Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Aug 16, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,111 of 1,506

Haven't heard the BT version but the regular 1R is pretty much the opposite of the P7. Yes they both have pretty good soundstage for closed headphones, but the sound signatures are so different.
Treble - both have good extension but the 1R has a very laid back top end, so overall it sounds very warm, even dark by some standards. P7 has lots of treble energy, very crisp sounding without being harsh. Treble resolution is amazing.
Mids - 1R has very warm, lush, rich mids. P7 is rather dry and lean in the lower mids.
Bass - 1R has a midbass hump which masks the subbass. P7 has emphasized bass but the emphasis is lower compared to the 1R (much more subwoofer-like) and the leaner lower mids makes it sound cleaner and less boomy.

10-point scale, an overall assessment of what sound would you put?
Thanks!

The 1R is very technically competent but sound signature wise I would only give them 7/10. P7 is like 9.5/10. However if you EQ both to have the same sound signature they would sound very similar in terms of detail, speed, soundstage etc.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #1,112 of 1,506
After extensive listening between the P7 and the Momentum, I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my ears, because there's NO way I would put these two in the same category for sound quality, like a lot of people say.

To my years the P7 is considerably more transparent and clear, while the Momentum sounds more muddy. I think I'm too inexperienced to notice the "near world class" treble that Innerfidelity describes in their P7 review, but it certainly sound great -- it's crisp and detailed, and not at all harsh like my HD25s can sound (which I don't really enjoy at all).

Meanwhile I think the bass boost is very welcome for portable use. Listening at home the bass feels a little too much sometimes, but it's also very song dependent. And I find the bass punchy, detailed and seperated well in the mix.

But the real stand out from the Momentum is sound stage and imaging. To my years the difference is really night and day.

For overall sound quality I think the P7 is best compared to the NAD HP 50 (I haven't heard the B&O H6).

I can't say really it's better than the NAD, but the soundstage feels a little bit wider (perhaps helped by the bass and treble emphasis).

I liked the sound of both but in the end I picked the P7 for good looks and a nice fit on my ears. Although the pads are a little stiff, I find that it doesn't get uncomfortable with hours of use because the pads don't touch my ears at all, unlike both the Momentum and to a lesser degree the NAD.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #1,113 of 1,506
^ Agree with this. I own both P7 and Momentum and while the Momentum are great on their own, I found the P7 to best them in every area including comfort. Soundstage-wise, the Momentum does feel congested in comparison with the P7, and the cristal clear trebles are really something to behold with the B&W. I have never heard any sibilance from P7 and yet, the highs are the clearest, most detailed I've heard in cans of this category. Momentum are good, to my ears P7 are simply better.

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,114 of 1,506
  After extensive listening between the P7 and the Momentum, I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my ears, because there's NO way I would put these two in the same category for sound quality, like a lot of people say.

To my years the P7 is considerably more transparent and clear, while the Momentum sounds more muddy. I think I'm too inexperienced to notice the "near world class" treble that Innerfidelity describes in their P7 review, but it certainly sound great -- it's crisp and detailed, and not at all harsh like my HD25s can sound (which I don't really enjoy at all).

Meanwhile I think the bass boost is very welcome for portable use. Listening at home the bass feels a little too much sometimes, but it's also very song dependent. And I find the bass punchy, detailed and seperated well in the mix.

But the real stand out from the Momentum is sound stage and imaging. To my years the difference is really night and day.

For overall sound quality I think the P7 is best compared to the NAD HP 50 (I haven't heard the B&O H6).

I can't say really it's better than the NAD, but the soundstage feels a little bit wider (perhaps helped by the bass and treble emphasis).

I liked the sound of both but in the end I picked the P7 for good looks and a nice fit on my ears. Although the pads are a little stiff, I find that it doesn't get uncomfortable with hours of use because the pads don't touch my ears at all, unlike both the Momentum and to a lesser degree the NAD.

Definitely agree. Momentum is boomy and overly thick in the midbass and lower mids. P7 has crisp, clear. and highly detailed if slightly dry mids.
Although overall quality is comparable between P7 and HP50, the HP50 has much warmer mids than P7. P7 has more emphasis on deep bass and upper treble.
H6 is like the neutral version of the P7 - similar quality without the bass emphasis.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,115 of 1,506
I'm almost certain to pick up the P7 later this month, but I'm looking forward to what people on this thread think of the relationship between the P7 and the new P5 Series 2 update! (http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/P5-Series-2.html)

For my own part I expected that I would be getting the Momentums until I heard the P7s. I love my Ortofon IEMs but I hate having to go to the doctor to get my ears cleaned out... and it will be really interesting to have something top- and bottom- heavy to go with the mid-heavy things I have already.

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #1,116 of 1,506
I'm almost certain to pick up the P7 later this month, but I'm looking forward to what people on this thread think of the relationship between the P7 and the new P5 Series 2 update! (http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/P5-Series-2.html)

For my own part I expected that I would be getting the Momentums until I heard the P7s. I love my Ortofon IEMs but I hate having to go to the doctor to get my ears cleaned out... and it will be really interesting to have something top- and bottom- heavy to go with the mid-heavy things I have already.

Wow, I didn't know this was coming. I've always loved the feel of the P5, but just lacked a bit for me. I'm now anxious to try this series 2 version.

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #1,117 of 1,506
i owned the P5 twice over...any reviews yet? 
the sound will be less "embedded" ?

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,119 of 1,506
I think the isolation from being over-ears will keep me happier with the P7, but to get the P5 portability with anything like P7 sound quality... wow.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #1,120 of 1,506
I picked up a pair of these beauties a couple days ago and am very impressed!  I'm curious - does anyone offer a longer (and maybe even coiled) cable for them?  It is long enough for portable, but I'd like it longer for use with my headphone amp.  I'm also wondering if anyone offers other earpads.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,121 of 1,506
I picked up a pair of these beauties a couple days ago and am very impressed!  I'm curious - does anyone offer a longer (and maybe even coiled) cable for them?  It is long enough for portable, but I'd like it longer for use with my headphone amp.  I'm also wondering if anyone offers other earpads.

www.bowers-wilkins.com online store offers a 5m cable and replacement ear pads.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,122 of 1,506

Here ya go: http://www.bwgroupusa.com/bwgroup-parts/index.php/bw/headphones/p7.html

I too use the cable that came with it for portable use, but then I ordered their 5 meter cable to use in my office. Good luck. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #1,123 of 1,506
Oops - guess I didn't think B&W made them and thought I was going to have to find something else.  Thanks for sharing!

After spending some more time with them today, I can say that I'm a fan of these.  Very happy I found a pair - they've kicked out the Soul V10, Soul Master Tracks, AT ATH-50M, AKG K712 Pro, and Grado SR80i.  Can't wait to play with them a little more tomorrow!

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,124 of 1,506
I've been enjoying my p7's for months now, most recently with the FiiO x5 ( turns walking around the block into a whole new experience). Then, the other night my neighbor brings over his Astell & Kerns AK120. I felt like a greyhound with the bunny whooshing past. The better the source material ( in this case flac ) and processor the better these cans make things real. This is an expensive hobby but the P7's are the most cost- effective headphones I know of.
Take a listen... :)

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,125 of 1,506
The P7's scale very well with better gear in my opinion...they sound great with the Schiit Audio Gungnir and Asgard 2 that I use with them in my office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back