh because, frankly, they Sony's sounded better than the wired PSBs so there's that.  While the Sonys are weaker on bass, I liked the overall sound better whether it was jazz, classical, erykah badu, EDM, or show or movies.  It's not what I'd say it hugely better, just better.

The P7s.
Oh you magnificent bastards.  Remember my light analogy?  Well comparatively, the P7s are like overhead fluorescent lights flipping on with strong bass tracks like occasionally having a spotlight flip on - it's little unpleasant but who doesn't like the spotlight?  and this is with all the background noise.  There are all kinds of details you barely or don't notice on the ANC-leads that make me say wow with the P7s.  One of my test was to watch the same scene of a show called Killjoys which is Sci-Fi show with all kinds of sciencey sounds - on the P7s I could hear all kinds of little details that were just not there on any of the others - and then the background hums  or booms, whoa, hello.  On the ANC-leads just a big yawn.

CONCLUSION
Keeping the P7s, although I don't recommend this for anyone looking for ANC.  For me, hearing occasional background noise with great sound is less annoying than constant crappy sound with lowered background noise.  It's a completely stupid choice, but the P7s ruined me.  I'm still excited to put them on, and they feel great.  The others just felt like, oh-I-suppose-I-should-wear-them-now and I'm looking forward to putting on the P7s right now and there's a garbage disposal running that I'm right next to.

I had some angst over it until I thought of it this way: you're on an airplane / in a cafe / in a loud office and you want to listen to a show / some tunes / a tv show;  of these 3 sets in front of you (P7, QC35, Sonys) which do you *want* to grab? 

P7s every time.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #35 of 1,955
Really awesome and appreciated write-up.

My P7s are showing up today and I'm so hopeful that these are the cans I've been searching for.

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #36 of 1,955
I went as high as the Ether C's and ended up back with the P7 wireless (running in wired mode). Yes, Ethers were more clear and higher fidelity overall, but these were more fun, comfortable (weight probably), and so much cheaper through Verizon rewards. The separation is what really separates these from their peers at the price point.

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #37 of 1,955
I went as high as the Ether C's and ended up back with the P7 wireless (running in wired mode). Yes, Ethers were more clear and higher fidelity overall, but these were more fun, comfortable (weight probably), and so much cheaper through Verizon rewards. The separation is what really separates these from their peers at the price point.

So do the P7 wireless still have the 3.5mm jack behind the ear pads, or is the jack outside of the ear pads?

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #39 of 1,955
Really awesome and appreciated write-up.

My P7s are showing up today and I'm so hopeful that these are the cans I've been searching for.

Please post your thoughts ... I'd love to know if I'm nuts, but I love these P7s.  bass-heavy, the mids a bit off (but is that because they're bas heavy?  I dunno), but when you listen to your favorite tunes it just kinda sticks with you and you want to go back.  And you don't get sick of it and it doesn't wear off, at least not yet.  I'm not saying I'd pick them over girls or anything, and I didn't try the Beoplays, but these are great for the next year for me anyway.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #40 of 1,955
  I got a pair and used them most of yesterday out of a Mac Pro and through a Cayin C5. Played a mix of flac and Amazon Prime and my usually wide variety of genres and artists. I'm coming off MrSpeakers Ether C's and then B&W P5 Wireless. I character of sound they're obviously tuned more like their older sibling, but in quality of sound they're more than halfway to the Ethers from the P5s. I used to have the original P7s, and I would say the new ones are a little darker, slightly less forward on the vocals, but with better detail and not as shrill in the highs. I felt that the original P7's created the illusion of detail in the treble sometimes by spiking certain frequencies in an unpleasant way. The new ones have more detail across all frequencies, especially low mids I'd say. The bass goes deeper, cleaner as well. Overall a more balanced headset, but still super fun to listen too (which is what I missed after I sold the originals). One other difference I notice is they're loosened the fit a bit, so they're more comfortable than the originals, which hurt my face when I first got them. These are much nicer while still being snug enough to do anything you'd want to do in luxury headphones.

hi - so far, how's the clamping force the longer you use it?  i've always liked the original wired P7 but couldn't handle the discomfort for long listening.  do you really feel that it has improved?  thanks.  

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #41 of 1,955
  I just received mine yesterday so take what I say with a grain of salt, I am also trying to go mostly wireless (iPhone 7 Plus). I have the Bose QC35's (mobile) and B&O H6 1st Gen and 2nd Gen (Home) as my main headphones and have tried all the previous wired and wireless B&W headphones. In my short time with the P7 wireless they are the best sounding headphones ever from B&W and the best wireless headphones I've heard but the H6's (Gen 1 and 2) still sound better and are more comfortable and look nicer IMHO. So I guess what I'm saying is B&O need to come out with a H6 Wireless ASAP!  :) Until then I will happily use the P7 wireless though as wireless trumps wired for me most of the time now even for slightly more pain (dropouts, charging) and not quite as good sound (H6's).

Have you tried the B&O H7's? They're very close to a wireless H6, imo. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #43 of 1,955
Also if there is no App then how does B&W deliver firmware updates?

On the Beoplay H7 you have to download an app for Windows or Mac, and connect the headphones to your computer. Then you are able to update the firmware. Maybe B&W will release something similar? Or make an app for the phone - they have one called Bowers & Wilkins control, but that is only compatible with their wireless speakers.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #44 of 1,955
I'm not bashing the Beoplay H6 2nd gen. - but when listening to each set in my ears, the P7 wireless have a much fuller sound and are superior. The Beoplay sounds much thinner and lack depth in the music and bass. Just like how I remember the original H6 sounded compared to the 2nd gen. And I liked both the H6 2gen + H7 before I switched to B&W. 

And comparing the P7 wireless to the new P9, then the P7 sounds a bit thin :) and so such comparisons can go on and on... my point is if you like the sound of the Beoplay and are fine with that, then there's probably no need to switch. 

Right now I'm debating whether I want to keep the P9 as a home set, and keep the P7 wireless as my "on-the-go" headset, or just keep the P7 wireless as they are really really good. It's just dangerous to sit and compare them next to the P9.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #45 of 1,955
  hi - so far, how's the clamping force the longer you use it?  i've always liked the original wired P7 but couldn't handle the discomfort for long listening.  do you really feel that it has improved?  thanks.  

Hey there! I felt the same way about the original, but these seem to fit a bit larger and are more comfortable without stretching (which to me was a necessity on the original).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back