Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Jul 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,096 of 1,506
  Guys, someone comparing 1R/1RBT and P7 share impressions .....
Thanks!

Haven't heard the BT version but the regular 1R is pretty much the opposite of the P7. Yes they both have pretty good soundstage for closed headphones, but the sound signatures are so different.
Treble - both have good extension but the 1R has a very laid back top end, so overall it sounds very warm, even dark by some standards. P7 has lots of treble energy, very crisp sounding without being harsh. Treble resolution is amazing.
Mids - 1R has very warm, lush, rich mids. P7 is rather dry and lean in the lower mids.
Bass - 1R has a midbass hump which masks the subbass. P7 has emphasized bass but the emphasis is lower compared to the 1R (much more subwoofer-like) and the leaner lower mids makes it sound cleaner and less boomy.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #1,097 of 1,506
Having spent some time with these phones, I'm impressed:) They are non fatiguing, lovely treble, and I don't notice them on my head even after  hours at the desk. They do improve with amping too. Fiio E18 tightens the bottom end.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,098 of 1,506
Tested the P7 again, this time with a samsung S2+ E18.... 
must say i like what i heard out of this combo...enuf for me to consider looking for one ;P

( also tried the Beo...comparatively hollow vs the P7 )

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,099 of 1,506
  Tested the P7 again, this time with a samsung S2+ E18.... 
must say i like what i heard out of this combo...enuf for me to consider looking for one ;P

( also tried the Beo...comparatively hollow vs the P7 )

Listening to the P7s now with Note3 and E18, definitely an excellent matchup. Neutron Player is the way to go. I did find the OEM P7 case completely useless (not big enough), but a simple drawstring headphone bag is usually enough for me. When it isn't I use a large size Casebudi.

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #1,100 of 1,506
Been on the market for my first >$300 cans. Came down to maybe 6 of em, and after reading so many reviews and threads and getting the chance to try a few out in stores I went with the P7s.  Luckily I've got a 30 day return on em, but I'm liking what I'm hearing after only owning them for 24 hours, with maybe 6-8 hours of play.

The mids feel like they're starting to even out more, they still feel kind of withdrawn though... Before the bass was a little too prominent, treble seemed a little too bright, occasionally to the point where it was too piercing, but I feel like it's from my mostly 320kbs mp3 and library and such. For some reason I feel like I have more appreciation for them when played off my HTC One than when played off my Mac Book Pro... 

Since I've only recently starting upgrading my library to FLAC and ALAC, I don't quite see the need to throw down money on a DAC/AMP like an E17 or E18 quite yet. Is the difference with a decent portable DAC/AMP significant, even with MP3 and such?

They tend to feel like they run rather quiet also.. more accurate than most headphones I've had the privilege of listening to, but they just feel like they're quiet, or less large and full of a sound... Something just feels like it's missing, which I'm guessing is just from the need for higher fidelity audio... I tend to want to bump them above 60 Percent on both my Macbook and my HTC One... or are my ears just getting that bad?? hahah

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,102 of 1,506
http://www.head-fi.org/t/690036/fiio-e18-does-your-smartphone-work-with-it-for-usb-audio-tell-us-about-it-here-and-we-will-award-you-10-internets

u are in luck...believe the HTC ONE is being supported by the E18

This dac/amp has a high/Lo gain switch....and a bassboost switch...
v versatile...i remembered putting the gain to HIGH, n the P7 sounded fuller, more upfront.

geez....dun u wear surgical gloves when handling your cans??? 

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #1,103 of 1,506
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/690036/fiio-e18-does-your-smartphone-work-with-it-for-usb-audio-tell-us-about-it-here-and-we-will-award-you-10-internets

u are in luck...believe the HTC ONE is being supported by the E18

This dac/amp has a high/Lo gain switch....and a bassboost switch...
v versatile...i remembered putting the gain to HIGH, n the P7 sounded fuller, more upfront.

Nice! Good to know! Its amazing how great these are starting to sound for portables. But it sounds like the E18's would help get that sound I felt myself wanting out of these. No doubt upgrading my library will make a difference too.

geez....dun u wear surgical gloves when handling your cans??? 

Seriously though... they feel too gorgeous to just let them get a careless scuff already...
Plus there's the off chance I'll return em... but I'm starting to adore them.... granted I haven't been able to do any side by side comparisons...

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,104 of 1,506
 i suspect the p7 will be glorious with a tube amp.... 
what do u guys think/experienced? 

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,105 of 1,506
The leather is pretty durable.  I have had them since November and some time after letting someone else try them, I noticed my headband was cracked/broken.  Hard to see since it is inside the leather/padding.  But over time the leather started to wrinkle.  Still don't know how it happened.  I bought mine with the 4 year plan at Best Buy, so I took them in and got a new pair about a month ago.  The clamping is MUCH higher now.  I have never had any trouble with the leather on them.  I do agree they are beautiful and the leather feels/looks so great.  As for sound, these are nearly perfect to my taste.  I would just like to push the bass a touch more.  I am a bass head. :)  I wish on the iPhone I could use an EQ other than the built in ones.  I know there are EQ apps, but I am OCD about play counts and Last.fm and the EQ apps seem to bypass both.  I use a NuForce Icon Ido with my P7's and I just love them.  And I've tried all the usual suspects and none have made me as happy as the P7's.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #1,106 of 1,506
  The leather is pretty durable.  I have had them since November and some time after letting someone else try them, I noticed my headband was cracked/broken.  Hard to see since it is inside the leather/padding.  But over time the leather started to wrinkle.  Still don't know how it happened.  I bought mine with the 4 year plan at Best Buy, so I took them in and got a new pair about a month ago.  The clamping is MUCH higher now.  I have never had any trouble with the leather on them.  I do agree they are beautiful and the leather feels/looks so great.  As for sound, these are nearly perfect to my taste.  I would just like to push the bass a touch more.  I am a bass head. :)  I wish on the iPhone I could use an EQ other than the built in ones.  I know there are EQ apps, but I am OCD about play counts and Last.fm and the EQ apps seem to bypass both.  I use a NuForce Icon Ido with my P7's and I just love them.  And I've tried all the usual suspects and none have made me as happy as the P7's.

Since you've had em a while, would you say they get more comfortable with use?? Definitely feeling like the pads on the top and cups could be softer, and I'm hoping they break in.  I don't think it's from the clamping... for some reason mine feels somewhat loose. Maybe because I have a somewhat narrow head??

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,107 of 1,506
Feel along the top of the band and make sure it feels the same rigidity all the way around.  When my first pair was broken, you could see where it was bending in the middle and it was much less rigid.

As I said in the comparison thread, the P7 has always been comfortable to me.  I wear glasses and have never felt any discomfort from wearing the P7's for several hours.  I do think the ear pads soften a bit with time though.  And with my glasses, I swap them side to side to try to keep the indentations from the arms on my glasses to a minimum.

Ultimately it's an individual thing though.  What one person raves about you might not care for.  And what you find perfect might be garbage to someone else.  So it comes down to your taste and comfort and what you are looking for.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #1,108 of 1,506

Yes, which makes P7 even more... overpriced I guess. :p

I don't think they're over priced at all. I've listened to a multitude of high end headphones and these are actually my favorite for their warm and welcoming sound. Add in their soundstage and comfort they're everything I've wanted in a can. The Momentums are very nice but the lack of portability and smaller ear cups put the P7's wear they should I believe.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #1,109 of 1,506
This comparison thread may be helpful...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-21-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Note that P7 & the NAD are included.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,110 of 1,506
Haven't heard the BT version but the regular 1R is pretty much the opposite of the P7. Yes they both have pretty good soundstage for closed headphones, but the sound signatures are so different.
Treble - both have good extension but the 1R has a very laid back top end, so overall it sounds very warm, even dark by some standards. P7 has lots of treble energy, very crisp sounding without being harsh. Treble resolution is amazing.
Mids - 1R has very warm, lush, rich mids. P7 is rather dry and lean in the lower mids.
Bass - 1R has a midbass hump which masks the subbass. P7 has emphasized bass but the emphasis is lower compared to the 1R (much more subwoofer-like) and the leaner lower mids makes it sound cleaner and less boomy.

10-point scale, an overall assessment of what sound would you put?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back