Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Sep 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,126 of 1,506
That's great equipment. I have a Bifrost pumping deezer thru my Sonos /living room gear. Great DAC for the money! The P 7's were built to be efficient enough to play through an iPhone. You have to hear them with better gear. The first time I did an a/b comparison I was amazed:beerchug:

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,127 of 1,506
That's great equipment. I have a Bifrost pumping deezer thru my Sonos /living room gear. Great DAC for the money! The P 7's were built to be efficient enough to play through an iPhone. You have to hear them with better gear. The first time I did an a/b comparison I was amazed:beerchug:

I really enjoy these headphones, I find that I reach for them more often than my more expensive planar headphones. Not because they sound better, but they're lighter, more comfortable and still sound wonderful to my ears. I enjoy them more than any other closed headphone I've heard in their price range. I think the key to their sound is the use of an in-house built speaker with a surround rather than the typical mylar type driver that many headphones use that has to flex around the edge when moving. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,128 of 1,506
the curious thing is there newish fst midrange(,in there speakers is made to have no surround. strange contradiction . my B&W speaker do not use fst  they do pleeae me often enough more so then my headphones well in there own way of course. I love my original P5s though haven't herd these yet.  waiting for the p8D :) yeah I was using my t1 headphones brought them to the store and as soon as I through the p5s over my head it was like sitting in a leather couch  and the sounds  ahhhhhhhhh mmmmmm B&W !  they also scale up very well  and prefer them in quite indoor environments.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,129 of 1,506
I've seen and heard the newer FST midrange drivers and the speakers as a whole sound great. If I recall correctly, the thought behind the FST driver is that the midrange isn't required to move as much as a bass/full range driver. I believe they're looking to have better control over the midrange by not having a surround...I could be wrong as its been a while since I checked them out.

I must admit that I'm a fan of B&W speakers (Magnepan's too...B&W's in my office and Maggies in the Den) so I'm not surprised that I enjoy their headphones. I love companies that put a lot of work and money into their R&D rather than spending most of their money on advertising...though B&W does drop serious cash on ads they have a tremendous facility for R&D. 

I've heard headphones with standard fixed surround drivers that I love, I just think B&W got it right in this case...I enjoy them a lot. There are several great sounding headphones in that $400 price range right now.

I look forward to seeing if B&W comes out with a statement headphone. If not, I'll just keep reaching for the P7's more often than not...though I have been giving serious thought about getting a pair of LCD-X's.
Take care.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,130 of 1,506
After searching for that full bodied bass, good soundstage, clear detailing and wading through diff low to hi priced headphones, I have finally ended up with the P7. No other headphone can match it basing on price to performance ratio.

Granted it's more expensive than the Momentums, h6 (really? They're okay only), Hp50(good but can get harsh and not full bodied as they said)
People talk about amps and such, well, what's the point if the headphone can't deliver without one in the first place?
I use amps too but it has to be good enough without one else it's a bit of a fluff.
Lcd's bass goes way deeper though,(this one still tops my list, but they're not portable) Oppo pm1 and pm2 is not so bad as well though still far from audezes' supremacy...grado? Pfft. Same with sennheiser.. (For all the raves I'm surprised they were quite sub par from my expectations) At those prices they never delivered properly without amps to tame or boost them up (Lcd's excluded). But comparing to these higher priced models p7 kicks their ass!

Try a seasoned p7 with an ak240 or a chord hugo you'd be set :)

I know this has been asked already but I can't wade through the hundreds of comments, I need a case!
Anybody got recommendations as I'm paranoid my gear will get crushed.
So far slappa case seems the most hardy.. I don't mind any brand as long as it protects my gear and looks nice :)

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,132 of 1,506
Thanks found a great case. Wacks. It fits the p7 nicely without stressing the cables.. Not much else room for anything but it's the sturdiest case I've found plus it's nicely detailed. Gonna show a few pics next post. So glad I didn't order anything yet as was about to get a gocase c type case.
Get Wacks they make a similar case for the parrot zik. The case doesn't easily give way as most cases does. :)

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,133 of 1,506

Here ya go guys :) check it out :) best case I found yet. Perfect fit without being too loose and not is it too tight to cause stress on any of its parts :) plus the little mini me case for cables I guess

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,134 of 1,506
^^ Thanks for sharing. Like the color too. Where exactly did you get it? I tried searching Amazon but came up dry.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,135 of 1,506
^^ Thanks for sharing. Like the color too. Where exactly did you get it? I tried searching Amazon but came up dry.

It looks like it says "WACKS" on top but that name didn't pull up anything on Amazon.

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #1,136 of 1,506
I will never buy anything B&W again after I found out how they treat customers. I had a pair of P5s which I bought in Europe. After I moved to Singapore, the right side stopped playing. I went to the B&W shop and they told me it would cost $150 just to have a look at them. Reparation might even cost up to $300. After much negotiation they looked at it and told me that had repaired it (took them 2 months). The moment I came home, the right side went out again. I contacted B&W HQ but they even didn't want to say anything and told me to go to the local shop. Long story short, the headphones were never repaired and I was out $150 for an expensive piece of junk. To put insult to injury, the local agent mailed me 6 months later and promised to look into it. Never heard from them again. Worst service ever.

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,137 of 1,506

The brand of the case is Wacks.
http://www.wackscases.com
Not sure where the company is from though, didn't really bother but the quality is superb. a tad more expensive but worth it.
I just found the last stock at the local shop here in Singapore. (At AV1. The guys there are quite nice too.)

I Share your pain Singapura, really had bad experience dealing with the local B&W as well last time. Not all the staff at The Experts group are bad though.. but yeah, its difficult having a b&w product anywhere in asia. Seems the only good service is at UK.

So far though, P7 tops in sound quality compared to other brands with higher prices (HD800, PS1000 they both have pluses and minuses but overall not really good as is.) Initially had the momentums but it didn't go deep in the low end. After relentlessly auditioning higher end headphones, only P7 and OPPO Pm1 came closest to the Audezes. Everything else is mostly fluffed. 
Didn't like P5 too..it seemed too recessed. P7 scales up well too. no distortion even at high volume listening. 

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,138 of 1,506
  I will never buy anything B&W again after I found out how they treat customers. I had a pair of P5s which I bought in Europe. After I moved to Singapore, the right side stopped playing. I went to the B&W shop and they told me it would cost $150 just to have a look at them. Reparation might even cost up to $300. After much negotiation they looked at it and told me that had repaired it (took them 2 months). The moment I came home, the right side went out again. I contacted B&W HQ but they even didn't want to say anything and told me to go to the local shop. Long story short, the headphones were never repaired and I was out $150 for an expensive piece of junk. To put insult to injury, the local agent mailed me 6 months later and promised to look into it. Never heard from them again. Worst service ever.

wow...that succccccczzz man  !!   Not sure how these international warranty work. hmmmm

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,139 of 1,506
I got to hear the P7s at the Apple store last night. I think they sound fantastic for a portable pair of headphones. They are a little bit brighter than my closed Alpha Dogs and have a more "up front" soundstage. They have an airy and punchy sound that is very enjoyable. I want a pair for school/work/gym :]

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,140 of 1,506
Hi, just got a pair of them. Am I the only one to think that they don't worth €400 ? Very dark, not very detailed sound and overall I feel that treble is missing. Overall, I prefer my pair of Sony MH1. Tried with an AK120 with FLAC files. 

On the + side, they are comfortable. 
If there is any tip, I take them :)

Have a nice day 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back